(shouting)

Another Rom Hack

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Re: Another Rom Hack

Post by Argumentable »

AnotherROMHack_00052.png
AnotherROMHack_00052.png (7.72 KiB) Viewed 5513 times
This level has two gimmicks (that are very vague and can hardly be called gimmicks) and I might even throw in SMB style scrolling to boot, as I tried to make the first part like a SMB level and the second part like a SMB2 (Lost Levels) level, though both are probably a lot easier than those

I think I'm around halfway finished.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

My production notes are so horrible. I tried getting a basic overworld outline down, and I have discovered

-I didn't design half of the levels with any "theme" in mind and they don't really fit in with one more than another (or in some cases fit in with two about the same)
-Some worlds will probably end up very similar
-I have some kind of sky fetish cause the stuff I slapped in the sky world has the most and half of those have a secret exit

Where is daarkbuu when you need him??? (or tatanga but he's never around period)

Also I am probably gonna not post as many levels anymore cause I'm getting lazy with that.

Edit: Actually, last time I tried to get input on what worlds to shove levels in I got feedback on unrelated stuff, so maybe it isn't a good idea to ask

Edit 2: I do have one world 100% planned out and completed level-wise, though
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Daarkbuu »

what can i do for you boss
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Ok good news: there will be no more songs added cause all addmusic wants to do now is make my rom a bad rom

And I don't want to have to transfer files over

Again

Cause it happens to my backup before I tried using newer addmusic (using older addmusic doesn't help so I've obviously fucked something up)
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

I give up.

Yeah, I'm mad.
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

chances are nobody gives a
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Thread revive by owner request (that's me)
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

finally
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Welcome to my new OP (on page 8 instead of 1)

For anybody who is new or doesn't remember, Another ROM Hack is my hack. It is where I hack SMW and I hope people play it! I work on it very sparingly then usually trash a bunch of levels because I don't like them. I'm trying to cut back on that and really trying to get it to a completed stage, but it turns out I REALLY need support on that so I brought the thread back. I really am grateful to people like tatanga, impako, and limepie who playtest and help me out with stuff!

Where has the progress been in the thread downtime? Well, I have been trying to figure out an actual world and level order. There are a few worlds done, a few planned, and a handful of extra levels that probably won't make the cut, but it's progress! I don't want to list anything as done or not, cause I usually go back and change them. In fact, part of the project now is to go back and fix up some older levels as it's way easier than just making new ones.

The difficulty of the game will probably remain at "easy" throughout the entire thing, but I don't really care about making something hard, I'm just worried about it being fun more than anything. Also it will probably stay within the boundaries of just stuff doable with lunar magic only, so if you want some super cool asm thing you probably won't like this! Anyway, hopefully I can gather some interest again and finally finish this thing before too long. I appreciate any helpful comments or criticisms!
Cup

Post by Cup »

What do I need to do to get my name on that list of people you're thanking?

Glad this is back though.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Play my levels and tell me actual thoughts on the levels and not just how the music/graphics suck cause they're vanilla
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

This is good news. Hopefully this means the number of completed talkhaus hacks will one day double (to two).

I would also help test, if you needed someone.
dont wanna jihad no more
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Cup said he felt that playing the current version he felt he entered "too early or too late" and then said something about betas or whatever. So I'm gonna try to finish a bunch of shit in orderish and release something (still with no overworld) just to get a feel for it. Part of the problem is that I didn't start making these with any level order in mind. Or level theme. It was just gonna be a bunch of levels mashed together which I'M REALLY REGRETTING DOING. So yeah, part of it is deciding what I want to scrap and what I can throw in somewhere. Like Rainbow Koopa Cave. People really like that so I decided I'd just throw it in world 3 which is a forest world. It doesn't fit but who gives a shit it's a cave.

Here's some exciting WORLD PROGRESS for those interested

World 1
4 levels done, castle needs a boss and 2nd half redone
World 2
I guess it's done? I forget if I need to do something to the boss or not
World 3
Done except for last level (not the castle), but might need some more levels
World 4
I think the final castle and another level are the only things that need work. Probably has enough levels too?
World 5
Current work in progress. I want it to be set up kind of weirdly, but it could probably do with just one or two more levels, and the castle finished + a boss
World 6
Some scattered levels, not close nearly done. Can probably shove some stuff into it
World 7
Same as 6, scattered, not nearly done. If I can't shove levels into world 6 I can in 7
Special World
Still not sure what I wanna do with this but I wanna have one
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Hey so I don't know what your hack looks like except for that first screenshot but if you need more playtesters I'll gladly help.

Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Hey so here's a semi-serious question. How long do you guys like your worlds? I know it's probably something that will better be answered when I release a sort of public demo (soon, I hope. Finished what I wanted of world 3 and world 4 is not terribly far behind) but each time I look at my list and I'm like "this is not enough." Especially for world 4 where it seems like every other level has a secret exit?

Also, I'm tempted to start seriously asking about overworlds. I'd kind of like to pawn off overworld development to someone else, cause the most I've ever done with one was what I did for my SMWC Vanilla Contest or whatever it was. I am afraid terribly of fucking up events. Probably not a good idea to do anything yet when levels may or may not still be added, but it's on my mind and I feel the need to make and update now and again cause it will help with my progress.

Gonna try to give a weekly update, feel free to ask about anything in between, too?

And I know I never addressed you jesuis/morsel directly but I'm wanting to get something testable out there. Just don't go into it expecting too much more than vanilla. Hell, maybe I'll release another video soon.

Edit: also i know I teased daarkbuu a lot about his testing habits but he helped, too, even if I ended up ignoring all of his music suggestions. I just wanted to put it out there in case he's still around and mad or something!
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

here's your weekly update

I sent a version to cup that has most of the levels in order. Then he played the first world and didn't tell me anything OH WELL. I'm hesitant to give out versions to whoever especially since I guess it's not even halfway done, but if someone REALLY wants to test it I'll hand it out. Either the version with the levels in order or the version with all the levels (even the bad ones even the incomplete ones). I have some levels to add to the sky world, and I may put another into the forest world. Then what? I don't know. I'll probably not stick to my "do everything in order" plan though since I know what I'm doing now.
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

I think worlds should be between 5-8 levels long. Seems like that's what pretty much everyone else does.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

5 is the bare minimum I have for worlds (read: the first world) so that's pretty good. I'm pretty sure the sky world will end up having more, but you could probably beat it in 5 levels so that's ok?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I think that's ideal, yeah.

This is a useful post!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Cup

Post by Cup »

I totally said to add more fish to 1-1!

Also Stuff vvvvvv
How fun I found the level on a scale of 1 to 5
1/5-Not much going on
2/5-Filler
3/5-Average
4/5-Really Fun
5/5-Cream of the Crop

Fishy Fields 2/5
More focus on fish?

Where Dinos Dare 3/5
Like the name, like the level

Super Slide Ride 4/5
Wheeeeeeeeeee!

Cookie Mountain 5/5
Super gimmick out of no where!
Great level, transistion from vanilla to this
was pretty abrubt though.

Generic Caslte 3/5
It is its name.
Fun use of fire.

Icy Pipes 2/5
More focus on gimmick
More extending pipes
(possibly make transition to more blue colored pipes as the level gets more dangerous)
Make the level more dangerous as you go on with less land and more platforming based on
extending pipes

Cool Forest 2/5
It's a forest

Seasonal Shift 5/5
Easily favorite level so far

Vanila dome 2 3/5
Fun cave romp

Nevermelt Ice 5/5
Like the foreground
and the gimmick
One of your better ideas.

Melting Castle 4/5
Really good use of ice blocks
especially in layer two room
Kamek is a dick.
One of the better kamek uses though.

Rockaway Beach 4/5
Fun idea
I'm a huge autoscroll fan
nice transistion

Coral Corral 3/5
Subtly interesting
I like the enemy placement

Porcupuffer 4/5
porcupuffers

Koopa Beach 2/5
I like the big pipes in the sand
Is it possible to do something with those?

Bubblegum swamp 5/5
Hahahaha new favorite

Deep Woods 3/5
It's a lot harder and longer then most levels
drybones are really creepy
good atmoshpere

Rainbow Koopa Cave 5/5
Needs no introduction
The face of ARH

Stormy Nights 4/5
Great setting!
Hard but short

Woodfall 4/5
The first place we learn there's
no floor beneath large tree trucks
is over a pit. Not a big deal, but I died
Reverse water is devilishly fun

Garden Voyage 3/5 (level) 5/5 (Boss)
Flying fish felt kind of out of place
Boss was really fun

Bean Valley 2/5
I feel like with the name Bean Valley
there should be a vertical vine segment
that transistions to sky world

Flight Lessons 4/5
Look Out!
Best flight level i've played

Windy Well 4/5
Nice idea
Nice gameplay

Over and Under 3/5
Yep

Sounds Good 3/5
Not anoyoing for a note block stage

Abel City Aitport 4/5
Suddenly exgfx!
Fun level, like the train
kind of out of no where.

Leap of Faith 2/5
Yep

Don't Look Back 3/5
The screen scrolling gimmick doesn't
seem to get much use. There aren't really
any times it puishes you for not thinking ahead
or taking your time considering you can't ever go back.

Unamed Sky Castle 4/5
Fancy Boss Transisiton

Doom Ship 4/5
Bit long and draggy at times
but well designed
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

hey guys check out this amazing file I found in my folder. It's almost as mysterious as the file labeled "25" that has no extension. Truly my ARH folder is a mystical place where magic happens
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

the space on this image file is very well used!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Daarkbuu

Post by Daarkbuu »

You should make "stuck in a rainbow" a special stage.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Daarkbuu wrote:You should make "stuck in a rainbow" a special stage.
I agree
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

If you want to see last week's level that I made here it is!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKy4xMHlnx8