(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by thatguyif »

Kleetus wrote: 4 years ago Started playing Shovel Knight: King of Cards. Never would have guessed that the final Shovel Knight campaign would be a Yu-Gi-Oh arc.
Except that it acknowledges that such arcs are dorky af :D

I also see hints of the whole TCG craze thing in there

Also also, the platforming is smooth like butter, even with the weird moves
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

at my parents' house for the holidays and my brother has kirby star allies so i'm playing kirby star allies since i have not yet played kirby star allies
:catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Nast

Post by Nast »

So I tried Downwell for the first time.

Oh man. Oh man this is fun.
iosh
average average dude

Post by iosh »

I'm currently going through A Hat in Time, and it's lots of fun ! I'm really looking forward to raocow's LP :pal:

I'm also trying to finish Steins;Gate (only got 1 ending so far), but trying to get other endings in VNs can be so tedious :ehh:
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I redid the mission in Dark Moon and it didn't softlock this time. Also I found a gem I missed so there's that at least
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Also also, the platforming is smooth like butter, even with the weird moves
I'm more impressed that they put an entire table top game in the game.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Currently in the process of Mighty Gunvolt Burst run with second of the three characters (Beck), and I just feel... do I really wanna play this?

Other games I've played in past months felt engaging. There were characters where I cared about them and about what happens with them, or there were challenges and objectives I cared to beat. With MGB I just have a hard time really caring about the game. If I do decide to play it, it's kind of fun, but there isn't a strong sense of accomplishment at this point and it just doesn't do as good of a job making me want to keep going. Now that I've finished the game with one character (and got all the collectibles to find) this is weighing down on the game.

I do think it's better than Mighty No. 9, from what I've seen in the playthrough early this year. I'll probably finish the game with the two remaining characters eventually, but I feel like it would be in the backburner for some periods of times and not something I will continue playing w/o interruption. Should I bother with the 6 other DLC characters? The character packs are on Winter Sale right now...
Arrietty
Smol like a frend.
First name: Arrietty
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arrietty »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago Currently in the process of Mighty Gunvolt Burst run with second of the three characters (Beck), and I just feel... do I really wanna play this?

Other games I've played in past months felt engaging. There were characters where I cared about them and about what happens with them, or there were challenges and objectives I cared to beat. With MGB I just have a hard time really caring about the game. If I do decide to play it, it's kind of fun, but there isn't a strong sense of accomplishment at this point and it just doesn't do as good of a job making me want to keep going. Now that I've finished the game with one character (and got all the collectibles to find) this is weighing down on the game.

I do think it's better than Mighty No. 9, from what I've seen in the playthrough early this year. I'll probably finish the game with the two remaining characters eventually, but I feel like it would be in the backburner for some periods of times and not something I will continue playing w/o interruption. Should I bother with the 6 other DLC characters? The character packs are on Winter Sale right now...
Yeah, this more or less sums up my feeling on the Mighty Gunvolt series (the 8bit ones)... it just feels, really safe? IDK, Burst is well designed on its own right, but as you've said, it doesn't do enough to make you care about the game. It doesn't help the music is pretty boring remixes of the main Mighty No 9 game (and I heard that game features these exact remixes... which explains a lot).

What did you think of the custom weapon system? Personally, I feel mixed on it. It's fun to come up with fun and creative configurations, but I also feel like I spend way too much time on it. Like... I dunno, maybe it feels too complex for a simpler Mega Man styled platformer? I'd probably praise the system much more if this was in a more complex action/platformer game. But alas, this game has it and doesn't give me a strong compelling reason to actually bother with it beyond "cool weapon configuration, bro".

EDIT: I remember playing this game over voice chat once and one of my friends got understandably aggrivated by the repetitive boss theme. lol
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Why the heck was the mansion 4 boss in Dark Moon so easy compared to all the other bosses? It also only had 3 levels, though they did seem fairly long. Though a lot of that is cause of how much walking you have to do to get around.

I'm wondering if there was some time crunch in this game's development
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Arrietty wrote: 4 years ago
What did you think of the custom weapon system? Personally, I feel mixed on it. It's fun to come up with fun and creative configurations, but I also feel like I spend way too much time on it. Like... I dunno, maybe it feels too complex for a simpler Mega Man styled platformer? I'd probably praise the system much more if this was in a more complex action/platformer game. But alas, this game has it and doesn't give me a strong compelling reason to actually bother with it beyond "cool weapon configuration, bro".
Pretty much. All around, there's way more to the customization system than what's needed. For one thing, it's nice that you can save and store multiple configurations, but do you really need 40 slots? I guess it doesn't hurt to have them. I think the idea is that you can create multiple setups and swap among them for different stages/goals. So if you want a different style you just make another setup, instead of changing an existing one (which is what I did, I just had one setup for my main preferred options and another for the charged shot). You can also find stickers in the stages, which aside from just having a nice collection, are used specifically to give distinct labels for the setups.

Plus you can even customize mid-level, adding to the feeling of overdoing it, although that allows you to change your attack type, which can help with block types or bosses in different levels. And using up more CP affects your score, so if you're going for ranks and scores you don't want to use setups with too high-end costs (this is why some options also give you nerfs with negative CP cost).
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

bought dicey dungeons, gurumin, hollow knight, stardew valley, super hexagon, super meat boy, vvvvvv, ys 1&2 chronicles+, ys origin and ys 6 with like a 50€ card on steam.

played a bit of ys 1, nostalgic, but it feels like they've added some stuff (barbado etc). i like it. i'll probably try to purchase more games on steam in the future.

:monstrosity:
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

This last mansion in Dark Moon is pretty fun but holy cow can this game be annoying when you accidentally trigger the mission finishing action that could be literally ANYTHING in your exploration, and suddenly Gadd yanks you out the mission before you're done exploring and you have to do the entire thing over again just to catch a boo or grab a gem

For example, in this mission I just did, after you suck up some ghosts, a train appears. Obviously I want to get into the train and see where it will take me but first I want to explore around the room and make sure I've seen everything. I go to a set of binoculars where a little cutscene takes place. After the cutscene, Gadd calls and yanks you right out of the mission. HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT WOULD END THE MISSION? NOW I HAVE TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN. Not to mention, I'm trying to collect all the gems and for no reason some of the gems are a 1-time only thing where if you mess up a minigame, you missed your only shot and you have to do the entire mission over again if you want another shot at it. Why? This is just a waste of time.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Man, I remember loving Dark Moon for the mission-based structure. Took away the whole big mansion feeling, but it made things more fun to play. One day, we'll get to LM3.

For now, I'm not playing much. Finished off a run of something I'll hopefully be ready to start up tomorrow.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Finished off Dark Moon. Final boss was pretty fun, though it and this game in general kind of highlights a big issue with the 3DS circle pad. I don't know if it's just me but I CANNOT hold the circle pad in one direction for more than a few seconds before it starts slipping out from under my thumb back into center position. This becomes an issue when you're trying to wrangle a ghost by holding in the direction away from it, and an even bigger issue in the final boss fight where every once in a while you're expected to hold right for an extended period of time and I'd have to let go and quickly move it back to the right.

I caught all the boos, did all the bonus levels, and collected all the gems. As far as I can tell there's no reward for this other than bragging rights. I didn't bother with 3-starring the missions cause it just seemed like too much work.
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by AmeijinMayo »

I've returned to Final Fantasy IX! It was one of my brother's favorite FF games and despite me playing it a long long time ago, I can't remember why I don't consider it a favorite myself. Hopefully the re-playthrough will answer that somehow.
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I played through the entirety of a 36-game Rocket League season on the Switch and won the championship. Pro (Normal) difficulty for that. Man, that game is so much fun. Glad I finally got to play it on something after all the years it's been out.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Finished Downwell a little while ago, might keep playing it here and there just for fun, but admittedly without anything to unlock I'm more likely to just move on to other games. Plus I got myself a Genesis Mini this Christmas so that's taking up my attention at the moment.

Beat Shinobi III today on Normal, might try a harder difficulty before checking out other games. I did have a go at Wily Wars though - yikes, what's up with the movement delay? Whenever I try to make small movements Mega Man just won't go, like he's stuck to the floor. With the added input lag that comes from the emulation it feels borderline unplayable :ehh:
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Some game updates!

- Finished New Super Lucky's Tale on the Switch. Pretty much the closest thing I'll get to a new Spyro game in the vein of the classic trilogy. Really fun and cute, even if it's on the easy side.

- Started up Skullgirls 2nd Encore. First time playing an entry in the series, and I'm loving it. I like how it's not too difficult to get into even though there's a shitload of things that you can do in it. I've been on a fighting game kick since getting into King of Fighters, haha.

- Played about half(?) of Umihara Kawase Fresh. Fun and charming game, even if the controls can leave something to be desired sometimes. I like the extra missions with Curly!

- Went through Let's Go: Eevee! Had fun, though I forgot how weird Gen 1's difficulty curve is. I was underleveled for like half of the game, then overleveled for everything after Koga. I wish this game had the traditional catching/wild mechanics instead of the Go ones; kinda hindered my experiences a bit. Had a pleasant time with it though. Fun to train some new Pokemon and Eevee is a blessing and the cutest thing alive.

- Been working on my living dex for Pokemon Sword, along with creating movesets for other Pokemon that I like aside from my original 6 in my team. I really like this game, and it makes everything so convenient. Kinda weird to see the differences going back and forth from LG:E and this. Only need the Shield exclusives to go!

- My collector's edition of River City Girls finally came! It's super cute and I gotta get on playing that!

- Picked up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Child of Light & Valiant Hearts, Gravity Rush Remastered, Yakuza Kiwami, and Yakuza Kiwami 2 for Christmas. Also bought Death Stranding and Hat In Time with some gift cards, along with Monster Hunter World. Haven't played any of these other than Mario Kart yet, but I'm gonna be busy for a while!

- Still on my break from the All The Touhous. Haven't had the drive to play, especially knowing I'm just gonna rage at Sukuna again because I'm absolute garbage at her fight. Dunno when I'll continue that.

... whew, that's a lot of shit
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

Starting my next shiny hunt in Sword, being Shiny Dreepy! My Mimikyu was around 200 after odds (like 800 eggs yeesh), so hopefully Dreepy doesn't hurt me as much
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

Slimeman01 wrote: Starting my next shiny hunt in Sword, being Shiny Dreepy! My Mimikyu was around 200 after odds (like 800 eggs yeesh), so hopefully Dreepy doesn't hurt me as much
best of luck with that Dreepy!
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: What modded games are you playing?

Post by Awoo »

I made a huge mistake and installed Minecraft with mods again, and it's been sucking up an unhealthy amount of what little free time I have. It's not even that great of a pack so I was considering installing a different one, but I'm not even sure which because they all have Thaumcraft and I absolutely hate that mod/pretty much all magic mods.

If you're wondering why I've been less active lately you can thank Mojang :ehh:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

oh uh, I'm still playing FFIX. I don't know if this counts but I played FFV with Four Job Fiesta going awhile back.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago I made a huge mistake and installed Minecraft with mods again, and it's been sucking up an unhealthy amount of what little free time I have. It's not even that great of a pack so I was considering installing a different one, but I'm not even sure which because they all have Thaumcraft and I absolutely hate that mod/pretty much all magic mods.

You could try that super difficult pack RLCraft, which is just a huge modpack that makes the game a ton more difficult!
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: What Minecraf games are you playing?

Post by Awoo »

Slimeman01 wrote: 4 years ago
Awoo wrote: 4 years ago I made a huge mistake and installed Minecraft with mods again, and it's been sucking up an unhealthy amount of what little free time I have. It's not even that great of a pack so I was considering installing a different one, but I'm not even sure which because they all have Thaumcraft and I absolutely hate that mod/pretty much all magic mods.

You could try that super difficult pack RLCraft, which is just a huge modpack that makes the game a ton more difficult!
I tried Continuum but it was super frustrating how everything was super bottlenecked. I remember trying the "Beyond Reality" pack a while back and that was pretty interesting, along with some other 1.7 FtB pack I can't remember off the top of my head.

Tonight though I just DL'ed one of the various 1.12 packs that's out there and disabled all the Thaumcraft related garbage and most of the other magic mods. I really wish they'd make a Tech World 3 since Tech World 2 was for 1.6.4 and that came out like 7 years ago :ehh:

ugh I feel like I should just delete it all while I'm ahead and focus on all the chores I'm ignoring as a result of all this miney crafting. I sure do love building brown bricks nyoro~n
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago I sure do love building brown bricks