(shouting)

A Discusson on fixing the Gen 1 Pokemon games

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

A Discusson on fixing the Gen 1 Pokemon games

Post by raekuul »

(Branching this off from TLs4's LP thread so that I don't hijack it)
raekuul wrote:I've got a modified version of RBY that removes the Psychic immunity to Ghost (among other typefixes)
Oracle of Wuffing wrote:It's the other typefixes that are important. 'Cause, you know, what are the Ghost type attacks available? Lick. Nightshade. Confuse Ray.
raekuul wrote:If I knew how to hack in the Dark and Steel types correctly, I'd hack those in and change Bite and Magnemite/Magneton accordingly. It does not help that the damage modifier table is completely disorganized, though only having to add attack data for Dark and defense data for Steel is a plus... wait, how many modifiers does Steel have on defense?
Oracle of Wuffing wrote:Still don't think bite's enough, but... Okay, Steel resists 11 types, but one of those is Dragon and the only dragon move is Dragon Rage, so you can drop that, and then it also resists Dark and Steel, so you could conceivably get that down to 8. Then it's weak to 3 types and immune to Poison.
raekuul wrote:Just making the Magnets part-steel would be enough to tank Sabrina/Koga at reasonable levels, since they both also have decent-to-good Special in G1... ultimately I'd have to add 3 bytes of space for each additional damage modifier, so it's still at least an offset of 48 bytes for all the data that's after the damage modifiers table.

Basically, the only reason I didn't just go in and rewire the Damage Modifier Table completely in my roms is because I don't want to mess with repointing just yet.
Since I never actually responded to the "Other Typefixes" point
My changelog wrote:Changed 070314 to 070305 (Poison resists Bug instead of being weak to it)
Changed 030714 to 191405 (Bug is neutral to Poison, Fire resists Ice)
Changed 081800 to 081814 (Psychic is now weak to Ghost instead of being immune)
Gust is now FLYING (thank you, thethethethe for your tools ^^)
Karate Chop is now FIGHTING
Bite is now DRAGON (as I'm too lazy to hack in the DARK and STEEL types at the moment)
Sand Attack is now GROUND
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
kilon

Re: A Discusson on fixing the Gen 1 Pokemon games

Post by kilon »

doesn't fire rd and leaf green fix most of these things?
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

They do, but I'm talking about fixing them in the context of fixing the G1 roms as opposed to using the G3 remakes - G1 does have the interesting property of only having "Special" as opposed to "Special Attack and Special Defense," which can change strategies a fair bit. Also Missingno.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
TomPhanto

Post by TomPhanto »

I think the game works as something that gives it the Gen 1 feeling along with the fixes that makes the game more balanced.
Keys are important. When a key is lost, all madness shall break loose.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

If you want to "fix" Gen 1, try to fix all this:
http://chzpokememes.files.wordpress.com ... .png?w=893
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]