(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by swirlybomb »

Man. A friend from work told me he was selling some of his old PS1 games, so I bought Final Fantasies 7, 9, and Tactics from him, and he even threw in an FF7 strategy guide too.

AS IF I DIDN'T ALREADY HAVE TOO MANY GAMES TO PLAY

But I've been playing some FF7 and enjoying it so far. I'm quite surprised how quickly it moves along; no faffing around with boring characters, most of the areas (so far) are only a screen or two before something else interesting happens... heck, in hardly 5 hours I'm already out of Midgar and onto the overworld. I've only really spent more-than-necessary time in a couple areas where there's an advanced weapon to be stolen from specific enemies (and trying to find Yuffie near Junon for about half an hour and not having any luck). That's certainly more than I can say for [insert slow-paced game here, probably FF13 or something].

...Though having reached Junon, I'm getting frustrated because
A) There's supposed to be the third battle at Fort Condor "before going into the water with Mr. Dolphin but before jumping up to the steel beam" (this is a time frame of about five seconds where you have to get in the water and arbitrarily leave for no reason), BUT I've tried several times and every time the Fort Condor guy tells me "naw man we're good". I have no idea what I'm doing wrong???
B) I don't get the first "act like a Shinra soldier" minigame at all apparently (jumping in line with the rows of soldiers and shouldering your gun when cued); the first time I had no idea what I was doing and got a high score, the second time I did know what to do but got a terrible score, and then I tried just flailing about and got a high score again??? what
C) Before the second "act like a Shinra soldier" minigame (pressing buttons when cued by the guy), you have to go through the entire big town of Junon to reach the boat where Rufus is being sent off. At this point in the plot it's like, "better reach that boat quickly because you're late and you'll miss it!!" but REALLY you're supposed to explore the entirety of Junon because there's a lot of items to pick up and stuff.

Good thing I'm saving multiple files so I can try these things again. Like I said, I'm enjoying the game, but this just seems like a whole lot of obtuseness in such a short time frame >_<
If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong with Fort Condor though, please let me know.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Oh man I'm only 5 stars away from getting all 120 stars in Mario Galaxy.

Screw that purple coin star in the Dreadnought Galaxy.

Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Oh man I finished up Mario Galaxy...

OR DID I?

All 120 stars. The lava galaxy in the last batch of galaxies was annoying. Oy.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
LBuncleJoe
Video games sure are!
First name: Dustin
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by LBuncleJoe »

I picked up Shadow Warrior Classic Redux during the Steam winter sale for like, 2 or 3 bucks, and I've now gotten around to giving it a try.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, this game is super dumb! Mostly in a bad way? Except for how it plays. Which is great! But, man, Lo Wang might be the must insufferable caricature I've ever had the "privilege" of playing as.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Almost done with all of the affinity missions in Xenoblade X; I think there's only two left now? Kind of sad that I got spoiled for the ending of Yelv's last mission, because dear lord that's certainly a twist. There are so many questions left unanswered by this game, and I kind of hope this means there's going to be a sequel at some point.

Also I had the most uninteresting fight ever in another mission. The enemy used exclusively electric attacks, so with full sets of the appropriate armour it was barely denting me or Alexa, but it also had a ton of health and took absolutely forever to go down. (Although it probably didn't help that Alexa was ten levels lower than it and was using completely outdated gear, or that my other two party members spent most of the battle unconscious on the ground due to not wearing anti-electric armour.)
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Wow. It's been a while since I've made a legit "what game am I playing" post here. I need to get back to that. 'twas fun.

Anyhow, I figured out my problem with Axiom Verge (a faulty Windows theme, of all things, was interfering with it), so I've been playing that. Fun game so far; *very* Metroid inspired, though it's interesting the directions that the creator took in trying to make it different. Amusingly, only a fairly short ways in, and I actually found a weapon that Pink missed in her blind run. So yay for that or something. Might be interesting to see raocow do an LP of that game sometime. Seems like it'd be right up his alley, honestly.

I've also tried out Dust: An Elysian Tail. Seems pretty fun so far; I like the fast-paced hack-n-slashy combat, and the art style is gorgeous. I can see why it has a reputation as a "furry" game, though, but that doesn't really bother me or anything. Admittedly, I'm not very far (just reached the village, and triggered a bunch of quests), but it definitely has shows some potential early on.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

YelseyKing wrote:I've also tried out Dust: An Elysian Tail. Seems pretty fun so far; I like the fast-paced hack-n-slashy combat, and the art style is gorgeous. I can see why it has a reputation as a "furry" game, though, but that doesn't really bother me or anything. Admittedly, I'm not very far (just reached the village, and triggered a bunch of quests), but it definitely has shows some potential early on.
It only has a reputation as a furry game because people are extremely stupid. It's a furry game in exactly the same way as Disney's Robin Hood movie or shows like Looney Tunes are furry movies/cartoons. As in not even remotely unless you're brain dead.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Alice wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:I've also tried out Dust: An Elysian Tail. Seems pretty fun so far; I like the fast-paced hack-n-slashy combat, and the art style is gorgeous. I can see why it has a reputation as a "furry" game, though, but that doesn't really bother me or anything. Admittedly, I'm not very far (just reached the village, and triggered a bunch of quests), but it definitely has shows some potential early on.
It only has a reputation as a furry game because people are extremely stupid. It's a furry game in exactly the same way as Disney's Robin Hood movie or shows like Looney Tunes are furry movies/cartoons. As in not even remotely unless you're brain dead.
Just to clear things up, I didn't actually mean anything negative by that. I'm not one of those people who points and laughs at furries, and it didn't deter me from giving the game a shot in the slightest. That comment was meant more along the lines of "I've heard this about the game, and okay, kinda sorta, but it's not really a big deal either way". I concede that I probably didn't really need to bring that up, though, and I do apologize if anyone took offense. Like I said, I haven't played too long yet, so these are just some first impression on my part.

Then again, I read too much TV Tropes. i.e. the place where they overthink and assign often nonsensical "alternate meanings" to everything.

Moists:

Alice

Post by Alice »

YelseyKing wrote:Just to clear things up, I didn't actually mean anything negative by that. I'm not one of those people who points and laughs at furries, and it didn't deter me from giving the game a shot in the slightest. That comment was meant more along the lines of "I've heard this about the game, and okay, kinda sorta, but it's not really a big deal either way". I concede that I probably didn't really need to bring that up, though, and I do apologize if anyone took offense. Like I said, I haven't played too long yet, so these are just some first impression on my part.

Then again, I read too much TV Tropes. i.e. the place where they overthink and assign often nonsensical "alternate meanings" to everything.
Ah, I should be clear. I'm not getting on you for that. I just find the sorts who consider it actually a furry game (which is a lot of people sadly, many of which avoid even giving the game a chance because of it) to be really dumb since by their definition of furry I apparently grew up watching furry cartoons and such, lol.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

That reminds me that I still haven't played through Dust: Elysian Tail yet.

Games I'm not currently playing, but did recently play is Pony Island.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Just finished Axiom Verge, and I have to say, I'm impressed. It's one of the best indie Metroidvanias I've played, and I've played quite a few. Probably because it went straight for the Metroid half, which is generally much easier to pull off more effectively than the -vania half (usually due to somewhat clunky level systems in the latter). Basically, the whole thing felt... well, you know how we've seen a bunch of game creators break off from their companies and make "Expy" versions of their original games? (Mighty No. 9*/Megaman, Yooka-Laylee/Banjo-Kazooie, Bloodstained/Castlevania) Well, Axiom Verge felt like Gunpei Yokoi rose from the grave and went indie, because it's basically pure Metroid without Samus or her usual array of powerups.

If I had some criticism of the game, it's that it didn't feel quite as, I dunno, *cohesive* as the legit 2D Metroids, with there not being a great deal of overall variety between most regions. Also, the plot is just flat out *bizarre* at times, and I was having some trouble following it. The ending only raises more questions. Finally, the game is... well, it's not very difficult at all. The final boss was an absolute joke (I was really expecting a twist, followed by a tougher "True Final Boss", but no, that was it.) In fact, the bosses in general were pretty mediocre on the whole, and could be fairly easily beaten just by button mashing. A far cry from the complex and epic boss fights that usually feature in Metroid games, really.

Mind, I can't guarantee anyone will like the game as much as I did. I'm just a huge sucker for the 2D Metroid formula, and this one did a great job of making me feel like I was playing a Metroid game.

As for how well I did... 100% items and map, though I didn't find all the secret areas. After combing over several areas -- using a map of their potential locations, at that -- and coming up empty, I just said the hell with it and just finished the game.

*As an aside, has Mighty No. 9 actually been released yet?

"Metroid" count in this post: 7

Moists:

Bedlam
mega cool super
First name: [insert word]lam
Pronouns: guy/man/bob.

Post by Bedlam »

I been playing a lot of Saint's Row 3 lately, it's aweful fun to smash through other bikers on,the road only to crash,on nothing and get my bike stuck in geometry.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Finally played something this year even if it's old stuff. Did the last bit of recording for The Lost Levels and played some Mario Kart 8 for the first time in ages just for fun.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Just finished Final Fantasy 9 again for the flillionth time. I decided to play through that game last month, since I started the month sick, and combined with that I'd lost my computer, the world was feeling pretty off-kilter, so I decided to play a familiar game. Comforting, and all that.

Not much else to say. I still love the game, though for whatever reason, I didn't have *as* much fun with it this time as I usually do. Oh well. Probably just due to it being a rough month. One oddity, though... for some reason, by PS2 seems to have trouble with PS1 FMVs, particularly those of the Final Fantasy series. A few years ago when I played through FF7 again, a few of the FMVs glitched up and/or cut out early. The same thing happened this time in FF9, which included skipping the *entire* credits sequence. In neither instance did it render the games unplayable, but it's just... strange, is all. Of course, my PS2 *is* like... 12 years old. So that could be that. Still plays *PS2* FMVs (and games in general of either type) just fine, though, so go figure.

Also: *scrolls up* omg ZephyrBurst's avatar is cute. Squeeeee :3 :3 :3

Moists:

Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I just finished Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam and now I'm going back to play through Partners in Time since it's the only one in the series I never finished.
After this I'll probably do another run through of Superstar Saga since I haven't played through it in years.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

YelseyKing wrote:Just finished Final Fantasy 9 again for the flillionth time. I decided to play through that game last month, since I started the month sick, and combined with that I'd lost my computer, the world was feeling pretty off-kilter, so I decided to play a familiar game. Comforting, and all that.

Not much else to say. I still love the game, though for whatever reason, I didn't have *as* much fun with it this time as I usually do. Oh well. Probably just due to it being a rough month. One oddity, though... for some reason, by PS2 seems to have trouble with PS1 FMVs, particularly those of the Final Fantasy series. Of course, my PS2 *is* like... 12 years old. So that could be that. Still plays *PS2* FMVs (and games in general of either type) just fine, though, so go figure.
Man, I need to play 9 again soon. Definitely the best.

I don't know about the PS2 thing. Mine ran it all perfectly.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

I've been playing Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth, as my signature should attest to.

I made it to Chapter 3 and I don't know how. This game is kicking my ass harder than even Persona did. I finished the first chapter without much difficulty, and then got slaughtered in the very next dungeon. I've been struggling since, even though I unlocked the thing that ought to be weakening the enemies.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Alice

Post by Alice »

Blivsey wrote:I've been playing Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth, as my signature should attest to.

I made it to Chapter 3 and I don't know how. This game is kicking my ass harder than even Persona did. I finished the first chapter without much difficulty, and then got slaughtered in the very next dungeon. I've been struggling since, even though I unlocked the thing that ought to be weakening the enemies.
I'm a bit surprised you find it more difficult than Persona even if you're underleveled. I found Persona (P3 at least, it's the only one I've beaten) to be difficult even at higher levels while Hyperdimension Neptunia just kinda has this spot at mid-levels or so where things are a bit more difficult than you'd expect. If you have any side quests you haven't done you should go do them. If you've done that and maybe a little bit of grinding then other than bosses you shouldn't be having too much trouble at all really.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

no more heroes 2 is way more flawed than 1 imo. almost at the end but its kinda disappointing, even if i had heard other people say this. next on the KtP list is killer is dead, which i've heard is a great game if you ignore the bullshit that the publishers prioritized to try and gain sales, hurting the devs' vision and ultimately gaining little.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Just got all the materials to create the Ares 90 in Xenoblade X, and man, this thing is kind of silly. It can take down enemies with just a couple of its "weak" arts that I had trouble dealing with in my old level 60 Skell (admittedly the freebie one you get from Alexa's last mission, but still), and then if that wasn't enough power it also carries a 1500 cost superweapon that I have yet to see anything survive, tyrant or otherwise. I guess this is when I start thinking about taking on the superbosses?
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Alice wrote:
Blivsey wrote:I've been playing Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth, as my signature should attest to.

I'm a bit surprised you find it more difficult than Persona even if you're underleveled. I found Persona (P3 at least, it's the only one I've beaten) to be difficult even at higher levels while Hyperdimension Neptunia just kinda has this spot at mid-levels or so where things are a bit more difficult than you'd expect. If you have any side quests you haven't done you should go do them. If you've done that and maybe a little bit of grinding then other than bosses you shouldn't be having too much trouble at all really.
I had trouble with Neptunia as well until I made peace with the fact that it's a grindfest through and through. At least in the beginning it's the only way you're going to progress. After a while there is SOME sort of strategy with buffs, positioning and abusing enemy ranges, but in the first chapters you really shouldn't feel bad about grinding while mashing the "skip animations" button. I'm also surprised you find it harder than persona honestly.

Also I hope you're not seriously considering using the "weaken enemies" plan

Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Jesuiscontent wrote:I had trouble with Neptunia as well until I made peace with the fact that it's a grindfest through and through. At least in the beginning it's the only way you're going to progress. After a while there is SOME sort of strategy with buffs, positioning and abusing enemy ranges, but in the first chapters you really shouldn't feel bad about grinding while mashing the "skip animations" button. I'm also surprised you find it harder than persona honestly.
I guess it might be because I wasn't completely blind going into Persona. I'd watched LPs of both P3 and P4 before taking them on myself, whereas I added Neptunia to my wishlist on a whim after watching the trailer and hearing good things about it.

Also there's a skip button????
Jesuiscontent wrote:Also I hope you're not seriously considering using the "weaken enemies" plan
I'll probably use it until I can catch up in levels, at least, but I won't progress with it on. What level should I even be around when starting chapter 3?
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Yeah you can skip animations with circle/A on snes controller/B on xbox controller. I really don't remember what levels you're supposed to be on but you can usually tell if you're underleveled with how much damage you do to enemies. Also it should be obvious but make sure you buy the best weapons and armor for your characters, a little difference in stats if huge in this game.

Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

Jesuiscontent wrote:Yeah you can skip animations with circle/A on snes controller/B on xbox controller. I really don't remember what levels you're supposed to be on but you can usually tell if you're underleveled with how much damage you do to enemies. Also it should be obvious but make sure you buy the best weapons and armor for your characters, a little difference in stats if huge in this game.
All helpful information that I'll keep in mind, thank you. Also it's a good thing you can just do quests over and over again so I can afford that equipment.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Just finished a rather elaborate quest mod on Oblivion called "The Lost Spires". I have kind of mixed feelings on it.

On the positive, the dungeons are great. They're huge, have numerous paths to explore, and many of them look far more exotic than anything in the vanilla game; like something out of Morrowind. You also get some nice items, such as portable devices that let you craft spells, enchant items, or receive a blessing (removing diseases and stat drops).

On the negative, there were a lot of spelling errors/typoes in the text, the voice acting was mediocre (though it was admittedly kind of impressive that it had any at all), and the plot was kind of cliche (

oh noes, the rude and stoic mentor/head of the guild was actually *evil*? Who knew?

). Mostly minor nitpicks, though.

Overall, I did enjoy it, however. Anything to prolong one of my favorite games is a good thing. :P

Moists: