(shouting)

Another Rom Hack

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Re: Another Rom Hack

Post by Argumentable »

You ain't never seen an overworld quite like dis
world6.png
Yeah I'm doing this again I guess
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Yay~ Good to see it's still in the works!
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Here's the real world 6
realworld6.png
I'll prob do something about that ledge that sticks out but I would like to find a way to make it work. I actually don't super hate this considering I made it
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

cutoff

(looks pretty good)
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Yeah that's why I need to fix it! I was hoping there was some vanilla OW tile I was missing that would make it okay but there probably isn't. I'm probably gonna try cliff world next because it'll probably be flat and easy and boring

Well I guess it's more like a sky world than cliff world since this world has cliffs (this is machine world)
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Whoa since when did this exist

I like how you used the blue trees in the cave environment on the OW, I think there should be more
maybe
EDIT: Oh actually now that I look at it, it looks like you put them exclusively by that one level for a reason so nevermind
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Yeah, that level is the only forest level of the area and if you know the level it actually makes a ton of sense that there's only a few trees. The one thing I'd like to sort of fix is the fact that the red level is actually a sky level. Also looking at it even further it looks like I just left a ghost there for no reason too. Well, once I actually try to figure out events there may be more details added if only to be removed to clear a path.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if there's more than one day to get to a level, you have to have it showing on the overworld from the start and not revealed, right?
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

Argumentable wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but if there's more than one day to get to a level, you have to have it showing on the overworld from the start and not revealed, right?
*way
But yeah if you have a level that can be accessed by two other levels, it should be like the other levels, on the overworld, hidden until they get revealed by a event. However you can only reveal a level once using the level setting, for revealing a level twice you have to use the event of one of the two level and place a level dot above the level. But it's not that difficult and I can explain you more in details how to do it.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Uhhhh I think it would just be easier to have it showing? I don't know events anyway so that's gonna be a whole other mess to work with
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Argumentable wrote: There's a lot of world 5 & 6 levels that I don't have tons of feedback on.
Feedback, eh? Could I test your hack thingy? I'm not seeing a download anywhere.

Not saying I'll do it super quick but I will try
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Sure, I'll get it to you sometime, but it's currently a jumbled mess so I'd have to give you a list of the levels too.
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

Hooray, sounds like a plan
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

I really don't like this one, but I crammed world 4 with too many levels
world4.png
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

I really don't like this one either
world2.png
I'm loathing the thought of having to do the large overworld, cause I really don't know what to do with it (as evidenced here with the big empty space on the right)

Bowser's World and the Special World will each use their own submaps, after that I have one left over (along with the main one) to cram in worlds 1, 3, and 5. If there were two more submaps it'd just make things easier!
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Do we still use IPS patches? IDK how things work. Does this link even? Anyway here's ARH in its forever unfinished form
https://bin.smwcentral.net/u/3081/ARHUnfinished.ips

1) This isn't finished. I think most or all of the levels should be beatable but I didn't check them all. If you come across something that leads to a dead end I might fix it

2) The map doesn't work in world 7 but also probably some other places. I think you can just walk to the next stage. This is true of the World 4 castle which has the Lakitu Boss in it that doesn't work. I think?

3) No idea if this works on any modern emulators. If it doesn't then whoops! I still have ZSNES from 10 years ago and don't really emulate

4) You might find a dev door or something so feel free to use it but some of them just lead to bullshit

In short, this isn't polished and is probably broken, but I have to post it somewhere to get it out of my mind. I probably won't be fixing anything unless it completely breaks the hack or something but feel free to do with the levels whatever you want.

I only played through World 2 and some of World 7 (enough to know the map is broken) so yeah. It probably stops working at some point
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

The only level from this I remember is bubblegum swamp because the trees looked like they would taste good irl and I thought the pink blargg was really pretty. It was before a proper overworld where it was just the level tiles on a plain square I think? Other than that I do remember you were always focused on fun level design over any fancy bs which I appreciate now a lot more.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

poggers, will play soon
Daarkbuu wrote: 3 years ago Other than that I do remember you were always focused on fun level design over any fancy bs which I appreciate now a lot more.
as one should. i'm coding fucking castlevania in smw but i still want there to be a fun level than just. carol's za warudo stage lol
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Daarkbuu wrote: 3 years ago The only level from this I remember is bubblegum swamp because the trees looked like they would taste good irl and I thought the pink blargg was really pretty. It was before a proper overworld where it was just the level tiles on a plain square I think? Other than that I do remember you were always focused on fun level design over any fancy bs which I appreciate now a lot more.
Oh hey, thanks. Yeah, if I'm going to make a more serious post about ARH it's that I did try to make my levels fun. I sort of developed an anal personality when it comes to creating some things - I've probably played most of these levels multiple times so there's been tiny tweaks to a lot of things to make them feel right. That's not to say you won't run into any bullshit, I could name a few off the top of my head that might be too much, but I'll leave that for the player to decide

And for the most part you're gonna find this is pretty vanilla. Again, not entirely - there's a few levels with some surprises, whether it be a custom sprite or a tileset or I think maybe one or two levels have an actual gameplay gimmick that probably doesn't get explained? The levels have no sense of difficulty progression either. These were just a bunch of levels that I made and threw into worlds later. If you remember any projects from the past you're gonna recognize some levels. There's ASMT leftovers, a couple small collab levels I just copy pasted into this (remember Cool Hack Bro?), that one level I made for the awful idea of "Sorry SMWC" and probably some other bullshit.

Anyway, I'd love to go through and talk about each stage level by level but I'll wait for someone to actually play it first. That is to say, there's probably some story attached to each level and some design decisions. Though I don't remember a few. If you ask yourself "is this a reference?" then it probably is.

PS And I remember daarkbuu, paste, chdata, and a bunch of other people helping me out with some of the things in the hack. If I was a better person I'd be able to remember them all and thank them but oh well. Actually, most of what I remember of daarkbuu's "help" was saying something I wanted didn't exist when it clearly did and finding it later, haha.
rena
type 2 invested entity
First name: cat
Pronouns: spider
https://rena.talkhaus.com/

Post by rena »

Argumentable wrote: 3 years ago Do we still use IPS patches? IDK how things work. Does this link even? Anyway here's ARH in its forever unfinished form

1) This isn't finished. I think most or all of the levels should be beatable but I didn't check them all. If you come across something that leads to a dead end I might fix it

2) The map doesn't work in world 7 but also probably some other places. I think you can just walk to the next stage. This is true of the World 4 castle which has the Lakitu Boss in it that doesn't work. I think?

3) No idea if this works on any modern emulators. If it doesn't then whoops! I still have ZSNES from 10 years ago and don't really emulate

4) You might find a dev door or something so feel free to use it but some of them just lead to bullshit

In short, this isn't polished and is probably broken, but I have to post it somewhere to get it out of my mind. I probably won't be fixing anything unless it completely breaks the hack or something but feel free to do with the levels whatever you want.

I only played through World 2 and some of World 7 (enough to know the map is broken) so yeah. It probably stops working at some point
is this the one I played about 10 yrs ago on irc lol? amazing
LethalBrownies
Coming soon to own on DVD

Post by LethalBrownies »

Argumentable wrote: 3 years ago Do we still use IPS patches? IDK how things work. Does this link even? Anyway here's ARH in its forever unfinished form

Yeah I'll give it a try! I'll be using bsnes I don't know if the rom will crash. It's been pretty reliable as of yet with older hacks so I'm not too worried about it. The map may not work in some areas but I will play every level I can get into.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

rena wrote: 3 years ago is this the one I played about 10 yrs ago on irc lol? amazing
If that's the one that you did the video of (I checked it) then nah, that was Unreasonablario which was a Kaizo hack I also still actually have. That one was meant to be bullshit though and nothing from that's in this.

Also worst case if the maps just don't work or whatever and people are trying to play it I can probably just enable the whole thing open from the start (which is what I probably shoulda did) but I'm lazy

Here's a list of issues btw (level names not making sense isn't an issue)

White-Hot Beach doesn't show up or take you anywhere
-It would normally take you to Pipe Plains which is accessible

Cloudy Climb doesn't let you go backwards in the first area
-This was originally the gimmick of the level and it was dumb so I removed it but apparently only for the second part

You can't actually advance from the Lakitu Boss level without beating him currently IDK why I have Right enabled on the map

Some level appears after you beat the World 5 Castle but you can't actually get to it and also IDK why it's there

There's one tile in the fouth level that's just a generic map16 object but you don't see it til later

You can't fly in Vanilla Secret 1 for some reason and that could probably be fixed. Also there's no music after you go in the door?

I don't think Work In Progress is actually a work in progress
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

HEY

Download this instead. I probably wouldn't have even posted about it but I saw that there was 22 (?!) downloads of it so I had to fix it

Is it the same exact link? IDK but I updated it. I thiiiiink the map works all the way through now. If you know anything about SMW map editing you'd think I was dumb if I told you why and if you don't you won't get it anyway. Most of the stuff up in the previous post is fixed too.

I haven't changed any names of anything. You'll still have "Generic Castle" and "Vanilla Secret 1" but I have beaten all of the levels except the very last two so it should work.

If you can't fight Lakitu I put in a pipe at the midpoint that looks like the pipe you're actually supposed to go down but whatever it beats the level for you. I might be able to get the special world working at some point but from what I remember of SMW patches then nothing that you can currently access should effect that? So go nuts if you wanna
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago as one should. i'm coding fucking castlevania in smw but i still want there to be a fun level than just. carol's za warudo stage lol
That's super freakin cool, good luck with the project! Also love to see carol being referenced all these years later. He's a certified mythical creature at this point as he should be
Argumentable wrote: 3 years ago PS And I remember daarkbuu, paste, chdata, and a bunch of other people helping me out with some of the things in the hack. If I was a better person I'd be able to remember them all and thank them but oh well. Actually, most of what I remember of daarkbuu's "help" was saying something I wanted didn't exist when it clearly did and finding it later, haha.
That sounds like something I would do yeah lmaoo
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Daarkbuu wrote: 3 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago as one should. i'm coding fucking castlevania in smw but i still want there to be a fun level than just. carol's za warudo stage lol
That's super freakin cool, good luck with the project! Also love to see carol being referenced all these years later. He's a certified mythical creature at this point as he should be
last we've heard of them, they told me and someone else (cm30?) that they apparently got married and now they don't have as much time to work on smw bullshit, most likely to spend sometime with the love of their life.

though i also suspect that was a white lie to not have smwc children hound their ass to finish super jrpg world because i sometimes peek onto their twitter (https://twitter.com/mari0__carol - replace the 0 for o, rena's filter fucks up links too) for the lols and they're usually logging in every few days to argue with nettouyo (japanese internet alt-righters) which is a noble pursuit and honestly i don't blame them if they were lying to get people to let them not work on the hack in peace

but they also have 鬼畜王マリオ in their interests in their twitter bio (mario the tyrant, i.e. brutal mario's japanese name) so who knows. i've given up on brutal mario ever releasing so i'm just making my own hack and i've made 0 progress so far.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Don't give up on releasing anything because my 11 year old thread is proof you can do something eventually

I've updated the FIRST POST with stuff I know about that's an issue and a couple things about a couple levels. I'll fix minor things as they come up but let's pretend I'm done and the jank is here to stay