(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bean
Yep.

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Bean »

I beat Mirror of Fate last night. That game's second act felt like it was setting up the final battle better than the third act did. The fact that I was able to take down the final boss in one try was another head-scratching moment. It definitely felt slapped together in that final bit, so while not a failure, it is currently the worst 3DS game I've played.
Window Squeegee
Hog with a Blog
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Window Squeegee »

Favorite castlevania character? Mine would have to be a tie between:

Soma
Alucard
Flying Medusa Heads
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

Window Squeegee wrote:Flying Medusa Heads
YOU MONSTER
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Fluffi-dono wrote:
YOU MONSTER
The colored variants I can tolerate: it's the grey ones that are the most annoying.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Did the following events in Romancing SaGa 2:
The one where you drop the Ice Seed into the volcano, the one where Noel takes over that desert town with the three towers, the one with the demonstone, the one with Garon and the one with the mermaid.

I also got Imperial Guards, woop woop~
I had to cheat to beat the Pyrohydra on the mermaid quest. It always attacks twice per round, one of its physical attacks deals 1000+ HP damage in a game where the HP cap is 999, and it has a high-damage party-wide fire attack.

I also have no multi-character healing spells and you have to equip an item to use it.

This game is batshit with its difficulty at times.
Medusa Head is mai waifu
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

KobaBeach wrote:
Medusa Head is mai waifu
EVEN WORSE

BTW I gonna torture myself with an extra Level 1 Hard Mode Shanoa Run.
Ishntknew

Post by Ishntknew »

Fluffi-dono wrote:Who is your favourite Castlevania character?

Mine's definetly Soma Cruz.
Julius is awesome. Man gets mad props for being the one to finally put down Dracula once and for all. (Okay, lots of other people were involved in that too.)
I'm a lizard's nightmare

Backloggery:
daypular
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

Hammer, from Aria of Sorrow.

Dude doesn't get enough love
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

metasomnia wrote:

Hammer, from Aria of Sorrow.

Dude doesn't get enough love
Indeed. There's dummied out dialogue in Dawn of Sorrow of a scene in which he'd join as a playable character during Julius mode (where he'd probably have acted as the otherwise missing Grant parallel)... and apparently one of the later games (though I forget which) *also* had unused assets suggesting he was intended to appear. What does Konami have against poor Hammer?!

Also, my favorite character would probably also be Soma. Or Alucard. Or, yeah, Hammer. I think Dawn of Sorrow overall was my favorite entry in the series. I loved the atmosphere, and as someone who actually *enjoys* collectathons, I loved gathering all the souls, as well as the many unique aspects they provided.

Unfortunately, I can't share the love for Shanoa or Order of Ecclesia as a whole... They finally include a female protagonist, then intentionally derail her by having her lose her emotions and memories right from the outset, making her about as pleasant and likeable as Squall from FF8. And I didn't care much for the game overall; the gameplay was fine, and I enjoyed the fact that it was actually *challenging* (something the rest of the "Metroidvania" parts of the series were... decidedly *not*), but the de-emphasis on exploration, which had been a huge part of the series since Symphony of the Night, turned me off. Some of the areas were literally straight lines!
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

Finally started playing Mother 3, Prepare To Cry And Laugh And Generally Be Weirded Out Edition.

Beware exploding trees, I'm coming for you.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ishntknew wrote:Man gets mad props for being the one to finally put down Dracula once and for all. (Okay, lots of other people were involved in that too.)
They really should make an actual game covering this.
YelseyKing wrote:Unfortunately, I can't share the love for Shanoa or Order of Ecclesia as a whole... They finally include a female protagonist, then intentionally derail her by having her lose her emotions and memories right from the outset, making her about as pleasant and likeable as Squall from FF8.
I don't think she's really that unlikable. She's not rude or broody or anything. She's just extremely serious and unemotional.
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer

Post by Euparkeria »

metasomnia wrote:Finally started playing Mother 3, Prepare To Cry And Laugh And Generally Be Weirded Out Edition.

Oh man, you're in for a ride. I hope you enjoy. Also, don't compare it to any other game and you will enjoy it more.
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

Euparkeria wrote:
metasomnia wrote:Finally started playing Mother 3, Prepare To Cry And Laugh And Generally Be Weirded Out Edition.

Oh man, you're in for a ride. I hope you enjoy. Also, don't compare it to any other game and you will enjoy it more.
I'm aware ;)

I've played it before, but I got distracted and then some things happened which resulted in my data getting erased.

It's just now I've finally managed to work up the courage to try it again.

I will say from the few chapters (4) I managed to play, that it's certainly unique and weird as hell, but ultimately one of my favorite games.

Thanks for the advice though!
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Mother 3 = love. Not even terrible-meme-ing.

All this Castlevania talk is really making me want to get into more of the series. I've beaten 1, 3, 4, Dracula XX whatever the SNES version is called, Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow, and I lost interest on Circle of the Moon because I left it alone for a month and couldn't figure out where to go anymore. Gonna start that one over sometime in the not so near future.

I really wanna check out Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night, and the DS games. But I don't want to emulate PS1 or DS and buying them is not in my priority. And I couldn't manage to emulate Turbo CD after hours of trying. I'll hunt down a copy of Bloodlines pretty soon.

Way sucked into Secret of Mana right now. Just made it to the desert town after the ship crashes. I never understood why this game got so much love, but now I can see its beauty: it's adventuring in its purest form. With some really lovely graphics and music to accompany it, and very satisfying magic and weapon systems. All this more than makes up for some of the messy controls and stuff. Too bad the translation is what it is though.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

agie777 wrote:I lost interest on Circle of the Moon because I left it alone for a month and couldn't figure out where to go anymore. Gonna start that one over sometime in the not so near future
It definitely isn't the best Castlevania but I personally enjoyed it despite consistently struggling with Dracula. Then it was actually my first Castlevania as well.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

agie777 wrote:I really wanna check out Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night, and the DS games. But I don't want to emulate PS1 or DS and buying them is not in my priority. And I couldn't manage to emulate Turbo CD after hours of trying.
The emulator I use for TurboGrafx-16 is Ootake.

It's a pretty good, commonly updated emulator. However, it can't load CDs directly, so you'll need something like Daemon Tools or to use a CD Drive.

A TGCD game also requires a CD card that it is compatible with, so you'll need a rom for that as well. I think Super CD-ROM2 works with Rondo, but I'm not sure, the last TGCD game I've played was Ys I & II.

Also,
Oh hey you're the guy on the comments section with the OoT/MM dog avatar

Nice Draco avatar!!!!
YelseyKing wrote:They finally include a female protagonist, then intentionally derail her by having her lose her emotions and memories right from the outset, making her about as pleasant and likeable as Squall from FF8.
Whatever
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

At some point in the development of FFX they decided that bosses would just stop paying attention to when they actually get turns.

I'll use haste on my entire party, and according to the turn counter on the side the boss won't have a turn for like, 5 turns, so I'll be dealing damage and suddenly he just gets a random turn in the middle of my turns and either heals himself for 9999 health (literally 9999) or does some dumb attack that confuses and curses my whole team so he can undo all the progress I've made in a battle within like 3 turns.

And using Aeons is pretty useless cause when you do an overdrive, all of your Aeons cap out damage at 9999 except for Bahamut and then the boss gets like 3 turns after you do it so chances are, the boss will just heal, undoing any damage you did with the overdrive, and he might health twice, meaning summoning the aeon was good for nothing other than giving him enough turns to heal himself up to more HP he had before you summoned.
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer

Post by Euparkeria »

I have been playing Mega Man 7, enjoyed it very much until I encountered Coward Man. I don't want to use his weakness, but if he still persists after all the other Robot Masters, I'm going to consider it. Imo he's the cheapest Robot Master I've ever encountered (Thus far played only the NES games through. I know there's worse.). I mean really, hiding, drastically hindering my mobility and nonsense invincibility all in one! What the ass.
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Euparkeria wrote:I have been playing Mega Man 7, enjoyed it very much until I encountered Coward Man. I don't want to use his weakness, but if he still persists after all the other Robot Masters, I'm going to consider it. Imo he's the cheapest Robot Master I've ever encountered (Thus far played only the NES games through. I know there's worse.). I mean really, hiding, drastically hindering my mobility and nonsense invincibility all in one! What the ass.
I only did Wily once without savestated... ugh, bad memories. (40 retries = 40 Boss Rush = 8x40 = 320 Robot Masters...)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Playing on my own save file in Mario Kart 8 today. I think I'll start up Chrono Trigger sometime this week as well since that was recommended to me on here.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

KobaBeach wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:They finally include a female protagonist, then intentionally derail her by having her lose her emotions and memories right from the outset, making her about as pleasant and likeable as Squall from FF8.
Whatever
Ahahahaha. You win, sir.

Moists:

Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Am I the only one who appreciates female protagonists being emotionless? It's way better than love stories... like in Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Fluffi-dono wrote:Am I the only one who appreciates female protagonists being emotionless? It's way better than love stories... like in Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World.
I'm not a huge fan of love stories (especially the standard gaming cliche of "female character = love interest, always"), but I still like characters, male or female, to have emotions and complex, well-defined personalities. I've never liked stone-cold, uber serious characters all too much. But, you know, personal preference and all. I'm not saying no one should like/dislike what I do or don't.

I think Shanoa started to grate on me when time after time, the villagers tried to get her to loosen up, to make her laugh, or something along those lines, and each time she would just coldly rebuke them. If this had just been her default personality, and she *did* start to warm up to people eventually, that would've been all right; I've seen many an aloof, loner hero who over the course of the game grows to care about people. But the fact is that the story writers specifically included an event that robbed her of the very essence of who she was, leaving her basically an empty shell of a character who didn't seem like she even had any *chance* of improving unless she defeated Dracula and magically *regained* her emotions and memories.

But you know, it's actually been years since I played OoE, so there's just as good a chance I'm mis-remembering some plot-relevant personality improvements, and just recalling what about her I didn't like. That's just the impression I got; like I said, the game didn't really "grab" me the way the first two DS games (and the three GBA games, and SotN) did, so I freely admit I may be mistaken, and don't mind being corrected if I am. I really could stand to give the game a second chance someday.

Moists:

Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Drat, ya found me. Nice Yukari/Patchy avatar you got there I can't see precisely what that hat's supposed to be. How are you playing Romancing Saga 2 (and how did you play the first one, if you did)? As far as I know there's no complete translation out there.

If you like classic rpg's you pretty much can't go wrong with Chrono Trigger. It's among the best of its kind. There are sooooo many on SNES that I have to try, before I can even get started with the ones on PS1 and Saturn.

Way immersed in Secret of Mana now, I can't put it down at all anymore. Just entered the bigger imperial village going under the extremely meaningful name of "Northtown"...sometimes I wish I could read Japanese. Hell who am I kidding I wish for that all the time.

We definitely need more strong female protagonists. Emotionless really doesn't help that cause, because it makes them flat rather than strong. Though I guess that's just equal opportunity because there are many emotionless male protagonists out there p: (let's not go down the feminist debate road please).

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

agie777 wrote:How are you playing Romancing Saga 2 (and how did you play the first one, if you did)? As far as I know there's no complete translation out there.
GameFAQs (RS3 has english and spanish translation patches btw your backloggery said that it had no translation)

Romancing SaGa also has a PS2 remake that got released in North America, you can play that.
I didn't because ??????

I'm thinking of playing it someday though, I heard that it improves on the SNES and WonderSwan Color originals in every way (it adds features from most of the other SaGa games and fixes some stuff from the original).

Romancing SaGa 2 is really difficult, though.

Also,
agie777 wrote:Nice Yukari/Patchy avatar you got there I can't see precisely what that hat's supposed to be.
EDUCATE YOURSELF
(my fave's actually Koishi btw, I only put a Patchouli hat because of a recent avatar fad and also because Rena is p. cool)
Image Image