(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Bwarch »

Horikawa Otane wrote:I just beat the first stage of Shovel Knight and it was AMAZING
How did you play it? It's not out yet. A demo? Early backer access?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Dolphin Shoals does not want me to get three stars in the 150cc or Mirror Star Cup. Yeesh! That said, I beat all of the cups in the game. Just need to work on getting 100% in it now!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

YelseyKing wrote:That is indeed true, and likewise the Rare Ring has more of an effect on getting dropped items. That said, Luck does play a part, so while, yeah, it's not the end-all-be-all thing, it's not like it should be ignored, either.
Nah, it shouldn't be ignored. I just think that using something like the gremlin soul (which should be the +8 luck one if I'm recalling it correctly) is kinda wasteful when there's so many far more useful souls. (Ie: Headhunter with a high number of total souls.) +8 luck I don't believe would increase any drop rate by more than about 1% or so. Something like Death's Cloak however (+40 or +44 luck I believe it was) isn't a bad choice, especially since it has high stats elsewhere. Though that is a hard mode exclusive item.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

Every percent is useful for farming. Let's say, the soul has 1% "dropchance". The odds are 1/100 per enemy killed. Then we have a 1% higher dropchance because of the luck bonus, results in 2%. Means the odds are 2/100, or better said, 1/50, effectively reducing our farming time for a half. That means, with an average farming time of 20 minutes per soul, this reduces to 10 minutes.

And 1% is still a good dropchance.

If I recall correctly, there was a quest in Order of Ecclesia which required an item from a certain enemy who only appears in 1 section of one certain area, and that item has a dropchance of 0,5 percent. I farmed for 2 hours, without a trace of the item.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Alice

Post by Alice »

I've used cheats in both Order of Ecclesia and Aria of Sorrow to start with max luck. The difference really wasn't that noticeable compared to something like the soul eater ring. I read something awhile back on the luck mechanics in either Order of Ecclesia or Aria of Sorrow. I was going to link it but I don't seem to be able to find it now. Could've sworn it was TASVideos' resources.
skyluigi2

Post by skyluigi2 »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Bwarch wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:I just beat the first stage of Shovel Knight and it was AMAZING
How did you play it? It's not out yet. A demo? Early backer access?
They sent the keys out early. It's freaking amazing.
Argh, I want to play Shovel Knight so bad! I'm tempted to get it on Steam... but I wanted to play the 3DS version first. If they don't announce a 3DS release date for Europe soon, I might have to jump into the Steam one. It seriously looks amazing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I'll be getting Shovel Knight eventually myself. Between games like that and upcoming stuff like Gunman Clive 2, Azure Striker Gunvolt, that one Shantae game, Mighty No. 9, and probably others I'm forgetting, Nintendo systems are loaded with content right now.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Just had my first death in Aria of Sorrow to our good friend the

manticore.

Oh man.

Edit:

I then refought him and hand grenaded his face.

Edit2: Whip Sword... Image

Meanwhile I am making steady progress towards ape escape 100%. I do like a stage a day.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Play through Ninja Warriors in the morning. What an amazing brawler. Robot. Ninja's. The perfect game.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Played a bit of Mercenary Kings the other day since my bro had it on the PS4 and it didn't appear to be locked to his profile. Got to the second rank, awesomeness of Paul Robertson reaffirmed.

I also got caught up in this thing for Operation Supply Drop at my community college, only intended to lend them some stuff and show up for a bit but somehow I ended up signing up for a live Halo 4 tournament later today(/tomorrow?) I'm not completely new to console FPS gaming and I did some Halo 2 multiplayer with a friend a long time ago, but this is my first time with H4 so if nothing else I'm sure this'll be an interesting experience. If anyone's interested and not watching SGDQ I'll make a quick thread for it once the streaming details are worked out.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

I got inspired by pholtos to play Aria of Sorrow again, currently at the
arena
those
Nitesco/Beam Skeletons
are still a pain in the butt
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I finally took down the last race in Road Rash. The pretty much non-ending I received for doing that was not worth the hassle!
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

I finished disc 1 of Lost Odyssey earlier today... shortest disc 1 ever. i did clock ~16 hours, but there were only like three dungeons of any significant size during that time. A large chunk of that 16 hours was spent on cutscenes, exploring two gigantic cities, and grinding skillzzzz. They must've used 90% of the available disc space on the lavish intro and some other major cutscenes.

Overall, fun game, interesting mechanics, and a fairly straightforward, but nevertheless enjoyable, plot. There's a fairly intricate element/attribute system in place, where certain attacks are supposedly more effective against certain enemy types... but honestly, I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference. Battles can take a while as a result, especially since better weapons and higher levels don't seem to amount to much more damage, either. Despite that, battles don't, at least to me, feel like a chore at this point. I suspect I'll get much stronger abilities and such later, though. It's still pretty early.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

those guys wrote:stuff about playing Aria of Sorrow
You're making me want to play this now

But my emulator suffers from horrendous lag

You bastards
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

So I just
finished Aria of Sorrow with Soma, but there is still a lot of Stuff to do (Julius mode, hard mode, collecting every soul)
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

Fluffi-dono wrote:So I just
finished Aria of Sorrow with Soma, but there is still a lot of Stuff to do (Julius mode, hard mode, collecting every soul)
HNNNNGGIFIBSFIBFVNZSLNALOHFDBNOSHGSDKNHBOOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHH

On a side note, should I play New Super Marisa Land or Embodiment of Scarlet Devil?
I can't trust myself with this one, I'm too biased towards platformers.

Edit: Nevermind, I found a solution.
Last edited by metasomnia? 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Darkstalkers 3 is a very good game

However, I am very bad at fighting games ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(played it on MAME, tried out Jon and Lilith)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

waaa koba you played vsav without me T_T (we could play on ggpo u know!)

btw bulleta is the best
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Rénà wrote:waaa koba you played vsav without me T_T (we could play on ggpo u know!)

btw bulleta is the best
I know about ggpo

You'd prob. beat me tho ;w;
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Alice

Post by Alice »

Fluffi-dono wrote:So I just
Which ending did you get though?
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Sturg wrote: Also the Lego games are pretty relaxing to go through.
I take back this and now say that they're the most annoying to go through, mostly for technical issues.

Specifically the 2nd Harry Potter one. I have no idea why I wanted to play it, but man at first it seemed fine and pretty laid back. It's when I beat story mode the game just started breaking. Like, it feels like it'll just crash through the slightest error that happens. Whether it be an error screen or just the audio and game freezing up. And having to lose save data every time it crashes just made it a true pain to go through.

also 100% is completely not worth it, seriously took nearly a month to beat with all the crap I had to deal with

and all you get is a pretty lame diorama

I'm also playing MK8 to get the golden glider to say I '100%' that game.

I think next I'll either play Spyro 2 to finish off the trilogy, or play Pikmin 3.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Play Pikmin 3 you fat nasty trash. :P

To 100% a game is to do that which the only reward is often just the satisfaction of doing it.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

The satisfaction kinda died after over-hyping the reward at the ending of the game so yeah haha
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

I realize this is quite old;
Ashan wrote:At some point in the development of FFX they decided that bosses would just stop paying attention to when they actually get turns.

I'll use haste on my entire party, and according to the turn counter on the side the boss won't have a turn for like, 5 turns, so I'll be dealing damage and suddenly he just gets a random turn in the middle of my turns and either heals himself for 9999 health (literally 9999) or does some dumb attack that confuses and curses my whole team so he can undo all the progress I've made in a battle within like 3 turns.

And using Aeons is pretty useless cause when you do an overdrive, all of your Aeons cap out damage at 9999 except for Bahamut and then the boss gets like 3 turns after you do it so chances are, the boss will just heal, undoing any damage you did with the overdrive, and he might health twice, meaning summoning the aeon was good for nothing other than giving him enough turns to heal himself up to more HP he had before you summoned.
What boss is this referring to? I don't recall any boss doing that aside from the FINAL-final boss (that counters any and all damage by healing for 9999), or perhaps an optional boss I never fought. Or given the point in the game I think you were probably at at the time, the (Black Flans? Dark Flans?) in the mountain caves that can use White Wind, but they're not a boss...
But you found the solution was Reflect anyway, so yeah.
I would've also said at the time that "bosses would just stop paying attention to when they actually get turns" would actually be them responding with counters and stuff.

...uh anyway

Finished the entirety of Mario 3D World. Champion's Road was definitely up there with The Perfect Run (Mario Galaxy 2) and Golden Temple (DK Country Returns) with "super-ultra final levels that cause more than 50 deaths (easily more than that, probably) and are extremely un-fun as a result". I eventually got sick of it and cheesed it with double-Raccoon suits because honestly. Dear Nintendo: Please stop making these levels, okay?

Also I didn't bother to go and complete every single level with every character to get the final stamps. Doing Champion's Road once was enough, doing it four more times ain't happening, yo.

Meanwhile in Order Of Ecclesia: Level 1 Edition, I've reached up to Eligor. I didn't care to deal with Death (his scythes are too unpredictable and even Rapidus Fio/Fidelus Medusa don't provide reliable protection), so I cheesed him with Dominus Agony/Death Ring/Shining Laser Sword. Skill!!

So far I've gotten boss medals for every boss except Man Eater (tentacles' behavior being too unpredictable to reliably deal with, + low on hearts after scraping through Skeleton Cave), Albus (hard to react to), and Barlowe (every once in a while his lightning attack can't be evaded the same way it usually can and I got sick of retrying). Almost done though!
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

swirlybomb wrote:I realize this is quite old;
Ashan wrote:At some point in the development of FFX they decided that bosses would just stop paying attention to when they actually get turns.

I'll use haste on my entire party, and according to the turn counter on the side the boss won't have a turn for like, 5 turns, so I'll be dealing damage and suddenly he just gets a random turn in the middle of my turns and either heals himself for 9999 health (literally 9999) or does some dumb attack that confuses and curses my whole team so he can undo all the progress I've made in a battle within like 3 turns.

And using Aeons is pretty useless cause when you do an overdrive, all of your Aeons cap out damage at 9999 except for Bahamut and then the boss gets like 3 turns after you do it so chances are, the boss will just heal, undoing any damage you did with the overdrive, and he might health twice, meaning summoning the aeon was good for nothing other than giving him enough turns to heal himself up to more HP he had before you summoned.
What boss is this referring to? I don't recall any boss doing that aside from the FINAL-final boss (that counters any and all damage by healing for 9999), or perhaps an optional boss I never fought. Or given the point in the game I think you were probably at at the time, the (Black Flans? Dark Flans?) in the mountain caves that can use White Wind, but they're not a boss...
But you found the solution was Reflect anyway, so yeah.
I would've also said at the time that "bosses would just stop paying attention to when they actually get turns" would actually be them responding with counters and stuff.
It was sanctuary keeper. I didn't realize you could cast reflect so he couldn't heal himself. Once I figured that out he was really easy.
As for the turn thing, I'm pretty sure all of that was just counterattacks which I didn't know were a thing.