(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Alice »

I've been playing Kindred Spirits On the Roof the last couple days. Actually an interesting story, better than I was expecting. Also has some seriously absurd sequences at times, the one that immediately comes to mind I can really only describe as "Scooby-Doo-esque". The game's resolution is a huge complaint though. It's only 800x600 resolution which is absurdly tiny in windowed mode on a 2560x1440 monitor. And I can't play it fullscreen because it will mess up the layout of my other monitors. And using a program to forcibly resize the window also doesn't work because apparently everything in the game is explicitly coded for 800x600 rather than the method most games seem to use where the window itself is 800x600 and everything else is just set to the window's size as a percentage or something. I don't really care if the game looked pixellated or something but at least give us the option to scale the damned window. The text's so tiny I find myself with my face far too close to the screen to actually be able to read it.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Alice wrote:I've been playing Kindred Spirits On the Roof the last couple days. Actually an interesting story, better than I was expecting. Also has some seriously absurd sequences at times, the one that immediately comes to mind I can really only describe as "Scooby-Doo-esque".
Are you talking about

Hina jumping off the second floor and catching Kiri without a scratch

? I admit it felt kind of out of place, but when you remember that the whole setting of the game is being friends with 2 ghosts it doesn't seem to far off, lol. I guess it was to underline how "athletic" Hina is, even though she doesn't seem to demonstrate any more superhuman abilities after that from what I've seen. But yeah I haven't finished it yet but it's one of the best VNs I've read (not like I read that many in the first place).

The lack of graphical options is kind of weird though, and it's too bad you can't do fullscreen because they probably expected most people to read it this way

Alice

Post by Alice »

Jesuiscontent wrote:Are you talking about

Hina jumping off the second floor and catching Kiri without a scratch

? I admit it felt kind of out of place, but when you remember that the whole setting of the game is being friends with 2 ghosts it doesn't seem to far off, lol. I guess it was to underline how "athletic" Hina is, even though she doesn't seem to demonstrate any more superhuman abilities after that from what I've seen. But yeah I haven't finished it yet but it's one of the best VNs I've read (not like I read that many in the first place).
Yup, that's the exact scene I was talking about, lol. It's actually not horribly unrealistic though. It's kinda hard on the knees and it wasn't

out a window but I've jumped from a similar height

so it's definitely doable, especially if you're as tiny and lightweight as she is.

And agreed, I'm only about 15-16 hours in or so (I literally just finished August a few minutes before this post) but it's definitely pretty good. Though it'd have to be for me to not only sink that much time into it but play it three days in a row too. Most games of any kind just don't appeal to me enough anymore to manage that even if I liked them.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Finally just completely finished Kindred Spirits. It's actually quite a decent visual novel. Really enjoyable story and some pretty well written characters, many of which I liked quite a lot. I'm actually considering replaying through everything but in actual chronological order since the order you play things in normally is a lot more nonlinear than you'd expect. It's definitely as long as people are saying too. When I really get into a story like that I'll read at a very high rate of speed but it still took me a good 22-25 hours or so (maybe more, I really haven't been keeping track. Probably more considering I said 15-16 on my last post two days ago and played a good 8-9 hours yesterday plus another 4-5 today) to complete everything.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I completed FREEDOM: Diegesis yesterday. That game probably still has a lot of secrets to find, but it felt a bit too tedious on my slow computer to play to get all of them. It had some neat references, and I noticed Alex Diener made a LP of it too some time ago. That game is not for everyone thouhg and contained some very weird things, and a story that had quite a bit of layers to it. I wonder if anyone knows what finding the FREEDOM actually does in that game.
Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Euparkeria »

Started Dust: an Elysian Tail, gifted by my friend. VERY fun gameplay. Gotta love Fidget. :3 Also got through Highly Responsive to Prayers' Jigoku route (bad continue ending), and Makai up to

Sariel's 2nd phase

, but decided to do it later because hard and long. ^_^' It's a blast to play... speaking of... the bombs annoy me because I always accidentally activate them when I slide around and shoot cards, and they're so noisy and flashy... Anyway, good first game, tried Story of Eastern Wonderland last night. Does anyone know what the 3 gameplay modes exactly do? I tried all of them, but couldn't really see much difference apart from some speed variation, I think?
Cool banner by Neutron Star!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I see no mentions of Dark Souls III in this thread. I'm disappointed.

I just finished it today and I loved it.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

Dark Souls for me seems to have reached the 'Game of Thrones' zone for me, i.e. I'm so sick of hearing about it that I'll probably never play it.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Telamon wrote:Dark Souls for me seems to have reached the 'Game of Thrones' zone for me, i.e. I'm so sick of hearing about it that I'll probably never play it.
That's how I feel about

Undertale

Sorry, Talkhaus. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Yeah, I was teetering on that edge with Undertale at one point, too, but I feel like I have enough connection to the creator from my days back at the MSPA forums that I'll still give it a shot. I haven't heard too much about it lately, which helps, too.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

SMT4. Even though it's ATLUS difficulty, I'm enjoying it very much.

I just miss the fusion grid that I had in Last Bible. Suggested Fusion is nice, but there are hidden gems in the fusion charts that just having a fusion grid would make easier to find.

(I'll edit in what I mean later; for whatever reason there are no screenshots of the fusion grid)
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

With a little more time off recently, I've been playing Secret of Mana once a week for an hour or so. It is an okay game, but I think I was expecting more fluid action for whatever reason. That's probably on me for not looking it up previously. It looks like it would be better suited for co-op in some spots, too, but I'm going solo on this one for now. It's all right.
Alice

Post by Alice »

I've been playing Factorio a fair bit the last couple days. There's a lot of waiting involved at times but it's pretty fun to design an automated factory. Though the waiting is less of an issue once you get things setup properly since you can just alt+tab out and do something else while you're waiting.
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

Instead of finishing my assignment, I wasted time playing Hearthstone. I must say, as a great MTG fan, i didn't expected such a good time. Especially that quite often only one card is needed, to change the whole board. Believe in the Heart of the Cards!
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I decided I am going to finally beat Chantelise, and I have been getting pretty close to beating the final boss, but we'll see if I can do it or not.
Kuupa
That's me on the beat, btw [:
First name: Alex
Pronouns: the male ones

Post by Kuupa »

guys i finished the original phoenix wright trilogy what am i even supposed to do with my life now
So here we are. Plays have been enacted. Empires have come and gone. The mightiest have passed away and withered, alike the least. Fires have burned, thousandfold. Yet, did not the great wind serenely continue its course? Does not the blackbird still sing its song? Does not the mistletoe still dwell in the oak's crown? Forgotten, what once has been told. Veiled, the words that once so rang out. Shrouded, like the larva in its cocoon. Let him hear it, who will.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Kuupa wrote:guys i finished the original phoenix wright trilogy what am i even supposed to do with my life now
Ghost Trick?
Zero Escape?
Danganronpa?

...The rest of the Ace Attorney games?
Alice

Post by Alice »

Alice wrote:I've been playing Factorio a fair bit the last couple days. There's a lot of waiting involved at times but it's pretty fun to design an automated factory. Though the waiting is less of an issue once you get things setup properly since you can just alt+tab out and do something else while you're waiting.
8 days later and I'm still playing. Game's pretty fun but there's definitely a lack of content in certain areas. For example power production has almost no improvements. You can research solar panels which produce very little power compared to the steam engines you start with and which only provide power during the day but don't produce pollution and you can research accumulators which store up to 5 megajoules of excess power produced by your power grid for later use but there's no actual superior power sources which becomes an issue in the late-game when you're using laser turrets which have a power drain of 2.5 megawatts while actively firing. That's 5 steam engines worth of power production. Or 42 solar panels.
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Alice wrote:
Alice wrote:Game's pretty fun but there's definitely a lack of content in certain areas. For example power production has almost no improvements.
I love how there are fusion cores that you can put in power armor, but can't power your base.

Anyway, I find the game fascinating, but can't bring myself to actually face the challenge of learning and playing it. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that I'm mainly familiar with it from Zisteau's lps of it, which are all full of these incredibly intricate bases that I could never match. Super fun game to watch though.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Telamon wrote:I love how there are fusion cores that you can put in power armor, but can't power your base.
This is actually my biggest issue with the game right now. I'm hitting the point where I need to focus on laser turrets for defense but their power demands are so absurd that I'm struggling to actually keep up with it since my only power options are steam engines or solar panels. Five steam engines can provide up to 2.55 megawatts of power and a laser turret firing constantly will draw 2.5MW of power. I'm actually looking into modding the game to add a fusion reactor that provides a megawatt of power by itself to the lategame.
Anyway, I find the game fascinating, but can't bring myself to actually face the challenge of learning and playing it. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that I'm mainly familiar with it from Zisteau's lps of it, which are all full of these incredibly intricate bases that I could never match. Super fun game to watch though.
There's a lot of intricate stuff but for a more casual player it's still totally possible. Even more so once you research logistics networks. I don't even use a lot of the advanced stuff because it's really complicated and doesn't have too much of an improvement over just using a crap load of logistics robots. (Though the roboports for logistics robots do take quite a bit of power. I have 36 roboports on my map and they idle around 10.6MW of consumption, a full quarter of my idle consumption.)

The big issue is just learning the stuff that's not actually explained clearly such as how many steam engines a single water pump can provide water for and how many boilers can provide adequate heat coverage for the same amount. There's also some things which aren't even explained adequately on the wiki either such as how the personal roboport item functions. I had to go searching around to find out that it uses construction robots that are lying in your inventory rather than providing slots for them like a normal roboport would. And this is explained nowhere in the game that I've seen nor does the wiki explain this at all either. Then there's also stuff that's not explained at all such as how accumulator storage converts into power production since it uses joules instead of the watts that steam engines and solar panels give. (After searching around a bit I found an adequate explanation though. A joule is basically storage of a watt worth of power. So if I stored 5MJ of energy in an accumulator it could provide up to 5MW total of power before it ran out of power itself. With the input/output limits on the accumulators this means that a fully charged accumulator could provide 300KW for 16.4 seconds. Though with any reasonable amounts of accumulators none of them are going to actually come anywhere close to the full 300KW.)
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Yeah, i feel like wiki-dependence is an all-to-common thing with this kind of game. I mean, my understanding is that Factorio was strongly influenced by really complicated Minecraft mods, and those are like the posterchild for flailing around on the web to try and figure things out.
kumuhmuh
local ice cream dealre

Post by kumuhmuh »

playing wario land 3 and slowly realizing that this game was literally made for me. loving it and really REALLY hoping nintendo throws the series a bone in the near-future (they won't)
Alice

Post by Alice »

Telamon wrote:Yeah, i feel like wiki-dependence is an all-to-common thing with this kind of game. I mean, my understanding is that Factorio was strongly influenced by really complicated Minecraft mods, and those are like the posterchild for flailing around on the web to try and figure things out.
To be fair, other than the weird lack of any explanations for the personal roboport and how megajoules relate to watts, the game is pretty self explanatory really. The only thing that you'd explicitly need outside help to figure out is the logic system cause it's kinda convoluted and, as far as I've seen, doesn't have an in-game tutorial to explain it just yet. (Also the console and making mods but those are beside the point.) You can easily see all available technologies from the research screen (this includes what they unlock) and you never have to guess at the requirements to craft something either. It could definitely use some improvement in spots but it's not nearly as bad as Minecraft by any means.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Rip me, lol. I like bullethell games but I'm actually pretty bad at them. I never play that sort of game enough to actually get any good at it either. Both of them sound pretty interesting however.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Alice wrote:Rip me, lol. I like bullethell games but I'm actually pretty bad at them. I never play that sort of game enough to actually get any good at it either. Both of them sound pretty interesting however.
Mushihimesama is fun. Need to pick it up myself on Steam.
Never heard of the other one.