(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Ashan »

raekuul wrote: 6 years ago BN3 won't be concluding this afternoon, if only because I still have the rest of the quote-unquote boss refights to do.

Still, looking forward to having some element that isn't Elec for once.
Is that Battle Network 3?
Your last post was about randomizers.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Yep

Battle Network 3 and Ceilick's Commander Keen in The Universe Is Toast are my current streamed games, plus I'm participating in the weekly Zelda 3 rando races starting this Saturday (though only for the Saturday variant - I don't have the right times available for the Sunday one)
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
aka Cthulhu
Totally not a murderous tentacle. You can trust him.

Post by aka Cthulhu »

Back to playing Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead once more. Perhaps it's age (though I'm not *that* old), but recently I noticed that I'm satisfied playing just a small handful of games, compared to when I was young and I'd play so many different games. Still, an open survival sandbox set on a zombie apocalypse is fun as heck (for me).

Kinda saddened that raocow's LP of Larn was just a one episode tease. If it went on for longer I might have been compelled to comment and kvetch about it. Roguelike's are by far one of my favorite game types: the randomization, the permadeath, and the joy of finding a randart and finding that it works so well on your playstyle...
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I started Super Mario Odyssey myself last night. Fun time, but I think I'm going to detach the Joycons the next time I play since I want to pull off all these crazy moves that I wasn't able to with them connected to the tablet still.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Beat the final final level of Super Mario Odyssey. 100% is still far from done, but... Wow. Nintendo made a level that really challenged me. Pounded my controller into the couch a few times, got up and hit a chair, invented some new words. Good stuff.
I remember "The Perfect Run" from Super Mario Galaxy 2 being pretty difficult. I don't remember much about that, but I think this is harder. If not only for its length. Felt incredibly satisfying to finish, though.
Bean wrote: 6 years ago I started Super Mario Odyssey myself last night. Fun time, but I think I'm going to detach the Joycons the next time I play since I want to pull off all these crazy moves that I wasn't able to with them connected to the tablet still.
I feel like the motion controls are a huge blemish on an otherwise fantastic game. It's not a huge deal to me since I only play my Switch on the television anyway, but I imagine it's amplified 100x when you're viewing the screen on your controller. Like, when I want to do the orbit hat throw (where it rotates around you a few times), I always am just playing with the Pro controller so I basically just let go with my left hand and do a small flick with my right hand. That's not really an option when playing in handheld mode. And even stuff like shaking, which is a pretty common thing to make Cappy home into an enemy, just isn't a thing you do on a handheld.
And a lot of the gestures only seem to be there for the sake of being a gesture, which was really annoying. And if there's a button input equivalent, they gimp it. For example:
  • To do the aforementioned rotation throw from button inputs, you have to do a few rotations with the joy stick to get Mario to start spinning, then you can throw the cap. As opposed to being able to immediately do it with the motion controls
  • Crouching and shaking will let you do boosted rolls forward, which is a fast method of traveling. You can do similar rolls by crouching and pressing Y, but they made those rolls slower for seemingly no reason.
  • Similar to the last one, while climbing a vine you shake the controller to climb faster (which is completely stupid if you ask me). You can also climb faster by holding Y, but AGAIN it's not as fast as the max speed you can get by shaking
It's really a great game, I don't know why they had to shoehorn in these motion control annoyances, especially when it was designed for a platform that can be used as a handheld.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I think my goal in Mario Odyssey is to just gather up as many of those Power Moons as I can before depositing them. Managed to get over 60 of them on the left of my screen, but I think I should've taken off for the next place instead since there's no other way for me to backtrack at this point without continuing on. Oh well.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I haven't even stepped in the Metro Kingdom yet because I'm trying to do literally everything I possibly can before moving on.

Does the game ever explain what these

hint pictures

are supposed to be about or is it literally just 'lol good luck'?

I mean clues are fine when you understand what you're supposed to be doing with the clues but when you don't...

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

It's showing you

where in the level to ground pound

. I'll say right now that the one in the

Sand Kingdom is farther away than you think

. I am just about to land in the Metro Kingdom myself now after stopping tonight. Things are going well enough.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

I wish you hadn't just told me what to do but OK

Actually I should probably be glad you told me bc idk how long I would've fucked around otherwise vOv
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

My bad. I'll keep from even semi-spoiling anything else even with the boxes since this is probably one of the games everyone on here that has a Switch wants to play. That one secret that was spoiler boxed though was real annoying when I found out how it worked. It's a little too vague.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I've managed to figure out a few of the pictures on my own, and when you do get them it's pretty satisfying. But some of the are just like... wat

I'm doing whatever moons I can without guides, but eventually I'm gonna end up just looking up the last few, I'm sure. I already had to look up a moon in Bonneton:

There's one where you have to look through the binocular things and look towards the flying hat machines with sails and zoom into one that's a taxi... for some reason...

Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

Mario odyssey progress (Kept in spoiler in case I do spoil something for someone I'm not sure
Finally reached the 500 moon threshold, and I have so far 100% 2 of the kingdoms, wish me luck for the rest
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

It took quite a while but FF7 is done. And yep, that's the last screen, no The End. Harrumph.
And I have to give the game some props, even given how overhyped the game was going in. It's fairly solid. The Materia system was pretty cool, and the world was expansive, with plenty of different towns and areas. Cait Sith is dorb. Animated movies were nifty, and explain the overall need for three discs. Final boss fight was solid.
But then we have some complaints.
I spent the first third to half of the game semi-bored, only really getting into it in the weirdo labyrinth dungeon and beyond. The excessive amount of flashbacks and plot heaviness of the beginning really slowed the game down. (Around 15 hours of playtime in.)
Then we move on to things that caused a lot of grief timewise. Battle animations of some enemies take ridiculous amounts of time and some maps take ages to traverse. There were some fights I'd input my commands, put my controller on my head and wait for around a minute for them to finish their animations and for my dudes to attack, killing them.
Then there's the plot, you'll have to excuse me if I consider this game's big bad and the main characters excessive want to chase after him sort of nonsensically doofy.
Last but not least, Hojo is a butt.
I figure 7 just eeks out above 2 but below 5. Here's my updated rankings through 7 (and X).
6,X,5,7,2,1,3,4
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

You ranked FF2 that high? I mean, I like it better than most people but it's still pretty much at the bottom of the list.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

AuraLancer wrote: 6 years agoYou ranked FF2 that high? I mean, I like it better than most people but it's still pretty much at the bottom of the list.
The GBA remake is my personal favorite Final Fantasy. I really don't see why people seem to hate it so much.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago
AuraLancer wrote: 6 years agoYou ranked FF2 that high? I mean, I like it better than most people but it's still pretty much at the bottom of the list.
The GBA remake is my personal favorite Final Fantasy. I really don't see why people seem to hate it so much.
The completely bland characters and plot (which is a silly complaint because it was their first attempt and it's an NES game), the level up system (which I like, actually) and the atrocious dungeon design (which I agree with)
Those are why the game is disliked so much. It also doesn't help that most of us never got to play it until after Final Fantasy X released so we didn't get proper context with it in the series as a whole
Alice

Post by Alice »

AuraLancer wrote: 6 years agoThe completely bland characters and plot (which is a silly complaint because it was their first attempt and it's an NES game), the level up system (which I like, actually) and the atrocious dungeon design (which I agree with)
Those are why the game is disliked so much. It also doesn't help that most of us never got to play it until after Final Fantasy X released so we didn't get proper context with it in the series as a whole
First one is definitely a silly complaint. Not only is it one of the earliest FF games but FF games don't tend to have extremely complicated plots to begin with. I don't see how the characters could be more bland than literal blank slate characters (read: FF1, not to say it's a bad game either) since those don't have any characterization whatsoever.

Agreed on the level up system. That's probably my favorite part of the entire game.

Can't really argue with the final point, though I didn't particularly mind the dungeons for the most part. (Other than a few of the later ones which I only disliked simply due to sheer length.)
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

To anyone who's played Axiom Verge, did you find the telporting thing to be janky as hell? I had so much trouble trying to teleport upwards to get to a platform today on stream.
That crazy voice dude
Alice

Post by Alice »

InsaneIntentions1 wrote: 6 years agoTo anyone who's played Axiom Verge, did you find the telporting thing to be janky as hell? I had so much trouble trying to teleport upwards to get to a platform today on stream.
Teleporting seriously needed to be tied to button+direction. It was a far more annoying ability to use than it ever should have been.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

So, now that I have Saturn Emulation working, I started playing Saturn Bomberman
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I got Fire Emblem Warriors.
It's pretty neat. For some reason a thief only showed up like twice during the story mode, but it felt like they were making a huge deal out of it when the first one showed up.
I started on history mode a bit, too.
But man do I want to level up some.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I decided to suck it up and do the 100 jumps with the jump rope in Mario Odyssey. Surprisingly, I got it on the third try. Still have the volleyball one to worry about though.
I've currently cleaned up all of the kingdoms up to the Metro Kingdom.

I'm currently at the endgame of Monster Hunter Stories and have my team set in stone. My wife says there's a ton of post game content though.

Also, Splatoon 2
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

AuraLancer wrote: 6 years agoSplatoon 2
I stopped playing Spoon 2 for a while because of UR MR OSY but I need to get back into it esp since there are gonna be some big ol updates coming soon, including one basically right now I hear.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

AuraLancer wrote: 6 years ago I decided to suck it up and do the 100 jumps with the jump rope in Mario Odyssey. Surprisingly, I got it on the third try. Still have the volleyball one to worry about though.
I've currently cleaned up all of the kingdoms up to the Metro Kingdom.

I'm currently at the endgame of Monster Hunter Stories and have my team set in stone. My wife says there's a ton of post game content though.

Also, Splatoon 2
For the volleyball one, you could just do what most sane people did, and play in 2 player, where you put mario to the side and hit the ball as cappy
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I'll keep that in mind when I get around to it, thanks.