(shouting)

overworldin'

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Time Traveler

Re: overworldin'

Post by Time Traveler »

Kristian wrote:One last suggestion is that, everything is really... red.
I don't know, your palettes are kind of really bright on the red map. I would tweak them around.
I would also consider having the water have animation, just for appeal.
Well, I would expect hell to be pretty red. Maybe that's just me? I dunno.
Kristian wrote:PS Was TT seriously banned? For how long?
Just wondering.
Haha you fell for it
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

If my level are to be considered, I like my romhacking monochromal!

Thanks for pointing those out, by the way. I guess I'll be fixing that, and trying to solve how events work later today..!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

No problem, that's just what I do.
And good luck with-

Wait, oh yeah, if you're having trouble with getting secret exit events to work, the secret exit's event is one above the normal exit.

example:
Level 15
Event 0
*more level stuff*

For the level you want to appear form the secret exit, it would be revealed on event 1 in this case.

I hope I explained this clear enough.
<SNN> WHO DARES
<Kristian> TO TRY TO STOP THE TIME BOMB?!
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

That's the thing.

Like, say I put event 1 on level 1. I go to even 0X1, and I make it so some climbing ledges appear on a cliff-side. Is that it? Is that all I do? Go in the event window, put those in, and that's it? Is there a 'confirm' or anything because for some reason it doesn't plop out when I test it.
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

That should be all you do, unless it's the secret exit in which, the secret exit would be event 2. One above the event you put on there.

If it's the normal exit you probably did everything right?

Have you deleted the original SMW events yet? That may be your problem also.
<SNN> WHO DARES
raocow

Post by raocow »

Oh, I have to erase every single event, not just the ones in my submaps?
Machoman

Post by Machoman »

Delete every SMW event..
raocow

Post by raocow »

So.... my Star Roads are behaving like levels instead of warping me, even after I linked them both together. Why is that happening? For once I checked on smwcentral and the ingame documentation and I can't find anything.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Are you using the unrevealed (invisible) or the revealed ones? Because star roads act like level tiles before they are revealed. (See: Super Demo World)
raocow

Post by raocow »

Hah, welp, didn't know that.

man, lots of things this editor assumes you know, even in the help files!
raocow

Post by raocow »

One final thing I can't figure out that has nothing to do with the overworld - how do you decide in what stage the yoshi wings send you?
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

It all has to do with the number of the stage you are in when you get the wings. If the hundreds digit is 0, you get sent to level C8. If it is 1, you end up in 1C8.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Awesome.

With all this knowledge, I have enough to start my little sideproject in earnest!

Thanks a million everyone, for your patience!
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

No problem :D

I know, I didn't help you at all but I like when someone says thank you to me ^^
Kristian

Post by Kristian »

Your welcome, raocow.

I help best I could, because I want to LP your hack.
And because when I started OWing, I wished I had people to help me.
:D
<SNN> WHO DARES
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Well, I'm assuming that anybody can post their overworld questions here if they haven't already been answered, so here's my question: Is there any way to make a pipe in the overworld a one-way sort of thing? Because I'm planning out my overworld on paper before I start actually editing it, and there's a couple places where I need to have something to keep Mario from being able to turn around. (Paranoia disclaimer: No, I'm aiming to screw anyone over, it's just 1. I don't want to let Mario clear a switch palace and then be able to backtrack and avoid plot advancement, and 2. It would just be wierd for Mario to be able to fall down a hole and then randomly float back up. I have the second path reconnect with the rest of the levels later on anyway, so no harm will be done.) It doesn't have to be a one-way pipe, it could be anything-a Star Road warp that you can't return to, a level exit that makes Mario appear at the next level, entering Bowser's mouth-cave thing and ending up at the next place, a "leaving the submap" path, anything that doesn't give Mario any option other than beating the level and proceeding from there.
I don't really get it but okay
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

You mean like the Special World - Yoshi's Island warp of the original? That shouldn't be too hard:
1. Link two star road/pipe tiles together as usual.
2. Uncheck "Allow move/copy/paste/delete on Layer 1 Tile Settings" in the overworld editor's Option menu.
3. Replace the destination warp with a level tile.
4. Recheck "Allow move/copy/paste/delete on Layer 1 Tile Settings", to avoid messing stuff up later.
FroggerbobT

Post by FroggerbobT »

Sad. The tutorials at SMWC didn't help me at all with OW editing. The tutorial buried halfway into the first page on this thread worked like a charm...8 hours in of course. Thanks mucho whoever posted that. (crunchawake or something i think) :mrgreen:
My youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/FroggerbobT

Will be posting videos of my level as work progresses on it.
ftw ftw

Post by ftw ftw »

raocow wrote:Man, this dinky looking thing looks so... well, dinky, considering the amount of time it took. Learning new stuff is so exhilirating though!

For those curious, my plan is to make the hills plop down and an empty level to clear the path pop up for each of the secret exits found in the overworld on the left. Also they are not linked yet because I cannot for the life of me get events to works, let alone make the big bowser head pop out of the middle of the left overworld. But I'll get it!

edit - green pathes all over the place in the water in the right map what the hell is wrong me with gah
is that your own over world raocow it looks sexy man