(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Ivy »

Binding of isaac is child's play compared to TEIN. I love it. I'm not too far from full clearing Isaac for a second time.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Zha Hong Lang wrote: 6 years ago The 100% achievement status is nigh
I hate the achievements in Edmund McMillen's games so much that now I don't even bother. Screw trying to complete whatever arbitrary task he comes up with that doesn't encourage fun gameplay in the slightest.

I also didn't buy End Is Nigh anyway, the game looks like it takes what I found to be the least interesting aspects of meat boy (shallow story with exaggerated nihilistic themes, repetitive platforming, stupidly hidden items) and focuses almost exclusively on them. It has split paths which is cool in and of itself, but I don't really think that adds a lot of value to a game in this vein of platforming.
I actually think I prefer the base game of The End Is Nigh to Super Meat Boy.
Maybe I just didn't put enough time into SMB (I've beaten it at least a couple times, but never cared for the idea of doing bandages or anything) but I've found TEIN feels even more precise than it, which was already pretty precise. At the very least, I've found the ledge grabbing mechanic is more fun than wall jumping (though can be frustrating when Ash grabs ledges you didn't intend for him to) and the ability to press down or right trigger to fling yourself downward while in midair feels really good and makes for some really fun platforming segments.

But yeah, the achievement garbage kinda pisses me off. I recall hearing him talk about it in an interview one time. Basically, his view of achievements is that he doesn't think everybody should be able to get all achievements, and he doesn't mind that he can't even complete the achievements in any of his own games. I guess it's an overall different mindset, but it really turned me off of playing any further in SMB after I beat the base game (can't remember if I ever finished the dark world in that). I think I left off 1 achievement away from 100% original Isaac (Mama's boy was my last I think?) and I did have Real Platinum God in Rebirth back when that launched, but doing The Lost back before they buffed him gave me PTSD and I've never wanted to go back and play that game again because of how stressful that was.
I might have to at some point, just not expect myself to earn back my 100% achievements with the DLCs that are out now.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago I actually think I prefer the base game of The End Is Nigh to Super Meat Boy.
Maybe I just didn't put enough time into SMB (I've beaten it at least a couple times, but never cared for the idea of doing bandages or anything) but I've found TEIN feels even more precise than it, which was already pretty precise. At the very least, I've found the ledge grabbing mechanic is more fun than wall jumping (though can be frustrating when Ash grabs ledges you didn't intend for him to) and the ability to press down or right trigger to fling yourself downward while in midair feels really good and makes for some really fun platforming segments.
I won't attempt to compare a control scheme I don't know anything about, though it just seems like the base game is largely the same, just with a higher emphasis on precision platforming, and not really that much innovation in that regard. It could be just me, but after seeing the mario fan content that comes out nowadays I feel like TEIN could use more item interactions to keep things fresh. Seeing levels like this which go beyond the basic aspects of moving around and jumping while still being very focused on precision platforming make me believe that games like TEIN could benefit from that, especially since there were already a few minor interactions in the game not present in meat boy (water comes first to mind).
But yeah, the achievement garbage kinda pisses me off. I recall hearing him talk about it in an interview one time. Basically, his view of achievements is that he doesn't think everybody should be able to get all achievements, and he doesn't mind that he can't even complete the achievements in any of his own games.
Oh my goodness that design philosophy INFURIATES me. If you seriously don't design something to be beaten, then why make it for a professional project in the first place? How is that okay? How?????
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I'm playing that Zelda Picross game on the 3DS while doing some tiring video editing lately. Once you get past the tutorial stuff, it's fun enough. Shame my 3DS battery is going kaput on me at this point, so maybe that's why I'm trying to get every one of these handheld games done that I've put off for a bit.
warpio

Post by warpio »

I just started A Hat in Time. Finished most of the first world and some of the 2nd world. Here's my early impressions.

This game is pretty good. If you've ever wanted Mario Sunshine without the Fludd, that's pretty much what this game is in a nutshell. Everything from the world/mission structure to the moveset is just straightup Mario Sunshine... The level designs are obviously vary 3D Mario inspired, with a lot of focus on tight platforming and making use of your acrobatic moveset, and even has the

secret void levels like the ones in Sunshine

All the NPCs in this game have fully voiced dialog like in Psychonauts. The main character is a mute, and everyone just calls her "Hat Kid". The cutscenes are all really cute and funny... it's a different kind of humor than Yooka Laylee was going for, it's much less in your face and more of a charming, cute type of humor.

There's things to collect in the level that reward you for exploring on your way to the main goal of each mission, but the collectibles are not a huge focus like they are in the Banjo style games. Like, you can still unlock a lot of cool things like movement options from the optional collectibles, but there's no individual level totals for these things to entice you to scavenge the entire level collecting everything in it to fill out a checklist. It's much more Mario style "get the star, and maybe find other neat thing along the way".
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I've been doing a lot of ALttP Randomizer games lately. I'm trying to get my median time under 4 hours so that I can do a one-sitting stream for it before the year's out.

It would help if I didn't keep selecting the Entrance Randomizer.

Is A Hat In Time available on Steam? It looks cute and fun.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Got my copy of the Superstar Saga remake for 3DS which came out today.
I'm about an hour in so far. It's interesting to hear the updated music, and also what I think are a lot of the original Charles Martinet voice samples but NOT compressed to GBA quality. It's interesting to hear these sound clips that I've heard so many times, but in way better quality.

A few notable differences I've noticed is there's now a block button, which from what I can tell allows you to forego trying to fully dodge enemy attacks and just tank it but take less damage. I guess that's neat, I probably won't use it. The standard jump attack now allows you to do 2 jumps, to follow with what they standardized in Partners in Time and beyond. So far there isn't a button that allows Mario and Luigi to switch place in the order they walk. It's also interesting that they reverted back to the weird save system seen in Dream Team where there's save blocks despite you being able to save anywhere. They fixed that in Paper Jam by getting rid of save blocks entirely, but then I guess just forgot about it here? The handholding is as annoying as ever; Superstar Saga was already a very easy game but they've shoved in more guides and hints, and there's also a new settings menu in the pause screen with literally just a single toggle to turn on easy mode.
I'm hoping that along with their additions of all their modern M&L game "I'm a stupid baby that can't play video games" mechanics they've added in a hard mode. Though, as always I don't know why they make you unlock hard mode. It should just be there to begin with.

edit: Oh, also there's no 3D for some reason. I'm not disappointed, but if you need any more convincing Nintendo has given up on that gimmick, here it is.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

So they didn't seem to put much effort into rebalancing this game to make it a bit less easy to break.

So far I've killed the first like 5 bosses in a couple turns.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

Binding of Isaac Switch Update:

Finally finished Cain after an hour of Greeider mode, fun times!

All I have left to do:
-Blue Baby Greedier
-Lost to Mega Satan, Delirium, and Greedier
-Keeper to everything except Chest and Greed

I've saved the hardest for last, woohooooo
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Decided to play a bit of the recently released Make a Good Mega Man Level Contest 2. Took me a bit to get things set up, but I played through the Tier 1 levels and boss. They were pretty bad. Only really liked one of them, a level called Mix & Match. I recorded footage of my second attempts in case I want to do a series on that. 81 levels, although I refuse to show one of them, plus a lot of extras.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

MaGMML2, and my thoughts on one level. Three routes, so little fun. The color blue has betrayed me tonight, not that the green or pink routes were that much better.

I should've known this would be bad with this garbage bot hanging around the place.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago Been playing Danganronpa V3 since it released and finally beat it last night. Overall it was quite an interesting game though the first chapter pissed me off more than any other event in the series and the end of the game is one of the weirdest things I've ever experienced in a game to the point I'd have trouble describing it even if I didn't bother avoiding spoilers.

I think monocoins may be a little bit unbalanced if you're playing on mean action and logic difficulties though. I spent most of the game maxed out and the final class trial would have put me somewhere around 1400 if it weren't for the fact that 999 is the max. (This despite the fact you can easily get 400-450 monocoins from an A rank on mean difficulty and another 200 during the chapter itself.)

The life mechanic is quite interesting though. It's pretty well used, especially with the back routes they added. Back routes are alternate paths through a given act of a class trial where you could pass that act with proper evidence but you can also lie to get through it. I accidentally stumbled across one during a class trial where the only thing I could come up with between the available truth bullets and available refute/consent points was to lie regarding one of them. Turned out that wasn't the proper way and I passed it using a back route though. (The second back route during the second case iirc.)
Davybot wrote: 6 years agoReally enjoying playing Steam World Dig 2
Is it as good as the original was? I wasn't expecting a sequel but I'm pretty interested in it. Only passed on it so far because I've been busy with Danganronpa V3.
tbh i loved the twist in the first chapter & was honestly expecting it to happen at some point in the game, just not as soon as it did
& i saw some parts of the twist in chapter 6 coming a mile away, though it went even farther with it than i was expecting

the stuff that bothered me is the slow middle of the game & how some of the trials took forever to establish really obvious things (case 2 and 4 were especially bad about this)

but overall i enjoyed it, more than DR2 for sure and maybe more than DR1 too, time may tell with that one
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Parama wrote: 6 years agotbh i loved the twist in the first chapter & was honestly expecting it to happen at some point in the game, just not as soon as it did
& i saw some parts of the twist in chapter 6 coming a mile away, though it went even farther with it than i was expecting

the stuff that bothered me is the slow middle of the game & how some of the trials took forever to establish really obvious things (case 2 and 4 were especially bad about this)

but overall i enjoyed it, more than DR2 for sure and maybe more than DR1 too, time may tell with that one
It wasn't so much the twist itself that pissed me off as much as the fact that

Kaede is exactly the sort of protagonist I've wanted to see in the series for awhile and the first thing they do is kill her off and replace her with a protagonist who's more or less the same as the previous two games. This is exacerbated by the fact that Kaito ends up overshadowing her by the end of the game and it turns out she was never even guilty to begin with so the entire thing kinda felt like a big "fuck you" from the developers for daring to thing we'd have a more interesting protagonist than usual.

The twist itself was interesting though. And agreed on most of the rest of that, although I'm not entirely certain I agree on that last part. As far as story goes I think the first one is best. Gameplay-wise though, DR3 is definitely the best one overall.

The bonus mode stuff is kinda interesting too. A bit too grindy though in my opinion. Definitely more unique than the bonus mode stuff in DR1/2.
Schmiggety
Special Edition
First name: First name: First name:

Post by Schmiggety »

Getting really close to 100% in Afterbirth+ for the switch. I just need cracked crown and to pick up a few items I haven't bothered with.
A Hat in Time came out the other day and I'm having fun with that one. Hat kid is way too cute. Also this game has Gabe the dog, may he rip in peace.
I need to finish Mario + Rabbids, but Binding of Isaac and school take up so much of my time.
Thinking about picking up Pokemon Y.
Wah
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Still recording MaGMML2 stuff. The Tier 3 stages basically all had the theme of going overboard, either on enemies like the fun early stages or on having way too many paths like the final one. That place overstayed its welcome by a lot. Tier 4 is where it's finally getting to feel like Mega Man levels outside of the opener that was literally just a boss.

Just stopped at a stage with a gravity-shifting gimmick that I thankfully got all the collectables in around ten minutes. If it wasn't for yesterday's Tier 3 stage that took me an hour, I'd probably been playing this one forever instead. Now I'm going out of my way to see if there are secret paths in levels with stuff to find.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

So I played through the main chunk of Bowser's Minions in the 3DS Superstar Saga remake.

It was kind of fun, but I do have a few issues. One thing non-gameplay related is you can tell they didn't have the same writers and/or localization team as when SS was first made. At the very least, I have to assume that's the case anyway, cause the writing and humor is so incredibly lacking compared to the base game. Maybe it's also that the material they had to work with was comparatively bland (they had to write an entire story around "minions fighting"). But some jokes were so cringe-inducing, I think I had maybe 2 chuckles in the whole thing. Whereas the base game I still find quite funny.

As for gameplay itself, I suppose I just have an issue in the fact that every individual troop you acquire levels individually. I don't exactly have a suggestion for a better way to do this, and I have very little experience with whatever tactical deck building genre this would fall into. But the way leveling works basically makes for a situation where if you don't use some of your troops for like 3 levels in a row, they're gonna be left in the dust and never touched again. This not only happened with regular old grunts, but even my captains ended up unused. I didn't use the green koopa captain you get partway through the story, and by the point I considered using him he was like level 20 or something and the rest of my squad was in the 30s. And the method of catching these guys back up is basically taking them into earlier missions with other troops that can basically carry them through so they can get EXP. And every once in a while you'd get to a point where you needed some type of troop but you didn't have any that were high level enough, so you end up mindlessly grinding the same mission over and over again, and it's not exactly engaging. And the other issue with this is to optimize grinding you have to find the hardest level you can possibly pull off doing with your current team so you can get the most EXP, but you don't want to choose anything too tough for them or you might end up doing a mission that's 5-6 battles in a row and dying at the end and making literally zero progress for your 5+ minutes of sitting around.

I don't know, I didn't mind it as a whole. I'm actually still not technically done, I have some other missions to do, and from the sounds of things I can unlock more stuff by playing through the base game. I'll probably finish it all for the sake of completion, but after this I'll probably never play it again.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

MaGMML2 Tier 5 cleared. Going to start up Tier 6 later this morning if I'm feeling up to playing a bit more. It's nice to see some good full levels that rely on fun gimmicks or good old-fashioned platforming action now.
GanonTEK
Evil King
Location: Ireland. The Emerald Isle. (We got no emeralds though)

Post by GanonTEK »

I've been playing Slime Rancher.

I've lots of slimes. It's a cute game.
Kshaard
Dodo/
First name: mac5565

Post by Kshaard »

OK. Back on the forum. Looks like I couldn't keep myself away!

With the announcement that the online service is soon being cancelled, I finally got myself a Wii and Mega Man 9 (10 I will be sure to get eventually). Though this is technically my first Mega Man, years of raocow and GeminiLaser have made me so familiar with the series that it certainly didn't feel that way. Controls took absolutely no getting used to whatsoever: there is no discrepancy between how they appear on video and how they feel to use; whereas, for something like Mario 1, the character appears pretty intuitive to control on video, but then when I actually start playing he slides about all over the place and before I know it I've fallen down yet another one-tile gap.

I started with Concrete because best music. It gave an outstanding first impression, and for the first hour I was pretty much grinning my face off non-stop while dying to every single obstacle possible. After several unsuccessful attempts at the boss, I somehow fluked a damageless kill, which was nice.

Next was Magma, chosen because a knight on a chessboard could jump from Concrete to there. This was even more of a challenge than Concrete to me, and it wasn't until a second playing session that I actually beat it. The boss fight was quite intense, and I pretty much just used a dps strat for it. I don't think my brain is quick enough to actually dodge him most of the time.

Completing that level felt good, so I thought I'd take a bit of a victory lap by playing until game over on Galaxy Man's stage. No reason why I chose that one in particular. Once my nonexistent platforming skills inevitably got the better of me, I decided to try switching the console from PAL to NTSC, just to check that mode actually works on my CRT. And it does. Tested it out on the only game I had. The lack of letterboxing was a nice breath of fresh air, but the extra 10 Hz made it feel as though I was playing on an emulator in fast-forward mode. But I got used to it pretty quickly. And before I knew it I had accidentally beaten the stage without using a continue. Huh. Surprisingly easy. I was intending to save that level for a subsequent playing session.

It's a fun game, this.

... Why did I write all that? Smells to me a bit like preaching to the choir. Oh well.
This is someone's signature.

"I don't like that universe I just created by accident . . ."
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Kshaard wrote: 6 years agoGeminiLaser
I used to watch this guy all the time but I couldn't remember his name for the life of me! And there has been plenty of times where I wanted to find him again cause I remembered his voice, but just couldn't think of what his name was!

Mega Man 9 is really good. I like to think of it as a less janky 2. Lots of memorable segments, creative level design, and overall just a really solid experience. It's possibly my favorite of the classic series.
Also, you didn't really have to buy it on Wii. It's also available as part of Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 which came out recently, and it includes Mega Men 7-10, plus all the DLC for 9 and 10.
Kshaard
Dodo/
First name: mac5565

Post by Kshaard »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago Also, you didn't really have to buy it on Wii. It's also available as part of Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 which came out recently, and it includes Mega Men 7-10, plus all the DLC for 9 and 10.
I knew I would eventually get a Wii anyway, so this was just the thing to hasten that decision. And personally I just prefer playing on the original console.
This is someone's signature.

"I don't like that universe I just created by accident . . ."
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

The Legacy Collection 2 versions of 9 and 10 are just as much a port as the Wii, PS3, and 360 versions are. The game was written in a custom engine which was then just ported to each console, and now it's being ported to current gen consoles.
The only benefit you'd get I suppose is if you're using the Wii's analogue output for lower latency. But they're not like, emulating a specific port in LC2.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I just played 128-Up's level in MaGMML2. Whew. That was a doozy in the second half, but the actual finale was fun. Taking a small break to rest up after that. Surprised it took me under fifteen minutes to beat because some of those jumps are kind of crazy. Expected, but crazy.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I had been playing Advance Wars. I made it to what I believe is the final battle, but I see no way for victory in this one so I'm just gonna stop. I'm a tad disappointed in how outright dumb the

selection of the two additional COs in that battle are chosen, giving me Grit and Sami, two COs who are not very good at all in direct combat. Thus Andy has to deal with all the direct combat on his own.

I basically end up getting overwhelmed, and the big bad's CO power doesn't help matters.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I finished the Superstar Saga 3DS remake.
I'm a tad peeved you don't unlock a hard mode for beating the game. They went through the effort of adding an easy mode and adding a bunch of handicaps to what was an already fairly easy game. They couldn't have bothered with a hard mode? Really disappointing.

But whatever. The game itself is still fun, and if you never played Superstar Saga on GBA before, this is a good way to experience it too. I'm not a fan of some of the changes they've made. Even the fact that they got rid of the button to switch Mario/Luigi's walking order and changed the method of selecting abilities feels like an unnecessary change that just made it even less intuitive than before. At the beginning when you only have a few abilities, cycling through the different types of jumps is fine. But by the end you have a total of 10 abilities, and you're supposed to L/R scroll through each of them 1 at a time, I just ended up using the touchscreen cause it was was faster. Another side effect of the new system is that because Mario is the only one that's allowed to use a hammer while standing in front, you physically can't start a battle with your hammer as Luigi. So if you have some kind of equipment that boosts hammer strength, or want to make Luigi your powerhouse in a playthrough or something, you're at a disadvantage because Luigi can't start battles with a hammer swing. And not only are there these practicality quirks, but there was also a charm with the fact that you could play around with abilities before unlocking new ones. Like, if the brother in back would equip his hammer and bonk the guy in the front before you learned those abilities, you'd just squish him and the front brother would get mad. Same with the hand powers. That's just not in this game any more because they don't let you experiment or play around as much.

They also ruined a few balancing features of the original. There's now no punishment for running from battles. You used to lose coins for it, but now it's just a "run" button that I accidentally activated on a few occasions because I was menu-ing too fast, and there's no confirmation dialogue. There was also a neat balance with hammer counterattacking where if you held the hammer over your head for too long, the head of the hammer would fall off and you'd probably miss your counter. It was a really ingenious balancing system, encouraging players to start the hammer swing at the right time instead of just being preemptive and holding your hammer above your head all the time. But they removed that, and now you can do exactly that. You have no reason to NOT have your hammer out to counter attack ever.

Another thing is that some of the flashy new effects make the gameplay so that it's really hard to understand what's going on. One of the worst is an attack from the final boss. I won't spoil it in case you haven't played the game, but basically there's a ball of light that's so bright, you can barely even see yourself as you're supposed to be interacting with it. There's a few other areas in battles where I had trouble parsing depth. The final boss actually has another attack where

2 blames circle around Mario and Luigi and you have to jump over them as they come under each brother. The first time she did this, I literally couldn't tell what was going on because the fire has no shadow, and I didn't know where it was in relation to everything else.

There's a few other things like this, where it's like the remake team didn't get why things were implemented like they were. But that's modern Nintendo I guess.