So naturally the first game I've played is Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle as it is the first in the list aaaaaaand... it's not great. At all. ctually, it was pretty bad. What a lousy game to end the franchise on considering the first game (Miracle World) was actually okay.
Things I like about it:
- Uhhh. Some of the puzzles in the final world were neat... in concept.
- Game is a bit merciful with the Continues that as long as you have $1000 gold, you can come back from a Game Over.
It is really hard to think of what I actually like about that game.
Things I dislike about it:
- Slippery controls, makes it very easy to get hit by enemies/obstacles. This is especially a huge problem in games where you die in a single hit.
- Attacking in midair requires you to let go the jump button. Yes. You kick in mid air by letting go of the jump button. It is as cumbersome as it sounds.
- Inconsistent hitboxes. It's sometimes unpredictable to know if your attack will be successful or not, so I for the life of me cannot understand why I fail to hit something.
- Enemies are active off screen, making it easy to jump into them by accident in vertical sections.
- Forgettable and weak level design. The game does get a bit meatier with the level design towards the end, but also gets more frustrating and cheap at the same time. There are no levels I've actually enjoyed in this game.
- Dying in the Sky level at all brings you all the way back to the beginning of a stage that takes place before it (Rocky Mountain 2). As if both stages weren't already horrible. Fun.
- Terribly repetitive and obnoxious music. I was stuck in the final level for hours, dealing with this dang song.
- Game is just generally ugly and unpleasant to look at. What the hell was that hedgehog sprite?
The next game I'm about to play is Altered Beast as that came next. It's one of my first games ever but I've never beaten it. I guess I should finally put that to a close.