(shouting)

What the Hell? (public release like it was no thing)

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

What the Hell? (public release like it was no thing)

Post by raocow »

wth-publicrelease.ips
(518.87 KiB) Downloaded 1062 times
Have a hack.

I was supposed to wait until TLs4 was done with his LP but man. I said that I'd release it if I felt it took too long, and I feel it took too long. Sorry buddy, I know your life is a thing and all, but I kinda want to throw it out there, especially as WtH2 stuff is getting viewed!

So there ya go. It's broken, it's dumb, it's messy, but it's mine. Have fun! Tell your friends!

-------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_tFS-C4snk

I've been asked to make a thread for this before, so there you go!

What the Hell? is the hack I'm making and... well, yeah. It's a short hack, going to be around 15 stages or so, I think that's a good length of a single-person neophyte hack. Basically I go and try different things - the sample above is a chunk of stage 2, where I try to make 'tides matter'. I'm aware of several problems, including the score when you bunk enemies or get coins which is pretty wacky - I'm mostly concentrating on making stages that 'work' for now.

That orange pipe at the beginning is a debug pipe to quickly go to another segment I'm working on!

So yeah. I guess I'll post things here now and then as I do progress.

Suggestions, comments, etc. are welcomed, as ever!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
kilon

Re: What the Hell?

Post by kilon »

The midway point posts should be changed with ExGFX as this looks rather bad.
I'm sure you know that already.

Other then that it looks pretty interesting. I think you make good use of the tides.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Yeah, it's levels first, then work things out aestheticaly.

By which I mean 'god I don't know how efgfx works at all aghhhh'
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

(point)
The music for each sublevel fits very nicely, but the shortness of the first sublevel, and the way the music for it seems to be building up, means you feel you're missing out on the track itself.
(point 2)
Also the music for sublevels 1 and 2 are quite different, so it feels a little jarring when you go from "happy smiley uplifting admittedly spikey and deadly ice cave" to "give up all hope it's too late ye have entered here where there are tides and munchers and those darn fish that follow you everywhere". Along with that, the first sublevel matches the feeling of happy winter place, but the second seems like it would fit better in another level entirely.
(counterpoint)
To be fair though there's nothing stopping the player sitting around and enjoying the music, and the two areas are quite different, so of course you'll get different music. Bearing in mind the original super mario world has one music track per level, matching two different tracks so they're similar enough to follow on is no easy task.
(aside)
As usual the level looks extremely hard...and aside from trying to make some comment about irony that's all there is to say about that.
(completely off topic)
That final area we only get to see a tiny bit of...i don't know why but it intrigues me so. I am very drawn to learning what is in that wide open space, and that is now bugging me.

This is all putting aside the positive though, that you have a nice overworld, good music, and tough but well made levels. This confuses me though because the second sublevel...almost looks like a youtube hack...but done right? There's lots of munchers everywhere (done better because none are inexplicably floating, nor are they spammed), there's tides and water with the following fish to annoy you (done better because you have to use them, not just avoid them constantly), there's invisible coin blocks (done better because...well these are rarely any fun, but at least they aren't spammed and aren't likely to kill you for not knowing they were there). It has a lot more effort put into it though, in both the level design, level layout and gaphics...so i'm somewhat confused yes...it's sort of superficially similar to them...maybe?

On the subject of exgfx, just save it in yychr as EXGFX##(80 or more) instead of GFX##, insert the exgfx into the rom in lunar magic the same way you would gfx, and use "Super GFX Bypass" in Lunar Magic to tell it to use the exgfx files instead. Hopefully that helps, i started out inserting all my custom graphics straight into the GFX files and i was dreading the swap to EXGFX, but it isn't too hard apart from the fact that i have no idea how or if you even can change GFX32 or 33 with EXGFX.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
raocow

Post by raocow »

flameofdoubt wrote:
On the subject of exgfx, just save it in yychr as EXGFX##(80 or more) instead of GFX##, insert the exgfx into the rom in lunar magic the same way you would gfx, and use "Super GFX Bypass" in Lunar Magic to tell it to use the exgfx files instead. Hopefully that helps, i started out inserting all my custom graphics straight into the GFX files and i was dreading the swap to EXGFX, but it isn't too hard apart from the fact that i have no idea how or if you even can change GFX32 or 33 with EXGFX.
Woah, that's it?

You know, there are youtube hacks out there that have good ideas - they just don't know what to do with it. If I can take them and make them 'work', all the better I suppose!

edit - and since we're on the subject, what about the background, is it something special for that too?
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

If you want an exgfx background, just name an exgfx file that has a custom bg you want to exgfx##, and if it doesn't come with map16 info (which you would load into a map16 page of 11 or higher by pressing F3) then you need to just go to a map16 page of 11 or higher and fill in the graphics like you would with blocks. Then in the super gfx bypass you would change the spot where it says BG1 to your custom background (or whatever they say to change)
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Gosh i wish i knew how to do backgrounds. The last time i saw it explained you had to...copy the tiles across in the 16x16 or 8x8 viewer, not sure which, onto a new page, and delete some redundent ones? And the hard part was figuring out which you could scrap and then fill with your tiles to use or...or something. Yeah you'd be better off waiting for someone who knows what they're doing to respond, but i wait eagerly to find out too.

Also, you most certainly seem to be making them work yes, you took something like rooms full of dolphin-riding over munchers, and compressed it into a little segment of play, where it works, and genuinely looks fun, neither tedious nor too troubling. Same for the bridge building, and (pufferfish?) riding, where though the fish are always there, you don't actually spend all that much time in their way.

EDIT: Chdata, i think what you say applies to background tiles, whereas what...wait no. I realise now you both meant background standing-on tiles, and i'm the only one who meant "background behind the playing screen" well bother.

EDIT2: Nope, i was double wrong.
Last edited by flameofdoubt 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
RealLink

Post by RealLink »

chdata wrote:If you want an exgfx background, just name an exgfx file that has a custom bg you want to exgfx##, and if it doesn't come with map16 info (which you would load into a map16 page of 11 or higher by pressing F3) then you need to just go to a map16 page of 11 or higher and fill in the graphics like you would with blocks.Then in the super gfx bypass you would change the spot where it says BG1 to your custom background (or whatever they say to change)
12 or higher. Otherwise the SMW BGs would mess up. Also, don't forget to save the Map16 by pressing F9.
The rest is correct, but he forgot something.
After you did what chdata said, you need to change "Level -> Change Background Map16 Page" to the page you inserted your Map16 data.

If there is a sample Level (.mwl file with the BG already assembled), insert it ("File -> Open level from file"). Then open the BG editor in that level, select all tiles, and press Ctrl+C. Go back to the level where you want the custom BG (don't save the inserted level, otherwise what you built there will get overwritten!) open the BG editor, and paste the copied tiles with Ctrl+V.

If there is no sample level, you have to assemble the BG yourself, by left-clicking the tile in the Map16 Editor, and right-clicking in the BG Editor.

This may seem complicated, but it really isn't. And if you have problems, just ask.
raocow

Post by raocow »

chdata wrote:If you want an exgfx background, just name an exgfx file that has a custom bg you want to exgfx##, and if it doesn't come with map16 info (which you would load into a map16 page of 11 or higher by pressing F3) then you need to just go to a map16 page of 11 or higher and fill in the graphics like you would with blocks. Then in the super gfx bypass you would change the spot where it says BG1 to your custom background (or whatever they say to change)
what
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

You know about map16, right? And how to scroll through the pages? I'm assuming you do for this. But basically, you create your background with ExGFX, then on pages 12 or higher (it will say "Viewing 16x16 Page 0x#.") you will have to create map tiles just like you do for blocks. After you get all the tiles you'll need, all you have to do is open up the "Background Tile Map Editor Window" and you just insert the tiles directly from the map16 editor window

Vanilla Backgrounds use 10 and 11 so you want to avoid using those (I think)
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
raocow

Post by raocow »

Man, I knew creating this thread was a mistake, as my mind is being pulled away by another project now...

Basically, all I'm saying, is expect progress to be really slow.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Sweet jesus you make hard levels. :shock:
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

FirePhoenix wrote:Sweet jesus you make hard levels. :shock:
This.

The overall design is good, though, and I love the title and the nintendo presents logo.

I am the impressed guy.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

I like your graphic swaps! The level looks a little "busy" in some parts but overall very promising.

Also I tossed this vid into the archive for you as a bonus under uncategorized.
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

If this title is "What the Hell?",
I'm going to be disappointed if raocow doesn't put completely random text boxes (like when he plays Japanese hacks and "guesses" what the message is). :)
TLs4

Post by TLs4 »

This will most certainly be an entertaining hack to say the least!

I'll have a few controllers on standby when I play though it!
raocow

Post by raocow »

KingMike wrote:If this title is "What the Hell?",
I'm going to be disappointed if raocow doesn't put completely random text boxes (like when he plays Japanese hacks and "guesses" what the message is). :)
Unfortunately as of now I'm using up my 'two messages per level' quota for actual useful, preferable to know stuff!
SpikyRat

Post by SpikyRat »

I'm most likely going to end up playing this, but...
FirePhoenix wrote:Sweet jesus you make hard levels. :shock:
Yeah. I won't be surprised if we end up needing to buy another keyboard for this computer.

I hate you all.
raocow

Post by raocow »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEskDyYnfaQ

I dunno if you should watch or not SiteAdmin, if you keep pestering me for lp-ing this, maybe you shouldn't spoil yourself!
rubberfishy

Post by rubberfishy »

raocow wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEskDyYnfaQ

I dunno if you should watch or not SiteAdmin, if you keep pestering me for lp-ing this, maybe you shouldn't spoil yourself!
I love the Autumnic colours of the whole level, also the toaster sprites are particularly awesome.

easily the best looking level you've shown so far imo.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

You've been busy with the graphics, I see
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
TLs4

Post by TLs4 »

raocow wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEskDyYnfaQ

Yeah for real.. this will be the LAST video I watch... but OMGOMGOMGOMG...

Me likey likey!

Remember how I'm like, it's all good raocow... you know the job market is bleak etc etc you'll find yours?

There's like 5% of me that is like, man I hope the economy stays in the crapper and makes it impossible for him to do anything BUT work on this hack.

Kidding! Although man... this is looking GREAT.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

I am really loving the music so far, especially at the end of the Stage two video. Also, I really laughed when I saw the stage 3 video-

*spoiler tag for mr. siteadmin's sake*
switching the moles with toasters was hilarious. Gaston-Charlie looks really good so far, too. And I love the changes you've made to the blocks when they're hit. Also, that level looks very chaotic. I can't wait for siteadmin to LP it.
I don't really get it but okay
chrishy

Post by chrishy »

Anticipating this hack. :D
ChrisIsCornflake on YouTube.
First Founder of the talkhaus IRC, [url=irc://irc.badnik.net/talkhaus]irc://irc.badnik.net/talkhaus[/url]. (Info)
kilon

Post by kilon »

Honestly I wouldn't play it as it is to Kaizo for my likings, but I'm sure to enjoy the LP.