(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bean
Yep.

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Bean »

Fall Guys might just have one of the most annoying trophies I've ever tried for in that Infallible one. Gets frustrating to get three or four wins in a row only to blow things on one of the easier or favorite mini-games.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Finished Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers yesterday. It's interesting how exploitable the final boss is, particularly if you're fighting the physical oriented version.

If you defeat Apsu as Naomi then Manitou uses lots of physical attacks. Which means that if you use Tetrakarn and/or lots of demons that repel physical attacks (which there's a lot of) it becomes impossible to lose against the guy

. I had a great time with the game except for a few dungeons that took quite a while, even with the encounter-negating Estoma. It's pretty short too, it took me about 20 hours to beat the game, but I didn't do any side content (if there is any? Idk) nor did I 100% the compendiums nor attempt Corridor of Time (yet.)

And started Ys: Oath in Felghana (GOG version) after I beat Soul Hackers. The character sprites look a little funny to me. Thankfully they looked much better in Origin. I beat the first boss and I totally didn't ignore the save pedestal right outside the boss room. My thinking was "It's just a storeroom why would I save? That must be for that other tunnel." Thankfully, you can retry boss fights unlike in I&II where you have to load a save.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

The combat in Kingdom Hearts 2 is so much better than the combat in KH1, even accounting for some of the boss battles devolving into "Press To Win." I spent a few hours playing it today, started at Yen Sid's Tower and managed to clear Hollow Bastion 1, Land of Dragons 1, and Beast's Castle 1.

I'm slowly scraping my way through to the final main battle of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I need to sit down and take inventory of what quest items I have, and I really need to get more job variety in order to get these dispatch missions cleared - I have three Viera archers at the moment, and all three of them are working on Concentrate at the same time (one of whom has no A-Abilities yet!).
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

kingdom hearts 2 definitely has one of the best combat systems of any game i've ever played
and i promise the boss battles are not "triangle to win", especially not the final mix superbosses LOL.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

I've been playing Touhou 15 and just ragequit on Clownpiece; I've been doing Pointdevice to prepare for my Legacy 1cc and I think this might be the first time that a Touhou game is beyond my skill level
I'm probably gonna skip it and move on to 16 for now lol
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Got the platinum in Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout yesterday. That was so nuts going for that five wins in a row deal even with the quitting out early exploit. Once I got that, I quickly joined a group and got that last goal knocked down. If it wasn't for Animal Crossing, that'd be my favorite game released this year. It's exactly what I needed in a stressful year to just chill for the most part.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Bean wrote: 3 years ago Got the platinum in Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout yesterday. That was so nuts going for that five wins in a row deal even with the quitting out early exploit.
Ah, so that's how it's remotely even possible! I'm happy just to have won six crowns overall so far - 3 on Fall Mountain, 2 on Royal Fumble, 1 on Hex-a-gone, none on Jump Showdown yet.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

There are people that have gotten it legitimately. It just comes down to a lot of luck. On my third day playing the game, I got up to three wins in a row without knowing about the exploit. It's so hard though with all the random grabbing, blocking, or whatever now.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

So on a whim I tried starting a new save game on Final Fantasy Tactics Advance with the goal of creating a Ninja/Blue Mage Marche (I really should just go ahead and get the Blue Mage Start mod for FFTA, I use the job on Marche so much). Died before I could even join a clan. I guess this is a sign I should at least finish my other save file through the final boss first.

I've finished Olympus Coliseum 1 in Kingdom Hearts II. I'm taking a break from the plot for a bit to hunt down treasure chests before going on to Disney Castle/Timeless River. Also I keep getting the Gummi Ship controls backwards somehow - I keep thinking it's cockpit controls instead of STG controls and end up dodging into a rock face.

I've also started a run of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. Candor forces me to admit that I did give myself thirteen "Key to Treasure" cards (and 99 of every other map card) at the start, which does have a significant impact on my combat capabilities (since the attack cards locked by these cards can subsequently appear in Moogle Shops once unlocked) but I'm mostly just playing through it so that I remember the plot properly. I know the broad strokes from playing through it years ago, but it's been years. I'm about to start 3F.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I started up Dragon Quest VIII (3DS) the other day. It's been pretty fun so far. Probably helps that this remake doesn't have random encounters which makes it way easier to get stuff done that you want to. Yeah, it's been real easy flying through it so far for the most part outside of the couple times I went to fight enemies I shouldn't have right at the start of the game. Paid for that. Oops. Just about to get my fourth party member now after a bunch of plot here. Think I'll call it a day then.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Mirror's Edge has been sitting in my Steam library for years so I finally decided to give it a run (hah). I'm still pretty bad at it but hopefully I'll get acquainted with the controls soon and everything will start flowing better. In the meantime I can't help getting motion sick every time I play, though I imagine that's the usual experience :sanaeko:

Also replaying Doraemon: Nobita to Yousei no Kuni, a game I somehow beat as a child despite it being entirely in Japanese. Well, to be fair it's mostly a matter of talking to every NPC to unlock levels, which are standard platforming fare. I'm trying my best to interpret it as I go with my very limited Japanese skill (been studying for nearly year) but keep running into confusing sentences because I'm still missing a lot of grammar.
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

NastCF wrote: 3 years ago Mirror's Edge has been sitting in my Steam library for years so I finally decided to give it a run (hah). I'm still pretty bad at it but hopefully I'll get acquainted with the controls soon and everything will start flowing better. In the meantime I can't help getting motion sick every time I play, though I imagine that's the usual experience :sanaeko:
Mirror's Edge and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst are some of my favorite games of all time! I hope you enjoy it!!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

NastCF wrote: 3 years ago Also replaying Doraemon: Nobita to Yousei no Kuni, a game I somehow beat as a child despite it being entirely in Japanese. Well, to be fair it's mostly a matter of talking to every NPC to unlock levels, which are standard platforming fare. I'm trying my best to interpret it as I go with my very limited Japanese skill (been studying for nearly year) but keep running into confusing sentences because I'm still missing a lot of grammar.
I used to play Yume Dorobou to 7nin no Gozansu on the Mega Drive, though I've gotten to the final boss of the first SNES game before giving up some years back. I personally use Denshi Jisho to help comprehend some words I don't get as well as look up kanji, while sentences I have a hard time comprehending I use DeepL to aid me, much to my chagrin. Good luck
:slow:

Speaking of which, I am playing Suikoden in Japanese due to burning out on Phantasy Star II and the rest of my backlog. Died at the Blue Dam without saving, after having done the Red Dam and grinded the current party to 20/19/19/18. Oops. No one to really blame but myself, I guess you could say that the Visiphone is hidden behind several menus, in the inventory, but that's kind of an excuse.

I've been going through the prologue and I should get started with the actual gameplay today, I savestated in the middle of recruiting Cleo and Pahn. Gremio is the ultimate gay dad. Again, I'm taking a while since I'm trying to translate all the text I run into.

also i checked the lp on lparchive (not azure_horizon's, he's a creep) to see how long i have to go before random battles and dungeons and lol the lper goes outside after recruiting ted but before doing chatting with him in tir's room to grind???? god. also there's a character named futch and all i could think of was this
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Nast

Post by Nast »

GenesisJames wrote: Mirror's Edge and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst are some of my favorite games of all time! I hope you enjoy it!!
Thank you! I don't own Catalyst but I should look into it if I end up enjoying this first one
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago I used to play Yume Dorobou to 7nin no Gozansu on the Mega Drive, though I've gotten to the final boss of the first SNES game before giving up some years back. I personally use Denshi Jisho to help comprehend some words I don't get as well as look up kanji, while sentences I have a hard time comprehending I use DeepL to aid me, much to my chagrin. Good luck
I had no idea there was a Doraemon on Genesis, and from a quick glance it looks way better than the one I played lol. Might have to give it a try. Thanks for the tips too :catplanet:
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Recently finished Darksiders, I might try to do a cleanup and find some of the collectables I missed. Overall an alright combat focused Zelda-esque game. The main problem I have is that there's not much to do outside of the dungeons. Also I love the absurd amount of blood in the game; brutally dismembering enemies into puddles of red is one thing, doors exploding into gore when you unlock them is another thing entirely.

My general thoughts on the dungeons from best to worst are as follows;
Level 1: Twilight Cathedral
They clearly but the most of their juices into the first level to make a good impression, I love the aesthetics, the puzzles are fin and clever, there's a lot of great set pieces. It has one of the best midbosses in the game, who is even given an introduction cut scene and a name. Tiamat as a boss fight is a bit on the hard side for a first boss, but she's good a a character and she's built up well. Throughout the dungeon you encounter her fighting a griffon, and the dungeon shakes with the sound of their battle.
Level 5: The Black Throne
A giant tower that floats in a stormy void. Also a beautiful level, especially outside; a lot of good puzzles. The main centrepiece of the dungeon is a spiraling, floating mass of architecture that you need to climb up a points. Downsides are that some of the puzzles require annoying positioning, and the boss

Straga

while not bad, is underwhelming.
Level 4: Iron Canopy
This is how you make a gray level in a video game. The level is a ruined city taken over by giant spiders; it has a lovely ambience to it. The dungeon is an excellent example of compressed level building, you go through the level, grab the dungeon item, and go back through the dungeon with the item in tow accessing new areas and puzzles. The boss fight is brief, she's a giant spider that teleports around, the fight is really cool looking when the dodges are executed correctly. I love how she starts the fight taunting you and by the end is screaming hysterically. The downsides are that the midboss fights are all stacked to close to the end of the dungeon, and the dungeon has a gimmick that doesn't really show up playing through the dungeon because it activates to close to the end; after killing the broodmother, all spiders become super hostile.
Level 3: The Ashlands
This dungeon's weird because it's heavily integrated with the surrounding overworld segment. The first chunk is linear with subpar timing puzzles, the second part however, has some great combat sections. The level itself is meh, but the boss, The Stygian is my least favourite fight in the game, it take to long, it's not always clear what it is that you're supposed to do, and the boss minions have wonky harmboxes.
Level 2: The Hallow
Darksiders is a gray, colourless game, but for the most part it works, in the Hallow it doesn't work. Most of the dungeon is colourless waterlogged corridors, where you walk down one, grab a key, walk back down, and open a door. The worst part is that the opening area in the dungeon is very nice looking, and the overworld segment the Hallow connects to is the most colourful in the game. The dungeon only has a few interesting puzzles. The Griever as a boss is not interesting as a fight or a character, and the first phase feels a bit luck based. The only redeeming part of the Griever is that she menaces the player throughout the dungeon, so that's cool.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

started spiritfarer tonight and it's

really good,
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Along with Dragon Quest VIII (3DS), I gave Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 a spin yesterday. THPS1 always had some iffy levels in the mid-game, but the actual gameplay is faithful to the originals. In other words, it's fun.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I'm on the second pass of the worlds in Kingdom Hearts 2 - so far I've beaten Port Royal 2 and am halfway through Halloween Town 2. I'm putting Beast's Castle 2 off for last because Xaldin is the stuff of nightmares.

For Final Fantasy Tactics Advance I got smacked by restartitis and (successfully, this time) got a Thief Marche game going. Thanks to the level scaling mod I'm using I was able to make a beeline for Jeraw Sands - the earliest you can get a Cinquedea (the Steal: Ability item) without abusing the Recruit missions is from placing Jeraw Sands, which comes with the story mission right before Muscadet and the fourth Totema battle. So, now I'm level 7 with three totema under my belt. At least I can place Muscadet all the way out in The Middle Of Nowhere to keep from tripping over Scouring Time while I work on building up my abilities.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Made it to Lenankamp in Suikoden.

That bitch Pahn ratted us out and Ted had to sacrifice himself by joining the Empire (also he's actually 300 years old and knows Windy????). Pahn apparently makes up for it when he goes good again (which part of me wishes I didn't know about because I wanna play this unspoiled but also Pahn's a daddy so I'm glad) but man. Victor is cute too...

I'm having a hard time following the story due to Japanese and all but I don't mind. The more I expose myself to it, the more I'll end up understanding. I can also look up kanji, but looking it up takes a lot of energy and time so...
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Made it to

Odessa's death

in Suikoden. Its reasoning felt a bit sudden and a bit of a cop out but the execution was pretty touching. It helps that I'm playing in Japanese instead of English as apparently the English translation is a bit flat.

Her asking to be thrown into the sewer current to hide her body instead of being given a proper burial is extremely sad

. Heading to Seika to give Mathiu her earring. Gremio constantly acting like a doting father, even profusedly apologizing after pretending he was gonna decapitate Tir to try and scare the guards and Ain at the Fortress of Kwaba into letting them through, is extremely cute. Varkas and Sydonia are also extremely gay, so are Kessler and Ledon.

Everytime I hear about Mathiu, I am reminded of Sarah/Catherine/Raincrystal/Aeris from the Sarah Saga and the Final Fantasy House, though. So thanks LiveJournal. Nothing against otherkin and therians obviously, though but I kinda think factkin are kind of stepping into a sort of grey area by identifying as real people who existed.

big shout outs to Schtulteheim Reinbach III
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Somehow I managed to log myself out using a keyboard shortcut the first time I tried posting this.

I've beaten the main story in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance with my Fighter/Blue Mage game. I'm... going to put this game away for a while, mostly because I will want to start fresh with a new party and a plan to finally (after the better part of two decades of trying) to clear all 300 missions... which is going to take a fair bit of research since you have to hold more mission items than you are able to carry, which means knowing what you are and aren't allowed to dispose of. Also, gonna have Marche pick up Aim A-abilities early on next time so that when I get a target bow he's not hung out to dry for abilities.

Since I've beaten FFTA, this means I can go back to playing Pokemon Moon. I'm currently in Paniola Town. I give myself two weeks before distracting myself with other stuff to play on my 3ds.

I've reached Space Paranoids 2 in Kingdom Hearts 2. I remember this being more dangerous yet less difficult than the rest of the endgame, though admittedly it has been about a decade since I've even gotten this far. And while I still don't think I need the Ultima Weapon, at least this time I don't need to synthesize literally every other recipe in order to make it (which means I'll be able to use it this time). While Xaldin didn't manage to beat me, he put up a tougher fight than literally every other boss in the 2nd pass - the only other boss to come close to beating me was Hades 2, and that was only because Hades kept turning his invincibility boss gimmick back on halfway through my combos.

EDIT, because nobody else has posted since: Final Xemnas hates me and everything that I stand for. Him and Sephiroth are the only bosses that managed to kill me in this entire playthrough, and Sephiroth doesn't count since he's bonus content (and Xemnas only won because Riku is about as durable as a piece of tissue paper if Sora gets captured)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Wrapped up all I wanted to do in the Tony Hawk remake today. Not every PS4 game needs to be platinumed, especially when they have ridiculous experience grinding goals. I'll just ollie on back over to the 3DS some more after taking a break from DQVIII over the weekend.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Finished the story campaign in Mirror's Edge, now I'm just going back to collect all the bags I missed. I've also had a go at some of the Time Trials, which are pretty fun, but I'm being too obsessive in trying to clear them with three stars and getting frustrated as a result. I might have to settle for two-star clears in order to retain my sanity.

First Doraemon game on SNES is done, and interpreting it as I played was a really great learning experience. The game itself, though I'm very nostalgic for it, is nothing special at the end of the day. I'm moving on to Doraemon 2: Nobita no Toys Land Daibouken so I can get my next reading practice fix.

I've been checking out as many entries in SAGE 2020 as I can, but with around 200 submissions it'll probably be impossible for me to play them all. As far as fan games go, Sonic GT, Sonic Triple Trouble 16-bit, Sonic Galactic and Sonic and the Mayhem Master have stood out to me so far. As for original games I'm keeping an eye on Advent NEON, Annalynn, Meander Forth and Brock Crocodile, just to name a few.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

im at the Elf Village in Suikoden and i really like the design of the Kobold Village? it's v aesthetic
i also went through the Toran Lake Castle and fought the Zombie Dragon two days back and went through Lepant's manor today. the Zombie Dragon was v hard but pretty fun

bitches in the liberation army:
  • tir
  • gremio
  • cleo
  • viktor
  • mathiu
  • camille
  • tai ho
  • luc
  • yam koo
  • rock
  • juppo
  • lepant
  • eileen
  • giovanni
  • krin
  • marie
  • chandler
  • pahn
  • varkas
  • sydonia
  • kirkis
  • sansuke
i am so glad this game has a lot of dads (the gay kind not the literal kind)
Image Image
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I've got five minutes before it's time to leave, I'm sure I can beat Xemnas now and then later watch the secret what do you mean I can't pause the finale cutscenes!?