(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bean
Yep.

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Bean »

I finally played Contra 4, and as expected, I was terrible at it. I could only make it to Stage 4 on the easiest setting before losing all of my continues. Whoops.

And I managed to also get to play some co-op in Kirby's Epic Yarn. This game is satisfyingly peaceful. I'm loving not having to do any ridiculous challenges for once.
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

I didn't remember that the end of Metroid Primer 2 was so disappointing... The key hunt is fine, well rather it would be fine if the Light Suit and Annihilator Beam weren't so overpowered... the dark world isn't even scary anymore. And the final bosses are just too SIMPLE. Meta Ridley and Metroid Prime are a good deal more interesting to fight.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

So you mean the game is a bit disappointing near the end? Eh, I thought it was okay, but I didn't think the final bosses were all that easy.

Up to the snow world in Kirby's Epic Yarn. I love this game for not being all that challenging, although there have been some moments where I ruin a gold medal run because I get hit at the most ridiculous point in a level.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Bean wrote:So you mean the game is a bit disappointing near the end? Eh, I thought it was okay, but I didn't think the final bosses were all that easy.
Ditto. I really liked their level of challenge, gave me a hard time the first attempts without getting on my nerves (Prime's second form did that, FUCK Fission Metroids!).

Also, how in blazes do you think the Anni Beam is overpowered? THAT thing, to me, was the greatest disappointment in the whole game. In Prime 1, you get the Plasma Beam after a long stretch of Ice, it looks cool, it burns shit and sends every enemy that ever annoyed you straight into hell. It's my most yearned-for upgrade in the game.
In Prime 2, I got Anni after an even longer stretch of only Light + Dark, it looked like the Plasma Beam, the shots were cool, they homed and then I realized that they didn't deal any damage and ate ammo like I breath air molecules. What a bummer.

Regarding my own playing...I'm still sitting over the Zero Collection. Haven't played anything but that one, with a few interspersions, since I got it. Goddamn it do I love those games. Currently trying (simultaneously) to beat Zero 2 in hard mode (gaaah Fefnir Tank two-hit kill), Zero 3 with 100% Database, Zero 3 with an average of 100 points (I got the intro mission!!!111!!11111231), Zero 4 on S-rank (FAR simpler), Zero 4 with only the sword and Zero 4 on hard mode.

...yeah I'm crazy but it's so goddamned FUN.

Simon
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

Anni Beam is overpowered because a single shot at a light crystal/beacon makes all the Ing in the room suicide. Also, its homing effects make it the best way to damage Emperor Ing's last form.
Now that I think about it, I should consider trying it against the first form's tentacles... though charged light shots also work fine.

Basically it works amazingly well against most of the stuff you have to fight by the end of the game. The main exception would be Dark Pirate Commandos, but a few charged light shots still destroy those.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Yeah, I know about the beacon thing. Problem is, that has nothing to do with the beam being, well, a beam. I don't want an instakill for a room of Ing, I want to shoot them in the face until they go pop, and faster and better than before.
And yeah, that it couldn't effectively kill the Dark Pirate Commandos (DPCs) was a huuuge downer for me. When I got Plasma Beam in Prime 1, almost the first enemies I fought afterwards were Flying Pirates. Those are kinda easy with the Ice Beam, but sooo annoying to hit, and before the Ice Beam, they're a giant pain.
Then I shot Plasma in their face and watched them burn, it was the best thing ever. Every enemy I had hated before (also the Sheegoth Mamas) crumbled before its awesome might.

...Anni can't kill DPCs, and it's as useless against Grenchlers. I was SO disappointed when those DPC fuckers just wouldn't die.

Simon
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag
First name: beatboxingboo

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

Since we're talking beams, is anyone else annoyed that the Light Beam is just a Plasma Beam reskin, and the Dark Beam an Ice Beam reskin? I mean, yes, they have their own unique qualities, but they only have those to make them fit the game better. Also the Sunburst = HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT. Especially compared to the Darkburst.
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Falky »

Prime 1 had better beam combos. Wavebuster FTW. The Flamethrower was pretty useless though.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

Yeah, MP1's beam combos were a bit better... not by that much though, the only one I would use with any kind of regularity in both games is the Super Missile.

Simon, I accept your comment about DPCs. As for Grenchlers, I don't really care, I killed about 2 in the whole game and skipped the rest.

Anni isn't really "strong", it's just that, by the end of the game, it trivialises most of the fights which you have to do (ie a few Ing and Emperor Ing)
Falky

Post by Falky »

True. I only used the Wavebuster and Ice Spreader against Prime.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

BeatBoxingBoo wrote:Since we're talking beams, is anyone else annoyed that the Light Beam is just a Plasma Beam reskin, and the Dark Beam an Ice Beam reskin? I mean, yes, they have their own unique qualities, but they only have those to make them fit the game better. Also the Sunburst = HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT. Especially compared to the Darkburst.
Agree, except the Light Beam is a Wave Beam reskin, the beam it fires is a Plasma Beam shot in white. I was mostly annoyed that Plasma-lookalike Anni was so comparatively worse, as said.
Simon, I accept your comment about DPCs. As for Grenchlers, I don't really care, I killed about 2 in the whole game and skipped the rest.
They're not that great of a hassle once you're at the point where you get Anni, but you'd still run into them while item collecting. While you CAN ignore them also at that point, it would have been SO satisfying to fry them...but Anni can't even find their fucked up hitbox properly.
Anni isn't really "strong", it's just that, by the end of the game, it trivialises most of the fights which you have to do (ie a few Ing and Emperor Ing)
Hm, I didn't really try it against EI. Was too convinced by its uselessness ^^.

Regarding beam combos...Flamethrower indeed sucks, but I never used Wavebuster either. It ate too many missiles for my taste when the homing normal shot also always hit even though MP is kinda...jiggly, and it did decent damage still. Ice Spreader is only useful against him, too, which is a damn shame.

No love for Anni Beam combo, eh ^^?

Simon
BeatBoxingBoo
Charlesbag
First name: beatboxingboo

Post by BeatBoxingBoo »

The only times I used the Wavebuster were on the security drone boss, and wave troopers.
Falky

Post by Falky »

Paragraph wrote:No love for Anni Beam combo, eh ^^?
I thought it was pretty useful against the Emperor, but it was difficult to hit with the shielding on the first form and the fucked up hitbox on the final form.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

Falky wrote:
Paragraph wrote:No love for Anni Beam combo, eh ^^?
I thought it was pretty useful against the Emperor, but it was difficult to hit with the shielding on the first form and the fucked up hitbox on the final form.
Yeah I use it on the first form's eye. Works pretty well.
GanonTEK
Evil King
Location: Ireland. The Emerald Isle. (We got no emeralds though)

Post by GanonTEK »

I played Multitask yesterday.
The days before I played the single player of Counter Strike Condition Zero
[not the Deleted Scenes game the one that is basically normal counter strike but you have
objectives like 'kill two enemies with a smg' or 'rescue 2 hostages']

edit: and a little transformice
virus513

Post by virus513 »

I've been trying to get into Demon Souls but just can't.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I finished up Kirby's Epic Yarn and am slowly trying to get through Sonic Advance 2. Go figure.
Flanky

Post by Flanky »

Just started up the ALttP hack "Parallel Worlds" today on a whim. I heard it was pretty hard, and I have very little Zelda experience compared with a lot of people. I had a difficult time imagining how someone could make a Zelda game technically demanding, though, so I gave it a go for curiosity's sake if nothing else. So far I'm finding it super fun. It did took me a solid 2 hours or so to actually get the sword and shield so I could save though. :P
Dollop of Mayo

Post by Dollop of Mayo »

World of Warcraft, and Space Funeral. Space Funeral is a really old RPG2k3 game that I'd never heard of... it's dark, cynical, and surreal, which is basically everything I want in a game.
The nature of the signature is significant and natural.
http://dollopofmayo.tumblr.com/ - I put comics here because they demand it.
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

So, time for my weekly Metroid Prime 2 comment... oh wait, I've finished the game now! Well damn.

I'll just mention Starcraft 2 then. I'm still far from good enough at this game. Need some more practise!

And Flanky, good luck on Parallel Worlds... I have tough memories of that game. (used and abused savestates all the way to New Jersey)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That Sky Canyon boss was annoying as ever for me in Sonic Advance 2. Yep.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I'm currently trying out MMX6 on Xtreme.

Results aren't pretty.

Suits me right for refusing to use the Falcon Armor though, but seriously fuck that thing, I want to have a giant fuck-off buster, not the piddly little watergun.

Simon
QuantumBoo

Post by QuantumBoo »

Right now I'm playing the Metroid Prime games, and I'm going to buy the new GoldenEye ASAP. I also really want Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Mario Galaxy 2...so many games, so little money =( Oh well, Christmas is coming up soon, so hopefully I can get a game or two out of family members, haha
kilon

Post by kilon »

Now that I got my new pc I can finally play whatever I want again.
So:
-Football Manager 2011
-Call of Duty: Black Ops
-... whatever

any suggestions?