(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Crow »

Catabo wrote: 2 years ago But what struck me the most about it is how small it all feels compared to when I was a kid and the levels felt boundlessly huge. On the contrary, they're actually mostly pretty tight and avoid being sprawling for the sake of it.
spyro 1 genuinely has the best level design in the series and i won't hear any word to the contrary
especially since a lot of the levels in 2 feel really flat/linear and a lot of the levels in 3 feel like hubs for minigame rooms that occasionally have a few platforming ideas but the spyro 1 levels would be almost nothing but bangers either way

aside from still doing more kh2 rando like every few days i started ratchet & clank all 4 one. it's very mediocre! woo!
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

raekuul wrote: 2 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 2 years agoFour Job Fiesta 4x Combo
I'm a little late to the party and a lot unfamiliar with FF5, why do you lose your Blue Mage?
So, the way Four Job Fiesta works is that you are assigned four jobs in the Job System by the friendly Gregbot Gilgabot. When you are assigned these jobs (which you do at each Crystal location: Wind Shrine/after Walse Tower/after Karnak Castle/after Ronkan Ruins), you have to stick with them, no matter what. This goes against FFV's basic gameplay mechanic of allowing you to switch between jobs as you please, but has the benefit of limiting choice paralysis (for those who easily get overwhelmed by the number of jobs in the game) and creates new challenges (for those who play the game frequently).

There are a couple rule modifiers that can adjust job assignments. The one I used, Fifth Job, swaps your fourth/Earth Crystal job after the events of Great Forest of Moore, when Galuf sacrifices himself against Exdeath and Krile takes his place. In accordance with the rules of Fiesta, when you swap this job, you can no longer use the original fourth job, nor any of its abilities. Since my fourth job was Blue Mage, it got swapped out for Summoner. So for the rest of the game, I can't use Blue Mage or Blue Magic. Does that make sense?

In any event: Last night, we got one run done, and I couldn't believe what it was. Progress Report:
  • You know, midway through this Cursed Fiesta, my feeling was the best Bet's team was going to get was third place. Thief really brought down the team early on, and I bought a job from the Job Fair after I rolled it again. Blue Mage was potent, as was Ranger, but the Fifth Job modifier meant the possibility of someone even worse. Yet here we are: Team Bet is the first Cursed Fiesta run to finish. The combination of a fast grind on whatever they needed, a fast dash, a short late game, and Summoner (a very powerful job late-game) as the fifth job, meant they caught up from behind and won. This was despite some fuck-ups, including but not limited to selling Magic Lamp accidentally (which meant I had to fight the rear part of Neo Exdeath legit). Regardless, what I once thought the Cursed team made it out in one piece and won ahead of everyone else. TIME OF COMPLETION: 74:28:55 NUMBER OF SWAPS: 1644 FINAL LEVEL: 42
  • Team Gimel is close to the end. They are in the Void (the final section of the Rift/Cleft), and they just defeated Necrophobe. However, I realized that the team is capable of taking on Shinryuu, and I didn't just want the only team to defeat at least superboss to be a Quickleak team. So right now they are heading to Shinryuu to face him. (For context: White Mage can Berserk on Shinryuu, then Blink on the team to protect against his attacks). This team actually benefits from getting Ragnarok, since Gladiator can equip it. They're still in second, but whether they finish second is dependent on how many attempts on Shinryuu they need. Current Level: 38
  • Team Alef has finished their (short) level grind, and as such have entered the Rift/Cleft. The use of Smoke means they're quickly gunning through most of Rift/Cleft, and depending on whether or not Gimel's successful with Shinryuu, they could easily surpass them. They have the benefit of skipping Greg at Castle Exdeath, and thus don't have to deal with his cutscenes in the Void. Current Level: 38
  • Team Dalet is still level grinding. They have about 1-2 levels left before they're in the safe zone. It's possible they won't enter the Rift/Cleft until both Alef and Gimel are finished. But if one of those teams are still going, I will go all the way to Necrophobe, THEN do the Quickleaks. Current Level: 42
I don't know if I'll do a session today, or any until Friday. Feeling really tired and out of it today.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Ah, that makes sense.

My only experience with Quicken(?) is in the Tactics subseries where it makes the target Take Turn Now. I'm assuming that Quickleak involves time manipulation and some sort of drain/bleed/poison effect?

EDIT: looked up a video. Okay yeah, that's... equal parts awesome and broken.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

I am continuing the fool's errand of trying to find enough koroks in Breath of the Wild to get all inventory upgrades. I'm almost at 400; 440 of the 900 are required. If you can't find a korok in an area, it means you didn't look hard enough. After a while you start to figure out what kind of areas koroks are hidden in, but this only helps so much as a few have unique puzzles.

One thing that took me off guard was how many koroks are in and around Hyrule Castle; apparently a hellscape forsaken by god is a fantastic place for a game of hide and seek. There's a surprising number of koroks around the final boss area, including one

at the very top of the steeple of Hyrule Castle, it requires a ton of stamina upgrades and a good grasp of the climbing mechanics to get to.

I need a place to put down some thoughts on one specific part of the setting that's been making me think, so I'm doing it here. Rito society appears to have very strict gender roles, with men being warriors and women handling artistic endeavors. As a bard, Kass would be considered very gender non-conforming. How does this effect is status in society? He's married, with children, so clearly not that much. (Although he does have a lot of kids, maybe he's compensating?) Has he taken an oath to perform feminine roles in society? Is that actually a war accordion that he plays, and he leads his brothers in battle with hymns of glory thus filling the role of a warrior? How does this affect his relation with his wife? Am I overthinking the funny bird people?
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

raekuul wrote: 2 years ago Ah, that makes sense.

My only experience with Quicken(?) is in the Tactics subseries where it makes the target Take Turn Now. I'm assuming that Quickleak involves time manipulation and some sort of drain/bleed/poison effect?

EDIT: looked up a video. Okay yeah, that's... equal parts awesome and broken.
Yes! The sad thing is, Quickleak does not work on the Steam/mobile version. Whether it works on the Pixel Remaster remains to be seen. They removed some of the quirks of FF1 in the Pixel Remaster, so I'm not entirely optimistic.

Anyway, I was able to recover a bit in the evening, and I did another session, which ended with two more teams finishing their runs!
  • Team Gimel, the workhorse, finished in second a little over two hours after the conclusion of Team Bet's winning run. They got Shinryu on their first try (Shinryu did not land a single hit). Neo Exdeath...something bizarre really happened there: The script for Grand Cross kept breaking, so it kept resetting. I somehow managed to avoid getting hit with a single Grand Cross in the entire fight. A compelling way to end that battle. (That said, had to walk all the way out AGAIN to refill the Magic Lamp. And in doing so accidentally ran into Omega, causing a wipe.) FINAL RESULTS: Run Time 19:35:53, Run Swaps 425, Final Level 38
  • Team Alef finished in third a little under an hour after Gimel's team. While they were a little better equipped to handle most problems, they still wiped to Catastrophe, but mainly because I underestimated Catastrophe. (Note to self: If it hits you with Earth Shaker, HEAL.) Managed to steal Murakumo quickly, which helped a lot (Quicksave battle RNG manipulation certainly helped with that). Zeninage, even at under 40, paid dividends in terms of making Neo Exdeath easier. Still, intentionally wiped to (Tree) Exdeath because I forgot to complete my setup for him in terms of abilities. Regardless, it was a little hairy at points, but it paid off. FINAL RESULTS: Run Time 19:40:16, Run Swaps 434, Final Level 38
  • Team Dalet is the last remaining team in the running. They finally got to their proper levels just as their part of the session began, and went straight to the Rift/Cleft, putting them in the middle of the two-hour gap between Team Bet and Team Gimel's victories. Most of the Rift/Cleft has been okay, especially given the high levels. That said, they did wipe to Twintania because DOUBLEZERKER kept causing it to counter with Tidal Wave. They almost wiped again to Twintania because Mug didn't proc initially and Banish was evaded twice. They're now in the Void, where they're fast approaching Necrophobe. When he's defeated, I'll have to Teleport the team out of the Rift/Cleft to get two Poison Rods for Omega and Shinryu. Current Level: 43
Because Omega and Shinryu take ~2 hours each on Quickleak, I'll likely set up the fights to occur during my workday, then I'll finish the game at the end of this week.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

Cyril wrote: 2 years agospyro 1 genuinely has the best level design in the series and i won't hear any word to the contrary
especially since a lot of the levels in 2 feel really flat/linear and a lot of the levels in 3 feel like hubs for minigame rooms that occasionally have a few platforming ideas but the spyro 1 levels would be almost nothing but bangers either way
Realistically, I'm eventually going to replay the whole trilogy, but Spyro 1 by far was the one that stuck in my head the most. Spyro 2 is a weird blur, and Spyro 3... oh boy. The minigame bloat (incl animal friends segments) is what I remember most. It probably still wasn't as bad of a case as Crash 3?

Shout-out to Simon Copeland's composition, too. The soundtrack is so full of neat little main motifs that are re-used in so many ways that I never could have appreciated in the past.
Kleetus wrote: 2 years agoBreath of the Wild
Ah yes, the game that I still haven't beat because I keep finding shrines and other little things on my way to find all the memories. At this point, it's my permanent rainy-day game (literally, because I unplug the computer and play the Switch on portable mode during storms).
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

After 82+ in-game hours, and 1707 swaps...
The C̴̟͚͚͍͓̹̻̟̊́̅͑̊̈́͂͑̓̔̚ͅu̵̢̧̡͚̜̖̯̼̩̥̬͌̃̈́̂̀̒̓̈́̀͂̕͝r̸̡̤̘͕̫͖͍̯͍̟͈͉̍̌̈̋̓̆́͝͝s̵̨̯͇̗͔̳̪̝̆̂̄̎̍̏͗̃͜e̸̛̖͓̟̙̺̝̪̖̲̰͆͗͐̉̀̃́̆͆͛̏̈́͂d̶̙̗̜̥̻̳̭̻̹̤͚̯̹͈͕̓ Four Shuffler Fiesta is over! :monstrosity:

Team Dalet, as promised, completed a Triple Crown via Quickleak, which I did last night. Setting that up wasn't as much a struggle as trying to get the Genji Armor for DOUBLEZERKER. It took me 4 tries to actually cause Greg to finally appear so I can steal the Genji Armor, because I kept damaging Necrophobe too much and killing him (You can skip Greg's cutscene by hitting Necrophobe for more than 10k HP at the right moment, which is very easy to do with a Time Mage team and Quick.) It got a little hairy with Neo Exdeath, given that Almagest put my mages in the double digits. But once they survived that, it was no big deal.

In sum...Cursed Fiesta was an interesting experience. I used a time range that was probably much lower than I should have put down (90 seconds to 4 minutes...in comparison, A_Raving_Loon is using 4-6 minutes), but it still made for a compelling dynamic of switching around, and it was bit faster paced, at least in terms of how it felt. The teams were fun, especially given this was my first year with Ninja on any team. That Team Bet, which I deemed cursed (for good reason...that World 1 start was atrocious), ended up being the first to complete their run was rather surprising, and kind of justified sort of doing this in the first place. It was fun in a unique way. Still, will I do it again next year? Probably not. I'll probably go back to multi-fiestas.

Moving on...not sure what to do next. I kind of want to move to my next project of playing through all the classic Metroids, as well as the remakes of Metroid 2, before Metroid Dread. But I also don't want to jump into that right away, since that is a daunting task. Might just spend the week not really playing games, and if I do, it's something like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 or going back into Bully.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

As expected, Blaster Master Zero 3 is pretty fun. I do think it's a bit weaker than BMZ2 so far, but it's still got some fun fights. It's just a lot more gimmicky with this whole dimension shift thing. Reminds me of the weaker parts of Metroid Prime 2 in that regard.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

nobody ever told me i could get into the undernet as early as Day 2 in Mega Man Battle Network 1 (I'm playing an english translation of Operation: Shooting Star but I confirmed on their discord that yes that's supposed to be possible anyway)
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

I have been sucked back into the zen void of messing around in Forge mode in Halo, never quite making anything complete but still feeling like my time is well spent arranging things into vague structures. send help
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Kleetus

Post by Kleetus »

I've collected the required 441 korok seeds in Breath of the Wild and I never want to look at the korok mask again in my life. I also completed all the side quests (except Trial of the Sword).
After that I started the Champions Ballad DLC pack, the new shrines are a lot of fun and have great gimmicks, a lot of thought went into them. The only problem is that some of the early ones can be a bit long which can make the problematic because

you can only take one hit in them.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said of the Illusory Realm sections.
Part of the fun of boss fights in BotW is bringing in a lot of weapons and going ham. The boss refights require you to fight the bosses with minimal resources "The dev approved way" with absolutely no margin of error on Master Mode.
The sections are so bad I might just quit, maybe pick up my old Normal Mode file later.
Crow

Post by Crow »

working thru the great ace attorney chronicles, on the last case of the first game
none of this is new to me and i have vague recollections of a lot of stuff in this one but i'm on the verge of the second game where i have basically no knowledge and i'm excited about that
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Trails in the Sky FC - Installed the Steam version because eh. Made it up to Milch Main Road Monster and heading to Mayor Klaus' house. The Pine Plant's self destruct will forever get me.

Romancing SaGa 2 - Steam again. I died at the Goblin King battle. fuck mandrakes i swear to shit i forgot how terrible they are

Super SIG World 13 - Made it to Bowser's Empire #2, beat Dry Dry Desert (World 6), Fork Island #2, Bowser's Empile #1 and Empire Secret 1&2. One of the stages in Dry Dry Desert had Ko-Nu isntead of Ko-Su in its name (basically Courze 4 instead of Course 4, maybe Dry Dry Dessert #4), I guess it's because it's more trolly?

Super OTL Mario - Beat Hangin' in the Forest, Goin' Down, Goin' Up, The Goal's Just Up There? and Iggy's Abode. Goal punched me in my soul. If Mountin' in the Back (it might be an internet shorthand for "jealous" (urayamashii), basically "jelly" (urayama = mountain behind village, house), sorry) is any indication, they might have been extra stages? I'm not sure what are the brutal stages its talking about but. Started Unite Your Powers! and oh my god a wave of refreshing water just came through me..... The good hake. I'm not saying Youtube Kaizo is bad just holy shit I'm terrible at it. I prefer Hyper/S Mario style Kaizo.

EDIT: Beat Unite Your Powers! (good stage if with awkward level design), U-Turn! (alright stage, I ended up breaking it for the secret exit because zzzz redoing it all) and Mystery Substance X (???). Trying to do Transport It! Transport It! but it's tough ^^;
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I'm close to finishing Skyward Sword. The game's alright, though I've heard the switch version fixes a couple of the problems the original had. There's a lot of things I like about this game and also a lot that I don't like and it's always way easier to write about the things I don't like. I'll save most of my thoughts for when I finally beat it, but yeah, it's fine. I should probably have played with joycons but mine drift and I don't feel like paying full price for more (or getting them fixed) so the stick controls leave a little to be desired. Thus, anything with combat leaves me going ehhh (I usually just end up shooting stuff with my bow) but wandering around Skyloft is so cool and I like a lot of the exploration.

Also I don't like Fi. I don't know if she's supposed to be a robot or some weird spirit thing but she brings absolutely nothing to the table. A character you talk to will be like "Go here and you'll find X" and she'll be like "I suspect if we go here we'll find x" IMMEDIATELY after. Every time I've gotten a little stuck and asked her for help she has given me no help. When she sings she looks stupid and I don't know what I'm supposed to think when she runs on the walls and spins around in circles. Also, she was an awful character to play in Hyrule Warriors. I wouldn't say I hate her but I can't think of anything I like about her.

E: I beat it. My opinion is that it's an alright but not super great game and on the lower end of Zelda games if I was ranking them
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Playing Powerstar Golf from the Xbox One on the Xbox Series X since my bro got one of those. It's pretty fun. It's a 2013 game that reminds me of the older Hot Shots and Mario Golf titles with some harder shots and greens.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Been chugging through SMT3: Nocturne, PS2 version. I'm at the Diet Building, so I'm almost done with the game! I elected to ignore the Labyrinth of Amala and therefore Dante and True Demon Ending because it takes a lot longer to go through all of that and this playthrough has already been quite a while in the making so I kinda just wanna be done lol. With that said, I'm having a ton of fun with it and would definitely consider a replay in the future, whether that's in the Remaster or in the PS2 version idk. It's quite different from SMT1 and 2, but that's not really a bad thing. After I finish Nocturne, going to resume my SMT4 playthrough I barely started. I'd love to play NINE someday, but unless there's a more complete story translation and it actually emulates well it's not likely that I would.

At the final dungeon in Persona Q2 and I'm glad it's not nearly as long as Q1's final dungeon. That was long. Hoping the final boss doesn't have a stupid gimmick like Q1's final boss does.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Played through and beat Mad Rat Dead, now going through every stage in hard mode trying to get S+ ranks. I'm pretty upset to hear that this game got barely any marketing outside of Japan because it's such a wonderfully unique game that more people should play. The music, visual design and characters are all super charming, and it's really fun if pretty tough to get accustomed to.

Also currently playing The Messenger. I don't know if it's a spoiler that

it's secretly a Metroidvania

? But yeah I'm decently past the point where it transitions.
I wasn't sure how to feel about the shift initially cause to me part of the appeal of a Metroidvania is to explore and discover various places, and I figured it'd be a little hard to achieve that when the world is comprised of levels you've already played. But the time switching mechanic is really cool and it does open up the world in an interesting way, not to mention that it's pretty remarkable how they were able to make the levels traversable both ways without bringing too much attention to it in the early portion of the game. Plus I'm already finding some brand new areas which is always nice. The mechanics like refreshing your jump midair, the grappling hook and others complement each other really well leading to very flowing gameplay. The writing's funny too though a bit on the nose sometimes.
Also fired up Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, got up to Chapter 2. I was expecting Pokémon lite, but other than some similarities between the combat systems and the whole monster capturing aspect, they're not all that comparable. That said it is a pretty relaxing time, and acquiring all of my favorite mons has been great.

Lastly I spent an afternoon playing my bootleg copy of Sonic Genesis wherein I'd never gotten past Labyrinth Zone due to the insufferable slowdown. But as it turns out my copy, presumably because it's unlicensed, runs substantially slower than the real thing and I'd always assumed it was running like it's supposed to. So I promptly gave up on that and beat it on RetroArch instead. Still a pretty painful experience though
Kleetus

Post by Kleetus »

Took a break from Breath of the Wild to finish up Shadowrun: Dragonfall. At the last stretch of the game I decided to side with villain, all the other characters said "Do not do it." and I did, and I'm pretty sure the ending I got is supposed to be the bad ending. The story of Hackerman the elf decker ends with him

killing his friends, being complacent in a genocide, and inadvertently causing the end of the world

. On the flip side there is a special prompt in the ending that occurs if you still have the "cheap booze" item on you.

I'll go back and get the other endings. I think most of them are just dependent on making certain choices in a late game dialogue tree. Then I might post more about the game's overall story.

Overall the story is a lot darker than Dead Man's Switch and enjoys making the player uncomfortable, but it's also a lot sillier at points and tells some good natured jokes. The writers know not to make the pit of despair too deep.

Sometimes, in these games, I feel conflicted during the dialogue trees. I want to give normal people sounding answers to avoid something bad happening, but some of the "odd" options are so tempting. I feel that save scumming to try and get the ideal outcome is a bit against the spirit of the game though.

As for something gameplay related, Eiger and her sniper rifle are the best thing, you really feel like you're getting away with something when you sit her down at the far end of a courtyard or hallway and pick off enemies from way outside their range.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Nast wrote: 2 years ago I don't know if it's a spoiler that
That bit is a spoiler indeed. Keep it under your sugegasa.

So I decided to start playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2. It's weird to just go back to all of that after not touching the originals in decades. It's definitely a lot to play, though I feel some weird perfectionist tendencies showing up? I dunno. For what it's worth, I feel I have to control myself when it comes to trying to complete score tasks when I'm definitely not used to playing the game. (Also doesn't help that I played the originals on PSX, and I'm currently using a WiiU Pro Controller...I feel like I have to play with completely new controls) Currently playing as Steve Caballero because he's the most balanced of skaters, and he has a nice hat.

I was feeling a little lost though about what to do next. Not quite ready to dive into the Metroid project. Thankfully, the Indie World Showcase last week solved that problem by announcing Axiom Verge 2's release that day. I bought it that evening. Didn't start playing until today. It's a lot different, especially because they switched out guns for melee, and there's a skill points system in place. More the Castlevania side of the Metroidvanias. It started to drag a little (because enemies hit hard and your starting weapons have issues) up until I got the power to

hack my enemies

, and then it got really fun. I'll keep you posted on that.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Meanwhile I'm over here playing Mega Man Star Force DX, a mod that backports a lot of later QoL and adds some new ones of its own.
Kleetus

Post by Kleetus »

So I was planning on going back to Breath of the Wild, but my wii u is no longer reading off of the external drive that I but my save file on. (This isn't a case of the machine not recognizing the drive, it just doesn't open files on it anymore.) So that sucks. I put a lot of work into that save.
Crow

Post by Crow »

working through the great ace attorney 2 and iiiii think i might need a break. either that or just. the second trial of the second case was a MESS, nothing but incredibly flimsy conjecture from the prosecution and an established unreliable witness that i'm supposed to take seriously, meanwhile huge logical leaps are taken like three times while characters have to act out of character to allow these logical leaps to even be pursued and it just did not feel remotely satisfying at all

this is noting that i had figured out much of the case during the second investigation phase too (including the ultimate resolution, though some details in between were fuzzy) so like i knew where it was going and even then the twists and jumps made no sense. it was weirdly bad for a game that's otherwise been pretty good so far

anyways i have neo twewy too so i might stop TGAA2 for a bit to pick that up, i am lawyered out
11clock

Post by 11clock »

I forgot to update my review on Metroid Prime on here after having finished it with the PrimeHack mod. There is a critique that I felt was worth bringing up.

While I found the majority of Metroid Prime fantastic as I stated in earlier posts, one area in particular almost soiled my enjoyment of the game. This area is Phazon Mines. Incredibly annoying and overly tanky enemies, a linear route that you need to backtrack out of a minimum of 2 times to get required upgrades, and some really painful rooms to navigate. I was going to critique the boss of the area as well for being overly long and repetitive, but then I found that Super Missiles deal an absurd amount of damage to it and was able to finish the fight quickly.

I also don’t recommend getting 100% in Metroid Prime. The map does not mark consumables at all, unlike the mainline games, which makes collecting the last few items a chore. By around 90% completion I ended up just using an online walkthrough to find what I was missing.

Final score for the game is A. One of my favorite Metroid games and a faithful adaptation to 3D, but it stumbles at the finish line with one of the worst areas to navigate in the series and a slog to complete.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I finished Shin Megami Tensei III. It was a lot of fun and quite different from its two numbered predecessors (I want to play NINE, but game's not cheap these days, I don't have a modified Xbox to play it, and it doesn't emulate well). I would definitely consider replaying it in the future. I got the Freedom ending, which is pretty much SMT3's version of Neutral. I didn't exactly feel like doing all the extra stuff to get True Demon Ending, though having Dante in my party would've been kinda funny. Next is SMT4, I know Strange Journey is mainline, but I'm not mentally prepared to continue Strange Journey just yet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Replaying Final Fantasy I (Dawn of Souls), heading to Sage Sarda.

Playing Vay, in English and at Marlock or whatever, got the first four orbs in the span of three days. Just not in the mood to play games in Japanese. Some of the new dialogue (roughly 75% of the English script is made up) helps add some liveliness to the base game but the rest is like the terribad, cringy kind of punch up or just flat out offensive. For instance, one of the enemies is literally named

Retard

otaur, when in Japanese they're just Minotaur.

Now there is some coherency with the original dialogue but even mandatory dialogue is drastically changed. So I don't know what WD stans are saying with "only side dialogue is changed/has jokes" wrt their localizations when 1) you can't avoid side dialogue if you want to play an RPG without being glued to a guide, 2) most of their games have bad jokes in the mandatory dialogue broski. Either way, I've spotted two Ren & Stimpy jokes in this already lol

Also started Mega Man Battle Network and man this game is. When its normal gameplay, using chips, sometimes using the buster, etc, it's okay. When its asking you to do complex movements, or mash the buster button, or deal with moving targets, or targets that try to avoid you it just falls apart. I've upgraded MegaMan.EXE a bit, HP at 180, +1 to Rapid for mashing, hopefully it'll be easier from now on. FireMan.EXE was fun but NumberMan.EXE was just super annoying, especially his dungeon. Brute-forcing two digit numeric passwords isn't fun or a puzzle. It's just stupid, there is no fail state other than the number changing. I heard BN 1 and 4 are the worst ones though (especially 4), so who knows.
HatKid wrote: 2 years ago I want to play NINE, but game's not cheap these days, I don't have a modified Xbox to play it, and it doesn't emulate well.
It's apparently playable on Xemu with minor issues according to the compatibility page but like, the game is also garbage (not that it doesn't merit a play I'm just warning you)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*