(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

Dragon Quest 2 - At Hamlin, getting gold for gear. After getting all the equipment and the Princess I might grind an extra ~5 levels? This game is pretty bad so. I swear I like the other Dragon Quests.

The Legend of Heroes V - At Kantus. Actually had to grind a bit in the PC version, needed Rill (to trade for Gent) for equipment. Might have been for the best? It made the Phantom enemies a bit easier. The PSP version replaces the Camonos, which are little platypuses in the PC version, with the purple beaked baddies from LoH4 which feels bad to me. I really like Gagharv's selection of baddies so, I hate when MiCROViSiON's ports simplify it to be mostly LoH4 boys. Sorry, I'm a monster design enthusiast lol.

I also started Tenerezza's PC version a few days back and It's Rough. So far I did one fetch quest for Duma (5x Iron), and I'm gonna do another one (5x Silver) for the map of the second area, which is necessary to reach the first boss? I think? Quality aesthetics though, the graphics are kind of bad but they remind me a lot of Dreamcast games so. store-brand falcom is such a good flavor, still need to play the translated non-h ports of utawarerumono, those are really fucking good apparently
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Quietly getting more stars in the PS3 version of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. Gone from 175 to over 200 now in this last kick, and there are 230 overall to earn. I will never like that Billy Hatcher or Burning Rangers race though. Those levels are so tough to see what the turns are.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I got to Stage 8 in the Arcade Mode of Golden Axe (MegaDrive) and I died to Death Bringer because I didn't know his dumb skeletons had twice the health of DB himself. At least beat Beginner Mode. Wasn't ready for stages beyond Stage 6 either.

I guessed Stage 6 might be the end but the home versions added two more stages as a sort of Extra Stage (well more that they wanted to give people a reason to buy their port than anything, more stages = more good), so I was pretty burnt out and tired. This is why I usually look up the length of a game beforehand.

Alright game, but a bit clunky, and the hitboxes aren't too generous, which makes fighting on different y axes kind of annoying, especially when you're only off by like a few pixels horizontal wise. I do appreciate the sprite work, though the music is a bit muted, more atmospheric than anything. I honestly kind of prefer Altered Beast due to the y axis problem, and also, at least as Gilius? The blows don't feel as good.

-----------------------

Also today I got to I-No in the Easy Mode of Sol's Arcade mode in Guilty Gear XX #Reload and I'm gonna have to practice her battle a bit, namely her Megalomania patterns, at least get the timing for the fan spread's leap; slope and sinewave have some blind spots, just gotta look them up and get used to them.

Overall, extremely solid game, I'm not able to get too deep in its mechanics due to my lack of skill, but it feels good, the air dashing feels extremely good, comboing feels a bit easier than it should? I'll give MOM a shot to learn more combos, they're really fun to chain in this game. Need to learn Bursts and managing Tension. Also the AI can get really mean even on easy mode (I'm not very good at fighters) but it doesn't feel as cruel as say... SvC or older SNK fighters.

We don't talk about Super Turbo's international CPS2 version, nightmare...
Image Image
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

I finished the main game of Outer Wilds this past weekend. I'd been meaning to play this game for a while now, but since raocow is currently LPing it, I decided to prioritize it (to minimize the chances that I'll uncover a spoiler on the forums or on Discord). Hidden under the double spoilers are some of my endgame experiences.
Unlike raocow's breadth-first, scattershot approach to exploration, I took a depth-first approach, focusing on one location at a time until I had no more leads. I went to Attlerock first and then Brittle Hollow. On Brittle Hollow, I started with the Old Settlement, so I learned about the Vessel and what happened to it early on. From there, I proceeded to the inner planets, and then the outer planets, ending with Dark Bramble.

Towards the end of the game, the last two things I had to figure out were how to get to the Vessel and how to get inside of the Ash Twin Project. It turns out that the Scout is hugely indispensable to help you find these places. With the Vessel, the hexagonal console where you can draw patterns with the orb was a nice "aha" moment. Until that point, I hadn't seen anywhere you could input the coordinates to the Eye of the Universe, which I found around the midgame. After inputting the coordinates, it did nothing because I needed another warp core to replace the broken one that was floating around the interior. The only other place I remembered seeing warp cores was inside of the High Energy Lab, but they weren't joined together (the black and white hole warp cores were separated). Everything seemed to point to the Ash Twin Project, so I checked there next.

Speaking of the Ash Twin Project, something weird happened to me there:
By the time I opened the protective casing that was housing the advanced warp core, it was too late to do anything with it (the end of loop music started playing). After hearing the supernova go off, the warp core created a black hole. I was curious about that, so I flew into it. Nothing interesting seemed to happen, so the next loop I went through the motions again to retrieve the warp core a bit more quickly. However, I encountered my Self leaning against the wall! The dialogue said it was a consequence of me going through the black hole, and suggests that I should end the current loop by not going through the black hole again. However, I ignored that suggestion and proceeded to finish up the game. I never tried what the dialogue suggested, but I imagine that something bad would happen.
It took me about 25 hours to reach the ending, having gone through 61 loops. It was very satisfying to figure out all of the puzzles. I liked how dynamic and event-based things were, with the aspect of needing to be at a certain place at the right time. Definitely not as cryptic as La-Mulana, where I needed a bunch of external hints in order to beat it. The ending was gorgeous, surreal, and made me feel emotional. I'm sad that the game is over, and that I'll probably never play anything like it again (though there is still the DLC).
On a similar note, I started the Outer Wilds - Echoes of the Eye DLC earlier this week. What I did so far are inside the double spoilers.
I'm currently five loops in, spending each one investigating different parts of The Stranger. Just ended a session after going inside the Submerged Structure and finding the Sealed Vault that was depicted on the burned slide reels. I don't know how to break the seals on the vault yet, so it's back to exploring.

Also, after I installed the DLC and started it up, I got a warning that there are supposed to be "frights". I don't know what this means exactly (e.g., jump scares, or just general eerieness), but while I was exploring the River Lowlands, I was startled when a huge torrent of water came crashing down on me, making a sudden, really loud noise. Don't know if that was meant to be one of those frights, or if it's actually worse than that. Guess I'll find out.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Played Super Mario Bros. 2J (Famicom Disk System) with an infinite lives code and made it to 5-3. yooo
Image Image
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

time for my checkin

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Cruised through Jabu Jabu and snatched up 20 skulls, so now I'm ready to get the song of time a-(game crash) dammit, NSO doesn't write save to disk until the app is closed the "normal" way. Welp, back to two stones and three skulls.

Earthbound - Delivered a diamond to Topolla so now I'm... not actually sure what's supposed to be next? I think it's the Kidnapped Paula scenario but I don't remember with any certainty. If nothing else I'm presently in the Fourside Department Store. It might be time to bust out a guide.

Bravely Default - We're off to see the pervert, the wonderful pervert Yulyana
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Instead of sleeping, I played Dragon Quest V for like 4 hours and made it from the first visit to Fortuna all the way to Mostroferrato. Recruiting monsters is really fun, though I wish there was an easier way to do it more reliably instead of it being mostly RNG, maybe I should pick up my Joker 2 copy again.

It's still funny that people spread a rumor that picking Nera would kill off Bianca in the western emulation scene (before the DS version's release). And people legit fell for it. I'm still picking Bianca. Debora maybe, for the memes/kinks. Nera is a bit too... Plain, not explored enough, sadly. Although...

Him.. I want to kiss him.

I'm also at 8-1 in Super Mario Bros. 2J but I was incredibly tired from it yesterday that i started playing worse.

---------------------------------------------

I also made it to MARIO MUSICAL in Rakugaki Mario and Velocity Valves in SMWCentral Production 2. Already had to use savestates in the normal exit of MM in Raks, because it was too hard to get a feel for the gimmick in that stage, while SMWCP2's first world isn't bad honestly? A bit plain, maybe, but I'm having fun.

I'm not expecting SMWCP2 to be groundbreaking outside of maybe SNES hardware tricks because I know about some of the bosses (and the bosses themselves iirc aren't very good), just "okay". Raks, I'm expecting to be very... "Weird", as VIP-likes are wont to be, and it's been very fun so far. I did try a bit of the custom final boss before the release and I'm not doing it savestateless, I think it's harder than most VIP endbosses. EXTRA/Mario LD levels of jank.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

At Chapter 7: Blitz Marriage, in Lunar: The Strolling School (Sanposuru Gakuen). The game feels very hollow so far, dungeons have been getting serviceable for the Game Gear, the battle system is alright, the translation patch is pretty good, and there's the classic Lunar sense of humor. But the way you progress in the story feels a bit sloppy? Either I'm sticking too close to ritchie's bland guide, or the plot progression feels a bit opaque. I'm gonna continue because it's a short game, but I'm not feeling it.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 because why not? Shame the power cord disconnected as I turned the thing on apparently and wiped every save game file I had on the PS4 from before that. OOPS. My poor 100% Mighty No. 9 file. BW
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I'm free from Pokemon Red for the year yay
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Did the Bio-Systems Lab and Roron in Phantasy Star II and visited Kueri and Piata, heading to Uzo next. Gonna grind Shir's levels to 10 for the Visiphone before Climatrol, also have to include a grind session for Amy in there somewhere, to around Lv15, so she's not too disadvantaged for the Dam and Dezolis arcs of the game (I wanna use a Rolf/Rudo/Anna/Amy party). Gotta figure out how best to distribute the magic items.
raekuul wrote: 1 year ago I'm free from Pokemon Red for the year yay
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Did Uzo, Climatrol and Control Tower in Phantasy Star II. All a pain, but Climatrol manages to be more entertaining, by having meat to its bones despite the amount of pointless chutes sending you to dead ends with equipment for Nei, that you've probably bought as the game went along,

and since she's gonna die when you're done with this dungeon

Control Tower is literally just. 69 chutes. On the floor. Figure it out. It is one of the nadirs of Phantasy Star II's dungeon design, which isn't very good in the first place. Here is the map:
Uzo is...

Well. The Other Nadir.
Anyway I got the four keycards, and I've saved with the Visiphone at the Red Dam. Current levels, I think: Rolf 16, Rudolf 15, Anna 15, Amy 14.

There's also Another Nadir, in the form of Ikuto which... Is basically a falling in pits puzzle.

Also, just past Vinquette Hall in Sword of Mana. Mostly focusing on Warrior, Monk and Sage for stat distribution. Count Lee was kind of weird. I can't tell if it was hitbox issues or not but, sometimes I went to hit him and i got damaged, like? Contact damage? Which isn't really a thing in Mana, and he wasn't doing his fancy kick. Either way, the Jackal and VampireBat!Lee are really cute. I want to hug them.

They could have used a better title for the butler than... Ebony Butler? That sounds kind of dicey, like yes his skin is pitch black from being undead, but do you have to mention it like that? The script is also pretty good aside from that, the story is very basic, having some plot structure changes from Final Fantasy Adventure, but still being heavily contrived, so they went all out with the script. Gonna start the Marsh Cave, might meet the Mystery Man again.

Oh man, I bet he's totally not Julius.

EDIT: raocow spoileys warning
Played up to Mystic Ruins in Chapter 2 of Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood Sonic Chronic and the Funky Bunch while listening to Power of Magic by Alphatown (Eurobeat song) and WOW this game is ridiculously boring.

I would really like to know what possessed Bioware to make every battle run on either A) dice rolls or B) Osu!™ controlled dice rolls. I get that it's like, WRPG standard due to them being birthed from DND and video games inspired by DND. But this is ridiculous. Not even Unlimited Saga does this, Unlimited Saga literally gives you like a negligible amount of control.

This is like, "Uh Oh Fucker better be good at shitty Osu!™ or Tails' healing skill won't work at all". Somecallmejohnny™ mentioned putting the "no Osu!™ bullshit on POW moves" chao on Cream and yeah, that's basically how you're meant to play this game like a normal person. Speaking of which, I love the Chao equipping mechanic, little bit of sanity in an otherwise garbage game.

Like, my WRPG experience is Ultima 1 and Fallout 1 but. Fallout 1 does not do failed attacks as much as this and it's a CRPG from 1997. Also the self repair shit with the Swatbots feels just as bad as the last time I've seen an RPG enemy do that, which was every boss encounter in Breath of Fire 1-3, haven't played 4 or 5 yet. And it felt just as bad in those games.

But yeah like I literally cannot do the dragging Osu!™ because it constantly appears at random points in the screen and the speed feels so unnatural, it's actually hard to slow down your movements enough to pull it off. Also, I just want to state that Osu!™ bullshit is literally as bad as the garbage 5 minute timed hits per attack in YIIK™. It drags out battles for no reason, and it fucks with my hand.

If you want a special attack boost method, FF8 did it so much better by just having you mash square while holding select during the 50 hour long animation, MOTHER 3 has the tapping buttons to the beat of the song gimmick (which barely works on most emulators). It feels like they wanted to make turn based battles "not boring" and they wound up making a convoluted way of making normal attacks be cruise control for victory, yet again, as usual.
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Might and Magic 6: Playing with a Quest Item Shuffle mod so now the Goblinwatch Key is over in the Silver Helm Outpost and the Hourglass of Time is over in Twillen's Stash and... yeah, I really need to reconsider my early game routing. Except not because the only early game dungeon that's item-gated is Goblinwatch so really I just need to be aware of my quest items. Also I got the Chime of Harmony before getting the Goblinwatch Codes so that's a quest item I can't turn in yet.

Bravely Default: World 4 is done, I just need to go into the Pillar of Light. Meanwhile I finally found the Ghost Ship and got my Pirate asterisk so now Edea can be slightly less ineffective with her basic attacks. I will probably clear out the Central Command asterisks though since I skipped the Anchorite of Thunder my first time through and I don't actually remember where he's hiding and I'm actually going to benefit from the JP rewards for a change.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Played Star Ocean: Blue Sphere for two hours and got past Leviabor Ruins and the first part of Gravis Forest. Leviabor Ruins felt really fucking weird, it was legit better to just control Leon and turret everyone with Ice Needle, which... Props to this game, made the spell casters useful unlike Second Story (I did control Rena like twice to just spam healing as Claude, Ashton and Precis wrecked the shit out of the bosses in SO2).

Gravis Forest was honestly pretty boring, you had to maneuver through narrow tree branches while being careful to not jump off by accident. You had to follow stag beetles to make it to the resistance hideout, I mostly just ran away from them to excise them from the map. Apparently after this I have to do more of that so. Woo.
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Started my Pokemon Crystal randomizer run. I'm using the same rules I used for my Pokemon Red run (catch first unique evolution line encountered per area, no buying healing items) and since evolution lines are randomized I get "reimbursements" - if I catch something that it turns out I already had a related evolution of I have the option to release-and-reset for the associated location (if I catch a Golbat on Route 30 but Bellsprout eventually evolves into Golbat, I'll be refunded Route 30)
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Almost cleared the Trial Dungeon in Torneko's Great Adventure: The Mystery Dungeon, sadly the Jewel Box didn't spawn in.

Not gonna make this one a priority since it's kind of a run game, but. Really fun though.

Also the Nightmare of Druaga reviews back in 2004. I hate gamers
Image Image
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

I've been playing/streaming Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep on Twitch; been pretty fun so far! It's the only game in the series I haven't played, so it's been taking some getting used to, but I've been enjoying it. Got to Terra's final boss but had to grind a bit since he was kinda kicking my ass, and after that I'm gonna be starting Ventus' story!

Terra is also the most gullible person alive and I just realized that his story is literally Star Wars' Anakin/Palpatine dynamic
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Shantae: Man I wish I could play more DMG/CGB games on the switch. I can actually see everything without having to play in Handheld mode (I am notoriously myopic in more than one sense of the word and the current waiting list for an optometrist appointment is apparently five months long)

Pokemon Crystal Randomizer: already half of my team is weak to ice. it's a good thing I'm playing without permadeath, otherwise I would have eaten a TPK at Rival 1.

Might and Magic VI QI Shuffle: Slowly chewing through the Ironfist Temple of Baa

Super Metroid: Spore Spawn awaits.

The Legend of Zelda ~ A Link to the Past: going through vanilla in Number Order (up to Swamp Palace); the overworld design more or less correctly shepherds you into Number Order, it's just they messed up exactly one location and made Village of Outcasts accessible just with the Hammer+Power Glove.

Earthbound: Time to go deck Monotoli in the schnoz. I guess Moonside happens after this? It's been a long-ass time since I got even this deep into Earthbound. I guess I could go watch CC again but at that point I'm not playing the game any more.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Had my fill of Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 and got just about every goal done outside of stuff that would be a grind or require online play for. No thanks. Back to editing Mega Man III DOS vids now!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

hello

Made it to Chapter 3 in Sonic Chronicles, but sadly,

the Giant Scorpion bosses

killed me, gonna grind a bit to gain a few levels in POW moves. I accidentally picked Reload. Savescummed to get four Feroxes. So boring, I couldn't even bother to use my tablet to do the QTEs properly, a lot about this game is just so... Inconvenient.

Also started my Machoke%/Aniki%/114514% playthrough of Pokémon Red. 14 hours in, fastforwarded, I'm at ye ol' Cinnabar Island, heading to the Pokémon Mansion and my party is a Lv68 Machoke (so close...) and a bunch of HM slaves (Oddish, Spearow, Squirtle, Machop, Pikachu, in HM number order). Wanted to do this solo run for a while and it's pretty effective in at least Red. Red is the least well balanced one though.

Machoke gains levels very quickly, I've only had to grind once in preparation for Brock, caught them at Lv2 in Route 1 (cheat). As for ghost types, I just stuck Dig on them courtesy of the Cerulean City theft victim. I thought about Earthquake, but it feels like Dig is handier and also I had it on my PC when I was in Lavender Town. Sabrina also goes down easily due to how easy it is to overlevel in this game, similar to Arc The Lad 1, I was roughly Lv65.

I expect myself to massively outlevel the Elite 4 at this point. Will still stock up on support items, PP in Pokémon is annoying.
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

are you only allowed one hm per hm slave? farfetch'd can learn both cut and fly, and squirtle can learn both surf and strength
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raekuul wrote: 1 year ago are you only allowed one hm per hm slave? farfetch'd can learn both cut and fly, and squirtle can learn both surf and strength
no i just did that because i felt like it
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Bravely Default: I got to World 3 and Ringabel finally remembered who he is and whence he came. Currently rocking Time Mage/White Mage Tiz, Spell Fencer/Ninja Agnes, Templar/Spiritmaster Ringabel, and Vampire/Freelancer Edea (I like the Vamp/Free combo, it lets me throw around four Energy Blasts for only five BP thanks to Mimic, and every restorative special restores two BP so it's basically a free nuke when Tiz's level 1 special comes up)

Ocarina of Time: I saved and save-stated six times during Jabu Jabu, I think that qualifies as paranoid (SRAM isn't flushed to disk until the NSO app closes but save states are written when they're made??? really???)

Pokemon Crystal Rando Litelocke: About to start Union Cave. Why are Smeargles so hard to catch? That's two areas I've had to eat a Route KO for because Smeargle has a low catch rate. One of these days I'll get an Item Randomizer up and running so that I can actually play this game out of order; for now it's just randomized encounters/trainers/consumables.

Shantae: Risky's Revenge: Oh neat there's a widescreen mode OH NO NOT STRETCH
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Today I found I still had 25€ on my Switch account for some ungodly reason (transaction mix up??) so I bought Dragon Quest 1&3 and Guilty Gear XX Accent Core whatever. I could add like 5 bucks to add in the few extra cents I need to buy DQ2, but I'm staying this way for now because I don't really... like DQ2.

Dragon Quest - I like grinding as much as possible and money is a good excuse as any so I grinded for Tantegel/Brecconary's armor and I'm almost done with Galenholm. Next is Kol and I'm gonna try to reach Rimuldar and wander around with the power of keys.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land - Super cleared the majority of Natural Plains, I just don't want to do a damageless run of Gorimondo. I feel like it says a lot that I was expecting the worst kind of bonus objectives for Waddle Dees, but I constantly did most of them by accident.

EDIT: Dragon Quest - Lyre of Ire get, Staff of Rain get, Sunstone get. Gonna grind for the final two armors in Rimuldar (already got the Iron Armor and Steel Broadsword), give the Green Dragon a fair shake to hopefully get Gwaelin's Love, then make my way over to the cave south of Galenholm for the Proof of Erdrick or whatever, get the Rainbow Drop, the Erdrick's Armor (the Axe Knight is such a pain) in Damdara (I like the name Hauksness better), and screw about in Cantlin.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

(the dq edit on the last post was at morning to me btw)

Pokémon X - Beat Viola. She was surprisingly hard but I was also a bit underleveled despite making an effort to level everyone a bit. My party so far is Chespin (Nerd), Pidgey (Smelly), Bunnelby (Spaghetti) plus Bidoof (Dungus) for any HM slave needs. I got the new EXP Share now, so levelling should be much easier.

Bravely Default - Beat up Barras, Holly and Ominas and stole their money. I feel I'm a bit underleveled so I'm gonna level up EXP and Jobs a bit before tackling Heinkel. The encounter rate slider makes this game tbh.
Image Image