(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bean
Yep.

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Bean »

Streetpass Mii Plaza had an update yesterday that brought in five new games. I got one of the two free ones, Slot Car Rivals, and messed around in that for a bit. The BlueBmr will not be stopped. Thinking about getting the others since I thought the fishing and survival games that came with the last update were real fun.

Oh, that and I beat Mighty No. 9 on Hyper Mode for reasons I can't fathom. That's enough of that one for me. Back to better games.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Played through all of the LISA games. Pretty dark and bleak universe it has and touches on a lot of darker themes. Won't comment on Lisa: The First since talking much about it is a spoiler.

Lisa: The Painful (which is simply called Lisa) is the main one everyone starts on it seems. The premise of this one; The protagonist, Brad, a middle aged balding man who had an abusive father and is suffering from a drug withdrawal, finds an infant laying in the middle of a wasteland who happens to be the last known female left in the world. Brad decides to keep her a secret from the world and raise her with a few friends. One day when Brad returns home, the girl and his friends are missing, and Brad goes to find her.

Then there's Lisa: The Joyful, which like the first is spoilery even talking about.

Interesting series and really neat soundtrack, especially Lisa: The Joyful's soundtrack. Certainly recommended. Well written and has an Earthbound vibe.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Trying to finish up the main game of Kirby: Planet Robobot at long last. Lost a few lives today by being slow on the uptake in some puzzle rooms and restarting, but almost there now. No clue why I kept putting this one off for as long as I did, but yeah. This game's awesome.

Edit: Holy... That's an ending, all right. Ha-ha. Right up there with Triple Deluxe as my favorite Kirby game. No surprise since I love this gameplay engine.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I started playing AM2R, and my face is being murderized by the Zeta Metroids.

That Torizo with a jetpack was hilarious and dumb.

Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

i just got a dreamcast (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA)
what should i put on my wishlist
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

THERE

VIP 1, ALL LEVELS EXCEPT FOR THE SECOND "SO ____ IT'S _____" and "Missingno." CLEAR

TOOLLESS
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ninja Steve
No Bonus!?
Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Ninja Steve »

I've been alternating between doing stuff in Final Fantasy 14 and trying to 1cc Embodiment of Scarlet Devil on Hard, which is not going particularly well.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Trying to design a stage in Mega Man Powered Up right now. There's a reason why I don't enter these level creation contests. It's hard work, even when the game provides you with a level editor that is easy to use. I think I'm just going to go with what I have in my head, test it, and then go back and edit it a few times over to make sure it's halfway decent. You all that do this stuff regularly, you have my respect.

Also down to just having a couple of stickers and The True Arena left in Robobot for an 100% file.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

In my continuing journey through FF3, I gained an airship sometime after fighting skullface mcphaseshift and am now heading out and exploring, I'm currently nearish to the third crystal but who knows how close I am.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

I finished the GBA port of SMB3, using a double-patched ROM that both enabled the 38 e-Reader stages, as well as removed the voice clips. Pure bliss. JUST-A WHAT I NEEDED!

As usual, long post, so.
First, I played through the main game. There are a few differences, as it turns out, albeit not *many*. The spade panel game was revamped; if you match anything, they become heart panels, where the star is replaced with a super leaf worth a 7-up. Match anything again, and they become club panels, where the star/leaf is replaced with a huge 3, and matching *that* gets you a 10-up. Match anything on *that*, and they change to diamond panels, which are nothing *but* giant 3s, so you're guaranteed at 10-up. After that, or if you miss matching anything on any others, they turn back to spade panels. I had to abuse savestates to see how this worked, because as raocow likes to say, those things are "literally impossible". :P One world map path on world 6 was also changed. Rather than the mushroom house being accessible only by beating stage 6-5, the path is now to the left, so you can access the house without doing either stage, and it's totally optional which you do (or if you're like me, you do both).

As for the game itself... well, it's SMB3. We've probably all played it a thousand times. The 360 controller (I don't know if it's just mine, but both did the same thing) had a problem where up and down on the d-pad don't register unless you press *straight* up or down; slightly to the right or left has you move in that direction, and it, needless to say, lost me a few lives, to the point where if heavy climbing or sliding/ducking was required, I'd give myself save states to help get through it.

As an added challenge to myself, I made sure to get the white mushroom house in every world, since I'd never done that before. It's a reasonable challenge on worlds 1-5, but it starts to get silly on world 6, and is downright awful in world 7. World 6's is an erratic auto-scroller with donut blocks (many of which you have to let fall, grab coins beneath them, then quickly jump to safety) and ice, and you need a fire flower in order to get a bunch of frozen coins at the end, meaning you can't even use a leaf to make the stage easier... and then I had to redo the stage when the house didn't appear, even though I did it perfectly... or so I thought. Turns out I missed an invisible coin block near the end. I'm not sure if you *have* to grab the koopa and turn it into a coin by hitting the goal, but that's what I did, and with that and the invisible coin block, I got it. All that for an anchor. No wonder I never did it before.

As for world 7, you *need* a Frog Suit in order to be able to swim fast enough to get all the coins in the underwater section after hitting a P-Switch. It's essentially trading a Frog Suit for a P-Wing, and it's not a *bad* trade, but it illustrates some very poor design. Since there's no direct saving, you can't exit stages or repeat completed stages, and Frog Suits are in short supply, if you mess up, that's pretty much that. You basically get one chance to get the thing, and if you mess up, sucks to be you. And it's not entirely easy, either, since you have to jump out of the water repeatedly to get the coins, and it's *very* easy to miss some. I put a save state before the stage to ensure I got it. What a colossal pain, after the rest of them were tough but fair.

One neat thing is that after beating the game, you get a sort of New Game+. You can select any world, you keep all your stored items, and completed stages' map icons change from blue to yellow, which means you can pass over them freely, exit them from the pause menu, and even replay them when you clear them. Even sprite-based stages, like Hammer Bros., don't pull you in. It's definitely a nice touch. I might go through it again with some of the e-Reader game-modifying "switches" active (via PAR codes) and see how the game differs with them. Definitely adds some replay value to an already loaded game.

After that, it was time for the e-Reader stages. Hoo man, those were, for the most part, great. There were a few stinkers, but on the whole, they were a lot of fun, had a lot of variety, and it's irksome that Nintendo tied them to an ill-conceived "physical DLC" gimmick, which rendered them unplayable to a small select few who happened to have two GBAs and a link cable... and of which only ten were released in North America. Which is still an improvement over European gamers, who got diddly squat. Great job, there, big N.

There were several typical SMB3-ish romps, but many of the extra stages incorporated elements from other games in the series. SMB2 vegetables, SMW enemies (I was caught *completely* off guard by the sudden appearance of our old friend Charlie in one of the earlier stages) and actual, fully functional Cape Feathers, the Yoshi's Island one-way "flippers", and numerous other gimmicks. Unless it was introduced in some later game I'm unaware of, this was also seemingly where the "Tanooki Suit reveals invisible blocks" gimmick in SMBX came from, which blew my mind.

The stages themselves are, for the most part, fairly easy, since you replay completed stages and exit any stage at any time, allowing you to easily power up, but the challenge comes from gathering A-Coins and the occasional e-Coin. The former are basically Dragon Coins, and collecting all of them in one attempt gives you a 1-up, but there can be anywhere from 1-5 per stage. The game keeps track of how many you have, and once you get 30, 50, and 80 total, you unlock mushroom houses around the World-e map, which let you play some mini-games for inventory items. They're kinda fun, but since you can replay stages to get powerups at any time (and there are stages that give you a free Frog and Tanooki Suit, though no Hammer Suit, unfortunately), and I never got a P-Wing or Hammer Suit from these games (maybe you can and they're just rare, but I didn't, so...), they're kind of superfluous. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any kind of reward for collecting *every* A-Coin, and the e-Coins don't seem to do anything at all except be on display in the e-Castle. Still, it was a nice fun challenge to get them all.

Though most stages were great, there were a few that felt decidedly "ROM hack-y", such as not one, but *two* stages made up of nothing but note blocks, stages where you had to fight *two* Boom-Booms (fortunately, unlike Mario Adventure or other ROM hacks that utilize multiple Boom-Booms, only the last one defeated drops the ?-orb, so you don't have to worry about accidentally grabbing one and the remaining one killing you during the victory fanfare), a couple irritating "constantly run, jumping occasionally to get stuff or avoid enemies, because there's next to no time", and a few stages with SMW enemies or obstacles that were... really not designed to be tackled with SMB3 gameplay. You *really* miss the ability to spin-jump when dealing with them. Still, these were a small minority. Maybe five or six stages out of 38, which isn't a bad ratio at all. I highly recommend any fan of SMB3 give them a shot.

Oddly, videos and FAQs I've seen of the stages have them shown in a different order and with different stage names than the ones in the patch I'm using. I'm... not quite sure why that *is*, since it *should* be essentially the same data. But there you go. And unfortunately, romhacking.net was forced (by Nintendo, surprise surprise) to take down the patch. Still, should be easily found via Google, and if anyone really wants, I could supply the patch.

Phew. End of post. Finally. I ramble.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

From recording, I can say that World 5 through World 7 had some very tricky coin goals for the White Mushroom house. That dang Fire Chomp in 5-5 screwed me up more than I'd care to admit. World 7 was more because I'd get the coins but forget to show off a pipe or something. World 6 was just straight up difficult in general since you need to get every coin.

My stage is coming along. Trying to battle through a slight down spell to get this thing done in a day or two to be able to finish this project.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

YelseyKing wrote:Unless it was introduced in some later game I'm unaware of, this was also seemingly where the "Tanooki Suit reveals invisible blocks" gimmick in SMBX came from, which blew my mind.
I'm almost certain that's where it came from. One of my friends had most of the eReader cards for the game back in high school and I clearly remember him having one of the tanooki levels so they're were in the American release. And I can't recall them appearing before that point in any games. Not that they're exactly common in future games either.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Bean wrote:From recording, I can say that World 5 through World 7 had some very tricky coin goals for the White Mushroom house. That dang Fire Chomp in 5-5 screwed me up more than I'd care to admit. World 7 was more because I'd get the coins but forget to show off a pipe or something. World 6 was just straight up difficult in general since you need to get every coin.
I didn't find world 5's *too* bad, since you *do* get a Tanooki Suit there. Fire Chomps are erratic little buggers, yeah, but the thing that caused me to mess up a few attempts was that dang hanging fire piranha plant close to that little enclosed area where there's a coin block you need to hit.

And speaking of your recording, about how close would you say you are from starting the SMB3 series on your channel? I've been eagerly awaiting that for quite a while. :P

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I have to finish this last Powered Up video first. I want to say about a month from now since I like having a few videos ready in advance in case anything goes wrong, especially since these videos are going to be longer ones.

As for the games I'm playing, I started up Strider on the PS4 since we got that through the Capcom bundle thing they had going on the other week. It's Metroid-ish with a ninja dude, and no, I've never played a game in this series before. I'm enjoying it.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

YelseyKing wrote:And unfortunately, romhacking.net was forced (by Nintendo, surprise surprise) to take down the patch. Still, should be easily found via Google, and if anyone really wants, I could supply the patch.
lol what? they targeted that one romhack on the site but none of the others? i guess nintendo's more aware of romhacking than they let on? i'm really amused by the thought of them not caring about the hacking in general, but when the patch is stealing THEIR hacked levels...!

actually, now that i remember it, i think i know why that was taken down. i'm pretty sure that patch is actually from the wii u version of the game which supplies all ereader levels. which would explain why some of the names might have been different, too. it also means one can play them officially if one can't find the patch, so they aren't lost or anything~
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Can't seem to get The True Arena completed in Kirby. After a test run to remember how all the souped up bosses fight, I managed to make it to the same spot three times and lose. The last time hurt the most since I was doing fine until I started getting hit by attacks I had never been hit by. That was a nice flop on my part then. I'll give it a few more shots. I've got a better shot of beating this than I do the one in Triple Deluxe anyway.
JeNeVeuxPas
J'ai faim

Post by JeNeVeuxPas »

Currently playing Touhou 13 and Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door. When I rage too much at Touhou I play PM to cool down lol.
Today, it's my turn!!
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Beat the final boss of the main game of Etrian Odyssey IV on my third attempt (probably could have done it on my second if I hadn't forgotten to bring my TP-restoring items :V), and am now moving on to the postgame. I have to give the designers major props on the atmosphere of the postgame dungeon; while I haven't had much trouble with the actual encounters (Arcanist bind circles + Quick Step shut down most things that could be threatening before they can move), I have a constant feeling of "oh my god I could get a party wipe at any second I should really go back to town soon".
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

I'm getting close to the end of Golden Sun: The Lost Age. I took down three of the four bonus bosses, with only Dullahan remaining. How justified am I in being... extremely worried about that fight?

Moists:

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

He's a little hard, but there are way tougher RPG bonus bosses. I think you'll do fine.

I beat Strider on the PS4 tonight. Good Metroid-like game. I watched a run of Strider 2 after that and saw how much was inspired from it. Solid title, really brief ending.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

And now I have an 100% thing on Strider after playing through hard mode while also doing a speed run in it. Neat enough, I suppose. Tomorrow is Dragon Quest VII day, although I think I'll wait before starting that up.
Alice

Post by Alice »

I've been playing Fran Bow lately. It's a pretty interesting game. The art style is kinda reminiscent of Tim Burton's stuff. Story is pretty interesting too. The basic premise reminds me quite a bit of Alice American McGee's Alice (Too much Alice on the brain apparently...) series, just with a lot less fighting since it's more of a point & click adventure.
Last edited by Alice 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Alice wrote:Alice McGee's Alice
Just wanted to single that out because it amused me. (Yes, I realize it's American McGee. That accidental redundancy just made me giggle.)

Moists:

Alice

Post by Alice »

YelseyKing wrote:Just wanted to single that out because it amused me. (Yes, I realize it's American McGee. That accidental redundancy just made me giggle.)
Lol, whoops. I didn't even notice that. I always go back over my posts and reread them for typos and weird wording before posting too.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I'm up to over 18 hours of playtime in FF3. I've reached the final dungeon. I'm gonna get my dudes to job level 99 before tackling it though. Shouldn't take too long if I use a simple trick of making a battle last enough turns. (That's how the job level in FF3 levels up, it depends on the number of turns not the XP for the battle.)
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P