(shouting)

SMBX content replacement project - still needing ideas, yo

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
rubberfishy

Re: SMBX content replacement project - still needing ideas,

Post by rubberfishy »

The pluckable grass should be dog tails, and the vegetables should be different breads of dogs.
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

rubberfishy wrote: different breads
I once had a dream in which, in the kitchen of Bowser's castle in the special edition of SMB3, there was a foe called Bread of the Ages (there were also, coincidentally, lots of dogs there). It appeared as a bag of cheap sandwich bread, but completely overstuffed, so whenever Mario tried to jump on it, he'd simply bounce off. To defeat it, he needed to sneak up behind it and shake out the contents, whereupon it would be revealed that the bag actually contained loaves of bread taken from many different historical periods, hence the name. That actually seems like a sort of foe that would fit in this project, if not for the wee fact that there's no sprite that behaves even remotely like that. Yes indeed.

In any case, if you still need a replacement for Hoopster (better known as SMB2 ant bug thing)...Well, not to drag my running gag from SMWC in here (or rather to do exactly that), but maybe we could use the infamous Deedle-Ball from SMWC Production? Yes, I know that was originally supposed to be a reference to a Metroid boss, but frankly, the boss featured in the game doesn't really closely resemble the original in either appearance or function, making it more of a "vaguely inspired by" situation. And if we use the, um, nasalized variation, the resemblence drops to virtually nil. Alternately, the Deedle-Ball could be a replacement for the propeller flamethrower. Nothing like a giant nosey sphere to rain to rain fiery destruction down upon your foes with, eh?
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Rameau's Nephew wrote:
rubberfishy wrote: different breads
I once had a dream in which, in the kitchen of Bowser's castle in the special edition of SMB3, there was a foe called Bread of the Ages (there were also, coincidentally, lots of dogs there). It appeared as a bag of cheap sandwich bread, but completely overstuffed, so whenever Mario tried to jump on it, he'd simply bounce off. To defeat it, he needed to sneak up behind it and shake out the contents, whereupon it would be revealed that the bag actually contained loaves of bread taken from many different historical periods, hence the name. That actually seems like a sort of foe that would fit in this project, if not for the wee fact that there's no sprite that behaves even remotely like that. Yes indeed.
What about the giant bowser that drops baby bowsers? (You know, the end boss that raocow fought in "The invasion 2"?) You could totally resprite that as a bag of sandwich bread. Not to mention we still got the SMBX engine remake in front of us! Your awesome idea is not lost yet!!!
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

I think that was just a strange side effect of increasing a sprite's size and HP beyond what they were supposed to be, with the game incorrectly still generating a "corpse" of the standard size after the standard number of hits, even though the sprite was still alive. Which means you could get a bag of sandwich bread which drops out smaller but otherwise identical bags of sandwich bread, but not one which drops out various kinds of loaves.
Goomba98

Post by Goomba98 »

Rameau's Nephew wrote:I think that was just a strange side effect of increasing a sprite's size and HP beyond what they were supposed to be, with the game incorrectly still generating a "corpse" of the standard size after the standard number of hits, even though the sprite was still alive. Which means you could get a bag of sandwich bread which drops out smaller but otherwise identical bags of sandwich bread, but not one which drops out various kinds of loaves.
Actually, you can make it drop out one and ONE ONLY type of loaf, since the death frames are in the effect folder.
No signature ideas right now.
Joelcll

Post by Joelcll »

It would be awesome to see something from atxs ¬¬
Goomba98

Re: SMBX content replacement project

Post by Goomba98 »

Here come the ideas!
coins - SMB, SMB2, SMB3, SMW, red coin, blue coin, green rupee, blue rupee, red rupee, ring. Didn't we have a potential coin replacement for ASMT that was rejected? Maybe I can do something with that. Also, some of them will be the shiny bits from AUS.
The ring could be the shiny bit. Maybe the Mario coins could have Demo's eye on them.

goal spheres - SMB2, SMB3 and SMW.
Could be some treasures.

clown car - the big ol ugly ridable thing. It's pretty big, so there's lots of freedom here.
Demo Car with Demo's eye, inspired by the Hero Car from the second Bowser Jr. fight in NSMBW.

SMB2 red grass (the one you can pluck to get vegetables)
A handle of some sort.

said vegetables: There are 9 varieties, plus two large vegetables, one of which will probably be a large pickle. I figured that since vegetables already have an important role in ASMT as powerups, maybe we should do something slightly different with these things that Demo just sort of casually tosses all over the place, like pieces of junk or something?
I think they could be polyhedra or some other math-related objects.

SMB3 wooden platform
Magic carpet.

SMW checkerboard platform
Different magic carpet.

pink bob-omb NPC (The one from Mario 64)
Friendly A2MT bob-omb.

question mark sign (the arrow sign from SMW with a question mark drawn on it)
Wooden signpost with a question mark written on it.

SMB2 stackable mushroom platforms (4 varieties)
Building blocks.

Mr. Saturn!
Friendly furba.

Bully from Mario 64, you know the black ball guy that runs at you.
A fat penguin, like the Bumpties in YI.

Tanooki suit item, maybe a mushroom of some kind?
Of course a mushroom. One without eyes and a thin body. Maybe a purple cap?

Hammer suit item, not necessarily snake related.
Snake suit. I'm running out of ideas.

SMB axe lever, you know the one that's always behind bowser.
A big red button!

Vines - there's an SMB and 2 SMB3 ones with a top end piece, 3 SMB2 ones with a bottom piece, and an SMW one without either. I could just keep them as vines and just make them all a different colour, but maybe we could get more creative?
The SMB3 and SMW ones could be related to their vine tops in some way.

SMB2 ladder
A steel ladder.

The dynamite trigger block from the castle destruction cutscenes in SMW, I have no idea what it actually does in this game.
Another big red button.

Time stopping items - stopwatch, green stopwatch and green P-switch.
Wall clock, pocket watch, a green P with a clock face in the P's hole.

POW block.
Mini-A2MT thwomp (not a thwimp).

Heart piece - Could just make it a radish since it fulfills the same purpose as a mushroom, but I could make it something different instead.
Heart-shaped radish.

Key barrier - just a big ol' wall that disappears when you use a key on it.
Locked door.

Ice flower - could just make it a blue cactus, but want to be more creative.
A cactus with an icicle in place of the flower, in a blue pot.

Propeller Block - from NMSBW.
A stray propeller cap.

Propeller Block that constantly shoots out burning balls of yarn - maybe some kind of sewing machine?
Yes, a sewing machine.

Question Mark Mushroom: Switches player positions when touched in multiplayer mode. Some kind of teleporter?
Yes, the ball teleporter from Ricochet Infinity.

SMB2 potion - makes doors appear
A door in a glass.

SMB2 door - the ones appeared by potions
A whitewashed house door.

fuse bomb
A homemade bomb.
No signature ideas right now.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

How 'done' is this? With the current LP going on, there's been plenty of talk of an AXMT sort of thing.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
warioeagle

Post by warioeagle »

AUS wrote:How 'done' is this? With the current LP going on, there's been plenty of talk of an AXMT sort of thing.
If you're talking about the graphic and music replacements, that's only something Terry can answer. As far as the engine remake though, it's making progress again. I recently got a link that got me unstuck on a few issues I was having and all the talk about wanting the engine redone with ASMT/A2MT stuff has given me the push I needed to start working on it again. After getting stuck so often and people loosing interest, I also lost interest and kinda forgot about it, figuring A2MT was more important. Note that this was about a year ago when A2MT was still a major thing that everyone was focused on and was still fairly early development wise, I believe.
Cadwyn

Post by Cadwyn »

Got a bunch of random suggestions.

shyguy (red and blue) - a box-like robot with happy/sad theater mask faces. Maybe give them little treads instead of legs.

SMB3 Lakitu - angry teddy bear riding a balloon

crab - snail with a spiked-shell

fighterfly - irate chicken

upwards-facing flame turret - barbeque grill

switch goombas (yellow, blue, green, red) - walking p-switches? If too boring, make them walking light bulbs of the corresponding color, makes the player think "lights out" if hitting one

Zelda wolf dude - lizard barbarian dude. With a loincloth and everything.

sniffit (red, blue, grey) - same box-like design of the robot replacements for shyguys, but replaces the eyes with double-barreled laser cannons. still has treads for legs, but grey ones sorta hop like Johnny 5 in Short Circuit.

metroid air turtle - flying pea pod

metroid super air turtle - explosive flying pea pod

metroid zoomer - tophat wearing octopus

SMB2 Ninji - giant flea

blooper (SMB and SMB3) - jellyfish!

SMB2 ant bug thing - little "maintenance" robots shaped like roombas

suit ideas: Right now the main engine warioeagle's looking at for the remake has a ton of suit powerups built in, including Frog, Ninja (throwing stars), and Bee (non-running flying)! I don't see why these assets should go to waste, so I'll throw in my vote for Shark as the Frog replacement, Space Marine for Ninja (with laser pistol instead of throwing stars), and Butterfly for Bee. The Space Marine just comes from the apparent sci-fi theme of Demo's origin dimension.

EDIT: Even better! Rather than the generic space marine replacement for Ninja, make it a Commander Keen helmet and laser pistol. I'm sure ID Software won't mind the reference.