(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by raekuul »

Bravely Second: On to Florem, I guess? I forget what happens after the Sapp and Piddler fight in Chapter 2.

Mario+Rabbids - Kingdom Battle: oh neat my partially-complete save file didn't get backed up so whoops time to start over. I really would like a "New Game Plus" mode like what the Fire Emblems have. Then again I would also like for the Battle HQ to be fully unlocked in 1-1, too, both for weapons and for the skill tree (I kept trying to use Mario's jump attack, and he can't have that until after you've rescued Luigi)

Zero Wing: So there's actually a game underneath all these memes. Neat.

Comix Zone: I saw someone somewhere say that having savestates makes the game beatable, which... yeah. I can see that.

Nintendo Switch, in general: So apparently the Switch struggles with 1TB sdxc, which means I get to go back to a 128GB one in the interim while I figure this stuff out. Ah well, the chip was bought cheaply anyway, so this is probably for the best.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Arc the Lad II - Dreamt abt Arc the Lad today so. Replayed up to Yagos Isle to try and catch up to where I got on my Vita. Still a beautiful game.

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - Picking up where I left off and with the help of a guide I'm at the Eternal Corridor. Heading to fight Adramelech.

EDIT: Beat Adramelech earlier this morning.

EDIT 2:
Densetsu no Starfy - At Level 5: The Wrecked Ship.

VIP and Wall and Alaska Mix 4 - At ★-1: Flooded Mansion. I can manage, I just need a break for now. Almost done with World 1.

Hyper Mari World 6 - At 2-1: ReSoil Caves Course 1. I want to know how is it possible for a game to be as least youtube looking as possible while simultaneously feeling youtube as fuck

VIP and Wall Mix - At: 4-1: Chase That Shell!, cleared World 3.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I have been playing with my newly acquired Steam Deck.

It's definitely a great way to play your Steam games away from your desk. Feels comfortable to hold and play games on. The button layout is a bit weird but you get used to it quickly. Proton has pleasantly surprised me in how well it runs Windows games and is pretty reliable.

That all said, the Steam Deck absolutely sucks when you try to do anything outside of Steam. The device's desktop mode is atrocious. You're going to want to hook up a USB hub with a keyboard and mouse, because trying to do anything with the built-in inputs blows. The virtual keyboard barely works, the touch inputs are wildly inaccurate, and the trackpads are overly sensitive. Note that all of these issues (including the virtual keyboard) are only present in desktop mode. The game/console mode that the device boots in is far more polished and comfortable, so you'll want to stick with that and only use desktop mode when absolutely necessary.

If you don't mind tinkering with the Steam Deck for about an hour or so, you can give it an alternate use as an emulation device. I followed the guide below...

...and it works great. You can boot up EmulationStation like any other Steam game and then play whatever roms you want.

A few important notes about the Steam Deck:

The framerate limiter is currently not great. It introduces mild to severe input lag (depending on the setting). It's best to just turn it off and let the games themselves handle the framerate.

The sleep mode seems to break certain games, especially ones running in Proton. I would use it with caution. This is a shared issue with Anbernic handhelds.

The d-pad has very bad left-side diagonals, but they improve over time with use. You have to wear it in, I guess.

Because the queue is insanely long and the Steam Deck is getting regular updates, I imagine some of its issues will be sorted out by the time you get one even if you order right now. As someone who got the device in Q3 I apparently missed out on some of the more glaring issues.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

VIP and Wall Mix 2 - Savescummed on P-Switch Returns because that stage is shit. At "Many Uses of a Key".

A Super Mario Thing - At World 3.

I gained the mutant ability to yump almost at will in Switch Palaces.
11clock wrote: 1 year ago words
I'd kill for a handheld Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2 and Steam machine, as a handheld console nerd but going through the whole rigamarole for the Steam Deck seems like too much rn.
Image Image
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago I personally like the crusty, FF12 esque aesthetics of the Wii version better myself.

I'll probably emulate Blade 1 and Blade X, X should run at 30 FPS due to my slightly underpowered PC (saving up for new parts), and then purchase 1Def and 2 and eventually 3 some other times on my Switch. X really needs a port. Gears and Saga 1-3 are definitely higher priority due to coming first, though I feel Saga 1&2 seem a bit messy. There is Saga DS (2D version of Xenosaga 1&2, JP only) but i'd like to experience that one alongside the PS2 originals, I heard it's kind of better, at least better than 2's original version.
Haha, fair. I played and enjoyed the original on the Wii when it first came out when Project Rainfall was a thing, but looking back, I really don't like the original art style at all lmao

Definitive Edition is still worth playing even if you've played the original imo, especially thanks to the extra story and a small challenge mode if you're into that sort of thing. The QoL improvements and conveniences alongside the improved UI and general aesthetics are also all super nice.

TOTALLY AGREE about X needing a port. I'm thinking that they'll focus on X after 3 and its DLC come out, as there are some things that they've taken from X that can be seen in the showcases of 3 so that has me hoping that they're gonna flip the assets and have a head start on that front. Plus, X needs a sequel the most (once you play it you'll understand), so releasing an X port before a sequel can really help more people get into it.

I'm emulating Xenogears and streaming it on Twitch right now, and it's pretty cool! I would get it physically but there's no way I can use a capture card on a PS1 game, and Sony stopped putting Xenogears on the digital store after PS3, so I'm out of luck there, as well. Still, the game's been fun and it's cool to see where the series began. Very nice pixel art mixed with 3D environments and the battle system is also pretty cool for a turn-based RPG, though it does show signs of PS1-era clunkiness in the gameplay and writing at points. Nothing too bad, though! I also wanna play Xenosaga, but emulating PS2 is really fucking annoying and Episode III is SO fucking expensive. I have Episode I and Episode II shouldn't be hard to get, but Episode III is gonna be a bitch (especially if I wanna stream it).
raekuul wrote: 1 year ago My switch was still missing at the time, plus by playing the 3DS version I can take it into the restroom and chip away at it on breaks. I've become paranoid and now my switch is not to leave a very small (and very easily searched) section of house.
I get that. It's always there if you wanna double-dip, and like I said to Koba, it's still worth getting even if you've played the normal version thanks to all the extra content and conveniences. All that matters is that you're getting into the series; hope you enjoy the rest of the games! They're similar yet different at the same time. I'm always interested in seeing which ones people prefer!
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So I'm on vacation now, meaning game playing will be limited. But I'll throw up some things I've done lately...

The Fiesta continues in Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster. A couple flaws have shown up in the game that are a bit iffy. One, auto-battle doesn't work if you're doing specific targeting. An example of this using Gold Needles to insta-kill Objets d'Art in Bal Basement, which is your AP (and to a lesser extent gil) grind in World 2. In auto-battle, it just uses the item on yourself. Not particularly useful, really. I guess the GBA version (well...emulated) has the advantage there, though not by much. Also, I did see some crashes here or there that were frustrating to deal with.

That said, it's still pretty good. The fact that Quick Save is a permanent (as opposed to one-time-only) save is really nice, meaning that it's easy to do things such as gather Fabulous Prizes do Gil Cave pretty easily a few times to build up your gil count. The RNG is a bit more potent this time around—sometimes you'll reset and Gil Turtle appears the very first step you take—but it's a simple matter of Alt+F4ing and getting back. So that's pretty nice.

Ground a little harder than I needed to, but I wanted at least two characters to have Iainuki, which made the Crystal Seals in Great Forest of Moore go down in two rounds. Plus side is, I'm at Level 32 entering World 3, which means that the Almagest Grind (which this team will need to do because it has no chance to reduce Almagest's damage output) will be a bit shorter. I'm guessing I still need to reach at least Level 43 or so because of the Summoner in my party, but still, less of a grind is good.

Also have been playing some co-op again with my friend. The main game we've been playing is Overcooked! 2, which has been a lot of fun. Just goofing off and cooking stuff, there's nothing really more to it than that. We're not going for 100% completion, especially because a lot of the game requires a full kitchen of four people to get some of the big scores (especially in New Game+). Regardless, we've completed the main campaign and have been going through the DLC. On top of that, we got back into Shift Happens before I left for my vacation. We cleared the third (of four) sections, this time full-clearing it (though no time attack stars).

Finally, in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, I've made progress on the museum.

The last bug is in captivity. The island is at peace.

Two of the four museum wings are complete. What's left:
  • 3 fish: Two I can get now (but they're pier fish, uuuugh), one I have to wait until December (unless I time travel)
  • 2 deep sea creatures, which I can get now
  • 3 statues, one I deliberately missed the first chance I got (because I accidentally bought a forgery of another painting), the other I missed because I thought I already had it
  • 8 paintings
Other than that, just kind of trundling about there. Might install the DLC at some point, not sure when. (Though I did learn there are 12 new KK songs, so I should get to that)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i savescummed, dont care
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

considering what that game's like in the later stages I don't blame you. Being required to change weapons at least twice in the same stage is bullshit (shield doesn't work against Unicorn and evidently you need to have the shield for the grand finale)
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raekuul wrote: 1 year ago shield doesn't work against Unicorn
I think it does? Not sure. I was just very tired and bored. I wanted to practice toolless play using tools but I might do that later.

EDIT: Beat Air Man and Bubble Man in Rockman no Constancy, only Endless Lives, no tools.
Image Image
Matthew_Coco
I do be vibin' though >o<
Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Matthew_Coco »

Been playing both the Battle Mania games on the Mega Drive. Also getting back into JUMP 1/2 after a week long break. (life)
i savescummed, dont care
I have vague memories of beating the first run on a school laptop without using savestates. (Never beat the full game) That was YEARS ago and recently when I tried the game again, I kept getting my ass kicked on the second level. Like, what?
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Beat Dual Heroes earlier in the wee hours of the night (8:07 AM rn), I used Kumo (that dance attack) but I mostly spammed her kick combos, I should have set up my controls properly and practiced with her a bit.

Trying to finish Kabuki Castle in Ganbare Goemon 2 SNES. Who knew you could make a game that's light on hardcore platforming hard if you make everything cramped and full of enemies just pelting you with lanterns, bombs and bullets. Actually that makes perfect sense

the lanterns

Image Image
LethalBrownies
Coming soon to own on DVD

Post by LethalBrownies »

Just entered the Bowser castle world in Vip 2. A little disappointed that they didn't do anything with the overworld map except make it a black screen since they really could have done anything but at the same time it's one of the reasons I like Vip - they just don't give a shit haha~ :catplanet2:
LethalBrownies

Post by LethalBrownies »

Okay at this point in my smw playing abilities I can confidently say I couldn't complete Vip 2 without tools. Multiple levels make me say this, but this level with the yoshi section in the endgame Bowser world is kinda silly.

Maybe one day I could try a run tool-less, but I am just not good enough for this game as it stands haha :partygator: I love it don't get me wrong but dang it man.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I mostly stayed in bed most of yesterday, but the day before I played some more SNES games.

ActRaiser 2 - Did good in Industen Woods but the boss of Benefic River destroyed me. Need to practice it. Japanese version has slightly more balanced damage ratio and gives you more lives at startup and better health pickups (iirc?), but has the downside of still not having Creation Mode.
Accele Brid - Weird semi-3D shooter, Stage 1's background animation is so confusing, but I managed to understand the game now. Made it to Stage 2, but I didn't put a save state, because I didn't feel like it.
DBZ Super Butouden - holy shit i forgot how Poverty this was. The jumps feel so bad, and I'm a Virtua Fighter stan. I still need to play through Butouden 3 and Hyper Dimension.
Cu-On-Pa - Japanese port of EndorFun on Windows 95 iirc? Super fun, super addicting, got up to 2-2 on the Normal maps. I imagine it only gets tougher ;;
Hashire Hebereke - what the fuck are these controls
Lion King - Holy cow I'm rusty.

Alien Soldier - Again, I'm rusty. Need to grind this out again sometime.
Panorama Cotton - why is the first stage so long...
Castle of Illusion (today) - Made it up to the last stage. Light savestate usage due to limited continues. Will continue soon, very slippery controls.
Image Image
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I beat Mega Man Battle Network. It's quite bad and I cannot recommend it unless you are really curious. I only played to the end since I intend on playing the whole series (and of course buying the official collection when it releases to pay my dues), and the games apparently get a lot better after the first one. Interesting battle system, but it suffers from literally every bad JRPG trope ever.

Apparently there are a few post-game boss fights I could do, but fighting them means exploring the Net more, which I absolutely will not force myself to suffer through again.

I wanted to avoid using savestates, but the lack of saves after the atrocious MagicMan fight forced my hand. It took me like 10+ attempts to defeat the final boss, so not using savestates would've meant suffering through MagicMan multiple times, and even more attempts at the final boss because I would lose my muscle memory by the time I get there each time. (The final boss itself was pretty good, though.)

I hope that the later games handle the card system better. Usually what makes a deckbuilder fun is having cards play off of each other to perform combos, but because of how the attack system works you are instead encouraged to make your deck as monotonous as possible.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Pretty much been playing the usual suspects. Fire Emblem: Three Hopes, TMNT: Shredder's Revenge, and Among Us. I really don't want to play games that involve thinking right now other than remembering who was where in the last one.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

We've got cousins over for the week so my usual play group is disrupted.

Might and Magic 6: Working on a "No Monster EXP" challenge mod to overlay with the Skill Emphasis mod; the balance is screwy but that's because the other people working on Skill Emphasis decided to go full ham on spell rebalancing which... I usually play Pivot Melee and end up with a more generalized build while the Skill Emphasis mod in its current state strongly rewards min-maxing.

Pokemon Emerald: Time to go rescue Mister Briney from the clutches of Team Aqua.

Mario+Rabbids - Kingdom Battle: Ready to start chapter 2

Nintendo Switch, in general: Gave up on trying to use the 1TB and bought a 400GB to use instead. Hopefully this one will work (it's actually a SanDisk one this time).
11clock

Post by 11clock »

raekuul wrote: 1 year ago Mario+Rabbids - Kingdom Battle: Ready to start chapter 2
If you haven't done so, I recommend doing all of the challenges and secret chapter in world 1 first. All optional challenges are balanced around when you unlock them, so they will be a snooze-fest if you save them for later. A shame that this can happen, since the challenges have some of the most interesting battles in the game. They take place on maps you have already done, but they are used in brand new ways.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I can do most of the chapter 1 challenges todayish, yeah (Chapter 1 only has one that'll be hairy with this few skill points and even then I can just do that one "last"); it's mostly just right now I want to try and get All Greens on the first pass. I actually also still need to go back and raid Chapter 1 for the block pushing stuff (cousins pushed me into Chapter 2 when I wasn't paying attention though and my poor prioritization skills are going to basically lock me into Chapter 2 as a result)
LethalBrownies

Post by LethalBrownies »

Decided to take a break from the VIPs and play something a little easier, something I could manage reliably without having to reach for tools like a scrub. I went for New Super Mario World 1: The Twelve Magic Orbs. So far a fun little game. It adds powerups and the secret exits are fun.
As the name implies it has twelve worlds which is insane. It's 'hard' difficulty so I'd imagine it gets relatively difficult by the endgame so I'm looking forward to that. Haven't figured out what all of the powerups do yet. That's one of the things I wish the author would have done was make a tutorial level to teach the new powerups but oh well.

4 worlds in, its a nice palette cleanser from the crazy hard of the VIPs. But this game does have some hard parts I will give it credit for. :ehh:
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

stray

:catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet:

:catcrime:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
LethalBrownies

Post by LethalBrownies »

I'm finding that ASMT really succeeds in being like the VIPs in that they are very generous with their powerups.

I really appreciate this, because I'm terrible at video games and need the crutch haha~ I feel like this is something that other emulators of the VIPs do poorly is they are very stingy with powerups.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I stayed in bed all day again yesterday, horrible muscle pains in my arms possibly from workout*, still recovering a bit.

Made it to Japanese Food Castle in Ganbare Goemon 2 and I still need to puzzle out the boss, forgot about it entirely. Turns out the answer to Marble Blue's mech was "Use Sasuke". He deals the most damage to bosses. never using goemon again

Also got to the Fiends' Cloister in Romancing SaGa 2 PC, but I'm gonna look up some Japanese gameplay videos to get some pointers on whether my current party is good for the Gelatinous Matter or if i should level up a marginal bit (being careful not to increment the Timeflow Rank too much).

Also tried to play Shubibinman 1 earlier today and it felt miserable. There's this one parody YouTuber I used to watch who used to make fun of this one AVGN clone I also used to watch (and who also ran off to Mexico to avoid court dates about him stalking his ex) complaining about controls in every game being "stiff and slippery". That's literally this game.

Level design is also a mess. I guess I can compare it to JJ and Jeff/Kato-chan and Ken-chan or the above ground areas of Keith Courage/Mashin Hero Wataru, but they thought one tile jumps should be even more part of the constant level design. "The augmenting your choices and upgrades through facilities you unlock" (full title of the series is Modified Townsfolk Shubibinman) aspect is interesting, but it's kind of underbaked.

Doesn't help your health upgrades go down the more you die. I think repairing them in a hospital you've rescued or with Prof. Gotoukuji's help (pay ¥500 more tho lmao) can restore them but you run the issue that half of the money you obtain is lost unless you unlock the bank at the northwest of town which is a bit of the ways in depending on priority.

You also have a timespan of 18 days (and 18 nights?) to finish the game but each attempt at a stage only takes like one half of the day away.

Trying again though, looking up a video walkthrough for this.

i walked up the stairs in my building (most of the way, one and a half floor) like 10 times, did like 7 pushups (poorly done iirc?), 10 situps with minimal assistance and, 25 sort of... i don't know what to call it because it's not deadlifts but i lifted a heavy weight to my chest and lifted it up, then back down to my chest and down, rapidly

now that im losing weight, i want to be a bara so bad
need to ask my nutritionist about any possible side effects of protein shakes in crohn's after my stomach stops being swolen
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The slowest playthrough I've done in a while keeps going on with Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes. Getting closer to the end, but it's taking a bit. And it's not like the game's boring or anything, but it's one of those perfect short session games.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I tried playing Infernax. This may sound weird, but I actually liked Zelda 2 (the Redux version, anyways) a lot more. Infernax feels like a poor imitation. Combat is just spamming attack while hoping that the enemy doesn’t manage to get a hit in (Zelda 2 puts way more emphasis on shield play). There is a lot of super tedious backtracking (Zelda 2 mitigates this with an overworld map and small areas). The player character has way too high of a jump height for it to be static (in Zelda 2 you have a small jump height unless you use a spell). I eventually lost interest by the end of the first dungeon where I couldn’t figure out how to damage the boss since he kept blocking my attacks with his claw.