(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by BurntTenda »

I beat my first playthrough of Three Houses, and have done a little bit of Golden Deer.

I also picked up Control. It's a pretty neat game so far. I definitely did not expect the combat to feel as good as it does.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Nast

Post by Nast »

Still not done with Hitman... it's not a particularly huge game but I can't stomach more than one mission per day. Also my dumb depressed butt has a vendetta against games and refuses to play them more often

It's a great game though. I guess the later missions aren't leaving a super strong impression but they're cool. My favorite so far has to be the 5th, Murder of Crows. Your targets are three assassins and you have to find and kill them before they snipe this politician. All of it happens in a hugely crowded street in the middle of a party, so it's simultaneously an intimidating and lively vibe. There's lots of cool places to explore and you're rewarded with useful tools for being curious. Plus the enemies' behaviour is elaborate and randomized. All in all it leaves a great impression.

I hear that some people don't like this installment cause it's super easy? I can kinda see that but it doesn't ruin it for me so eh
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

NastCF wrote: 4 years ago Also my dumb depressed butt has a vendetta against games and refuses to play them more often
sends liom hugs to appease the depressed butt
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Nast

Post by Nast »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago sends liom hugs to appease the depressed butt
Thank <3 I'm not a real liom unfortunately but have some regular hugs too
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Honk
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Been playing the Link's Awakening remake. Having a lot of fun; it's nice to have a more compact Zelda to play after Breath of the Wild. A few technical issues here and there, mostly having to do with the framerate, but it's not so bad. I love the look and feel of the game, though I wish Link could move in more than eight directions like in A Link Between Worlds.
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Finished Link's Awakening with 100%! A really good remake, to be honest. Everything was very faithful to the original while enhancing the atmosphere and presentation. You could tell that Grezzo had a lot of respect for the original game. Really enjoyed the music, enhanced item management and other conveniences, the added challenge on some fights, and the general vibe of the game. The only downsides in my view are the framerate drops (it's honestly not bad in most areas, but it's very noticeable in a select few places) and Dampé's dungeon maker. So much wasted potential on that; I pretty much just made the required amount of dungeons for the rewards for 100% and didn't touch it after. Really fun to experience this game overall though, as I've only watched an LP of the original. Surprised with how much I remembered from it. Now I want to see the Oracle games remastered in this style, maybe Minish Cap as well!

I've also been playing Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight, since my copy from Limited Run Games arrived. It's super fun so far; reminds me of Rabi-Ribi a bit, actually. Seems to be on the shorter side but MAN is it fun to play. I'd actually like to see raocow LP it. It would be right up his alley. It's the fourth in the series but it's a prequel in the storyline apparently, so it seems to be a good place to jump in.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Started Untitled Goose Game last night after finishing Spyro Reignited.

Honk.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Finished Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight! Really fun game; I LOVE the somber atmosphere, characters and their designs, and the world. Almost have 100% on it; just a few loose ends to tie up. A short game, but it makes an impression and has a lot of (dark) personality. The music and spritework are also incredible. Only positive things to say! I just wish it was longer!

Probably gonna start up Touhou 14 and Daemon X Machina pretty soon. I also have Untitled Goose Game to go through. So many games!!
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Nearing the end in Super Robot Wars OG1. I had a lot of fun with this game! The story is interesting and the music is fabulous. There is a lot of text though and if I were playing this on my GBA I imagine I would have some kind of eye strain from trying to see the dang screen.

Started up another playthrough of Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War. I am planning to do some not so good pairings so it'll be an adventure and a half. I just cannot get enough of Jugdral.
I haven't really been playing anything else because of college.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Finished Hitman a few days ago and started Super Mario 3D World. Just cleared World 1.

Lots of words:
I'm getting a great vibe from this game so far. It's not a fully unique experience like Odyssey (I think, haven't played it), but unlike other Mario games released during this time it clearly has tons of fun new ideas. So far every level has introduced something new, even if small. Also Mario, regular or cat-suited, is a joy to control and the presentation is delightful, if a bit generic so far.

I don't know how smart it is to introduce the cat suit right off the bat in the first level. It's something they did in New Mario U too and it works to establish an identity for the game right away, but to new players wouldn't it make more sense to gradually introduce the concept of power-ups, building up to the coolest one? In SMW you only get the cape at the start of world 2, which is cool cause it gives you time to appreciate the more basic power-ups before impressing you with a cool one, and the first level still establishes a unique identity through interesting landscapes and unique new enemies like the Rex's and Banzai Bills, while 3DW has just Goombas. Though on another hand they do introduce Yoshi in level 1-2 of SMW, who is arguably the more important new power-up in that game, so I dunno.

The levels so far don't feel super focused, in the sense that they don't concentrate and iterate on a single gimmick, rather they introduce 2 or 3 new elements or ideas per level with minor iterations. I'm a bit worried that the levels are being too short or too simple. While they're fun, I end each level not fully satisfied. I think they should go the DKC route and explore every new mechanic to its fullest in a given stage, at least if they don't intend to reuse them later. I also feel like they could be combining gimmicks better within the levels. Maybe this won't be a problem in later worlds, this is still world 1 after all so it's deliberately very simple and easy. So far though it does make the game feel a tiny bit shallow, despite the neat ideas on display and generally being very fun to play.

I love how many cool little secrets there are to find by exploring and interacting with the environment. You can interact with lots of things like plants and trees, making the worlds feel alive. There's secret coins, power ups and blocks everywhere, it feels like almost no space in the level is wasted, so it really encourages your curiosity. And if that's not enough, the green stars are a great way to get you excited about exploring too, as you get them as rewards for all sorts of interesting activities, including lots of different bonus rooms like starman runs, timed coin collection, timed kill rooms, etc.

The cat suit is kind of awkward in its presentation, but it's very fun to use. It's pretty versatile both in combat and movement. Your moves flow well into each other, like how the air dive can be used to attack and also connects nicely into a wall climb. The climbing in general gives you a lot more freedom on how you traverse the level, especially on vertical stages.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

I 100% Yoshi's Island, and man, this game is sooooo good. Even if some of the levels kinda drop in world 6 (Mainly the giiiiant autoscroll), it was still amazing. And those bonus levels were great, even though they were difficult as heck. Love this game man
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Played through Arc the Lad 1 again (Arc solo run) last dawn to spend the time.
5:40 in game (liberal use of fastforwarding otherwise). Still not a very good time wrt speedrun tho. See here.

Also been playing Shining Force this morning, went from the end of Chapter III: Secret Weapon of Runefaust and just made it to Chapter VI: Descendant of the Sacred Dragon. Gonna try to maybe finish the game today? Tomorrow? I don't know.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Got twenty hours out of Super Kirby Clash and only dropped 49 gold points ($0.49) on this free to play game overall. Yeah, I'd say I got my money's worth out of it. Started up the Link's Awakening remake a couple days ago, too. It's added in a Hero Mode to go along with the original adventure. Still not sure if it needed to be full price though.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago Started Untitled Goose Game last night after finishing Spyro Reignited.

Honk.
Honk
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

So I finished both X-2 and XII since I last posted.
Here's my full rankings for 1-XII, and side games I've played. I'm gonna be playing Adventures, Tactics 2, and Crystal Chronicles in the future to complete the rankings.
5/5: 6, 9
4/5: 5, X, X-2, XII, FFTA
3/5: 1, 2, MQ
2/5: 7, 8
1/5: 3, 4
Null/5: FFT (Will never get far at all in this one, permadeath is a dealbreaker for me.)

and yes, I consider Mystic Quest better than 7 and 8. Fight me.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

pholtos wrote: 4 years ago 2/5: 7, 8
Null/5: FFT (Will never get far at all in this one, permadeath is a dealbreaker for me.)

My onions:
6/5: IX
5/5: I, V, VI, VII, X
4/5: II, III, IV, VIII
3/5: MQ

Made it a bit further in Shining Force, Chapter VI. Currently grinding a bit to get everyone to Promoted!Level 10.

Also played Dragon Quest I SFC in Japanese for the hell of it. Lovely game (beat it in a couple of hours), but trying to associate what spell does what in Japanese is hard when the names are all made up words in the original language (Hoimi/Behoimi, Gira/Begirama, Riremito, Ruler, Laliho, Mahotoon, Remiira, Toheros). FF's spells are far easier to understand (Care -> Cure, Reflec -> Reflect, Protes -> Protect).

Cheat sheet:
Hoimi -> Heal
Gira -> Sizz (Hurt)
Laliho -> Snooze (Sleep)
Remiira -> Glow (Radiant)
Mahotoon -> Fizzle (Stopspell)
Riremito -> Evac (Outside)
Ruler -> Zoom (Return)
Toheros -> Holy Protection (Repel)
Behoimi -> Midheal (Healmore)
Begirama -> Sizzle (Hurtmore)
Image Image
The Hero Hartmut
First name: Garreth

Post by The Hero Hartmut »

No matter how terrible I am at Nuzlocke runs, I always find myself coming back to them. I've just recently started a new run, this time on White version. I named the player character 'Beige', and am naming all my catches with synonyms and other words that relate to the word 'boring'. I'm currently grinding ahead of the second gym, and my team is currently level 17-18 across the board:

Boring the Dewott (F)
Mundane the Herdier (F)
Monotonous the Blitzle (F
Drudgery the Roggenrola (M)
Routine the Timburr (M)

RIP to Insipid the Patrat (F), who didn't make it past Route 1.
Last edited by The Hero Hartmut 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
HatKid

Post by HatKid »

I've finished much less FF games then either of you (KobaBeach and pholtos) but
pholtos wrote: 5/5: 6, 9
is the correct answer.
Other than that, uh
4/5: VII
3/5: II
2/5: IV
1/5: I (I've only played the NES version so might be why I really don't like it)
--
Getting very close to finishing Super Robot Wars OG1, at Episode 39. I don't have enough battle masteries to

unlock the final episode so... I wonder how the game is going to end. I do plan to go through the game again in Kyosuke's route at some point so that run will be for getting things I missed, probably

After I'm done with OG1, I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to play next. I'm considering starting OG2 but also I've been thinking of resuming my plat run of P4G so I can be done with it forever.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Final Fantasy Ranking

Post by Awoo »

pholtos wrote: 4 years ago So I finished both X-2 and XII since I last posted.
Here's my full rankings for 1-XII, and side games I've played. I'm gonna be playing Adventures, Tactics 2, and Crystal Chronicles in the future to complete the rankings.
5/5: 6, 9
4/5: 5, X, X-2, XII, FFTA
3/5: 1, 2, MQ
2/5: 7, 8

and yes, I consider Mystic Quest better than 7 and 8. Fight me.
It's really not *too* easy to get a permadeath in FFT, in its defense
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
The Hero Hartmut
First name: Garreth

Post by The Hero Hartmut »

RIP to Routine and Monotonous. The former got critted by a wild Petilil in Pinwheel Forest, and the latter failed to take down a trainer's Basculin on Route 4, and was hurt enough for the sandstorm to finish her off. I have since captured Plebian the Scraggy, but, being part-Dark type, he won't be of much particular help for the next few gyms.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Been replaying a bit of Wild ARMs on the Playstation Classic my brother bought me ages ago (I honestly wanted the SNES Classic, but at least we're modding the PSC). We will be getting the Genesis Mini though, hype. I'll try to shell some dosh out for the SNES and PCE ones when I get a job...

Not in the mood for the razzle and dazzle of FFVII and Revelations: Persona is the inferior version even if you don't consider the whitewashing + tokenizing Masao, it was really only put in there to capitalize on Persona 3-5.

Also the D-Pad in the PS Classic controllers is like one giant button instead of four separate little nubs and it's like if you press the right half of the down nub too hard you'll also be tilting the right nub down and this is super bad and not good because you'll just be causing diagonals when you just want to go one cardinal direction and it is fucking stupid. imagine a world where sony knew how not to be cheapasses

I also played a bit of Phantasy Star II but this game is crusty af. It's such a step back from the first one in gameplay and gameplay alone What The Fuck. The first one was released two days after FF1 and was on the Master System. I got to Shure last time, but I lost my save so fdasfasfasdfasdfasdf Gotta do it again.

You know a game is starting out well when you start with grinding like five levels to not die outside of the first area (Nei gained like 8 but she gains levels really fast

there is a reason for this

), and also the walking speed in towns and the overworld is below Lufia 1's dungeon walking speed. Like yes, I know, Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest also gives you the incentive to grind for gold to buy armor and stuff so you're even better prepared. Rolf/Eusis and Nei can barely equip any of the stuff in Paseo, and most of what they can isn't really worth it apart from like Headband, Fiber Vest and Carbon Shield for Rolf and a Steel Pipe for Nei. This is just mindless power levelling.

I'm not saying this to shit on the game and say "oh jrpgs were never good, sega was never good, sonic had a rocky road since the jump to 3d but did you know these hot facts about how sonic was not good", it pioneered a lot and I will most likely coming out of it respecting it for a lot of shit like I did with FFIV and whatnot, I'm just saying that right out of the gate it's leaving the worst impression ever and it is like hachi machi

I'm glad you get to play as the humble son of a shepherd in this game though /s
Wonder if Danny Antonucci got that name from this game? Truly, a mystery

Nei is a cute totally-not-a-catgirl and I would [pansex]smooch her consensually[/pansex] and play Fighting Vipers with her (will forever suck ass with Grace and Bahn) and also she says trans rights

The Hero Hartmut wrote: RIP to Routine and Monotonous. The former got critted by a wild Petilil in Pinwheel Forest, and the latter failed to take down a trainer's Basculin on Route 4, and was hurt enough for the sandstorm to finish her off. I have since captured Plebian the Scraggy, but, being part-Dark type, he won't be of much particular help for the next few gyms.
time to rise and grind
Image Image
HatKid

Post by HatKid »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago Revelations: Persona
I have been summoned
The PSP version is mostly superior but the PS1 version has a soundtrack that fits the game much better, and it also has every song. Unlike the PSP version where the OST is significantly smaller so songs are reused a ton where there were unique songs in the original. Plus, a lot of the SFX were changed. Like, in the PSP version when you summon a Persona it sounds like a toilet flushing but in the PS1 version it's more of a wail or something.
tl;dr: PSP version is better except for sound design.
I really like P1 so I've played both versions a few times (also taking the JP PS1 version for a spin) and I can't help but chime in when it's mentioned! People hardly ever talk about it sadly :(
The English localization of Revelations: Persona is horrendous but I find it charming in a way.
I'm done now stringing together random thoughts now.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

HatKid wrote: 4 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago Revelations: Persona
I have been summoned
Yeah, I was thinking of playing the PSP version.

Not opposed to playing the JP PSX version whenever though. Sad that it doesn't have a translation patch, but PSX translation patches are hard to do.

PoPoLoCrois is also weird on the PSP front like. The PSP version is meant to be a pairing of Monogatari 1&2 with extra content linking them together (I suppose taking the place of PoPoRogue), but it cuts off so much content, alters a lot of the story (White Knight is found in the Godrif mines instead of the Graveyard of Iron since the whole "retrieving the crown" plot of Chapter 1 is nixed and you start at basically Chapter 2) and nerfs a lot of the original games for no reason at all.

Like Guts don't even matter anymore iirc, instead of being a strength meter that decreased with each physical attack (it sounds kinda stupid but it's a fun mechanic, you charge it up by defending or with kiais battle cries). The difficulty of Monogatari 1 is also completely gone, Monogatari 1 kicks your ass from here to next Sunday but here it's a pretty breezy run through. (can't comment on Monogatari 2, still playing Monogatari 1)

At the end of the day it's only good for being the one of the few English bits of PoPoLoCrois media alongside the subbed anime series (plural) and Return to PoPoLoCrois on the 3DS. If you know Japanese or don't mind playing JP only RPGs with the aid of a walkthrough or something, you're better off playing the PSX originals + PoPoRogue (the PS2 games aren't very good either, so I heard, you're better off with the anime adaptation).

I almost have the mind to just extract the scripts of the PS1 games, translating them and posting them on Romhacking.net so someone with advanced PSX hacking capabilities can do something with them, the game is a hot mess under the hood and would require extensive recoding, I've heard. It also uses the PSX bios font for the various story intermissions in the game.

Maybe the same with Summon Night 1&2 (if I can extract PS2 stuff I'll go for 3&4+Ex-Thesis too, Fighfar is my wife), Albert Odyssey 1&2 (Saturn one is Gaiden), Mystic Ark: Maboroshi Gekijou etc, those games look super fascinating to me as well.

Extracting scripts isn't very hard, especially if you can build a hex to kana/kanji "translator" to speed things up. I've more or less learned the basics with Journey to Silius (which has its own way of storing words) and Faxanadu (which uses ASCII), English versions respectively. I just have no experience with PSX but from what I've seen in slowbeef's Policenauts LP it's not very different (Policenauts seems to use ASCII btw). You just need time because sometimes games can have their text stored alongside the control codes and whatnot and it is super jank and not fun to deal with (see: Final Fantasy Adventure).

I'm kind of anxious about asking for help because I'm worried people will just be more concerned with telling me it's too far out of my league and that I shouldn't do it and that I'm an idiot newb for even thinking about it or whatever.
Image Image
HatKid

Post by HatKid »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago Yeah, I was thinking of playing the PSP version.

Not opposed to playing the JP PSX version whenever though. Sad that it doesn't have a translation patch, but PSX translation patches are hard to do.
Makes sense to me. Do try the PS1 version at some point. There's a lot of interesting differences between the two versions, one of the most noticeable being the world map: Fully 3D in the PS1 version (plus a labeled map you can pull up) to an isometric 2D map in the PSP version (and no map you can pull up).
It is unfortunate that there is no patch but it's not too surprising. Like who cares about Persona games before 3????? One could probably just use the PSP script, it's quite good imo. I did try poking around the Japanese ISO but as someone who knows basically nothing about hacking at all, let alone PS1 hacking, I got very confused and did not do that for very long.