(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by BurntTenda »

I beat Disc 1 of FF8.
The entire Deling City was pretty awesome.
Just the parade and everything going wrong at every turn...

I ended up dying after the Laguna segment because drifting controls caused Zell to hit himself and I just didn't realize it until it was too late.

I've also gotten the Enterprise in FF3 DS.
This is much further than the first time I tried playing the game.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
The Hero Hartmut
First name: Garreth

Post by The Hero Hartmut »

And now Arid's dead from two consecutive Pursuits in a double battle's first turn. As a part Ghost-type, I doubt she'd have survived even if I wasn't switching her out. They were both Zebstrika; staying in would have been equally risky, since she was also part Water-type. At least I had Pallid to take up her mantle, even if her nature is negative-SpDef.

Also caught a Golett in Dragonspire Tower, now named Plodding.

Me: Please be Iron Fist, please be Iron Fist...
Plodding: (is Klutz)
Me: Dammit.

Time to try and source a Sticky Barb from the Ferroseed in Chargestone Cave...
warpio

Post by warpio »

I bought Yooka Laylee & The Impossible Lair, cuz I figured you can't go wrong with a DKC clone right? and raocow has kinda put me in the mood for more of that.

Something about it just... doesn't impress me at all though. The level design is far more bland than even anything in DKC1, it has none of the fun bonus games of DKC2 or 3, and it doesn't have any of the tightly designed platforming that both the Rare and Retro DKC games have. I don't know it's just the enemy placements don't feel well thought out, like there's often a lot of waiting around for enemies to get out of the way and it breaks the flow of the platforming way too often.

Same with the placement of quills (the equivalent of bananas). Whereas usually in DKC banana trails will be placed so that you can collect most of them within the natural flow of running/jumping through the level, but in this game the quills all feel like I have to stop the flow of the level to collect all of them, as they'll usually be flying around erratically within a single spot or placed outside of the natural platforming paths...

This also has the similar feature of Yoshi's Crafted World where you can play an alternate version of every stage where it's the same location but changed in various ways. But in this case they made it so your first pass through a stage you'll see a lot of places you can't go yet, and you have no way of knowing if you're missing a secret or if you just have to come back in the alternate version later. There's a lot of secrets that are basically just "high-bounce off this enemy before you kill it", so it always feels like I could be missing stuff but I'm never really sure...

I dunno I'm just 1/3rd of the way through it, but usually by point in all 5 of the DKC games I'd already found some things to love about each of them, and this game just has none of that...
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Nah I concur, the levels are bland and uncreative, the lack of a "restart from checkpoint" feature is baffling with the number of one-way points & mean ways coins are hidden, feathers aren't incentivized enough for me to do dangerous stuff to try and get more, the lack of any real death penalty besides "go back to the last checkpoint" makes it hard for me to want to try much (despite this system working just fine for rayman origins/legends?), being able to try and get your extra hit back almost seems to make the game harder if anything considering how laylee likes to spazz about

The controls feel solid but the game doesn't take advantage of that much & most of the level design is gimmick-centric rather than platforming-centric, there's a lot of random stuff strewn about in levels such that you never know if like, a plant or bomb you can pick up is needed for a secret or not, or if the tough spot you're trying to get to is actually just for more feathers

I do like the overworld exploration, there's some clever puzzle stuff there at least though it feels a bit... small, almost. Most of the game is still the unimpressive and dated 2D platforming. I definitely had more fun with the original despite its problems.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Been working on my 1cc of Touhou 14. I dunno if I'm just rusty or what after not playing in a while, but I'm having a pretty hard time here. Making stupid mistakes and whatnot. Kinda frustrating, and the fact that the last two bosses use some bullet patterns that I've never been good at dodging doesn't help. WHY ARE THERE BULLETS COMING FROM THE BACK OH GOD WHY I HATE YOU SEIJA
Arrietty
Smol like a frend.
First name: Arrietty
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arrietty »

I am going through the SEGA Genesis Mini games starting in Release Date order.

So naturally the first game I've played is Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle as it is the first in the list aaaaaaand... it's not great. At all. ctually, it was pretty bad. What a lousy game to end the franchise on considering the first game (Miracle World) was actually okay.

Things I like about it:
  • Uhhh. Some of the puzzles in the final world were neat... in concept.
  • Game is a bit merciful with the Continues that as long as you have $1000 gold, you can come back from a Game Over.
It is really hard to think of what I actually like about that game. :ehh:

Things I dislike about it:
  • Slippery controls, makes it very easy to get hit by enemies/obstacles. This is especially a huge problem in games where you die in a single hit.
  • Attacking in midair requires you to let go the jump button. Yes. You kick in mid air by letting go of the jump button. It is as cumbersome as it sounds.
  • Inconsistent hitboxes. It's sometimes unpredictable to know if your attack will be successful or not, so I for the life of me cannot understand why I fail to hit something.
  • Enemies are active off screen, making it easy to jump into them by accident in vertical sections.
  • Forgettable and weak level design. The game does get a bit meatier with the level design towards the end, but also gets more frustrating and cheap at the same time. There are no levels I've actually enjoyed in this game.
  • Dying in the Sky level at all brings you all the way back to the beginning of a stage that takes place before it (Rocky Mountain 2). As if both stages weren't already horrible. Fun.
  • Terribly repetitive and obnoxious music. I was stuck in the final level for hours, dealing with this dang song.
  • Game is just generally ugly and unpleasant to look at. What the hell was that hedgehog sprite?
1/10 game

The next game I'm about to play is Altered Beast as that came next. It's one of my first games ever but I've never beaten it. I guess I should finally put that to a close.
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

GenesisJames wrote: 4 years ago Been working on my 1cc of Touhou 14. I dunno if I'm just rusty or what after not playing in a while, but I'm having a pretty hard time here. Making stupid mistakes and whatnot. Kinda frustrating, and the fact that the last two bosses use some bullet patterns that I've never been good at dodging doesn't help. WHY ARE THERE BULLETS COMING FROM THE BACK OH GOD WHY I HATE YOU SEIJA
Okay, forget Seija; she's pretty easy other than, like, two spells. Fuck Sukuna though, seriously. I think her problem is that if you mess up once, you're basically screwed for the rest of the attack. Unlike other bosses where you can kinda correct yourself and get back into gear, I don't think you can for most of Sukuna's spells. You have to do them the right way on the first try or else you might as well bomb through the rest of the card. I hate her messing with hitbox sizes, too. I get that it's her gimmick, but I find it hard to tell how close I can get to each bullet type when she manipulates them. I'm honestly not having a fun time with her at all.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Arrietty wrote: 4 years ago I am going through the SEGA Genesis Mini games starting in Release Date order.

So naturally the first game I've played is Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle as it is the first in the list aaaaaaand... it's not great. At all. ctually, it was pretty bad. What a lousy game to end the franchise on
i'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but shinobi world came after

a huge problem with enchanted world is also the rock paper scissors sucking huge metric tons of ass which is pretty hilarious because it's actually pretty good and fun in the Mega Drive Doraemon game where it's used as a boss battle mechanic but it's a competition to get three wins first and it also has a goddamned draw state with the looking to the side portion instead of just "oops you fucked up once, guess you lose your money"

Arrietty wrote: 4 years ago The next game I'm about to play is Altered Beast as that came next. It's one of my first games ever but I've never beaten it. I guess I should finally put that to a close.
Altered Beast is pretty eh imo, but SEGA likes to shove it in every compilation because it's a Mega Drive launch title?

It's kinda like if Nintendo decided Pilotwings deserved top billing in every single set of SNES game rereleases.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Altered Beast's inclusion in every compilation ever is some kind of contractual requirement with the devil himself
Arrietty
Smol like a frend.

Post by Arrietty »

I went and beat Altered Beast last night, it was a lot shorter than I expected. It's not exactly awful, but it's just mediocre. I had a genuine laugh at the enemy designs in the later levels too. Stage 5 especially in particular with the goat men and unicorns. That said, I had some fun with the game, so I didn't regret playing it, especially when its so short. I do sort of enjoy the idea that you can get to a stage boss quicker if you are skilled enough to get all 3 power up orbs within the first loop of a stage. 5/10 game I guess? It's just kinda jank, ugly and short. Oh and the bosses are way too easy if you know what you're doing. I find the stages themselves way harder. (Also thank god for the A+Start Continue Code)
...Why is the final boss Rocksteady? Couldn't you just picked a more threatening looking design as your final boss especially when you've fought nothing but hideous beasts from earlier levels?
This morning I've done a few run attempts at Golden Axe and Space Harrier II. Both games are pretty enjoyable. I plan to beat both games tonight. I'm at least confident with the former.

I got to Stage 5 in Space Harrier 2, but I game over on every single stage. Interesting how the game let's you select literally any stage when you begin though, is it considered cheating if I use it? The option is there so openly and I only pick the last level I've died on as a "continue".

Golden Axe is better than I've remembered. It's a decent game but up until the final boss. The final boss *loves* spamming screen clearing magic moves which makes it almost literally impossible to dodge. I just need to remember to not to fight his skeleton army and just focus on the boss himself. I could've beaten that game on the same morning as I've did Altered Beast had I realize the skeletons has double the HP the final boss has for some reason. What a pain.

The Dwarf is probably my favorite character to use because of his axe. I had a much easier time hitting things as oppose to the amazon girl whose range is really small (but she has the best magic in the game, and is generally considered the best character apparently).

"Hey, Arri, isn't Ghouls n Ghosts between Space Harrier and Golden Axe in that Release Order list in the Mini?"

Shhhh
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Not playing much of anything right now. Still need to do the Back Door of Bowser's Castle and all of Special World. That's all that's standing in the way... but it's been like that for a month now. Oops.
The Hero Hartmut

Reached Opelucid City in my Nuzlocke. Routes 9 and 10 yielded nothing in terms of captures (the former was a Herdier that I wasn't interested in, and the latter was a Duosion that Pedestrian the Scraggy accidentally killed), though I at least got Flat the Stunfisk (heh) from Icirrus City and Banal the Palpitoad from the Moor of Icirrus. Just a couple more levels for Soporific the Larvesta before I unload my Rare Candies onto it for evolution, too.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I've been casually playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe when i get the time. I was never SUPER into Mario Kart. I definitely liked playing Double Dash with my friends when i was little even though I don't think any of us really knew what we were doing. I had previously probably put the most time into 7 cause it was at a point one of the few only good games for 3DS. But in 8 now I'm trying to 3-star all the cups right now, and just finished my 150CC clears last night. I think I'm gonna skip mirror mode and go straight to 200CC since I'm still familiar with the track layouts and don't want to have to unlearn them just to relearn them at 200CC.

For most of my time playing this I hated the bikes because of the way they drifted, but after learning how to break during a drift to get more of an angle, it really revolutionised the way I play. Another thing that helped immensely was learning that you can never get 2 coin consumables at the same time, so if you get a coin it's better to not use it and just get another item box where you're guaranteed to get an offensive item.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Got to Darm Tower in Ys I. As I understand I don't have much of the game left, Just a bunch of boss fights. I like Ys 1 a lot even if it's very short. The graphics in the Chronicles version are quite pretty.

At some point I played some SMT1 and now my chaos-aligned protagonist is in Ginza to kick some demon butt.
Arrietty
Smol like a frend.

Post by Arrietty »

I finished Golden Axe. Only managed to lose 4 continues. I had a lot of fun with the game as I got better at it. Jump + Attack is a very recommended move against persistent or big enemies. I managed to beat the final boss by mostly doing that, it also helps you to distance the skeletons a bit away from you with Jump + Attack so you can focus on the big bad himself. (Just be careful of taking a hit from him because he'll use an unavoidable spell that nearly wipes your life bars away.) Dwarf is my preferred character for sure.

I tried Ghouls n Ghosts and I got to Stage 2. The infinite continues and checkpoints never resetting in Practice Mode is encouraging but I'm unsure I want to continue with this game. Stage 2 introduces very annoying enemies that feel near impossible to dodge. (The damn bouncing huge turtle shells!!) and I kinda fear what annoyance the next levels will bring.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Played a bit of Final Fantasy V again today, replay. I'm at Galuf's World, heading to the Sealed Forest of Moore.
Taking a small detour in Bal Castle (Objet d'Art killing with Lv5 Death) to just get some levels in on my jobs.

So far Knight and Monk have been Mastered and Thief is at Lv5 of 7.
Mystic Knight is at Lv6 + White Mage, Black Mage, Time Mage, Summoner and Blue Mage at Lv3 for everyone, and lastly, Beastmaster at Lv2 for Faris.

I've also gotten Lv4 Graviga, Time Slip, Guard Off and Lilliputian Lyric, as well as Catoblepas.
I want to beat the optional bosses this time (Phoenix, Bahamut, Omega, Shinryu), at least.
Image Image
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I beat Final Fantasy Tactics.
So let's talk about it, shall we?
Problems list:
-Small height differences, even .5, causing skills to not work on characters right next to you.
-Positive based spells missing, including raise, a spell that brings someone back from KO. Which is problematic in a game where 3 turns worth of time passing == permadeath.
-Missions requiring you to keep an ally safe, and the ally runs in and dies stupidly.
-Guest characters constantly taking up a slot or two, causing you to not be able to bring in all 5 of your normal characters in story missions. (Though this is only a problem for the first few chapters.)
-Being unable to at all see what the field looks like, what enemies you will face, before blindly placing your characters down.
-The camera. Lemme just not be able to get a good view of things cause a tree is blocking stuff, or a house, or a mountain, etc. Even moving the camera around doesn't help a lot of the time.
-Many classes which have little to no use.
-Having to abuse specific abilities to have a chance in the latter part of the game, seriously stuff starts hitting real hard.
-Having item not be its own thing, unconnected to any class, fully unlocked. This would have saved me so much strife when I first started playing this a long time ago.
The story felt full of betrayal and silliness, and the translation was... unique. :P
Final score: 1.5/5

5/5: 6 (SNES), 9 (PS1)
4/5: 5 (GBA), X (PS2), X-2 (Steam), XII (Steam), FFTA (GBA)
3/5: 1 (GBA), 2 (GBA), MQ (SNES)
2/5: 7 (PS1), 8 (PS1)
1.5/5: FFT (PS1)
1/5: 3 (DS?), 4 (GBA)
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Arrietty
Smol like a frend.

Post by Arrietty »

Recently replayed Mega Man X2 but with a spin: Collect all Power Ups without revisiting a stage. So naturally, that would mean I'd have to get every power up on my first visit of a stage. Thankfully it was mostly painless after Wheel Gator's stage. Bubble Crab was a bit tricky too as the Sub Tank involved using his weapon... which you'd have to obviously revisit the stage in order to do that. Thankfully there was a way around that, it involved an exploit where you have to walk downward a slope and then jump, your jump will somehow glitch and cause you to go up higher. It's a bit tricky though because you need to do it right on the perfect spot to reach a wall to climb on. After that it's just a matter of splashing your jumps on the surface til you reach the Sub Tank. Still a fantastic game, but the X-Hunters are rather obnoxious to fight.

Right now I'm currently replaying Left 4 Dead for the first time in over 8 years with my friends. We found a hilarious server where the max players is 20 (we only managed to get 7 at most but a steady 6) where Tanks can literally fly via propane tanks tied to their ankles. Oh and the spawn rate of special infected were stupidly high. Smokers were incredibly obnoxious because of it.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I finished getting 3-star trophies at all CCs in MK8D.

At this point my remaining unlocks will be beating all the Nintendo ghost data in time trials and getting 10,000 coins.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

started replays of both knytt underground and mario odyssey because new games coming out that i really wanna play is a well that's currently dry, oops...

i have a steam backlog i'm continuing to ignore because at this point it's mostly stuff i'm not passionate about playing anyways
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
The Hero Hartmut

FFS. Upon reaching Victory Road, my first encounter there was yet another Boldore. Very next thing I encountered was a Fraxure. Guess this means my team is more or less set. Here's who I've got in rotation:

-Drudgery the Gigalith
-Plebian and Pedestrian the Scraftys (Scrafties?)
-Wearisome the Conkeldurr
-Dull the Chandelure
-Pallid the Jellicent
-Dry the Swanna
-Stale the Lilligant
-Flat the Stunfisk
-Tedious the Sawsbuck

Also Plodding the Golurk and Soporific the Volcarona, though they're boxed until the rest catch up level-wise. Any others I have (like Chore the Boldore and Bland the Tranquill) are utility Mons. Time to start grinding for the League...
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Made it to Oputa in Phantasy Star II, got Amy. After two dungeons (Shure and Nido), I'm kinda warming up to the game???

It requires a certain mental state for me though to get really into it, but dualwielding weapons to tear through small fry and having Rudolph helps quite a bit. Gonna be grinding to get new weapons and armor tho.
Image Image
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

FF Crystal Chronicles Defeated.png
FF Crystal Chronicles Defeated.png (272.43 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
Beat FF Crystal Chronicles, though I'm not exactly happy with how it all ended.
I ended up having to use a cheat to give me all artifacts, but that's due to the fact that if you emulate the game, post 5.0-???? the game freezes when answering mail post goblin wall, and pre that version the game saves under a different header, causing the save to become unloadable. So I had to stick to savestates, and I'm a bit of a moron and only had one savestate, so I basically got stuck post a point of no return. I could deal with the bosses attacks fine, but it did too much damage for me to be able to out damage it over a long period of time.

On my replay far in the future I'm gonna be a lot more thorough playing through the game, this one is on me. :P

5/5: 6 (SNES), 9 (PS1)
4/5: 5 (GBA), X (PS2), X-2 (Steam), XII (Steam), FFTA (GBA)
3.5/5: FFCC (GC)
3/5: 1 (GBA), 2 (GBA), MQ (SNES)
2/5: 7 (PS1), 8 (PS1)
1.5/5: FFT (PS1)
1/5: 3 (DS?), 4 (GBA)
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Made it past the Bio Research Lab in SaGa Frontier Biosystems Lab in Phantasy Star 2.

Got Hugh Thompson, dunno if I'm gonna use him yet, the walkthrough I'm following doesn't recommend him, but I'll do some research and experiment. I can get Anna Kirski and Josh Kain too, but eh.

Made it to Zema and Kueri and I'm gonna be heading to Roron after some grinding for equipment.

Edit: Made it to Youmu's penultimate spellcard in one continue in a casual run of Perfect Cherry Blossom Normal. I should have kept going and continued but h.
Image Image
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Beat Ys I.
I had a lot of fun until the final boss. That was just annoying. I Barely won and I don't even want to imagine that fight on higher difficulties (I was playing on Normal). I will play Ys 2 eventually but not right now.

I started a replay of Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door. The goal of this playthrough is to obtain every recipe, badge, and completely fill out the bestiary. Speaking of Paper Mario, I also restarted Paper Mario 64. I've been wanting to replay it and I never actually beat it so I thought 'sure'.