(shouting)

SMWW - Overworld!

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Chdata

SMWW - Overworld!

Post by Chdata »

Well I made a hack and it's currently being LPed.
Clicky
It's not very good, but it's my first hack ever. I'm now calling it a demo of the final hack, which has alot of work being put into it. Here's some info.

Anyways, I'm now using a patch called "Parallel Worlds"
And I've come up with a small plot-ish thing.

Small preview...

edit: Lol this story is nukedish

"In these lands of Mortynia that have been twisted and defiled for over 7,000 years after The Event, one of the few hundred survivors, Bloke, receives a strange letter in the mail..."

Hopefully I can figure out the cutscene tool. But that will all come later.

edit: This might stay, since I already had the OW designed for it.

Anyways a small little thing, the world you start in is demented looking and dark. The special world passed palettes will look happy and normal... if you know what the parallel worlds does you'll understand what this means.
Last edited by Chdata 13 years ago, edited 16 times in total.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Chdata

Re: Super Mario Whatinthe World

Post by Chdata »

Also after being inspired by one move the LPer did that I thought was impossible ingame, the Pit of Hell hack, the Item Abuse hack, and the Cool or Cruel hack, I have decided to make a past-unfair-mother-of-kaizo-hack.

The Adamant Stages
(Or "The Adamant Story", if I make up a story.)

So far I have the intro level and one extremely hard boss fight that requires perfectly timed dodging every .5 seconds.

Try the level to the left.
The boss fight is tested and possible.

yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

You do know that the transparent area (shown as blue in the overworld editor) around stuff like the fortress, ghost house, and castle tiles will be the same colour as the background in the last level you played ingame, right? You might want to make some custom Layer 1 tiles instead...
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Yea I know that blue is glitched... and I know I have to make custom layer 1 tiles, but how do I do that/ Can you use exgfx for that? I know the palette changing part. I also tried making that blue tile area entirely out of the blue stuff, and it had the cool effect of being a different random color every other level you beat, but had a downside of seriously messing up graphics everywhere (blue scan-lines).

yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

When in normal Layer 2 editing mode, see that blue area at the bottom? That's where the tilemaps of the Layer 1 tiles are read from. You can replace something like the Super Nintendo logo tiles and reuse those tiles for your towers, so that you can place them on Layer 1 and avoid transparency issues.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Do you mean the nintendo presents logo at the start of the game when you open the rom? Or that one where it says c 1990, 1991 Nintendo?

Also in YYCHR are my suspicions correct that I should change the "transparent" palette to something that isn't, so I can use it in layer 2?

yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

This is in the overworld editor, and the Super Nintendo logo I'm talking about is the one that appears in the original Special World. No YY-CHR editing is needed; just replace the tiles using the layer 2 editor.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Umm isn't that nintendo logo layer 1 though?
Or do you mean making the tower gfx how I need them, so I can build them out of layer 1 squares? In which case how would I do an event to reveal a tower?

yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

yoshicookiezeus wrote:When in normal Layer 2 editing mode, see that blue area at the bottom? That's where the tilemaps of the Layer 1 tiles are read from.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

yoshicookiezeus wrote:When in normal Layer 2 editing mode, see that blue area at the bottom? That's where the tilemaps of the Layer 1 tiles are read from.
I already know that. What I don't understand is how overwriting the Super Nintendo logo tiles with my castle tiles will remove the blue transparency.

edit: Oh didn't realize what you said when you said to build the castles out of layer 1 16x16 tiles... except can you do layer 1 events to reveal a giant tower? I'll post a pic of the finished events soon.

Also the revealing of the giant tower in the middle (Which will be Elysium), has the earthquake event enabled for it. For the smaller tower pieces to the side I drew some 48x48 layer 1 tiles.
Also is it possible to do anything about glitchy tile revealing. The red stuff you see below is the part where you see the castle being built with 48x48 squares. Also I have this problem with 16x16 revealings. Would I just want to change some palettes to white?

edit: I think I'll be able to figure things out.

edit 2: Also thank you YCZ for being such a l33t h4xx0r. I'm using exgfx to fix my castle problem, and have taken your advice on the layer 1 stuff too.

Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Hey guys, up date on my Kaizo hack.
It's now probably going to be a completely different type of kaizo hack... heh...
A Kiroshi Kaizo hack.

Every level has a secret exit more or less.

Kaizo = Secret Exit
Kiroshi = Normal Exit

Thanks to Chibikko.

Kiroshi - Death by overwork.
Kaizo - Death by everything.

This IPS is an example of how it'll go. I'll make the kaizo section impossible to get to more or less if well, you aren't good enough to do it. But peeps will still be able to do the Kiroshi part.
Also they're actually be two versions of the IPS. The only difference will be the intro and the welcome level. One will be a normal intro and normal welcome (more or less normal at least.) for people who don't want to bother with the kaizo as much. The other version (sorry I didn't include that IPS) will have an intro where it immediately tries to kill you, and a welcome that does the same. Although, for something that's supposed to be kaizo they're still easy to get past. You die immediately in this intro (I might just make it a TAS of a level instead.) and the welcome as I said tries to murder you right before that message pops up. (And yes you have to try and avoid it.)

Just so you remember, this hack's name is "The Adamant Stages"
Unless, if I make up a story for it, then it'll be "The Adamant Story"
And yes it was purposefully supposed to have those initials. (I'd love to see someone TAS'ing TAS. Lolwut.)

The demo is VERY short. Whatever the final is will have a better overworld than whatever you see there. And more levels.
Attachments
TAS short demo.ips
(242.62 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Last edited by Chdata 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Blinx

Re: SMWW & TAS

Post by Blinx »

chdata wrote: Kiroshi - A game where you MUST kill yourself.
Ahem.
#1 It's spelled Karoshi
#2 Karoshi indeed is a game where you must kill yourself. However, Karoshi means death by overwork.
asdf
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I worded it that way on purpose. As for the spelling... everyone else here has spelt it that way.

Blinx

Post by Blinx »

chdata wrote:I worded it that way on purpose. As for the spelling... everyone else here has spelt it that way.
I don't doubt that you did that on purpose, but unless you are referring to the game Karoshi itself, you should change it.

Also, just because everyone spells it that way doesn't mean you have to. It's incorrect.
asdf
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Thing is that I didn't know how to spell it when I typed that...

FroggerbobT

Post by FroggerbobT »

Eff... got up almost all the way, then mario kicked the key and it fell off the screen... I wanted to shoot mario right then cuz it took me about 280 seconds to do it.
My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/FroggerbobT

Will be posting videos of my level as work progresses on it.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I did some stuff with my overworld.

Also note that those level tiles will not look like that in the end.

This is my first overworld so don't expect it to be really great.

I trashed my old stuff for Yoshi's island and Bowser's Valley.

On the main OW some of those islands with a level tile out of nowhere will be accessible only by a custom OW sprite.
Attachments
thing.PNG
thing.PNG (66.66 KiB) Viewed 5392 times

Chdata

Post by Chdata »

What? Updates on MY hack? Since when did this happen?

Reghrhre from SMWC finished making me an overworld, well except for some level tiles and events which I offered to do myself.

The star world, special world, and valley of bowser are still made by me actually.

So... if you can point out cutoff or anything go ahead.

The main map will have an airship btw.

Also, these are actually the special world passed palettes, or to be more correct, the "distant past" palettes. The game will start out dreary and creepy, as if the world was destroyed.
Eventually you can get the ability to...
Go through time! I've already thought of various gimmicks to go with that, such as a poisonous pond you can't real beat until you time travel and such.

And Argu's little "castle door" which won't let you enter until you try to enter during the "apocolyptic" time where the castle is pretty much in ruins.

Did I mention mid-level time travel?
regow.PNG
regow.PNG (124.33 KiB) Viewed 5298 times

Chdata

Re: SMWW - Overworld!

Post by Chdata »

Forgot to post this, the non-special world passed palettes. Aka the normal colors.

This is what the current "time" would be like. It's warped, destroyed, and dreary.
I want to try making a patch to allow the special world passed ow and not passed ow to use alternate gfx, so I can make the apocolyptic scene more destroyed looking. I already made it work for level names.
Attachments
smwwadd.PNG
smwwadd.PNG (110.73 KiB) Viewed 5270 times

kilon

Post by kilon »

With those dark colors, the castles and ghost houses really stand out. I don't know what plans you have with them, but I would try to at least make them darker or use exgfx to make them more fitting.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

oh yeah, thanks for reminding me/noticing that.

edit: fixed sorta. Gotta make another patch to change the palettes when the special world is passed though.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

SPACE
=====
BAR

also, holy poop that is a lot of levels
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SomerandomGuy

Post by SomerandomGuy »

Looking at that overworld, and your promises about time travel, make me intrested in this hack already.
I look forward to seeing more of this hack.
Yikes

Post by Yikes »

Wow, I have just seen this and your overworld looks really great!

It is just my opinion but the the whole "Island" on the left looks kinda out of place...I guess.
Gesundheit!