(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by YelseyKing »

I'm starting to wonder, reading this thread, if anyone else here still plays old console games, or if I'm the only one. :P

Started a replay of Xenogears yesterday, since it's been ages since I've last played it. Hopefully I'll understand the plot better this time, because I sure as hell didn't know *what* was going on half the time when I played the game as a teen. Especially on disc 2. Ehem.

Got lucky with that obnoxious rock-paper-scissors minigame early on. You have to win it five times in a row to get a unique item, and by complete luck, this only took me three attempts, with the first two being lost after the first match. So yay for that. The rest of the game should go by smoothly, with that mess out of the way. I hope.

I also picked up a copy of Jak and Daxter for PS2 for only a buck at a local thrift store, and played a little of it yesterday, but it seems to be damaged, and it keeps sticking...sticking...sticking...sticking...sticking...sticking... DISC READ ERROR oh never mind continue on-- during voiced sequences. Seemed interesting enough, though, that I might consider picking up a better copy sometimes, though. And hey, for only one dollar, it's not like I'm out anything.
Last edited by YelseyKing 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
kumuhmuh
local ice cream dealre
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by kumuhmuh »

now that robobot is out i know what i'll be playing for the rest of the week
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, I'm going to find the time to play that one after the work weekend's over with. I've barely had any Nintendo gaming here this year, and I'd like to change that.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

YelseyKing wrote:Xenogears
<3 <3 <3

I haven't played it in forever, but I did watch a long play of it a few years ago. Honestly, as a teenager I think for me complexity = good when it came to plot, but despite that I think Xenogears really holds up. Even disc 2, which is a product of budget shortfalls, ends up as something really beautiful.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

YelseyKing wrote:I'm starting to wonder, reading this thread, if anyone else here still plays old console games, or if I'm the only one. :P
Too busy with Overwatch and Dark Souls, and FINALLY FINISHING PERSONA Q... but my Backloggery is definitely calling me.
(Two freaking sidequests left and then the final boss. I can almost taste it.)
That and I want to relearn to 1CC Battletoads. Been too many years; doubt I could make it past Intruder Excluder without taking a continue. Also, no-warps since I never bothered before. Volkmire is going to be fun to memorize.
YelseyKing wrote: Started a replay of Xenogears yesterday, since it's been ages since I've last played it. Hopefully I'll understand the plot better this time, because I sure as hell didn't know *what* was going on half the time when I played the game as a teen. Especially on disc 2. Ehem.
Every time I remember disc 2, I think of FF8, and die a little inside.
YelseyKing wrote:Broken Jak and Daxter
Did you try washing it? Polishing? Toothpaste method? Vaseline, chap-stick, car wax?
Would probably be cheaper to get a new copy than use a disc cleaner or worse, have it resurfaced. J&D is dirt cheap these days assuming you're not looking for the first version (speedrun purposes), which is a bit trickier.
TheFinalSentinel

So I finally got to good ol' O&S. Been waiting for this moment.
I gotta say, I'm really not seeing what the big fuss is about. It's really not that bad, aside from fatso's charge attack. That one's complete bullshit and the pillars are made of goddamn soap.
Speaking of pillars, I had my little rant earlier about the camera. The pillars are annoying, yeah (though not nearly half as bad as a lot of the other areas in the game in that regard), but ironically, I feel like this fight is all about knowing where to point your camera which is not so bad. That and knowing where and when to run to catch a breather and get a hold back on the situation.

Me being me, I'm planning on taking Big McLargeHuge down first so I can get the (supposedly) tougher second phase, and get that Leo Ring I'll never wear. I say (supposedly) because Super Sonic is really kind of a pushover. A pushover with a decent health pool and some pretty strong attacks just begging for you to make a mistake.
Got him down to about a quarter left, but slipped up. Played too cautiously rather than trusting my dodges, let my buff wear off without much use, allowed too much time for mistakes to eat up my Estus. If I had played a bit more aggressively, gotten that extra damage in... well, it'd be a coin toss, but I'm confident. He won't escape me a third time.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

FE3 Book 2: At Chapter 14, but uggh, dragons.
FFVII: On disk two now. Even though I knew

Aerith/Aeris dies

, I still got all teary-eyed when it happened. It also didn't really help that my bro has this uncanny ability to interrupt whenever something serious is going down in a game I'm playing. Also, it seems if I want to experience the entire game, gotta do Chocobo breeding, but ahh, that seems like it consumes a lot of time.
Also the music that plays in the forgotten city is really rad
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

HatKid wrote:FFVII: On disk two now. Even though I knew

Aerith/Aeris dies

, I still got all teary-eyed when it happened. It also didn't really help that my bro has this uncanny ability to interrupt whenever something serious is going down in a game I'm playing. Also, it seems if I want to experience the entire game, gotta do Chocobo breeding, but ahh, that seems like it consumes a lot of time.
For me, the most annoying part of that whole ordeal is that, man, she's like, the best character in the game. Though I guess things would be far, far too easy if you could just throw Great Gospel around constantly. :P

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I miss those Square RPGs from the 90s. They were awesome.

Anyway, still on Mega Man Powered Up recording or at least getting to that point. Need to get through hard mode as a form of Mega Man to get the unlockable character, so yeah. Wish I knew that going in as I would've done that sooner! Oh well. I'm on the final stage now. That deal will be done by tonight, then it's a quick easy mode run, and finally, I can get ready to focus on the final part of this series after so long.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

In addition to Xenogears (and dear gods, the Nortune sewers are more annoying than I remembered), I've also been playing Ys 5, since it was translated some time ago. I've heard this one referred to as the black sheep of the series, possibly even moreso than 3. Apparently the Japanese absolutely hated it for some reason... not really sure why. It's pretty solid as action RPGs go, however, with nice graphics and excellent music. The hit detection is rather off, though; some attacks seem to hit if you're in range in even the slightest, which is annoying, but fortunately the game hasn't been hard enough yet for that to matter... though I'm not sure how far into the game I am yet, so...
Bean wrote:Anyway, still on Mega Man Powered Up recording or at least getting to that point. Need to get through hard mode as a form of Mega Man to get the unlockable character, so yeah. Wish I knew that going in as I would've done that sooner! Oh well. I'm on the final stage now. That deal will be done by tonight, then it's a quick easy mode run, and finally, I can get ready to focus on the final part of this series after so long.
I watched Roahm Mythril's Challenge Mode run a while back, and my gourds, the boss rush challenges look tedious as all hell. Especially the ones that involve the Wily bosses. Yellow... Devil... gurk.

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah. I'm glad I got through that part at the end of last year on the channel. It's on to bonus characters and the construction pieces now. I complained about the Yellow Devil and CWU-01P a bit near the end of editing those. Tedious as can be. Hoping to make enough progress the next couple of weeks that I can actually play this copy of Kirby: Planet Robobot that I bought for myself already!
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

YelseyKing wrote:...Nortune sewers...annoyin...
The worst part about them is that, plot-wise, I feel like they're a high-point of the early game, but that's totally overshadowed by how much of a grind they are.
TheVulpineHero1
Party hazard fiesta mix

Post by TheVulpineHero1 »

YelseyKing wrote:
HatKid wrote:FFVII: On disk two now. Even though I knew

Aerith/Aeris dies

For me, the most annoying part of that whole ordeal is that, man, she's like, the best character in the game. Though I guess things would be far, far too easy if you could just throw Great Gospel around constantly. :P
As far as best characters go, I think the order come endgame was Cloud, Aeris/th if she were still alive, then there's a big old gap before Barret, Cid and Yuffie come in from the wings. Fun fact: Vincent has almost the exact same stat growth as Cait Sith, except he has lower strength growth so he's literally just an inferior copy. If you could level up Young Cloud in the Nibelheim sequence, he'd also have Cait Sith's stat growth, so they made that one do a lot of duty.

A lot of this is based on the idea that once you start hitting damage cap, what you need isn't a limit break that does one powerful hit -- you need a limit that does a lot of semi-powerful hits, or in the case of Aeris/th, makes you invincible or gives two other characters limit. Cloud's Omnislash is by far and away the most damaging in regular play, Barret can potentially outdamage it with Ungarmax (while having a pretty good limit in Catastrophe if he doesn't, as well as being high statted and naturally long ranged), and then it's just a contest between Yuffie's Doom of the Living (15 attacks at 5/8th of her base attack) versus Cid's Highwind (18 attacks at 11/16ths of his base attack, but it charges slower than DotL).

Leading up the bottom of the table is Vincent, for having a limit break of with considerable strategic problems as well as again, being just literally statistically worse than another character who has questionably better limit breaks. Next is Cait Sith, who just has weird limit breaks that can randomly do super cool things if you know how to rig them, but otherwise isn't that useful. Next worst is a matter of opinion -- you have Tifa, who has a meagre 7 hit limit on all her cool karate gimmicks and can actually lose hits in execution, as well as requiring a huge period of time to charge her limit, or Red XIII, a character with a useful, well-rounded statsheet who happens to have crummy limit breaks once you start hitting the damage cap.

Tifa's just generally not that good at any point in the game, imho; her level 1 limits charge quick but are worse in damage than anybody else's starting level 1 limits, even when she uses both. At level 2, she potentially outdamages the other party members, but she has the highest charge time and can't aim her hits. At level 3, she's still chucking out a lot of damage, but she's now got a lot of competition and is in danger of flubbing her reels; Meteorain isn't far away from her total damage output, and doesn't require any slots. Ungarmax is also very close to her total damage, ditto Doom of the Living and Big Brawl. By the way, Tifa needs more damage to charge her level 3 limit break meter than any other character needs to charge their level 4. The only thing that takes more to charge is her level 4 limit, which does a lot of damage but is now very vulnerable to reels, very slow to charge, and has to compete with the big boys. She still does a lot of damage against single target boss enemies, but everybody else either does that (hello Omnislash) or has learned to do stuff like 8x their base attack against everything at once. And once you get into twink meta, 7 hits conditionally just isn't enough to keep her around.
Broken image, apparently
Broken image
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Telamon wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:...Nortune sewers...annoyin...
The worst part about them is that, plot-wise, I feel like they're a high-point of the early game, but that's totally overshadowed by how much of a grind they are.
Yeah, I've always liked the Kislev sequence in general, and I like the setting and plot of the sewer section. But it's just this convoluted maze (admittedly, you do get an in-game map, which is very nice), and it's full of annoying enemies that deal *way* too much damage, can poison and/or confuse you, and have gimmicks that make some of them more annoying than necessary to deal with (such as the sharks who can't be hit for a couple turns while they're in the water, except via Fei's weak Guided Shot spell, and the blobby fetus things that counter Deathblows), while also having to deal with a brand new character who has an atrocious hit rate and is likely missing a few Deathblows he could've had at his level. It's not really *hard*, so much as, yeah, it's just a slog. At least the boss fight at the end is pretty good, and the game picks up from there.

Moists:

raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

I've activated my first Pillar of Light in Bravely Default.

...which I took as the perfect excuse to start looking up anything and everything I could about the game. Dammit, me!
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Finally got to playing Omnibus. Good game. If anything, fun enough that I'm motivated to try to 100% it.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

saw pichu play crypt of the necrodancer in a stream a week or so back, and picked it up for 5 dollars in the gog sale.

Gotten to zone 2 now, pretty fun.
itsthewhinyguys
Your flair is displayed next to your posts, under your name.
First name: Your real name

Post by itsthewhinyguys »

For me, it's always some Pokemon game or another. Right now it's Platinum, where I'm standing in front of Shaymin, trying to save scum for a shiny. XD

On the side, I've been off-and-on playing this hybrid RPG/Cooking game called Adventure Bar Story. I found it rather addictive, and ended up beating it, including most of the postgame. The final secret boss, though... man, I can't beat that guy.

And of course, every once in a while I'll pop onto Animal Crossing: New Leaf, though I've kinda been neglecting as of late. :/
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 500 character limit.
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

Donkey Kong Country 2.

Zyg challenged me to run through it on Barralax Mode, so that's what I'm doing. Unfortunately, like has happened many times in the past with other games, my data was deleted following a change to my computer, in this case an upgrade to Windows 10 (from Windows XP), and afterwards my SNES emulator stopped working correctly. I've since solved that issue, and now I'm back to where I was (Bramble Scramble in the roller coaster world).

This might take a bit.

In other news, Terraria has caught my interest again (yay mechanics!), and I'm not sure if attempting Mega Man X3 instead of X2 right after the first one was a wise choice. But then, I'm not an expert on the megas. Any advice on that front?
TheFinalSentinel

metasomnia wrote:I'm not sure if attempting Mega Man X3 instead of X2 right after the first one was a wise choice. But then, I'm not an expert on the megas. Any advice on that front?
Unless you care about the deep, engaging story and lore of the Megaman games, it doesn't really matter.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Don't always hold the charge shot button down in X3. There's one semi-common enemy in particular that will react to that, and its attack will hurt a ton when it rebounds off the wall to hit you. Honestly, most bosses in X3 aren't that mobile. They run, jump, or fly from wall-to-wall with a couple of exceptions. It's easier when you learn patterns than X2, but they hit for so much in that game that it's not easy. X2 is the better game, but X3 is solid. There's my Mega Man opinions that people may or may not agree with!

Speaking of the Blue Bomber, Mega Man Powered Up. Finally have the time and energy to record getting the construction packs to make stages. One level down, seven to go. So close to the finish line at long last on this project.
Mayrio

Post by Mayrio »

I'd been getting into visual novels lately, I recently replayed Zero Escape: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors and Virtue's Last Reward for a refresher for the third ZE game which will release about a week from this post.

Aside from Zero Escape, I was also playing Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc which is incidentally made by the same people who made Zero Escape. While I technically already knew all the answers in that game since I watched the anime adaptation beforehand, it was still nice to give the game a try and to mess around in free time. Might try the sequel should I get the money for it.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Mayrio wrote:Aside from Zero Escape, I was also playing Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc which is incidentally made by the same people who made Zero Escape. While I technically already knew all the answers in that game since I watched the anime adaptation beforehand, it was still nice to give the game a try and to mess around in free time. Might try the sequel should I get the money for it.
I've been playing the sequel recently and I think it's a lot worse than the first game. The story is a lot weirder and far more unrealistic (especially some stuff in chapter 3), several of the characters are like parodies of the Danganronpa 1 characters, and two of the three cases I've finished so far actively try to throw you off who the culprit is with no real hints about this until you're already in the class trial.

That said though the gameplay mechanics themselves are at least improved for the most part.
Mayrio

Post by Mayrio »

That sounds... Really bad. However shitty games are my thing :P

I might watch an LP of it first to see what you mean though.
TheFinalSentinel

Augh, I still need to track down a decent priced copy of VLR before the third game comes out.
Really glad I finally got around to buying 999. Was fantastic.