smw centralmario fan games galaxypge project

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: What games are you playing?

Postby thatguyif » 1 month ago

Found out to my dismay after clearing Mr. House's ending that Fallout: New Vegas suffers the same issue from Fallout 3 before the Broken Steel add-on that the game flat-out ends after the final quest. My hope was to make Lonesome Road the ending of my playthrough of this game, since it really sounds like a conclusion to the entire saga, with one final score to settle. Now that's thrown out the window. Sigh.

I guess at this point my plan is to play out Caesar's and NCR's routes next. Then, either I'll go into Lonesome Road after NCR is done, or go through the remainder of Yes Man's route up to the final quest and then do it. If I play every night for the remainder of the week, I might be done next weekend.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Ashan
The world has become a place

Postby Ashan » 1 month ago

Still playing Mario Odyssey, been having more fun the last couple sessions. I find if I throw on a podcast to split my focus a bit, I spend less time stressing about all the stuff I'm missing

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him

Postby KobaBeach » 1 month ago

Started Suikoden 1 on the Genso Suikoden 1&2 collection, just so I can have Suik on the go.

Spending yesterday and today trying to get back where I was, as of this writing I'm at the Elf Village and of the towns I've been to I still have to recruit Gaspar, Meg and Antonio. Trying out Lorelai and she's like unironically good? Pahn is at the early 20s and he might get to 30 long before

Milich and Teo

, also been trying to explore runes and finally found out what the "Holy Rune" (Divine Transportation Rune) does. oof

Fire Rune is best

thatguyif

Postby thatguyif » 1 month ago

Finished Lonesome Road. I lament that this wasn't an epilogue DLC, because it would've worked so well as such. A final story to fully understand not just what happened in the previous DLCs, but to define you, the Courier, and who you are, and representing the final message you deliver. While Ulysses' voice got grating at times, and he was often vague about what was going on, he was still a very interesting character. I felt compelled to understand why he was after me all these years, and what sins I supposedly committed. Gameplay-wise, I had few complaints, other than maybe the new big weapons (the Red Glare and the Shoulder-Mounted Machine Gun) aren't all that useful, and this DLC seemed very particularly linear (though I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing). Overall, probably the best of the four DLCs.

That said, the real great thing about Lonesome Road was ED-E. He was so adorable! You really wanted to help him out.

So sad he never made it home

:cry:

I was almost foiled from finishing this DLC because my sound card suddenly decided to run all games on surround sound mode, and I don't know why.

Alas, tomorrow we finish Fallout: New Vegas.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Postby KobaBeach » 1 month ago

Made it to Shasarazade. Just have Sonya left to recruit in Suikoden. Game's addicting.

HatKid
Pronouns: she/her

Postby HatKid » 1 month ago

Finished Ys SEVEN! i'm glad the game got better because the first half was so boring. Overall I liked it decently, but there were some things that annoyed me. The biggest one is the bosses. Even on Normal they felt like they had way too much HP for how much damage you do. Sometimes it wasn't a big deal, but most of the time bosses felt tedious. Also, I totally died inside when I saw how much HP the

Root of All Existence(TM) part that Adol fights

, but luckily it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I liked the music.

... And after SEVEN, I journey through a game of much lesser quality, Assassin's Creed Unity. I played a small chunk of it a few years ago, but now I'm back with a vengeance to rush through the game as fast as possible so I can say I played it and uninstall it from my poor computer, freeing up 50GB of space. The biggest problem I've encountered other than some silly, typical bugs, are the extremely unresponsive controls. Sometimes I really have to press the dang buttons multiple times before Arno decides to do anything. It's not my controller. Playing Unity kinda just makes me wanna go back and finish ACII because I still haven't despite getting near the end.

thatguyif

Postby thatguyif » 4 weeks ago

Finally, it is done. 163 hours later, I'm finished with Fallout New Vegas. And in keeping with the spirit of the game, it crashed during the credits.

I loved this game, despite its many flaws. It's a far superior game to Fallout 3 in many ways. In particular, rather than making a janky case of faux-patriotism (which was deeply embedded in FO3 for somewhat obvious reasons, and from what I understand is prominent in FO4 to some extent) and cliched cinematic storytelling, the narrative actually puts a more realistic lens on the post-apocalyptic world and puts you in the midst of long-simmering tensions rather than being a hero. It's not stuck-up about morality the way Bethesda's main writer Emil Pagliarulo (someone please #MeToo that shithead so he can be thrown to the curb with Avellone) is. There's no clean good ending, as you're bound to piss off somebody for siding with one faction on another or how you get to that point. Characters from and references to FO1 and FO2 felt less strung in than Harold was, and they were given respect. Exploration felt rewarding for the vast majority of the game as opposed to only a minority in FO3. Places felt connected to sidequests and the main quests more often than not. Fighting was cool, especially when you had fun weapons to play with. The climax to the game, the Second Battle of Hoover Dam, was wonderful to play on all 4 paths. All the dialogue checks were fun too.

Main beefs:
  • Game is buggy as hell. The main issue being loading/saving. I'd suffer so many crashes on load I'd sometimes just quit for the night because I was tired of restarting the game (and early on, restarting my computer before I figured out how to access Task Manager in that state). But there were other issues as well, such as mods not really working (this game has a light number of mods just because I couldn't get graphics mods to work and such). I understand Obsidian had to put this out for the 2010 holiday season, but still...
  • Early game was kind of sluggish, in part because you're so weak, but also because there weren't a lot of weapons to really use. It only picks up when you have both a human and non-human companion, which helps mitigate most attacks against you.
  • I didn't really invest much time in any of the crafting elements because it was too broad and complicated. But it also didn't really matter once you moved into mid-late game, because by that point you have enough supplies to handle most issues.
  • Up until

you confront Benny

, you basically have to play nice with the NCR to have an okay time, which means a good third to half of the game. The Legion only has a couple areas they actually control, and you get into the Strip just when you hit that spoiler point. It would've been nice to have more depth to the other factions pre-spoiler. (Also, I didn't know/like that the game gives you a rep reset button after the spoiler point.)
  • The weapon mods are incredibly expensive, and it's not really until you get to late-game, and arguably completing Dead Money, that you can afford them or purchase special-grade weapons.
  • The Legion feels incredibly stubbed. You can't actually explore Legion territory outside the two edge villages they control (the Fort doesn't count), so you can't really see for yourself what they are outside of what others tell you. It makes siding with them harder to justify.
Still, I loved this game. That said, I don't see myself returning to this game. I played a shit ton out of it, and I got what I wanted from it. Outside of

saving Cass in the main game and sparing Dean Domino in Dead Money,

there's little I would do different in a second playthrough, save maybe focusing on a more melee/unarmed/explosives build to start (since those I essentially ignored). Hardcore Mode sounds way too much a pain in my ass to play. Getting mods working would be great, but I just don't have the patience for such cosmetic things.

Not sure what I'll do next. Probably go back to Starlink to just run through the main game and finish it. Or I might just muck around with the demos I've piled up. I will say that I won't play such a big game for a while, maybe until next year. Probably GTA IV would be next in this regard, or Hyrule Warriors (I know that game's like, what, 300+ hours to complete?).
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Postby KobaBeach » 4 weeks ago

Beat Suikoden. Terrific game, definitely on my top 10! The

Golden Hydra

final boss felt very sudden, but that's because I was expecting a longer play session earlier this morning, still lasted like two hours. Didn't have too much trouble with it since I polished my weapons and brought a lot of healing items. The sequel is even better so I'm hype.

Continuing a playthrough of FFI PSX. It's just the GBA version with the Vancian Magic which makes it the definitive version in my eyes. Can't grind as easily on the peninsula of power (my monk Max (まっくす, yeah hiragana suck my whole ass) kept eating shit). Party is Warrior/Monk/White Mage/Red Mage (Takeru/Max/Viktor/Andrei). Made it to Melmond and taking a break on my PC before continuing.

thatguyif wrote: Emil Pagliarulo (someone please #MeToo that shithead so he can be thrown to the curb with Avellone)
im down with complaining about bethesda's terrible writing (at least listening, still have to play post-oblivion stuff to experience the assness) but i'd rather not wish the role of a sex pest on someone. that kind of undermines the struggle people go through when sexually harassed

not mad just be careful with your words

fuck avellone and his salty /v/irgin rpg codex asskissers though yolo

raekuul
D&C 134:2
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby raekuul » 4 weeks ago

Taking a quick break from Disgaea DS to play through Ocarina of Time 3D again. Man this is gonna be weird without sound cues to rely on.
Obviously raocow should play (insert obscure game that never got translated and that maybe ten people have played).
And now to reveal my rejected names: Darth Vader's Tough Savannah Mansion in Canada's Chapter

thatguyif

Postby thatguyif » 4 weeks ago

KobaBeach wrote: im down with complaining about bethesda's terrible writing (at least listening, still have to play post-oblivion stuff to experience the assness) but i'd rather not wish the role of a sex pest on someone. that kind of undermines the struggle people go through when sexually harassed

not mad just be careful with your words

fuck avellone and his salty /v/irgin rpg codex asskissers though yolo
I mean, how else do you get rid of someone like Pagliarulo these days? A careerist whose fuck-ups in writing are tolerated because he's in a somewhat insulated position? Seems someone with that much power only falls when they do something that particularly egregious/offensive/criminal. (And honestly, I feel like #MeToo itself has kind of undermined the struggle for victims of sexual harassment and sexual assault while at the same time enforcing the social status quo here. But that's another matter.)

And for what it's worth, Bethesda has plenty of awful folks. This guy I know started working for their TES Online studio last year, and I know him as being racist (of a certain kind).
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

NastCF

Postby NastCF » 3 weeks ago

Heyyyy I finished God of War II, it only took me over half a month to finish a 10-hour game, what of it

The last third of it really took a turn for the obnoxious, but otherwise it's a fairly decent game, definitely gorgeous and super well-polished for a PS2 title. Compared to the first game it's basically more of that, with some quality of life improvements and some added mini-games that aren't all that fun. If I had to pick one out of the two, I'd probably have to say I prefer the first, though it's been like a year since I last played it. This one's enjoyable moment-to-moment but those last levels really brought the whole thing down for me. I like how it ended on a cliffhanger but I don't own a PS3 so I guess I'll never see the finale lol

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Postby Alice » 3 weeks ago

NastCF wrote: I like how it ended on a cliffhanger but I don't own a PS3 so I guess I'll never see the finale lol
This is exactly why I didn't care for the ending, lol. I've never had any chance to play the third game.

raekuul

Postby raekuul » 3 weeks ago

Completed up through Ice Cavern in Ocarina of Time 3D. It's too bad OoT3D sealed the Bottom of the Well properly until you played the Song of Storms, that was one of the few skips I had learned how to do.
Obviously raocow should play (insert obscure game that never got translated and that maybe ten people have played).
And now to reveal my rejected names: Darth Vader's Tough Savannah Mansion in Canada's Chapter

Alice

I got reminded that Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night now has a randomizer mode so I decided to give it a try. It's actually pretty fun (mostly because I got the best mobility shard, High Jump, early on as well as some really decent mid to late-game equipment) but there's one really dumb issue. For whatever reason the devs decided that you cannot load a randomizer game from the load game menu. You can only do it through the extras menu where you'd expect to only go to start a new game in one of these extra modes. And if you attempt to load a randomizer game through the load game menu, it's just greyed out and gives literally zero info on why you can't load it. This combined with the game randomly crashing at one point had me searching for like a half hour on why I couldn't load my save worried it might be corrupted.

Saves are clearly marked according to their game mode so why can't you just load your game from the freaking load game menu? That's where people are going to be expecting to load it from in the first freaking place.
Also the option that shuffles warp rooms and save rooms together was definitely worth it, if only for this screenshot, lol.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Postby KobaBeach » 3 weeks ago

I woke up at 4 AM, expecting it to be 5 AM (I didn't know the clock wasn't set ahead) and when I realized it wasn't I went through The Divine Terminus, Void Termina and Extra Planet δ in a state of half-asleep. I died a lot but I also had like 126 lives

Kirby Star Allies is a pretty decent game, despite people calling it unfinished. The main issue is that, like Triple Deluxe before it, its main gimmicks are just fanservice (Dream Friends) or setpieces (Friend Abilties) rather than powerups that can be iterated and expanded on as they go along, like the Robobot Armor. Closest to that is the elemental affinity Friend Abilities and even they those are mostly attack bonuses apart from some small puzzle elements. 3.5/5, let it pass.

Also binged a bit of Mario Maker 2's story mode. 27 jobs done and I'm at Begone, Rotten Mushroom for the standard ones. Started work on West and East Wing 2F, still haven't started Main Hall 3F. >tfw chief toadette is union busting capitalist scum, worst character development

I'm also at Mount Gulg in Final Fantasy I PSX. Trying to beat Marilith is tough, but I'm digging the challenge. It still feels less fun when its on a handheld though, haha. Used to them being easier.

Bean

Postby Bean » 3 weeks ago

My problem with Star Allies is that it really toned down the exploration in levels for the main game. Like in Return to Dream Land, Triple Deluxe, and Planet Robobot, there were three hidden items per stage and some of them required work. Star Allies just left it at one usually, and it was mostly easy to find. It was a solid game, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with it.

Thinking about starting up Ys VI, but the only version I have is the PSP one. We'll see.

raekuul

Breached Ganon's Tower in Ocarina of Time 3D. This has been a nice break from RPG after RPG, but I really need to get this unit sent off for repairs. If nothing else, I miss having open-air sound.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Got to the credits Super Mario Maker 2's story mode (still have to finish the rest of the jobs, only did 75)! Really good sort of tech demo of what you can do with the engine, and pretty good level design as well. I found it kind of better than Odyssey, honestly.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Blitzed through the latter half of Super Mario Odyssey. Didn't get all unique moons just yet though!

thatguyif

Postby thatguyif » 3 weeks ago

Played a demo of a game in development called Zordak. Very Super Metroid not only in play style but but aesthetics. My main beef with it is that it kind of imposes small puzzles to move forward, which I find a little grating. Hopefully, that's something that's not too common with the finished game.

Did a co-op run of Untitled Goose Game yesterday with a friend. It was a lot of fun just going back into that and muck around. We finished the game

, we'll probably play the post-game next weekend

If I have time tonight, I'll play the Trials of Mana demo. But tomorrow, I settled on starting Outer Wilds. That won't be as long a game to play, I feel.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Bean

Postby Bean » 3 weeks ago

Instead of Ys VI, I gave Crash Bandicoot 4 a spin. It plays well so far, but the levels themselves have way too much bloat that it's making getting 100% on them kind of nuts. Always thought the Crash games were better with the less is more approach, but this one has a ton of stuff to find or break in every level and is like all those collectathon platformers of the late 90s and early 2000s where it's just too much.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

At the Kitchen in Super Mario Galaxy. Did four of the Beach Bowl stars, did one of Ghostly, now focusing on the main three of Ghostly before proceeding. At 32 stars.

EDIT: 34 now, Cosmic Honeyhive and Very Spooky Sprint.

I don't mind the Prankster Comets like some people, I dig optional challenge modes that aren't absurd, but I'm really minding the lack of proper camera control due to a lack of second stick thanks to the Wiimote being necessary, and the waggle (specifically the shaking) making my stimming get in the way of the game, which is lowkey a bit of a really bad oversight by Nintendo because it makes playing the game uncomfortable because I'm suppressing my stimming.

The imprecise motion controls are also an issue at times, Sling Pod Galaxy was awful for it. Rolling Green was also annoying, but the short length made up for it. Loopdeeloop was an absurd concept due to it being perfectly manageable with the Nunchuck, as Nitro Rad, I believe, mentioned in his review, but I could manage it a bit better than with a stick.

Meanwhile, not exactly motion controls themselves, but the fact you were relying on them for the entirety of A Very Spooky Sprint along with the giant bouncy meat (oh my) and floating space mines getting in the way, and the fact you lost lives to restart at the race's starting point when you didn't make it, made the mission feel very bad too.

It felt terrible when I lost VSS because I was stimming real bad due to losing control of my nerves and anxiety when me and the Boo (who is very adorable by the way, cute helmet) were both nearing the end and I just kept spinning by accident because blaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh. Got it the time after though.

Maybe I'm spoiled by Mario Odyssey's 10 coin reduction at death but I've had to restart from savefile a few times because I only had 1 life remaining (which means 2 lives, I was on my second to last, 0 counts).

Alice

Replaying Danganronpa again. I was going to see if you could max out all relationships (and thus get all skills and skill point increases) on a single playthrough. Turns out that's actually impossible. You only get three free time opportunities before the first three are killed off and you need eight free times to max those three out altogether.

Planning on replaying Ultra Despair Girls after I finish it. I'm going to attempt to get all the stickers or whatever the optional collectables were this time around. When I first played it I didn't know how well hidden they could be until I finished the first stage and didn't feel like replaying it so I didn't really try on the other stages either.

I'll most likely replay DR2 after that, though I think I'll pass on DRV3. It has better gameplay than the first two but it has a lot more unlikable characters and the entirety of the first chapter left a really sour taste in my mouth for me. They present an actually good protagonist only to take that away from you at the last moment and put you in control of a character who's even more boring and generic than Makoto or Hajime ever were, which is saying a lot since both of them are pretty freaking boring and generic. Felt like a huge "fuck you!" towards the players who had been clamoring for a better protagonist. (Also not a huge fan of how

it's apparently completely unconnected from the first two games and presents them as in-universe fiction.

)

Enjl

Postby Enjl » 3 weeks ago

I played Ageless recently, and partway through it really crystallized itself as a game to play in a screenshare while laughing at the cheese potential, dialogue, and funky parallax effect. There's this one review about it that goes "Ageless is a passable but uninspired platformer, that copies aspects from the best, only forgetting to copy the polished and fun gameplay," and while that's certainly the case, I think a good trouppe of friends and a specific sense of humour where the dialogue noises become an injoke can make the experience something special.

Currently I'm playing Dota 2's Diretide Gamemode every day. Halloween will never end (until December 22nd I guess).

raekuul

I've started Might and Magic Merge up again (a mod for Might and Magic 8 that includes the storylines of 6 and 7 via time travel shenanigans), playing through as a Dark Elf. Currently unhappy with the reputation system - MM6 has far more extreme swings in reputation than the later games, so starting on the Enroth quests means you essentially have to finish the Enroth quests before you can do much of anything else.

I've also - against my better judgment - started Final Fantasy Tactics A2 up again. I just have a mental block against playing through Disgaea for some reason (Disgaea DS is currently at the start of Chapter 4).

Return to “the cartridgé”