(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bean
Yep.

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Bean »

I'm playing some short games while getting back in shape. Blaster Master Zero was all right, and Mighty Gunvolt Burst is the same way. Bosses in the latter are kind of tough with the default weapon, but I want to see how far I can go like that. I also finished recording Mega Man 2.5D yesterday. I'll try to get that back up and running near the end of the month.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I beat FE1 and moved onto New Mystery of the Emblem on the DS. Not exactly a fan of the graphics or music, but oh well. Then after I (probably) beat FE12, I on't know what I'll do... I have a few games that I have started but not finished.
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

rena wrote: 6 years ago the third star ocean game on ps2 is the best game ever created
Sounds fun. Thanks for your suggestion. T.T It's hard to play PS2 games on my computer. :D My computer is 10-year-old..
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

Binding of Isaac Switch Update: Beat the "Beans" challenge, and I feel pretty good about it. Next up, "The Guardian".
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

I just discovered Deadly Rooms of Death and am having a puzzle-solving-dungeon-crawl blast.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

help I'm dying a lot to these stupid horse guys with Maragi
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Man Axiom Verge is pretty much Metroid to the tee, even the annoying scavenging throughout the entire map to get every item there is for 100%

The weapon variety is pretty rad, especially at the beginning of the game. However, once you get the 20+ weapon mark you kind of stick to your most overpowered weapon and don't really play much with the rest of the weapons you find (i.e the overpowered as heck flamethrower).

The

secret worlds

are also a pain to find, seeing as they are randomly hidden in a different location with each save file.

Pretty neat tho altogether. I think I should've stopped playing when I beat the final boss the first time, as collecting everything else in the game wasn't really worth the experience.

Think I'm gonna play Thomas was Alone next.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Played through Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim recently after having forgotten I'd gotten it when it released on Gog because I was playing through the Hyperdimension series. I like the story but the fact it was the first of the modern era Ys games REALLY shows. It's exceptionally grindy and doesn't feel all that well balanced. Also advancing the story all too frequently amounts to "talk to literally everybody until you finally find the one person who can help you advance" which is always fun. I wouldn't mind the required level grinding quite so much except for one very important detail: If you are not strong enough you flat out cannot damage enemies. You'd think this might only be an issue if you're speedrunning through the game but as it turns out, it's an issue regardless really. You can get lost in a dungeon for quite awhile trying to explore it thoroughly or simply find your way through and have no issues with the boss only to get a short way into the next area of the game before having to go grind for levels because you can't damage things.

Also some of the jumps in the game are just infuriating. Quite a few of them require last second jumps but the floor near the edge of the ledge angles away from you so you try moving and jump and it doesn't take because you're airborne suddenly. Though there's one in particular which was just a rather tight jump that pissed me off. I got it on my very first try. Then game overed. And took five tries before I finally succeeded. This doesn't seem like much until you realize that it takes a good minute and a half (if you ignore enemies) to get back and attempt it again.

I hope that Celceta, SEVEN, VIII, and V (when it's remade) all get pc ports. The series really is good even if the mechanics are a bit spotty on occasion.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago Played through Ys VI: Ark of Napishtim recently
Agree with you on most parts, Ys 6 is kind of a weird game. I feel like every time Falcom tries to do an "open" kind of game it ends up being unbalanced and all over the place. As you mentioned it may be for a good part because of their damage calculations, where a single level up makes a whole world of difference and where you cannot do any damage before having that one speetspot in terms of strength. Doubly so in this game because of the weapon upgrades. It works in linear games because it only punishes you for actively avoiding fighting, but not so much here.
Also this game is one of my favorites in the series in terms of music. I love the boss theme and the Depth Napishtim in particular.

About the jump thing,

I don't know if you figured it out because IIRC it's not explained anywhere in-game, but you can do a long jump with a specific command kind of like the armor break one in Origin (tap direction, release, then attack). It might even be the same one but with jump instead of attack. It helps for those weirdly tight jumps and I even thought some of them were downright impossible with a normal jump !

I'm waiting for YS 8's pc port, it should be released in a few months now. Unfortunately from what we've seen so far NISA's translation is awful as usual, hopefully the game itself will be playable.

Alice

Post by Alice »

Jesuiscontent wrote: 6 years agoAgree with you on most parts, Ys 6 is kind of a weird game. I feel like every time Falcom tries to do an "open" kind of game it ends up being unbalanced and all over the place. As you mentioned it may be for a good part because of their damage calculations, where a single level up makes a whole world of difference and where you cannot do any damage before having that one speetspot in terms of strength. Doubly so in this game because of the weapon upgrades. It works in linear games because it only punishes you for actively avoiding fighting, but not so much here.
To be fair to them one of the enemies I was having issues damaging apparently required an accessory because it counts as armored. Though to be fair to me the enemy is a freaking cave bat that appears in fairly large and fast moving swarms so even if you knew the accessory existed it's not exactly logical to expect it to affect these things.
Also this game is one of my favorites in the series in terms of music. I love the boss theme and the Depth Napishtim in particular.
Music is generally one of the strong points of any Ys game. Agreed though on both those specific tracks being quite good.
About the jump thing,

I don't know if you figured it out because IIRC it's not explained anywhere in-game, but you can do a long jump with a specific command kind of like the armor break one in Origin (tap direction, release, then attack). It might even be the same one but with jump instead of attack. It helps for those weirdly tight jumps and I even thought some of them were downright impossible with a normal jump !

I only found out about this after having finished the game and looking up a faq for stuff I knew I'd missed. It's an incredibly unintuitive method of jumping and I'm not sure I'd have gotten it even if they'd explained it in the game. Luckily I was at least able to pull off all necessary jumps I'd come across. Though some of them were serious pains. There's one in the Ruins of Lost Time where there's a set of stairs going up and at the top of the stairs you can drop off the left side to another platform lower down. Under this platform to the right is a chest but the platform you land on is broken so you'd have to jump. Since you can't control the camera you have no way of even telling how far a jump it even is to make it over the gap. I'm sure that jump method or maybe even the Ericcil's attack skill would have worked better (though I only figured out that could be useful for getting over gaps rather late in the game) would have made it far easier but you can just barely make the jump normally if you drop down to the broken bit of the ledge, edge over as far as you can, and hit jump and right at the same moment. Though you have a good chance of simply walking off the ledge regardless.

Also the game randomly glitched for me it seems. I started the game up again after having looked at that faq I mentioned because I found out I missed an optional boss. I figured I wouldn't be able to reach it because both my main save and backup save were inside the Ark. After that I'd entertained the idea of starting a new game and went into the new game menu. Note that I beat the game on normal difficulty in about 19 hours. The new game menu on the other hand seems to think I beat it on nightmare difficulty in ~208 hours.
https://i.imgur.com/WX0SjRg.png
https://i.imgur.com/W9ve920.jpg
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

So Mighty Gunvolt Burst was a solid game. You go through levels to find equipment and get a choice of one of three items for clearing a stage as the game's designed for replayability. It's kind of like Mega Man Zero with a score attack style, but unlike how the Gunvolt games do it, you're just meant to rack up close-quarters kill chains. I really dig the idea, and it does a good job at making the Mighty No. boss levels fun to play.

My word was facing them with the default equipment setup hard as heck in that final stage, though. Way more fun to get your skills set like double jumps, being able to shoot through terrain, or having elemental weaknesses with larger bullets to go to town. Totally recommend it, but it's challenging.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

I beat the 4th Palace in Persons 5.
Other than the lack of enemy variety, it's definitely my favorite Palace so far.
It was nice after the very meh 3rd Palace.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

So, a PC port of De Blob 2 launched the same day of the Steam Summer Sale. Picked it up today, and finished the first level.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Alice

Post by Alice »

Decided to replay Ys: Oath in Felghana on nightmare after Ark of Napishtim. It's definitely a lot better balanced in general but jesus christ are the Illburn Ruins a lot more annoying than they should be. I ended up having to book it through the first couple areas because the stupid owls have this divebomb attack that causes a shockwave when it hits the ground. This alone isn't a problem. The actual issue comes from the fact that the shockwave attack ends after it looks like it should so it's easy to get hit by it when it seems safe. Which results in like 37 damage when I only had around 120hp.

And there's these little flying torch dealies. They're a lot easier than the owls in general but they have this issue where if they charge in a straight line and you get stuck on them they deal pretty ridiculous damage rather quickly. An enormous issue when your attacks don't make them flinch but theirs make you flinch which also stops you from even moving for a split second making it more difficult to get out of the way. I ended up having to make a bee line through the first two areas and grinding on later enemies a bit for a level. Then I found a piece of armor (shield I think) and some ore to temper my equipment and got another level on my way back out which had me set fairly well.

After that things went pretty smoothly until the volcano area. First off are those swarms of beetles. Before the first boss there's only one spot you can run into them but holy hell are they absurd. I game overed to them several times while trying to reach the chest in the same room as them because they would literally pin me up against the wall and I could not do anything at all. They only dealt 3-7 damage per hit while I had around 140hp at the time but that means little when you cannot escape them and can't kill them either. My weapon dealt like 3 damage to them and my fire spell was reasonably effective at 30ish damage but they had 175hp which means around 6 hits to kill them.

The biggest issue, however, was the damned dragon thing in the fire lake. Holy christ that boss was frustrating. It moves faster than you, has a weak spot that looks like something you should avoid, has several pools of lava arranged around the room making the arena a lot more cramped than it looks, and has some wonderful buggy behavior. Most notably the fact you can get stuck on its face similar to the torch enemies I mentioned earlier. Oh and this enemy likes to charge right at you in a straight line. When this happens your only hope is to do a rising attack and just tank the 30-40 damage you'll take from that because that's a far better proposition than it draining all or most of your health. It took me about an hour and a half to beat the stupid thing because every time I got a good run it seemed to piss the boss off because then it would impressively reliably make a bee line for me with its head and I'd get stuck on it. (And wow was my last run close... I had 7hp to the boss' 2hp at the end. And there were several missed attacks from my end that either landed me right on the edge of a lava pool or had me certain I should have taken a hit.)

And then after beating it I took a whopping twelve minutes (including two game overs) to finish exploring the place and make it to the next boss. I gave up on that one after immediately turning around (I forgot it was that close to the other boss) and actually finishing my level up from the last boss fight then gave it a few tries which culminated in two fantastic runs where it flipped both rows of panels to spikes leaving me with a tiny area to safely move on the far side hoping it would decide to flip on of the rows back over. I am not doing that today. Not after how long that stupid lava dragon took.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I beat FE12. Fun, but I really did not like its graphical style, especially the battle sprites. I came to like the music, but still prefer the FE3 versions for remixes.
Back to FF2. At Kashuan Castle. Playing the NES version
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

The recent announcement of the Superstar Saga remake has me super excited so I kinda want to go back and play through Dream Team again because I remember next to nothing about it and also I haven't touched my 3DS in forever. I don't know if I'll actually do it though.

Most recently I've been playing DarkMaus which is basically a top-down Dark Souls ripoff (yeah I know we call all these games Souls-like but like, you can tell they started with Dark Souls as a base) and it's kinda fun I guess but I don't think the combat translates very well into the top-down format. Especially when you're trying to fight with an ally NPC and you keep hitting them because they get in the way until you accidentally aggro them and are forced to kill them. And shielding just makes no sense. I don't know, it seems like the Souls-style combat just doesn't work for it.
BuzzNBen
First name: Ben

Post by BuzzNBen »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago The recent announcement of the Superstar Saga remake has me super excited so I kinda want to go back and play through Dream Team again because I remember next to nothing about it and also I haven't touched my 3DS in forever. I don't know if I'll actually do it though.
How funny, because that's what I'm playing right now. :lol: I've played through Superstar Saga so many times, but only Dream Team once (back when it came out in 2013).
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

BuzzNBen wrote: 6 years ago
Ashan wrote: 6 years ago The recent announcement of the Superstar Saga remake has me super excited so I kinda want to go back and play through Dream Team again because I remember next to nothing about it and also I haven't touched my 3DS in forever. I don't know if I'll actually do it though.
How funny, because that's what I'm playing right now. :lol: I've played through Superstar Saga so many times, but only Dream Team once (back when it came out in 2013).
Exact same for me. I used to rent Superstar Saga all the time from the video store back in the day (I don't know why my parents wasted their money renting it all those times when they could have just bought me the game and saved money) and wrote about it in my journal at school. I bet that game did a pretty big help for my reading comprehension since it was so text-heavy and I was about that age. I played through it again a year or 2 ago and was surprised how easy it was. I didn't really "get" RPGs being a 6/7-year-old so I avoided enemy battles I thought would be too hard, and I also didn't know you could choose what to level on the level up screen. I just mashed A through it and ended up leveling nothing but health until I got to the piranha plant boss on the airport tarmac and I literally couldn't beat it because it healed faster than I could output damage. Incidentally, the Japanese release of Superstar Saga added a D-pad or something to the level up screen to show you could move lakitu's stat selector because it was so unclear what was going on.

And yeah, Dream Team I played when it came out and never again. I remember liking the overworld stuff but all the side-scrolling dream stuff was pretty bland and repetitive. I think that's what's kept me from playing it again.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

There's that, and the fact that it's about as long as all of the three previous M&L games combined. I like it, but that's a tough replay for being a 40-ish hour RPG.

Tried out ARMS on the Switch with my bro. I don't think it's for me, but I can see why people like it. It was more fun with motion controls which is a rarity for me to say, and that's all I've got.
Last edited by Bean 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Oh yeah, I totally forgot Dream Team was ridiculously long. It's my second most-played 3DS game, behind OoT3D only because I did multiple playthroughs of that game, including 100%.

I played like an hour and 15 minutes of it so far. The tutorial is kind of insufferably long. Like, 45 minutes into the game was when it was teaching me how to doing platforming on the overworld. There's just so much dialogue, and so many unnecessary tutorials.
I also decided to play on hard mode. Not sure if I'm gonna kick myself for that later. The first "real" boss in the game (the 4 purple flame ball guys) almost made me game over. I guess we'll see how it goes.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks

Post by BurntTenda »

My biggest problem with Dream Team was that it felt like a tutorial almost the entire way through.
My favorite in the series is Bowser's Inside Story. I've probably put 150-200 hours into it.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I definitely know what you're talking about. I've played a bit over 3 hours today and I just got to the bros. attack tutorial.

It seems like for this game in particular they accidentally hired like 6 times more writers than they needed. And they didn't know what to do with all them, so they just wrote a bunch of useless dialogue. Like, there's just nonstop useless cutscenes and tutorials for incredibly obvious things.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

I mean, Dream Team was really long, but I still really enjoyed it! There should be an option to remove tutorials, especially if you're in hard mode, as it's the second time you'll be playing the game, and you know how everything works.
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

So yeah, got my first game over 5 hours in (Bowser/Antasma fight in Deep Dream). Beat him on my second attempt though.

I'm finding the main source of difficulty is coming from how much damage enemies do. Every attack the enemy landed in that fight dealt like 3/4 of my max HP so I spent a lot of time wasting turns healing. And that can only last you so long since each item has a max capacity of 10 in hard mode. And honestly I don't mind the game challenging me that much, because it means I can't just tank through fights and actually have to learn enemy movesets. But what REALLY pisses me off is you can't skip cutscenes. you have to mash B and A through dialogue and sit through character animations and all that boring stuff. How could they have no resolved that after a decade?

But anyway I think the game is getting more fun now that it's a bit of a challenge.
And also this hard mode is making me really hope the Superstar Saga remake has a hard mode. I think that could go a really long way in keeping it fresh.
ChibiRainbow

Post by ChibiRainbow »

World of Warcraft (PC)