(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

Roy Angrym'n wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:
Roy Angrym'n wrote:Probably helps that [Frog's] got one of the coolest fatdanged themes ever.
There's no such thing as a character theme in Chrono Trigger that *isn't* awesome, though!
Well, I mean, yeah, but Frog's theme is the beeeest.
I kinda prefer Magus' theme to be honest.

Frog's is pretty great though.

Fun fact: The composer for Super Robot Wars K blatantly plagiarised Magus' theme as well as The Savior of Those on Earth from Lufia II and tried to pass them off as his original tracks. Japanese gamers were not fooled, and they were quick to call him out on it.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I was hanging out at a friend's house yesterday and tried that one crowd funded space game. Star Citizen I think was the name? The controls really need some work. Flying around feels really sloppy. It was fun though. Despite never even seeing more than screenshots before I was a better pilot than him right away.

My favorite instance was in the dog-fighting mode I was flying around and an enemy came out of nowhere and hit me at like warp ten destroying one of my wings and sending me careening into a space station that was nearby. The space station had these fins along it with just barely enough room for me to get between. Despite being completely out of control due to bouncing off my enemy I just barely managed to thread my way exactly between the fins barely missing smashing into the axle shape the fins are on. I then subsequently got bounced into the space station and died because I was very low on ammo, had no shields, and had five enemies on my ass. I tried to hide in an area of the space station with a fair amount of cover but apparently the AI decided to try and follow me and bumped me from behind right as I got into position.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

So I beat Eets Munchies. It's... all right. The only real toughies in the game were the mystery levels.

I have no idea what this next game I'm playing is about but I guess I'll find out. What the heck is tom clancy's ghost recon phantoms? OH BOY! A mulitplayer shooter! Pass.

So instead I'll be playing metal warriors for the snes. Appears to be a platforming shoot-em-up from the lone picture I saw.
Last edited by pholtos 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I cannot beat the Destroyer.

The Dark form just keeps mutilating me, I cannot beat it fast enough.
I'm gonna restart the game and try to plan out my party and attacks this time.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

At least SaGa games are pretty fun to replay!
Image Image
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Is playing metal warriors for SNES
Gets to the second mission
Dies
'_'

Whelp I might not play this one too long. It's dang hard.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

So, with Megaman X4's final boss giving me trouble, I decided I'd take a break from that game and give Rockman 4 Minus Infinity a try. Not much to say that I didn't already in the LP thread, though: it's an amazing game, and that it was a ROM hack rather than a standalone game makes it all the more impressive. It's basically an homage to virtually every classic series game. Loved it. The fact that the Recycle Inhaler and Rush Search are so broken makes the game a tad easy, but the bosses are so crazy, it kinda evens out.

Fun trick: In any stage that features Pipis (those irritating birds that drop eggs that hatch into a zillion little birds), wait for one to drop an egg, let it burst on the ground, then use the Recycle Inhaler to vacuum up all the baby birds. You get a *lot* of items that way, making it very easy to restore health, weapon energy, and stock up on extra lives and E-Tanks. This is the most helpful in that "Metroidvania" labyrinth stage, as there's a Pipi in a room very close to the portal hub area.
pholtos wrote:Is playing metal warriors for SNES
Gets to the second mission
Dies
'_'

Whelp I might not play this one too long. It's dang hard.
I played that one a long time ago, when I was super-active at SNESMusic.org, in order to rip SPCs from it. I beat it, but had to liberally abuse savestates. It's a fun game, but day-um is it hard.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

Ashan wrote:Are you kidding me? They FIXED the last bit of the game. In the original they had you waste time running back to Tingle 50 times and paying him a trillion rupees every time just to make the game seem longer. It shouldn't have been like that in the first place. What they did in WWHD was a fix, not "dumbed down to spoon feed people."
I was referring to the chested Triforce shards, I had no idea about Tingle's removal.
Again, I watched my NEIGHBOUR play it (while I was tutoring his son, teaching him art theory).

I'm too old for recent games. >.>
(On the subject of recent Zelda-- Is it true, that A Link Between Worlds had underwhelming dungeon design? I've been hearing, that's a thing.)
:catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2:
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Icelink256 wrote:I was referring to the chested Triforce shards, I had no idea about Tingle's removal.
Again, I watched my NEIGHBOUR play it (while I was tutoring his son, teaching him art theory).
They didn't remove Tingle. They just made it so instead of
-Get triforce chart
-Give to Tingle and have him "decipher" it for a trillion rupees
-Use chart to get triforce piece
They just put some of the triforce pieces where you would have originally found the chart. There were still like 3 or so that you had to get translated by Tingle, but having them all like that was just stupid before. It basically forced you to do several trips, cause even if you got all the charts for Tingle to decipher at once, he charged so much to do it that even the biggest wallet in the game couldn't hold the amount of rupees you had to pay him in the end, so it basically forced you to run around grinding rupees.

Also I just finished FFX. It was pretty fun.
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag
First name: beatboxingboo

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

Icelink256 wrote: (On the subject of recent Zelda-- Is it true, that A Link Between Worlds had underwhelming dungeon design? I've been hearing, that's a thing.)
nah they're pretty good
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Putting metal warriors forever away for being to dang hard I've moved on to the sims for gamecube.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

Ashan wrote: They didn't remove Tingle. They just made it so instead of
-Get triforce chart
-Give to Tingle and have him "decipher" it for a trillion rupees
-Use chart to get triforce piece
They just put some of the triforce pieces where you would have originally found the chart. There were still like 3 or so that you had to get translated by Tingle, but having them all like that was just stupid before. It basically forced you to do several trips, cause even if you got all the charts for Tingle to decipher at once, he charged so much to do it that even the biggest wallet in the game couldn't hold the amount of rupees you had to pay him in the end, so it basically forced you to run around grinding rupees.
Ah, thank you for the clarification!
Though, couldn't they have just given the player the deciphered charts in the chests, instead? It seems lazy, the way it was set up. >.>

Also, this happened, and I blame you! XD
:catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2:
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I just started FFX-2
Um... I really have no words to describe my confusion. I have no idea what's happening or who thought this was a good idea. I mean I probably shouldn't judge from the first 15 minutes I played before I turned off the game out of panic but this feels more like a FFX parody than a sequel.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Ashan wrote:I just started FFX-2
Um... I really have no words to describe my confusion. I have no idea what's happening or who thought this was a good idea. I mean I probably shouldn't judge from the first 15 minutes I played before I turned off the game out of panic but this feels more like a FFX parody than a sequel.
Yeah, FFX-2 is *very* different from FF10. It's lighthearted, goofy, fanservicey, and has kind of a lame overall plot (and some really corny events), and yeah, the intro is really bizarre and hectic. It's also quite non-linear and far less overall story-driven. The early-game antagonist is also amusing, for toeing the line between "complete loser" and "overtly sexy".

That said, if you can overcome the initial weirdness, it's actually a lot of fun. I was unsure about the game for a *long* time, only finally playing it for the first time last year. I was confused at first, but once I got into the game, I loved it. The battle system is very fast-paced; one of the better uses of the ATB system in the series, IMO, it has a fun, diverse, and surprisingly deep job system, and there's a *lot* of stuff to do.

I'll grant, it's not for everyone, but if you can see past the cheesiness of what comes across as "Final Fantasy 10 meets Charlie's Angels", there's actually a really good, solid game buried beneath it.

Oh, and unless you *really* hate being spoiled in any way, I'd recommend making good use of an FAQ. There's a lot of SaGa influence in the game, which means it's open-ended, vague about what you're supposed to *do* at times, and there's a *lot* of good items and such hidden in very non-intuitive ways.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

That's good to know.
Yeah, I had played through a decent chunk of FFXIII and the battle system was definitely reminiscent of this game. I find that a lot more stressful though, compared to the typical "choose attack whenever you're ready and then attack happens" battle system. Flying through menus on a timer is scary.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Each 3D Final Fantasy game seems to have something that you'd have to get passed to play the game. Like FFVII lego people and FFXII's fighting style (ugh).

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote:I just started FFX-2
The story is kinda awful. It's got the only ATB system I've liked in an rpg though.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

After realizing I was playing the sims again (it's the sims... there's only so much you can do.) I started up batman returns and... dang is it hard. I haven't played too many beat-em-ups beyond dfo so playing this I lost 6 lives in stage 1 on normal. (I should probably play on easy.)

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I'm near the end of Chrono Trigger now. Kind of went a little overboard on it during the weekend to get to that point. Square was such a good company in the 90s.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

I now have Dark Souls for the PS3 so I played a bit of that. I have no idea what I'm doing, so I just picked the Pyromancer class (or whatever they call the class with the pyromancy, I forget already) because pyromancy sounded fun. And despite nearly dying at the first boss twice (I somehow thought "run away from the big thing!" meant "kill the big thing with your broken sword!"), it has been. Probably helps that I've spent the past three years avoiding as much information about the game as possible so as not to spoil anything.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Pyromancer is actually arguably the best class to pick from the beginning since you get the pyro flame at the beginning of the game, and normally you can't get it until you're a ways in. And it makes Asylum Demon easier.

That said, just because you're a pyromancer, it doesn't mean you shouldn't get an awesome sword and good armor. A pyromancy only run is basically something you do when you get bored of the game and want a crazy challenge. Generally in Dark Souls you'll want to get good weapons no matter what class you are.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Ashan wrote:Pyromancer is actually arguably the best class to pick from the beginning since you get the pyro flame at the beginning of the game, and normally you can't get it until you're a ways in. And it makes Asylum Demon easier.
Well I guess I made a bit of a lucky pick, then. And yeah throwing fire at that thing's knees was the only reason I didn't get killed by it, I'm kinda really bad at the game still.
That said, just because you're a pyromancer, it doesn't mean you shouldn't get an awesome sword and good armor. A pyromancy only run is basically something you do when you get bored of the game and want a crazy challenge. Generally in Dark Souls you'll want to get good weapons no matter what class you are.
That pretty much goes without saying, though, doesn't it? I mean I can only throw fire at things 8 times before I run out of fire to throw at things, using that as my primary means of attacking would be pretty dumb when I have at least one sharp thing to hit things with instead.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Yeah, but just in case.
From the fact that you can choose "pyromancer" as a class at the beginning of the game, it seems like "yeah, you're gonna specialize in pyromancy for the whole game" but really your class means nothing in the long run. It's basically just your starting armor and stats that you're choosing. Once you get into the game you can literally make your character anything you want.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

So with my missing the psx/n64 era of gaming playing a game from that era blind typically makes me shake my head with how bad it looks.

Enter Ape Escape... a game with such terrible... what would you call it... word mouthing? I started busting out laughing out how tiny their mouths were and how badly it matched up with the voices. XD

I haven't actually done anything in the game yet... because my controller wasn't set up properly in the emulator so I couldn't actually move... but the game has piqued my curiosity a bit.
(My biggest challenge is to get by the blocky looks of characters of that era...)

Edit: OK! NOT PLAYING THIS! You know what's a bad idea? Having THE CAMERA CONTROLS AND MOVEMENT CONTROLS on the SAME STICK.
I might have mapped the controls wrong. One moment...

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

So, after a bit of reasonable time to think about it, I bought FTL from... Steam.

Only played one hour so far (because of my parents who love to go to sleep at exactly 12 am) and it's very hard, even on Easy mode. Just how I like it. Awesome.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Been playing Ninja Gaiden 1.

I made it to 5-3!!! Gonna continue tomorrow.

Surprisingly, I find the jetpack ninjas in stage 5 to be more annoying than the birds.
pholtos wrote:I haven't actually done anything in the game yet... because my controller wasn't set up properly in the emulator so I couldn't actually move... but the game has piqued my curiosity a bit.
(My biggest challenge is to get by the blocky looks of characters of that era...)

Edit: OK! NOT PLAYING THIS! You know what's a bad idea? Having THE CAMERA CONTROLS AND MOVEMENT CONTROLS on the SAME STICK.
I might have mapped the controls wrong. One moment...
Ape Escape uses both analog sticks
It was practically made to sell the Dualshock

I'm a 2000s kid and even I know this (then again i'm a huge video game nerd so blah)
Image Image