(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

I started Guardian's Crusade the other day. Very simple game, but very cute. Closest thing to a Mystic Quest 2 there is.
Its Japanese name is "Knight and Baby" which is even more precious. Sadly I ruined it by naming Knight "David".

Navigating the maps is pretty hell due to the super close camera obscuring everything, something that can be a death knell to many I'm sure.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I don't think Tubular is the hardest level, but it's definitely the most punishing.
Of course it might be because I've seen the level so many times that I just have it memorized or something.
Getting all the Dragon Coins, though, that's another story.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Finished Astral Chain the other day! Really loved it; the story gets pretty ridiculous near the end in Platinum fashion, but it's all in good fun for the most part, so that was nice. Will gradually work on the post-game missions.

Also started up Touhou 12. I dunno man, people may say 11 is one of the hardest in the series, but I'm having a way harder time with this one. Maybe it's because the difficulty curve is kinda wack with this one while it's more gradual in 11, but this is gonna take me longer, I feel. Fun though!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I found getting the dragon coins in Tubular roughly as difficult as beating the level. Although I also didn't get them all and beat the level in the same run, I died after getting the 5th one. All in all it took me like maybe 5 or so lives I think? More than any other level in my completion.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

I accidentally did a spin jump at the start of Castle 3 and it was the most terrifying thing
Thankfully the Cape is a powerful tool, and I learned that it can destroy the magikoopa's magic
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

I recently finished Brutal Legend's single player mode. Major highlight of the game is when a BDSM demon lord with the voice of Tim Curry takes a break from slaughtering the armies of man by rocking out on his four necked guitar in order to deliver the "your mom" of the decade.
Reading up on the game, it's pretty disappointing to see that the developers had a lot more plans for the game but never got around to them because of time/budget constraints and low sales numbers.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

I never realized how quickly you can get the Super Missiles in Super Metroid...

I also have gotten through the Forest of Illusion in SMW.
Forest of Illusion 2 might just be my least favorite level.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

I'm trying to 100% Yoshi's Island right now, just finished the World 5 fortress! Doing this has been an interesting experience for me, as normally whenever I'd play through, I'd get 100% in Worlds 1-2, but then I'd miss something in world 3 and then just give up and just play through the rest of the game. Very fun with getting everything and then crying at them extra levels! (Which aren't as hard as people have made them out to be, though that might be the rewind feature talking to me)
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: What games are other people playing?

Post by Awoo »

Slimeman01 wrote: 4 years ago I'm trying to 100% Yoshi's Island right now, just finished the World 5 fortress! Doing this has been an interesting experience for me, as normally whenever I'd play through, I'd get 100% in Worlds 1-2, but then I'd miss something in world 3 and then just give up and just play through the rest of the game. Very fun with getting everything and then crying at them extra levels! (Which aren't as hard as people have made them out to be, though that might be the rewind feature talking to me)
Shame that Lord Puddington is only in like what, that one level?
I always thought that Lord Puddington section was fun/neat. Wish there were more Yoshi's Island hacks
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Slimeman01 wrote: 4 years ago I'm trying to 100% Yoshi's Island right now, just finished the World 5 fortress! Doing this has been an interesting experience for me, as normally whenever I'd play through, I'd get 100% in Worlds 1-2, but then I'd miss something in world 3 and then just give up and just play through the rest of the game. Very fun with getting everything and then crying at them extra levels! (Which aren't as hard as people have made them out to be, though that might be the rewind feature talking to me)
Literally came to this thread to mention I'm 100%ing Yoshi's Island right now. I just finished world 2, had a lot of fun in world 2 extra (with the switch race and turbo french bread platforms) and finally got through it with all the red coins/flowers, and... Got 80 points cause I neglected the stars. You gotta go left first to a pipe where they just give them to you. Thankfully it's a lot easier once you know the level layout and I got it again on my first try!
I've never used the rewind feature cause it kinda ruins the point of... video games...
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

There's no shame in using emulator tools if you want to but I'm somewhat baffled at the idea of doing that and then concluding "ok these aren't hard, everyone else was just exaggerating"
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago There's no shame in using emulator tools if you want to but I'm somewhat baffled at the idea of doing that and then concluding "ok these aren't hard, everyone else was just exaggerating"
Yeah, deeeeefinetly the rewind talking to me. I still thoroughly enjoyed them extra levels though, they're super fun and unique! And once I unlock all of them, I'll go back and beat em without using it!
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

Finally started to play WoW Classic and went Deadmines yesterday with my 4 siblings...
Oh boy, do i miss some QoL stuff, but it also feels great that it isn't a piece of cake until raiding begins. Let's see if i still play it after this month.
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Been working on my 1cc run of Touhou 12. I still think it's harder than 11. Most of my runs go pretty great since it's so easy to get lives, then either fall apart at Shou if I get unlucky or just crumble when I get to Byakuren (her non-spells are WAY harder than her actual spells like what the fuck). I'll get it eventually!

I also picked up King of Fighters XIV. I've only played '00,'01, '03, and XI, so this was a pretty big jump for me, but I'm really enjoying it! Much more reasonable difficulty curve compared to the Neo Geo games, and everything feels very nice to play. Whip is always my main but I'm having A LOT of fun with Blue Mary in this game. She became one of my favorite characters.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Guardian's Crusade
  • Got the Chester Flute due to helping some Kerplean natives, by killing the monster they were sacrificing women and children to, and started Chapter 3: Wider Worlds. This is basically when the game opens up and you can go almost anywhere, that your boat water bug can dock at at least. So far I'm at Den Heldar.
PoPoLoCROIS Monogatari
  • Still haven't gotten the Propeller Screw back to Postof in Pasela. Why? Because I've been busy getting the 竜の玉. Dragon Spheres, Dragon Orbs, Dragon Balls, go with whichever you prefer. I know which you're gonna pick though. chala, head chalaaaa. I accidentally went for what appears to be the hardest one first? Which is the Ukki King battle (Ook-Ook King, if you'd rather).
  • There's these monkey enemies named Ukkis (Ook-Ooks, in other words) that are a huge pain to deal with but can be dealt with by being around Lv20. Above that is a higher rank equivalent named the Ukki Lords (Ook-Ook Lords) which are even more of a pain. The Ukki King is basically Ukki Lords on acid. Worst boss battle of the game.
  • I want to say the White Knight's Jumping Slash (ジャンプぎり) saved my ass. Heat Blaze (a strength buffing magic learned by Pietro), and the White Knight's Provoke (ちょうはつ) (an enemy baiting technique) may have helped, since he had good defense. I had Narcia set up Mist Screen on herself to avoid enemies killing her, just in case. Likewise with casting Speed Wind (supiiido uiindo~) to buff up agility. Her Wind Blaze (a defense buffing magic) would have helped probably, but ah well. Outside of that, I just cast Pietro's Heal Water, Cure Water and Narcia's Heal Rain when necessary (Cure Water is basically Esuna, Heal Water and Heal Rain are HP healing spells, Heal Rain heals everyone, Heal Water heals only 1). Sometimes going for Saint Arc (a Lightning spell) and Holy Burst (a strong magic that damages all enemies) because I was half panicking. I also tried Pietro's Lightning Fall (いなづまおとし) because Leo (れお) used it on her LP and I was using her vid as a guide (full playlist here, in ye old Nihongo!). Nonetheless I was victorious. Somehow.
  • I later went back to get the one down in the Godrif Mines. You basically pick up a little ball of soot that's oddly out of place next to the pile of dirt right beside it in the very bottom level. You later take it to the Fountain of Gallop back in the Fronel Forest (かけあしの泉, it literally translates to fountain of hurry, I'm going with the PSP translation, I'd have gone with Fountain of Presto, or Presto Fountain for that speed meaning, but to sound less weird, y'know) where the little fairy there cleans it up and reveals its another Dragon Ball.
  • The last one I have to find is at a Martial Arts tournament in the Monster Village. First off you have to fight a Crocodile Battler (Wani Battler) and a Needler. Those aren't too hard, but then there's the Golem. It is a really hard encounter for the level I am right now. So I'm thinking of leaving it until later, if I can. I have to do them before Chapter 4 I believe, because else the (SPOILERS)

Demon King of Ice encases everything in ice and you can't really go anywhere

. The thing is once I get all these I can get an upgrade to the Dragon Sword (竜の剣), which is the Dragon Saber (ドラゴンセイバー), if I go to the house at the Southern Beach. I believe that's Pietro's best weapon. I think this entire sidequest was excised from the PSP anthology.
Wild ARMs 2
  • I honestly just started. The prologues were nice and the game feels good to play. Translation has that late 90s, early 2000s fan patch stank, I'll admit, but it doesn't feel like a bad game so far. I'm looking forward to Liz and Ard, their dialogues apparently got fucked up something awful. Previously all I played was up to the Telepath Tower.
  • I can sorta relate to and empathize with the current party so maybe that has an effect on me.
  • Update! Update! Made it to Telepath Tower. Gonna take a break and continue either later in the morning or at dawn depending on whether or not I can get some shut eye tonight. So far I've been doing okay with that.
Image Image
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

I've never actually beaten Super Metroid, so it was pretty neat getting to play through the ending and stuff myself instead of seeing it through a LP.
It also feels nice playing it with a controller.

I'm very close to the end of the Black Eagles route of Fire Emblem Three Houses. It's been pretty fun.

Specifically the Church route, I'll do the Edelgard route evetnually.

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Did the Ghost Ship dungeon at the Ship Graveyard in Popolocrois Monogatari but the Ripper Licker at the end is kicking my ass. No Narcia, only Pietro and White Knight. I'll give it another shot tomorrow once I'm done reading the text through Leo's LP (Not really fond of interrupting my gameplay repeatedly to translate large bits of dialogue if it's a language I'm still a novice at orz sorry).

Maybe equip the Dragon Talisman (りゅうのおふだ) on Pietro to prevent Poison and focus on using him as a healer and buffer for WK (who'll be the tank and damager). Saint Arc would be very useful but... I'll try to think of something. I can grind if I need to, the Flying Yacht has an inn to save and rest.

Narcia can't go along with em on the Flying Yacht because she's a Witch of the Forest, so she's not allowed to depart from the woods and mountains. I think

you get a plot device (a spell, an item, not sure yet) that allows Narcia to turn into Kai whenever she goes near the seas though, allowing her to leave land.

They also only had enough fuel to only be able to fly when approaching Bryonia which is like nice job Postof

I didn't play Wild Arms 2 today, sorry.

EDIT: Beat Licker, went through the Adrift Village, got Kai, made it to Bryonia, got Gami Gami to join the party and I'm about to fight the Bal Core that's gone berserk. The kids are alright.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Been playing Super Kirby Clash. It's pretty much the same thing as the other free game was on the 3DS only with new bosses. Works for me.
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Finally completed my 1cc of Touhou 12! Still stand by my opinion that this game is harder than 11 overall. Fun though; the patterns are pretty unique compared to past games. Surprisingly only lost two lives on Byakuren, who I consider to be one of the harder bosses so far (mostly because of her non-spells along with fucking "Star Maelstrom"). "Devil's Recitation" is also hands-down the most fun spell in the game; I love that attack. All in all, very fun, and DAMN YOU CURVY LASERS

Will start on 13 soon. Probably my favorite in the series from a character, musical, and setting perspective, but I've never actually played it before, so we'll see how it goes!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Went through Bryonia in PoPoLoCrois Monogatari! Beat the Bal Core. Whole thing went boom, but the token furry (Sabow) made it out with us, a la Shadow from FF6 (only you didn't have to wait like 5 minutes). Gami Gami Devil went back to find a book to help us find a path to the World of Darkness so we're heading to Sword Mountain to talk to a sage named Raduk about a portal. Although, the Flying Yacht is all fucked up from all that.

We tried to go to Gami Gami's ruined base but in the end the Gami RX9 got stolen by the Ice Demon's four servants. Still got some fat loot out of it, Gami Gami Cannon too (found the Engineer Robot).

Rested up at Gami Gami City and will continue later. Also finally got the last Dragon Orb and obtained the Dragon Saber tech! (thought it was a sword from the name)

All in all, at Chapter 3: the World of Darkness.

Sabow/Sabo is precious by the way.

I love this game so much, it's so infectiously sweet, but so mean in terms of difficulty! Truly a shame translating it is so hard due to how it's coded. I'm playing it using an FAQ so don't feel bad if you want to play it but can't read Japanese.
Image Image
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Finished Touhou 13! Probably tied with 7 for my favorite in the series so far. Definitely one of the easiest ones, but it makes for that in its music, atmosphere, and style. Also seems to be one of the more replayable ones, what with spell practice, four playable characters, and overdrive versions of certain spell cards. Had a lot of fun finally playing this one!
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago No idea what to play next. Finished Supra on Sunday and haven't started anything new since, just been playing DDR and Warframe as always.
Well, I've not stopped either of those, but I have picked up Etterna, a Stepmania clone for PC that lets me play DDR at home in addition to wasting my money at the arcade. Warframe's Nightwave season 2 has been alright, a bit too easy for me but I'm now taking a break for a few weeks.

Touhou Luna Nights! A delightful but fairly short (5 hour) Metroidvania, with a harsh extra stage (+3 hours). I cannot beat

Reimu phase 2

, I'm just not high enough level and don't feel like grinding to get the extra health and damage necessary! Otherwise satisfying for what it is, and I enjoyed the range of 2hu characters. Shortfall of Chen, but that's to be expected in a SDM setting.

Dandara! An intriguing Metroidvania where you cannot move or jump conventionally - you must zip from wall to wall, surface to surface, in a manner a little like VVVVVV's flipping but with no side to side control - you commit to a point-to-point dash every time you move. The story is vague and alludes to legendary figures and stories in Brazilian folklore but it was almost completely lost on me. The combat in this is... pretty weak, and the bosses didn't inspire much feeling. It has a few good setpieces, but the interesting core movement mechanic is let down by an uninvolving world and a lack of interesting challenges. It uses a Dark Souls/Hollow Knight recovery mechanism and levelling up, but that never seems to amount to a whole lot of meaning beyond early sections forcing you to restart from checkpoint a lot.

Celeste Chapter 9: Farewell! An unexpectedly smooth journey for me. I thought it'd take a week just to re-learn the controls, but no, Celeste's incredible three-button controls (jump, dash, grip) came back to me naturally. It still added a whopping 10 hours or so to my existing 30 hour playtime where I left off after finishing 8C. It feels like an A-side, B-side and C-side all put end to end as one huge megalevel. And it even has a sweet and satisfying story! Very recommended, anyone who likes Celeste should absolutely give this extended sendoff a try.

Warhammer 40000: Mechanicus! An Xcom-like game set in the Warhammer universe, but focusing on the Adeptus Mechanicus - a subfaction of the Imperium of Mankind, who prize the acquisition of knowledge and technology despite also being part of the imperial cult and all its dogma. They've pissed off a bunch of Space Skeletons (Necrons) and now they're in a turn-based battle to the death against time in a tomb world. It's fun so far, if a little slow. I'll update with more information once I'm a bit deeper.
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Went through Hatahata Village, Sword Mountain and made it to the World of Darkness in Popolocrois. Very cute locale, looks a lot like a daycare in the middle of a void. Hatahata and Sword Mountain were primarily east Asian inspired locales. Jumbo, Raduk's bodyguard was super cute~

The shrinking segment with the tiny toy house in the World of Darkness that becomes normal sized once you shrink was a really cute touch, reminded me a lot of Dr. Leo's Laboratory in Soul Blazer, the town models. I don't know if I'm gonna do the Coliseum nearby. You have to fight some tough enemies...

Tried to play some Legend of Zelda 1 to try and distract from depression, but I forgot how the game is actually kinda hard? I had to kinda "turtle" to get the Darknuts guarding the locked door that leads to the staircase of the raft because fuck dealing with the clunky controls. I kinda gave up on it by Level 5 (yeah 4 in one day hmu gamer boys), but I dunno, I guess I could try again when I'm feeling less like a sack of shit.

Oh yeah I also just plowed through 90 exits of Super Mario World yesterday in a depressed sorta haze, just have to finish World 7 (like Valley 3 to Castle 7) and I'm on the clear. I'll do Bowser instead of the backdoor just out of respect. The level I had the most issues with was Outrageous. It's always Outrageous, never Tubular. I lose a few lives in Tubular but I can get it done because it's short. Outrageous I have to fly over it. Saved at Donut Ghost House, I think.

Thinking of playing something like Clock Tower (not Ghost Head, preferrably. sorry Bates u still the mvp), Silent Hill 1-3, classic Resident Evil, Fatal Frame 1&2, Sweet Home, D&D2 + Enemy Zero sometime soon, I've never really played horror games before.~

EDIT: Turns out my issues with Zelda were from playing it blind and not going for all the optional stuff available at the start (white sword, letter, heart containers, blue ring + secret moblins). Made it to Level 5.
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I forgot a little game I wanted to show some support for!

Sokobunny! https://dreams.itch.io/sokobunny-prototype is a cute little puzzlescript game. On the easier side for sokobans, but if you like games like Baba is You or Stephen's Sausage Roll, it's worth a try. Think it took me about a hour, although I know I took a break at some point. The key twist is being able to warp through blocks or store blocks!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Been playing Clock Tower 1 on the SNES (not to be confused with Clock Tower 2 on the PSX which is known as Clock Tower 1 in the west because ???). Never really played a point & click game before so this is all new to me. The encounters with Scissorman are more funny than frightening to me.

At the west wing, got the cage key (inventory) and ceremony key (door unlocking). Not sure what the latter unlocks but we'll figure it out soon enough. Thinking of going for every ending once I'm done. Found out about the perfume through a Nitro Rad video on Ghost Head. Need to check each room thoroughly, but sometimes stuff still misses me!

D E A D E N D
-----------

Been playing Kingdom Hearts Final Mix out of just wanting some good ol' KH.

Made it to Wonder Land in Proud Mode, just got out of the tower battle. Gonna gain a few levels before Trickmaster, guy's always a hassle. Currently at Lv9.

❤️

-------(Continue)*-------
------(Load Game)------
Image Image