(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago Currently stuck on Outer Wilds. I've reached quite a few dead ends on my travels. Of note:

Any hints would be welcome, those who have played it.
So here's the main light spoiler: You are currently only missing
information, not equipment - you need to know how to engage with some of the obstacles you've discovered. You already have quantum knowledge, so you're good to engage with that field of interactions, but you need knowledge of how to deal with electricity, teleportation, and navigating ghost matter. You may have made some assumptions which aren't correct.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 3 years ago So here's the main light spoiler
So...I did not state what information I do know because it was late. I can say what I don't know is how to deal with

electricity

Teleportation and navigating ghost matter

I have some idea.
I'm going to assume I'm in the wrong spot with the Interloper (which opens up questions). You don't have to answer that. I do have a simple yes/no question though: Does the degree variation or facing at the center of a celestial body matter in teleportation between the Hourglass Twins?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 3 years ago So here's the main light spoiler
So...I did not state what information I do know because it was late. I can say what I don't know is how to deal with

electricity

Teleportation and navigating ghost matter

I have some idea.
I'm going to assume I'm in the wrong spot with the Interloper (which opens up questions). You don't have to answer that. I do have a simple yes/no question though: Does the degree variation or facing at the center of a celestial body matter in teleportation between the Hourglass Twins?

it does "matter", but to your benefit. The degree variance is basically an allowance meaning your timing/angle doesn't have to be 100% perfect.

Also I missed a type of information that's available, but also learnable the hard way:

how to cope with anglerfish

Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Finished Mega Man Zero 2.

Last level was pretty difficult. Never really got the hang of fighting the puma guy that's on the 2 trains. And also the phoenix boss, who I understood most of his moves but if he ever did the one where he splits into 4 I couldn't figure out how to tell which was the real one so it usually forced me to take a hit.

I didn't use any elves until the final boss where I blew through the 3 I had equipped without even really knowing what they did. One said he "helps in the fatal zone" or something and I didn't know what that meant so I just used it and hoped it was doing something useful. And also the last one said it was a subtank so I figured it would heal me but all it did was give me another empty subtank so that was a bit of a waste.
I was a little worried when I finally beat Elpizo after 2 or 3 game overs and he had a final form but it ended up being kind of easy? I just hit it with a few charged slashes and it barely attacked. Maybe I just got lucky.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Ashan wrote: 3 years agoOne said he "helps in the fatal zone" or something and I didn't know what that meant so I just used it and hoped it was doing something useful.
It turns instant kills from spikes and lava to damage (8 if I remember correctly). Still have to watch out for pits and getting crushed. The single most useful elf in the game if you're inexperienced. In theory it's possible to use just this elf and still get A ranks, so in one run I used this elf and tried out each level with savestates just to check out what each boss weapon does.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Oh well I guess I really was just carrying it around for nothing!

I pretty much only care about health elves so I can tank through boss fights cause I suck
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 3 years ago Also I missed a type of information that's available, but also learnable the hard way:

how to cope with anglerfish

I kind of found that out already through

Sunless City

in Ember Twin. Slow and steady wins that race. Think I have to curve my trajectory a little though to make sure I get what I want out of that. Probably won't pick the game up again until later this week, I got some stuff I have to do (finish cleaning kitchen, finish writing an essay, write a letter to my sister)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Right after finishing Zero 2 last night I hopped straight into Zero 3.
I did 2 stages yesterday and found them pretty difficult, but man as you go on the game just piles you with upgrades, some of which are kind of broken. By the end of the game I was using a satellite elf that doubled my health, and another that flies around and drops HP pretty frequently. And if that wasn't enough they give you a helmet that just heals you infinitely when you stand still so you can heal to max before a boss fight. So with all of that I was pretty much never dying, meaning the first couple stages were the most difficult part of the game and the end was kind of a cakewalk. I died once on the final boss because I wasn't really trying and figured I'd just tank through and use healing elves whenever I got low, but I ended up getting caught off guard and killed.

I managed to maintain a B rank through most of the game but dropped to a C with my sloppiness in the final stretch.

My final diagnosis was wounded edgeboy
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Poor Zero. Always the Wounded Edgeboy on these talkhaus playthroughs.

A bit more than halfway through Sackboy: A Big Adventure right now. Only came across one dud of a level in the first three worlds. Outside of that, yeah, this game's still good.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Played through 4 bosses in Zero 4 and things were going pretty okay. From what I can surmise, it seems like you get EX skills if you change the weather to be doing levels in their harder state cause I'm pretty sure the first 2 levels I did with weather to my advantage and got nothing, and then the next 2 I had it in its harder state and got EX skills.

But anyway then comes along the story segment where you save the human settlement and fight Craft and holy cow I think he killed me more than any other boss in the series so far. Things got a little easier once I put away the gun and just fought him with the Z saber, but I'd still have occasional attempts where I'd only get like 2 hits in and I'd already be dead. He's huge and there's no walls meaning he's hard to hop over, his attacks are super fast and require precise inputs to dodge, he deals a lot of damage, and to top it all off sometimes he'll just dodge roll to be inside of you so you take collision damage.

Then for some reason, out of nowhere this happened

https://twitter.com/Ashanmaril/status/1 ... 1440200704

Good thing I wasted 3 of my elf points on getting a giant health bar when I could have put them into the hack elf upgrades and gotten more damage output!

Even though I pulled that off I don't think I could replicate it. He tended to frequently put me in situations where I was crammed in between him and the edge of the screen and couldn't get enough room to jump over him. He just didn't seem to do it on that attempt
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Ashan wrote: 3 years ago Played through 4 bosses in Zero 4 and things were going pretty okay. From what I can surmise, it seems like you get EX skills if you change the weather to be doing levels in their harder state cause I'm pretty sure the first 2 levels I did with weather to my advantage and got nothing, and then the next 2 I had it in its harder state and got EX skills.
That is correct

At least you seem to make honest effort at avoiding Craft's attacks, unlike uh... someone else on this site that played the game
:demo:
:iris:
who just stood in front of him and repeatedly whacked him to cheese a really cool boss fight. That's valid strategy in a speedrun, but otherwise you get more value out of the game if you attempt to dodge boss attacks even if you don't always succeed, and try to figure out boss patterns, because then you know you're learning and improving.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Hah wow yeah I just went and found the atmm episode and I’ll be honest if I had a subtank I’d probably have abused it too. But alas I don’t so I was forced to git gud

Well I’m hoping I didn’t screw my run by locking myself out of a couple EX skills. Whatever, I’ll take my punishment for playing on easy mode a couple levels
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

Beat Age of Calamity. Awesome game. Probably looking to play Shiren the Wanderer next, since that just released on Steam and I'm craving some Mystery Dungeon action.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

oh i forgot to post here.

i beat final fight
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

WOO, Mega Man Zero series officially complete!

Zero 4 was a pretty tough one. I almost beat the final boss on my last life the first time I got to him, but unfortunately I wasn't paying attention to the clock and ran out of time when he had like 1/3 of his health bar left. And I found getting back to him a bit of a pain because boss fights seemed longer for me in this game? Though that would be due in part to the fact that I never figured out like half the bosses' weaknesses. I'm sure sometimes it was cause I didn't try one of the abilities that's an awkward Z-saber move, in most cases I'd just try the 3 elemental shots I had and if it didn't work just fight them normally. It's trickier than the other games where you only like 3 elemental chips to try

I only ended up finding one sub tank in the end (and I did spend a bit of time looking for others) and still don't know what 2 boss abilities are because I didn't understand the weather system at first!

Final diagnosis:
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Okay, popped into Outer Wilds after several days off to address pressing issues in aforementioned post. Got another hint from a friend about time that helped me

reach Sun Station

. So the remaining Hourglass Twins mystery and the Interloper are both resolved, both on short notice. All that's left in terms of leads is Dark Bramble, namely

locating the Vessel and Feldspar

. I think I know where these two are. My suspicion is that these leads will help me resolve the last mystery, which is

how to pierce the electric barrier and get to the Probe Tracking Module at the core of Giant's Deep

In addition:
I landed on the Quantum Moon for the first time, but was too late in the cycle to reach the sixth location. That said, once I realized the sixth location is most likely

the Eye of the Universe

, I stopped. I feel like that's endgame if I go there, since the speedruns (which I haven't watched at all) give me the impression that, ala the Myst series, the final puzzle is always available from the start of the game, and Quantum Moon/

Eye

is probably the only thing that could fit that bill.
Update 1:
My suspicion on Dark Bramble was correct, Feldspar was the key for Giant's Deep. The Vessel is still unfound, but now that I figured out the principle of Dark Bramble

(i.e. not every signal leads to the same place)

, that'll be next and should be relatively easy to find. After that, I'll go to the PTM. Then, probably tomorrow, I will like finish the game? Unless there's a huge bit that follows finishing Quantum Moon, though I doubt it.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago Okay, popped into Outer Wilds...
Do keep us updated, I'm very much enjoying your thought processes and progress. You're making good headway!
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 3 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago Okay, popped into Outer Wilds...
Do keep us updated, I'm very much enjoying your thought processes and progress. You're making good headway!
Thank you :catplanet:

That said, I think I've hit the final puzzle, and I'm stuck. Thoughts:
I got to everything last night: Probe Tracking Module, Vessel, Quantum Moon. All of these provided final the last pieces of the puzzle it seems:

The coordinates to the Eye, the device to input those coordinates, the nature of the Eye being a quantum object.

. It also seems to indicate that where all this comes into play is Ash Twin

Project

. Problem is I don't entirely know how to get there.

My suspicion is that teleportation from Ember Twin is required. But I'm not sure about the exact specifics there. There are there two things that stood out to me:
  1. There are two warp points on Ash Twin to Ember Twin. One, sufficiently covered from the sandflows, allows warp to Ember Twin, but the other lacks coverage from the sand flows.
  2. There is a mention at one point that the sand flows can reverse, though how this works I do not know.
Which leads me to two conclusions:
  1. The warp I need is a double warp, from Ash to Ember and back, using the uncovered warp on Ash.
  2. The warp I need is in the core of Ember Twin, and I need to figure out a way to reverse the sand flows so I can get in there.
My suspicion is the latter. But I haven't seen anything that sticks out that could point to sand flow reversal.
Am I on the right track?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

You're unbelievably close, but also overthinking the process. I unfortunately don't know how to convey the right answer without simply spelling it out, but you're very much in the right vicinity - Ash Twin is where your progress is.
Wish I could help you more, but you're right on the cusp.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Put a couple hours into Mega Man ZX. I've never actually played the ZX series myself because I never owned them, so this is all new to me (ignoring that I watched playthroughs in ATMM but I don't really remember anything other than you turn into a human to crouch)

Pretty fun so far! It's interesting to have something of an open world 2D Mega Man, although the map is absolute nonsense and I don't understand how to read it. I've gotten 2 additional forms so far (H and F) and found one subtank that's been pretty helpful cause there's some weird quirks with the controls I still haven't gotten used to. Like when you start the game off in X form you get a charge that eventually becomes a shot on release and then another shot when you press the button again, similar to the charge shot punch from X3. But then once you get ZX form that stops working, and instead when you press the sub-weapon button it'll do a charge release on the other weapon. I play with control style C so I'm not sure if this is slightly different on the other ones, but I find it a bit annoying when I just want to switch weapons and I shoot a charge shot or slam my sword down.

Then even weirder is in H form where you can do a charge to release the lightning ball thing, but also sometimes just from attacking or switching between slash types you automatically build and release charge shots for some reason? Which is annoying cause then I'm constantly going through my finite weapon energy even though I don't want to? I never really figured out how that works but I was finding it a little frustrating.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Copy-pasting from ATMM
Type A: Each weapon has a separate button. Straightforward.

Hold weapon button 1/2 to charge the respective weapon, release that button to use that weapon charge.

Type B: Select the weapon you're using by holding/releasing button 2, fire with button 1. Metroid style.

Holding button 1 actually charges both weapons simultaneously. When you release button 1, you release only the charge of the selected weapon. When you change your selection by pressing/releasing button 2, you release the other charge.

Type C: Button 1 uses the currently selected weapon. Pressing button 2 switches between your main and sub weapons. (Technicality, but to actually change which weapon is "main", do that in the pause menu.)

Like with Type B, holding button 1 charges both. When you release, you use charge for whichever weapon you selected, and switching weapons uses the other charge.
Basically, in Zero games the choice of control types was poorly implemented. Arguably the most intuitive type, "button 1 for weapon 1 and button 2 for weapon 2", was in type B. (Type C was "press 1 to use current weapon and press 2 to switch weapons", whereas type A, although confusing at first, boils down to "press 1 to use current weapon, holding/releasing 2 changes weapons".) And type B was objectively the best type; because they use separate buttons, they can be charged independently, whereas with the other types you only have one charge.

In ZX games, this straightforward option is now the default (type A). The other two types are now on par with it because holding the "use current weapon" button charges both weapons instead of only one. You use the charge for the current weapon by releasing the weapon button, and the other charge by switching. It's quirky but it solves the problem arising out of only having one weapon button at a time.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i started playing lunar the silver star yesterday and im at reza

and i continued dragon slayer legend of heroes today and im at baznune (jp name, i dont want to look up the english tgcd name rn)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

It is done. Outer Wilds is complete.

On the final hurdle I was having trouble with and its solution:
That was so dumb :gravytea:
I really enjoyed the game

otherwise

. Definitely an unexpected Myst-style game with a lot more heart and depth to it. Playing up the story of the Nomai was interesting, especially from all angles. It was fun to play this most of the time. Very sad at times too, especially when you realize

you're not getting out of this one alive...nor anyone else

. But it was still a great game, all things considered. Might muck around with the silly cheevos and may try to complete a single loop of this game, but it's done for the most part.

So I found out Four Job Fiesta is doing a Fall Fiesta with the original Final Fantasy. I've never really played FF in any capacity outside of 15 minutes of the NES version (which is a shitty version, really), so I thought it would be good to play this game. Won't play it blind since the Fiesta ends January 1, and will try to get this done as fast as I can. Playing the PSP version, my Fiesta team is a Thief/Ninja, a White Mage/Wizard, and two Red Mages/Wizards.

I got a free 3 months on Game Pass, I'll use it now-ish. First game I want to try is Call of the Sea, which comes out Tuesday. Plays to my wagon of examining Lovecraft through a non-horror lens. Should be interesting.

Finally, my physical copy of Panzer Dragoon Remake for Switch is shipping soonish (Limited Run has it as "On Deck"). With this in mind, I'm probably going to spend a few days next week trying to go through Starlink. I've been hesitant to return to that game, since I didn't really enjoy it. But I feel like I should just get it over with.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago It is done. Outer Wilds is complete.
Congratulations! Glad you enjoyed it, trouble with

getting into ATP

excepted. I think Outer Wilds dovetails the story and puzzles together remarkably well. What'd you think of the finale?
thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago may try to complete a single loop of this game, but it's done for the most part.
Ah, an easy hint for this one that makes this pretty trivial:

the coordinates are the same every single playthrough

Ashan

Post by Ashan »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago charging stuff
I think I knew most of this but that still doesn't answer how my H form was getting random charges without my doing anything!
I used type C through the whole Zero series and I'm continuing to use it through this cause it seemed to most intuitive. I never really found it holding me back before but there's maybe some high level tech I was missing out on being able to use.