(shouting)

The 2hu drama thread (NOT feat. Kisume.txt)

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
TiKi

Re: The 2hu drama thread (NOT feat. Kisume.txt)

Post by TiKi »

Grounder wrote: 2 years ago zun bring back my main girl shinki or i'm gonna in his house :monstrosity: :monstrosity: :monstrosity:
"return her or meet her"
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago wasn't saijee from fss the same person who did that 3d asmt fangame engine that had a rainbow dash powerup
can we please rename this thread "The KobaBeach needs to explain the 3D ASMT Fangame Engine with a Rainbow Dash Powerup NOW thread (ESPECIALLY feat. KobaBeach)" because i think this entire comment has effectively won the thread

&: See Below ;P
I remember this being a thing but I don’t remember the details.

Also being reminded of that powerup makes the fact that Demo’s tanooki state in the SMBX games is just Marisa cosplay that much funnier
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Rixithechao wrote: 2 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago wasn't saijee from fss the same person who did that 3d asmt fangame engine that had a rainbow dash powerup
can we please rename this thread "The KobaBeach needs to explain the 3D ASMT Fangame Engine with a Rainbow Dash Powerup NOW thread (ESPECIALLY feat. KobaBeach)" because i think this entire comment has effectively won the thread

Also being reminded of that powerup makes the fact that Demo’s tanooki state in the SMBX games is just Marisa cosplay that much funnier
okay talkhaus once in like 2013 bounced around the idea of a 3d asmt fangame based on sm64, and someone, i think saijeehiguchi, tried to make an engine for it and they showed some powerups like a winged powerup and whatnot. and a video showed a rainbow dash powerup that was basically "wing demo +1, rainbow hair and blue wings edition" and it was very awkward.

and i think it started some shit because "oh no bronies that's cringé i am cringing right now oh no" and i think that basically killed the engine iirc?

saijee also said it made demo look "20% cooler" because of course they did. the videos are sadly gone now
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Re: The KobaBeach needs to explain the 3D ASMT Fangame Engine with a Rainbow Dash Powerup NOW thread (ESPECIALLY feat. K

Post by camwoodstock »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago

okay talkhaus once in like 2013 bounced around the idea of a 3d asmt fangame based on sm64, and someone, i think saijeehiguchi, tried to make an engine for it and they showed some powerups like a winged powerup and whatnot. and a video showed a rainbow dash powerup that was basically "wing demo +1, rainbow hair and blue wings edition" and it was very awkward.

and i think it started some shit because "oh no bronies that's cringé i am cringing right now oh no" and i think that basically killed the engine iirc?

saijee also said it made demo look "20% cooler" because of course they did. the videos are sadly gone now
absolutely amazing /gen

we doubt the videos themselves are backed up on the web archive but i highly bet the threads on the talkhaus are still out here. Somewhere. and that fills us with endless glee

&: I believe Demo is already infinitely cool, personally, and infinity * 1.2 = still infinity, so we evidently didn't need that powerup.
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

that was enough to kill it?!? if so what a shallow reaction from talkhaus
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

TiKi wrote: 2 years ago that was enough to kill it?!? if so what a shallow reaction from talkhaus
to be fair this was like 2013 so the brony fandom and the brony hatedom were both at their peak especially on smwc (and by extention talkhaus). i remember i called the idea the r slur (teen 4channer koba is a terrible gremlin) due to how dumb the idea of making your special interest part of the focal point of a community game if it's not shared by most of the community sounded to me

but i was also fresh from like. having to endure smwc and 4chan's brony bullshit for the past two years, and weirdos being all over "anime fandom"-esque loli/generic submissive waifu fantasies applied to horses. though im not excusing the slur. honestly i dont care much these days, i know it made tangy on discordhaus a bit worried when i brought the post up in a "wow i was really that ableist huh" way and im like adsfjkasdf, just make sure the rest of the collab team is okay with it

i never watched past ep1 but big mac seems like he'd feel nice to hug. red honse lad

EDIT: oh yeah and like no one had any expertise on 3d gamedev so even if the ponies didn't kill it it'd end up going bottom up like the fire emblem hack idea. asmt64 was already dead for a while. im still mad azct was never finished
Image Image
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Re: The Abandoned, Cancelled, And Otherwise Forgotten ASMT Projects Thread (Apparently)

Post by camwoodstock »

TiKi wrote: 2 years ago that was enough to kill it?!? if so what a shallow reaction from talkhaus
EDIT: oh yeah and like no one had any expertise on 3d gamedev so even if the ponies didn't kill it it'd end up going bottom up like the fire emblem hack idea. asmt64 was already dead for a while. im still mad azct was never finished
a lot of people tend to forget that like there's like, a junk drawer of asmt-adjacent projects that simply never had a shot because the people organizing them not only had no experience organizing a project, but no experience in Making something like that project in the first place. it turns out for demo to break the polygon ceiling would require, uh, people on the talkhaus to also break the polygon ceiling, which is Easier Said Than Done it turns out

also i thought azct was Technically still a thing? but considering how it was totally shoved unto development heck maybe not
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach

Re: The Abandoned, Cancelled, And Otherwise Forgotten ASMT Projects Thread (Apparently)

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago also i thought azct was Technically still a thing? but considering how it was totally shoved unto development heck maybe not
i mean. i think nimono and nabe still have the resources but like. no one really uses zelda classic on talkhaus outside of tiki. i would definitely try and get it out the door if i could but i haven't really worked with zelda classic outside of the dungeon i made. there's also been drama involving some dungeon devs, like aposke and shemp, and the project as a whole hasn't been touched on in like Years so. im confused as to why the subforum is still up.
Image Image
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago also i thought azct was Technically still a thing? but considering how it was totally shoved unto development heck maybe not
i mean. i think nimono and nabe still have the resources but like. no one really uses zelda classic on talkhaus outside of tiki. i would definitely try and get it out the door if i could but i haven't really worked with zelda classic outside of the dungeon i made. there's also been drama involving some dungeon devs, like aposke and shemp, and the project as a whole hasn't been touched on in like Years so. im confused as to why the subforum is still up.
I think that the Talkhaus forums could use some cleanup/reorganization in general. For example, there shouldn't even be a link to the JUMP½ subforum on the main page any more, since that project completed three years ago. And is MaGLX: The Lost Levels still being worked on?

Other annoyances are that some of the archived subforums cannot be viewed unless you're logged in (I do most of my browsing while logged out), and that some subforums are nested so deeply, it's a pain to get to (e.g., Main Page -> the gazebo -> archive -> A2MT -> ASMT). Maybe later on I'll formally make some suggestions in the Meta thread.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I agree that ASMT doesn't need to be nested inside A2MT. JUMP isn't nested inside JUMP½, after all. And both JUMP forums could be archived since they're long finished. Maybe SDS too; if there's any serious attempt at making a sequel to it, it can get its own forum then.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago a lot of people tend to forget that like there's like, a junk drawer of asmt-adjacent projects that simply never had a shot because the people organizing them not only had no experience organizing a project, but no experience in Making something like that project in the first place. it turns out for demo to break the polygon ceiling would require, uh, people on the talkhaus to also break the polygon ceiling, which is Easier Said Than Done it turns out
I mean, even those of us familiar with organizing projects have a few tucked away in that drawer! One of the facts of game development -- and this applies to ALL gamedev, not just the indie and hobbyist scenes but also industry development as well -- is that most devs and teams have a veritable iceberg meme's worth of projects that never end up getting finished. Some live and die in near-complete secrecy, some never get past the prototyping phase while others get a ways into development before they get abruptly cancelled or gradually fall apart...

I did mention in my Gaiden 2 commentary that there were a lot of things I tried to set up last year before we fell back on making another SMBX game, and some of those could serve as the foundation for future projects but weren't viable for the time we had left based on how the rest of 2020 was shaping up for me. One such eventual project would likely be a basic Mario 3D Land-style game -- relatively simple platforming mechanics, fixed camera angles (making a good, freely-controllable 3D camera is as every bit complex as you'd think and then some), linear level design and one exit, no overworld map or anything. That'd be a nice manageable scope for a 3D collab.

But nothing like that will happen until after A2XT2 is done. For the time being, there is this thing we made for the 2017 advent, plus this non-ASMT one konaa made a lot more recently which I've been meaning to check out and just haven't gotten to yet.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

time foar the real 2hu drama!!!!!!!

also ruw (zun's legal man) is being a cunt as expected of legal folk

Image Image
Donut

Post by Donut »

Funnily enough, ZUN was completely forthcoming about the character inspirations for EoSD in a very recent event celebrating the game's 20th anniversary. I'm not sure he ever saw it as something to be hidden.

The unlicensed graphics engine for PoDD is a little sad to hear though, and was the wrong thing to do no matter how you look at it. Still, I find it hard to hold against him considering he did it in college nearly 25 years ago for a game that never sold more than a few hundred copies. If anything, I'm left wondering how much of a barrier this would be if ZUN does one day want to officially rerelease the PC-98 games. Though, Ellen baldfacedly being a character straight from a manga ZUN liked is probably the bigger issue.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Donut wrote: 1 year ago Funnily enough, ZUN was completely forthcoming about the character inspirations for EoSD in a very recent event celebrating the game's 20th anniversary. I'm not sure he ever saw it as something to be hidden.
Honestly I love it when people do blatant references to stuff they like, it's super cute. A lot of things I like are made by people in fandom circles. The art theft is super sussy but to be fair he was like 17 at the time, everyone's a fucking dumbass at 17.

Extremely gobsmacked at Sariel's sigil just being Megaten, and Gengetsu and Mai just being a pastel goth child from the Persona 1 manga. The obscure trivia just cured my depression spell.
Donut wrote: 1 year ago The unlicensed graphics engine for PoDD is a little sad to hear though, and was the wrong thing to do no matter how you look at it.
go on??? this sounds hilarious. i agree btw, if it is literally lifted from a PC98 game, you could get your doujin circle in trouble with lawsuits
Image Image
Donut

Post by Donut »

The source is in a tweet from that same person talking about the DMCA, but the cliffnotes version is that the graphics engine is something called SPRITE16, made by someone for what was essentially a PC-98 game jam back in 1996. The license that the person pulled up for the original engine seems to say that others are free to use it (if I'm reading the Japanese right, as opposed to their DeepL translation), but ZUN still replaced the code crediting the original creator with his own name, which is obviously not good. Not sure why he did that if there was no problem with using it in the first place.

EDIT: Doing some more reading, it seems that the engine used was a modified version of SPRITE16 rather than a 1:1 copy of it (though I have no coding knowledge and so cannot tell to what extent it was changed just from the images shown on the site). Given I cannot imagine why ZUN would steal credit solely in an internal file he probably never expected anyone to hack, I wonder if what happened is that he thought that these modifications were enough to justify calling it his own. That's obviously not how it works, but in that case it would be more a show of ignorance than malicious intent.

EDIT EDIT: Okay, doing yet more research, it seems that people who worked with the code referred to it as a "rebrand" instead of a modified engine, suggesting maybe he did just switch out the names. But I'm still left wondering why exactly he did so, to no apparent gain. It's not like he ever claimed the engine as his own outside this one line of code, or harassed other people who used the same engine. Considering it took 20 years for a curious hacker to realize he did something wrong at all, I'm personally willing to write it off as a dumb thing ZUN did way in the past.
Last edited by Donut 1 year ago, edited 8 times in total.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

:pensive:
Image Image
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago going bottom up like the fire emblem hack idea.
For the record, i think this would still be doomed to failure even though the tools for FE have evolved in such a way that collaborating is easier now. FE mod development is already a slog as it is and the projects that do get finished are those with strong executive leads who keep game scope on a tight leash. Coming at it from as alien a territory as Mario (for a collab) just seems futile to me. If someone wants a talkhaus RPG, something made in RPG Maker or SRPG Studio would be more plausible; if it's about exploring new game modding territory, Mega Man or another game with a level editor app (it doesn't have to be Lunar Magic, just something that's better than hex editing alone) would be more familiar.

Oops, i just saw the thread title changed back and the discussion i'm replying to is from months ago. Sorry not sorry.

P.S. my spell check recommended changing "talkhaus" to "Balkhash". Friendly reminder to maintain the ecosystems of your lakes, people!
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Catabo wrote: 1 year ago For the record, i think this would still be doomed to failure even though the tools for FE have evolved in such a way that collaborating is easier now. FE mod development is already a slog as it is and the projects that do get finished are those with strong executive leads who keep game scope on a tight leash. Coming at it from as alien a territory as Mario (for a collab) just seems futile to me. If someone wants a talkhaus RPG, something made in RPG Maker or SRPG Studio would be more plausible; if it's about exploring new game modding territory, Mega Man or another game with a level editor app (it doesn't have to be Lunar Magic, just something that's better than hex editing alone) would be more familiar.

Oops, i just saw the thread title changed back and the discussion i'm replying to is from months ago. Sorry not sorry.
I thought about a Discordhaus RPG for the people there, but I'd need an actual team for at least graphics that aren't ripped from other sources like Tales of Phantasia, Terranigma... Both of which I've actually ripped for MV at one point, SNES!Toltus and the Light Side of the Earth's overworld respectively. Wasn't happy with the scale compared to the base MV sprites though.

I have XP on Steam, and pirated MV and SRPG Studio on hard drive, I'm open to getting RM2000 as well, heard horror stories about VX and I'm not sure if 2003 is translated, if so, I'll consider that one. 95 is obviously too old to run on a lot of recent systems and possibly too limited, not sure of how much you can fuck with events on there. MZ might be unnecessary.
Image Image
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

tell em don miguel sent you
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

uyou ever thikn about how don miguel called himself don miguel but he was actually russian
Image Image
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago uyou ever thikn about how don miguel called himself don miguel but he was actually russian
every superhero names themselves
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Apparently Ruw also DMCA'd the Moriya Shrine links and as someone who used them a lot due to being unable to buy the 2hus, I hope that at the very least ZUN throws that shit on Steam and DLsite so people can buy them more easily? Since Team Shanghai Alice is an indie dev I dont mind this decision as much as I would Nintendo taking down every SNES game ever made from Emuparadise.

It'd be neat if he made a version of EoSD that can run natively on Win10 out of the box too, but like that'll ever happen.
Image Image
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Happy pride month, ZUN still sucks, here's a picture of Reimu wearing a hat.
Hat2hu.png
Hat2hu.png (562 KiB) Viewed 855 times
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

hoje às
Image Image
rena
type 2 invested entity
First name: cat
Pronouns: spider
https://rena.talkhaus.com/

Post by rena »

dam I didnt read this until now but I was hoping the drama would be way jucier

btw a significant number of manga artists also draw hentai lol