(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago Got 100% in Samus Returns in under ten hours. I'm satisfied. A couple of those bosses were really, really fun to fight. One in particular was a blast considering the buildup to it. It's not Zero Mission, but it is a real good remake in its own right.
I'm really glad that people appreciate Samus returns. Ever since its E3 reveal I was afraid that it would be rather mediocre, but I've heard really good things all around from everyone. The only real issue I've heard people complain about beyond small nitpicks is just the aeion ability (or whatever it's called) that points out hidden items.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Zha Hong Lang wrote: 6 years agoI'm really glad that people appreciate Samus returns. Ever since its E3 reveal I was afraid that it would be rather mediocre, but I've heard really good things all around from everyone. The only real issue I've heard people complain about beyond small nitpicks is just the aeion ability (or whatever it's called) that points out hidden items.
Yeah, it makes it pretty easy to find items since it literally unveils the map for you. I didn't need a guide for anything in this, but the exploration factor is still there.
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Zha Hong Lang wrote: 6 years ago
Bean wrote: 6 years ago Got 100% in Samus Returns in under ten hours. I'm satisfied. A couple of those bosses were really, really fun to fight. One in particular was a blast considering the buildup to it. It's not Zero Mission, but it is a real good remake in its own right.
I'm really glad that people appreciate Samus returns. Ever since its E3 reveal I was afraid that it would be rather mediocre, but I've heard really good things all around from everyone. The only real issue I've heard people complain about beyond small nitpicks is just the aeion ability (or whatever it's called) that points out hidden items.
Luckily, the scan pulse is entirely optional; I went through the entire game without it, so exploring and finding items was exactly like the other games.

The only other big criticism I've seen is that the game is linear in terms of progression, but the source material was probably the most linear of all classic Metroid games, so I think they've struck a nice balance between total exploration and linear progression.

I'm also glad to hear that most people are really enjoying it overall, though. Great return to form from the series, and I'm hoping that the unlockable story art after you beat the game 100% finally sheds some light on what takes place after Fusion. There's some interesting stuff in that art, and I think it would make a great plot for a Fusion sequel.
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Louiejub wrote: 6 years agoLuckily, the scan pulse is entirely optional; I went through the entire game without it, so exploring and finding items was exactly like the other games.

The only other big criticism I've seen is that the game is linear in terms of progression, but the source material was probably the most linear of all classic Metroid games, so I think they've struck a nice balance between total exploration and linear progression.

I'm also glad to hear that most people are really enjoying it overall, though. Great return to form from the series, and I'm hoping that the unlockable story art after you beat the game 100% finally sheds some light on what takes place after Fusion. There's some interesting stuff in that art, and I think it would make a great plot for a Fusion sequel.
My real concern with the scan pulse isn't that it would affect my own playthrough of the game (or for that of other seasoned players), but that it'd create misleading expectations for new players. I've read in various comment sections that Samus Returns is the first metroid game ever for quite a few people, which is sensible since there hasn't been a real metroid game since Other M. However, I'm still glad it's only this part of the gameplay that's whittled down, rather than if the core gameplay was removed in favor of something else entirely.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Zha Hong Lang wrote: 6 years ago
Louiejub wrote: 6 years agoLuckily, the scan pulse is entirely optional; I went through the entire game without it, so exploring and finding items was exactly like the other games.

My real concern with the scan pulse isn't that it would affect my own playthrough of the game (or for that of other seasoned players), but that it'd create misleading expectations for new players. I've read in various comment sections that Samus Returns is the first metroid game ever for quite a few people, which is sensible since there hasn't been a real metroid game since Other M. However, I'm still glad it's only this part of the gameplay that's whittled down, rather than if the core gameplay was removed in favor of something else entirely.
Yeah, you got a point there. Granted, power bombs are basically the scan pulse of the older games, but I'm also glad that the core gameplay remains very tight and similar. I would assume that most new players would get used to the old games' style if they really enjoyed Samus Returns though, which is good!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

While my computer was putting in some work for me, I kept the 3DS out and started up Bye-Bye BoxBoy! Might as well cap off that trilogy since I enjoyed the first two well enough.
Davybot

Post by Davybot »

Really enjoying playing Steam World Dig 2 and replaying Pokemon Silver.
Plus I have these games I never played before on my SNES classic.
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by blue_kirby »

I've been playing a bit of the SNES Classic lately, particularly Yoshi's Island and Kirby Super Star.
"That's embarrassing"
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

Binding of Isaac Switch Update:
Finally got around to playing again, and so far I gotta say

P R A I S E A R C E U S F O R T H E U P D A T E

Not only can I finally unlock and play with all the things from the recent booster packs, but I can finally 1,000,000% the game, thanks to Ed fixing the bug with Loki's horns!

Anyways, what did I do
I went to the Dark Room as Eve, all I need to do with her is Ultra Greedier (Hoo Boy)
I completed Delirium as Azazel, finally finishing him! I prooobably only won due to me finding Mom's Knife veeery early on (Like third floor), and also finding proptosis in the Blue Womb
I've also been unlocking a lot of Booster items just by playing, which is very very nice!

Overall I'm suuper happy with the game right now. Good stuff!
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Speaking of Isaac, I finally unlocked the Lost on my new save file. I had to break the game for that bastard. Video will be up tomorrow too.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Been playing Danganronpa V3 since it released and finally beat it last night. Overall it was quite an interesting game though the first chapter pissed me off more than any other event in the series and the end of the game is one of the weirdest things I've ever experienced in a game to the point I'd have trouble describing it even if I didn't bother avoiding spoilers.

I think monocoins may be a little bit unbalanced if you're playing on mean action and logic difficulties though. I spent most of the game maxed out and the final class trial would have put me somewhere around 1400 if it weren't for the fact that 999 is the max. (This despite the fact you can easily get 400-450 monocoins from an A rank on mean difficulty and another 200 during the chapter itself.)

The life mechanic is quite interesting though. It's pretty well used, especially with the back routes they added. Back routes are alternate paths through a given act of a class trial where you could pass that act with proper evidence but you can also lie to get through it. I accidentally stumbled across one during a class trial where the only thing I could come up with between the available truth bullets and available refute/consent points was to lie regarding one of them. Turned out that wasn't the proper way and I passed it using a back route though. (The second back route during the second case iirc.)
Davybot wrote: 6 years agoReally enjoying playing Steam World Dig 2
Is it as good as the original was? I wasn't expecting a sequel but I'm pretty interested in it. Only passed on it so far because I've been busy with Danganronpa V3.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

just played a left 4 dead campaign for the first time in at least five years

got wrecked, but it felt pretty good.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Played about 2 hours of The End is Nigh.
Edmund Mcmillen apparently got through development, announcement, and launch of this game without me knowing somehow. I went in 100% blind, like literally not having seen a trailer or knowing what kind of game it was. I didn't even know if I should have a controller plugged in cause I didn't know it was a platformer. But spoilers, that's what it is. It feels a lot like a spiritual successor to Super Meat Boy.
And also I got super excited when I started up the game and my personal hero, Rich Evans, was voicing the main character.

My biggest frustrations so far:
  • Ledge grabbing can sometimes feel really random sometimes. Thankfully I managed to last-second notice one of the tutorial signs hidden in a random landscape that shows you can hang off a ledge you're standing on by holding the crouch button and walking off (came in super handy for the "Denial" game cartridge I found). But jumping to one from the air can be really difficult sometimes, and it's hard to tell where you should be aiming. It's especially frustrating when you're supposed to grab a ledge that has spikes on top of it, which is seemingly an intended mechanic.
  • Swimming physics are really weird and kind of nonsensical
  • Everything is black, or a dark shade of grey/brown. I get that's the art style but it makes figuring out what's part of the level and what's part of the background. I had multiple cases where I kept falling into holes because I couldn't differentiate between foreground and background. I also found a place with a bunch of Steven heads or something (that is, Steven from Time Fcuk) which were dead circles, but they were integrated into the land which was also black so it was really hard to tell what was land and what was death. Maybe that was the intention, but it was a bit frustrating.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

"The Unknown," those levels full of tumorous dude-faces are definitely meant to have zany unintelligible ground vs hurtboxes. It gets worse in some of the harder ones, but only ever in one section at a time. Not like death counts matter anyways for rational people, so you can scout places in the worst case scenario
There's also at least one instance of a safe platform almost completely overwritten by a hurt object which you can only see if you look quite closely.
(if you want to see some cartridge locations or just gameplay i've got a thread in let's play!)
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I'm probably gonna stay blind for now, but depending on how feasible 100% completion is, I might do that.
Being an Edmund Mcmillen game, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some stupid "beat x world without dying" achievement that will turn me off that idea completely.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

There's a steam achievement for beating the introduction level (during the cutscene) without dying (as dying cuts to the beginning of the game). 100% is relatively doable but there's a final tier of completion up to 159% or something obscene like that
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Whatever the number percentage maxes out to is the real 100%
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago Whatever the number percentage maxes out to is the real 100%
I would literally bet 100 dollars against just about anyone being able to true 100% that game
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I beat Bye-Bye BoxBoy! but am working on completing the bonus levels. These ones kind of make you think.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Finished off The End Is Nigh.

The final escape sequence gave me a lot of trouble in... I believe it's the 3rd to last screen? One where you have to dunk yourself in the acid and quickly swim under the spikes. I spent like a minute there, finally finished it with like 10 seconds remaining or something, and got to the last screen with 1 second left before dying as soon as I could see the end. Finished it fine with like 2 minutes to spare on my second try, but damn was the first one close.
It did, however, allow me to appreciate that the music is timed to be exactly 6 minutes long and ends perfectly as the explosion goes off.
That's a really neat effect.

My plan now is to go finish off the cartridges I haven't beaten (I'm now done 2/3 I had not completed after finishing the main game) and then clean up the rest of the collectibles/cartridges. All that I can, anyway.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

Binding of Isaac Switch Update:
FINALLY finished Apollyon, and I gotta say, I'm pretty sure my game hates Apollyon. Every time I tried to get to Delirium, I'd either die really quickly, or have extremely bad luck with items. But the finishing Delirium run was different.
I got an item room with Tech 0 in it, which already makes the run amazing, but what helped especially was finding Abaddon, Scythe tears in the Hush room, Incubus in a Devil room, and Box of Friends in the Shop on the Hush floor. Perfect run for destroying Isaac's sanity.
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago Finished off The End Is Nigh.

The final escape sequence gave me a lot of trouble in... I believe it's the 3rd to last screen? One where you have to dunk yourself in the acid and quickly swim under the spikes. I spent like a minute there, finally finished it with like 10 seconds remaining or something, and got to the last screen with 1 second left before dying as soon as I could see the end. Finished it fine with like 2 minutes to spare on my second try, but damn was the first one close.
It did, however, allow me to appreciate that the music is timed to be exactly 6 minutes long and ends perfectly as the explosion goes off.
That's a really neat effect.

My plan now is to go finish off the cartridges I haven't beaten (I'm now done 2/3 I had not completed after finishing the main game) and then clean up the rest of the collectibles/cartridges. All that I can, anyway.
getting the cart in that final rush is one of the most epic moments of gaming.

also have you found the sixth level in the Future yet, because if the gap to the left of Acceptance isn't obvious enough, it exists.

Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I've just been clearing out the the stages in the past so far. I found all the regular stage tumors on my own, but I'm using a guide for the locations of the mega tumors and cartridges cause some of them are hidden so stupidly and I'm really not interested in doing the same precise platforming sections over and over again because they kinda just change the rules to hide some of them.
My least favorite so far was the second mega tumor in Retrograde:

Like, there's no logical reason to try that. Even after using the guide to just get the location to know that it was on that screen, I had to actually read the description after screwing around there for 10 minutes trying to figure out what you're supposed to do. Not only are there plenty of other areas in the game with similar setups (with forever spawning platforms going into or coming out of an area) that I had tried entering and were just solid invisible walls, but the screen transition doesn't make any physical sense. It ends up just launching you up into the next screen because of the fact that it makes no sense. The velocity you have exiting that screen doesn't match up with the velocity you have leaving because if it followed the game's rules you'd just be killed after making a jump like that.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Oh my god, Edmund Mcmillen really likes to keep topping himself on the ridiculous garbage he expects you to do for 100%.

The Super Mega Cart is already a thing on its own. I got like halfway through world 7 on the one attempt I did. But my god, the idea of doing all 1000 rings and/or without using any continues? Jesus christ man. Why do you hate completionists so much?

edit: There's achievements for doing this stuff without dying too?!
Zha Hong Lang

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

The 100% achievement status is nigh
I hate the achievements in Edmund McMillen's games so much that now I don't even bother. Screw trying to complete whatever arbitrary task he comes up with that doesn't encourage fun gameplay in the slightest.

I also didn't buy End Is Nigh anyway, the game looks like it takes what I found to be the least interesting aspects of meat boy (shallow story with exaggerated nihilistic themes, repetitive platforming, stupidly hidden items) and focuses almost exclusively on them. It has split paths which is cool in and of itself, but I don't really think that adds a lot of value to a game in this vein of platforming.
(Formerly Jayoshi)