(shouting)

romhack shack 改 (discord on OP, but don't abandon the thread!!!)

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

romhack shack 改 (discord on OP, but don't abandon the thread!!!)

Post by KobaBeach »

romhack shack (talkhaus SMW) discord here: romhack shack discord
feel free to join if you're not a fuck

(link excised because dipshits kept logging the fuck on)

Feel free to talk about romhack related activities you've been doing, playing, making etc. Doesn't even have to be Mario.

Currently trying to make a Castlevania whip in SMW, trying to wrangle graphics rn before coding interaction with enemies and the equivalent candle sprite. Making it out of gray bounce beans. Also need to code a subweapon + heart system and its equivalent sprites so the level I'll end up making has more building blocks for situations, so far I'm considering the Cross and Axe, maybe Holy Water. So far I have to debug this shiz.

I might also try to fudge around with screen nukes for them, for the Axe and Holy Water it should be mostly Cluster Sprites and a quick animation, Cross I'll do a little erase background no jutsu (maybe replace it with an HDMA gradient so It's not too ugly) and yeet Layer 2 crosses upwards, then redraw the background at V-blank. I also want to code the werewolf boss from Rondo.

I've also been studying how Julius works, through reverse engineering. I'll do the same with a few more bosses, mostly for practicing special effects and movement. Managed to get "Multi-Mode HDMA" right at "first shot", practicing with covering half of the screen with Mode 0. Before, I tried it with Mode 7 for Rolling Eye from Sky Blazer, but I used Layer 1 for both Mode 7 and Mode 1 so I guess that was my mistake, as Final Fantasy VI used Layer 2 for Mode 1 (the horizon) in its "Magitek Armors heading to Narshe" scene in the prologue.
Last edited by KobaBeach 1 year ago, edited 5 times in total.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
admacXx2
freelance duck
First name: Adam

Re: romhack shack 改

Post by admacXx2 »

I started playing ASMT recently. Despite it being such an old hack at this point I've still never beaten it.

I intend to change that this run.

Also I dig the little programmy thing where if you type A Super Mario Thing you get Luigi Time.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Argumentable wrote:I was gonna post it in the cartidge but I'd rather this thought be lost in time; sometimes I think about finishing the map on my SMW romhack and posting it somewhere even though it uses that old lakitu boss that doesn't work on some emulators and also has other issues but then I go "gross" and don't
bam, preserved forever

this is your punishment for not beating launch octopus dashless fast enough, bucko

(all future posts that attempt to derail this thread by focusing on this post instead will be deleted)
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago Currently trying to make a Castlevania whip in SMW
I remember a long time ago there was someone who was trying to recreate Dracula X in SMW. They made most of the first level I think and implemented a very buggy whip that M a r i o could use. I have no idea whose project that was or what it was called, but I remember being impressed by it, probably not too surprising considering I remember it like a decade+ later. Not really relevant to what you're doing but I wanted to share anyway dang it

I was playing through The Unworld (original version) a little at a time. It's a decent hack with a very unique take on palettes. It hasn't been that hard so far so I was flying through it, currently on World 4, I believe. I plan to play the remake at some point, but who knows when that'll be.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

HatKid wrote: 3 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago Currently trying to make a Castlevania whip in SMW
I remember a long time ago there was someone who was trying to recreate Dracula X in SMW.
That sounds insane, but they should have gone with Rondo, if its special effects are possible on the SMW engine, SNES hardware and with Lunar Magic's ASM getting in the way, because I'm pretty sure they'd make the weird "broken glass" room of Bloodlines impossible to recreate.

I'm sorry, I just don't like DracX.
Image Image
HatKid

Post by HatKid »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago
HatKid wrote: 3 years ago I remember a long time ago there was someone who was trying to recreate Dracula X in SMW.
That sounds insane, but they should have gone with Rondo, if its special effects are possible on the SMW engine, SNES hardware and with Lunar Magic's ASM getting in the way, because I'm pretty sure they'd make the weird "broken glass" room of Bloodlines impossible to recreate.

I'm sorry, I just don't like DracX.
Fair enough, there's a lot of things to not like about Dracula X
I went digging and I found the thread. From 2009, so it's even older than I remember. Also looks like they didn't get very far so there's not really much to look at.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

HatKid wrote: 3 years ago Fair enough, there's a lot of things to not like about Dracula X
I went digging and I found the thread. From 2009, so it's even older than I remember. Also looks like they didn't get very far so there's not really much to look at.
The video embed may be broken, but there's video proof of the working whip!

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 3 years ago The video embed may be broken, but there's video proof of the working whip!

i dont want to be mean since this is 2009 and the best thing there was, was like Roy and carol's work but man this is Extra Jank. props to the dude for trying though, i wish smw people did absurd bullshit like this more often
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Yeah I shoulda put quotes like proof of the "working" whip but hey it's absolutely a thing that exists and functions, I couldn't even adjust the firing rate of a fire nipper so I'm in no place to judge
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 3 years ago Yeah I shoulda put quotes like proof of the "working" whip but hey it's absolutely a thing that exists and functions, I couldn't even adjust the firing rate of a fire nipper so I'm in no place to judge
dude (if you are a dude, not sure of your pronouns or gender) assembly is like Stupid.

that's all i can describe it as, Absolutely Stupid.

don't feel bad you have a hard time understanding it. i encourage anyone who tries to get into coding SNES ASM for their own smoo romhacks but holy hot damn modern programming languages have spoiled the masses, there's a reason the sm64 decompilation uses C instead of MIPS ASM. i think that one recent saturn homebrew engine/kit or whatever (i have not looked into it i just know it exists) uses C too because God Have You Seen SH-2 Assembly With Two Processors Working In Tandem Like Good God

there was a port of SMW's code to C that someone did, but it was abandoned, I actually have it on my MEGA account along with like. a SaGa Frontier ISO a friend wanted because I don't have discord nitro, MedGUI for another friend, 3d models for Sizebox (yes that is a kink thing i will not go into detail), and some other stuff i forgot. john fortnite kennedy is also porting SMW to windows for some reason, but I don't think he's using C, so I don't know if we could repurpose his code for a supposed compiler version of Asar that doesn't exist and that I Will Not Code Fuck That Shit With A Railroad Spike.

still hope more saturn translation patches end up being made as a few more get plopped out and documentation grows. maybe shiroki majo will get translated if geofront decides to tackle the ordeal that is gagharv /tangent
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I might make some basic custom Castlevania enemies for my KobaMario slash maybe A3MT? level because hhhhh I don't want to cover like a few bases in terms of vanilla enemy interaction (i'm not gonna use every enemy in the game in one stage i find that absurd) if I'm not gonna release it in any format other than a level because it's a hot mess internally probably and i'm too lazy to comment it for anyone but myself???? lol. i've tried to make it as clean as i can though

What I have left for the whip code is basically adjusting graphical tile placements possibly to make it flow better (Asar's negative literal support and math features are making this so much easier to code) and set up damage interaction with other sprites. Coding the hitbox is no biggie I can do that with minimal example code necessitation, but I had to dig out my Leaf Shield to find the interaction code.

I'll at least make a jump table (think switch cases) with the executeptr routine to load different routines based on Sprite Number if the sprite is vanilla. It's gonna be a lot of bloat in terms of size with the amount of sprites SMW has, but I'm lazy. I might turn it into a small if else sandwich and remove code once I get the sprites I want in the level. Custom Sprites will probably just have a sprite table to denote which interaction to use.

This is probably terrible coding but whatever i dont care
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

KobaBeach — Hoje às 19:24
anyway ive beat wild arms 2 and honestly? carol might have been trying to invoke the kuiper core final boss battle with the nova battle by playing the lord blazer battle theme, but they probably just didnt like the kuiper core battle theme or there was simply no midi of it online

bebn legg — Hoje às 19:27
>simply no midi of it online
that's such a mood

KobaBeach — Hoje às 19:34
kuiper core is basically invoked by one of the characters using demon summoning on another character (can't say who it's spoilers) to harness the central core of the kuiper belt into himself as a sort of host body so the protags can defeat it as it's become a being rather than just being a world or dimension that was about to feast on filgaia (the main planet of the wild arms series) for sustenance, thanks to the mana energy of the four focal elemental points (raypoints) in filgaia, augmented by the power of the live reflectors of the three main countries (essentially country border mana teleporters), turning into a massive literal trapezohedron of energy and mana which crashlanded in filgaia, letting it access glaive le gable beneath, the guardian of mud (guardian = summons, gods basically) and effectively, the primordial ooze below filgaia's crust. and as its a living being now, it's tangible and able to be destroyed.
and glaive le gable, the kuiper belt, kind of match heart of nova, the smaller nova inside
don't worry if you don't get it
though i could also just be bullshitting and carol just wanted to make the shmup section but didn't know how to make the background effect
i'd personally use sprites for both the background columns and the foreground columns and use like a binary table to denote the broken ones to show
like make each cannon a sprite, make the background another sprite, have a miscellaneous sprite table that serves as a sort of table that just AND gates what graphic to show
if the cannon dies have it set one bit
making it scroll properly would be a bit complex so i'd honestly go over it with someone else for the logic
maybe have it spawn a new background column each screen
have it draw bit by bit the more mario moves
i should check out what's the level building code and if it can be run through uberasm, that could be a fun gag
brutal mario did something like it but from what i can tell it's probably more on off exanim

(...)

KobaBeach — Hoje às 19:44
it'd be neat if i could upload a portion of foreground to a level partway through a stage
i probably can if its compressed but
shrug
jump half did something like it but i have no idea of the code
man im truly becoming carol 2

(...)

I think I found it
basically [$05D7B3], jump to [$05D8B7]
gonna build a pair of like... three screen levels? so i can extract their hex with a hex editor and conk it onto a levelasm file to see if i can do in-level level loading based on the on/off flag's state

I guess you could call this dynamic level loading? it's more boolean level loading than anything
please ignore the jrpg brainworms i just really like wild arms

as for castlevania, i'm gonna make a level prototype to decide the enemies the whip will deal with. i might extend the radius of the whip two beans further so there's more let for the player as you'd have in a castlevania game, so far it's 3 beans long, i'll extend the hitbox a bit to make it easier on the player as a non-romhack game dev would do. ofc i'll use the ghost house stairs, who do you think i am
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

the other day i was rewatching the a2mt lp and man ometeotl seriously made the choice of making all his palettes extremely strong shades of contrasting colors as well as making a level with both the true mirror from baten kaitos and the first bleach ending theme in it like god damn. bitch really woke up and chose violence #SajinKomamuraIsMyDaddyInAGayWay
Image Image
LethalBrownies
Coming soon to own on DVD

Post by LethalBrownies »

So far my favorite boss in ASMT is Rumia of castle of #5. It manages to stay fun despite the bullet hell elements and with a blindness segment at the very end. I'm not particularly into Touhou myself (I would like to be though, so if someone could point me in the right direction to jump into the franchise I would hyper appreciate) but so far the references have been quite humorous. I especially liked her sprite, haha~ It was rather adorable and puny yet menacing at the same time.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

rumia is especially good, charles has some kinks to work out (mostly the layout) but it's from 2010 so
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Submitted my MIDI -> AMK/MML converter to SMWC today :mgmn: :mgmn: :mgmn:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

congratulations
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Thanks, it currently has 26 downloads and someone gave it a 5 star rating. I'm not sure who are the non-moderator people that are downloading and running sketchy .exe files from a user who has made 10 posts in 12 years. I'm also just not how sure this moderation system for tools works in general cause I see there's currently mine and 4 other submissions in the queue for tool moderation and 2 of them are from January.

Like am I allowed to make a post in the forums about it to get the word out? Maybe I should ask on the actual form instead of talkhaus!
HatKid

Post by HatKid »

I think moderation in general lately has been really slow in general on SMWC, especially for the sections that don't get much activity like tools.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

as an enjoyer of the bosses in kirby super star and sonic 3 amd/or knuckles it has been a very hard pill for me to swallow that smw hacks will almost never be good eatin' when it comes to bosses
LethalBrownies
Coming soon to own on DVD

Post by LethalBrownies »

TiKi wrote: 3 years ago as an enjoyer of the bosses in kirby super star and sonic 3 amd/or knuckles it has been a very hard pill for me to swallow that smw hacks will almost never be good eatin' when it comes to bosses
Is this true or is this just stinkin' thinkin' ?
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

KTB's tweet still rings in my mind a bit. I wasn't thinking in going back to SMWC outside of recovering my account in a few years to upload stuff to the site for people to use but. I dunno I'm just a bit out of it? SMW hacking feels a bit aimless for me right now. Not depressed or going through another episode wrt SMWC, I don't know if idol's still mad at me or not and it's out of my control right now despite my apology so Whatever. But I just feel a bit lost in terms of my craft. The pursuit of knowledge and self-improvement is my raison d'être, and bebn would probably encourage me to continue but... It all feels a bit ambivalent.

this sucks man
LethalBrownies wrote: 3 years ago
TiKi wrote: 3 years ago as an enjoyer of the bosses in kirby super star and sonic 3 amd/or knuckles it has been a very hard pill for me to swallow that smw hacks will almost never be good eatin' when it comes to bosses
Is this true or is this just stinkin' thinkin' ?
It's technically true like um... It's mostly due to two factors: Mario's moveset, and the architecture of the platform, 65C816 Assembly.

Assembly as it is, is mostly instructions, or opcodes paired with numbers, serving as values and addresses, controlled by registers in memory. Addresses contain values and are usually used as routines as boolean flags, table pointers, coordinates and so on and so forth. It's a much more simplified (but not streamlined, the complete opposite of streamlined) way of coding than say C# or Lua, being considered basically readable machine code, each of the instructions corresponding to a byte in hex, not sure how many instructions x86-64 has but it should be in the hundreds, especially with all the permutations of opcodes. Because of that, it's much harder to learn for the common non-programmer than trying to pick up Ruby or JavaScript in RPG Maker (JavaScript is apparently garbo though one of my exes used to code in that, probably because he worked at Apple, I hope he's doing okay).

SNES uses a WDC 65C816 variant called the Ricoh 5A22, a hybrid 8-bit/16-bit microprocessor, thus using the 65C816 architecture for its ASM. Of the consoles of the time it's definitely one of the hardest ASM architectures to learn to code for, with the MegaDrive and Neo Geo using the more flexible Motorola 68000 chip, PC Engine using a variant of the WDC 65C02 chip and the Game Boy and Game Gear both using the Zilog Z80.

Due to this, coding basic sprites is seen as a struggle for beginning coders in the SMW hacking front. A complex sprite with a more thought out pattern than just walk back and forth and poop out a fireball? That's just too much for most people who just began reading Ersanio's tutorials a week ago.

As for Mario's moveset, it is extremely simplistic. As he has no weapon or any special moves other than:
  • Spin Jump
  • Jump
  • Cape Thwack (with a powerup)
  • Fireball (with a powerup)
  • Throwing things
It's a hassle to code a fun boss. You have to come up with one or more attack patterns that's fun to dodge, depending on how many phases you want to code, possibly custom sprites that spawn if you want custom projectiles or even sort of "Assists" or "Strikers", in fighting game terms, and whatnot. And on top of that you have to come up with a way where you can damage it in a fun way. A lot of people are heavily critical of early, Japanese made custom bosses due to their Kirby and Doki Doki Panic style methods of fighting back through items they provide as attacks. Heck just bosses that only let you attack by giving you an opening. A lot of the times, they just give you one opening to toss a block or jump on them after cycling through three or so long attack patterns to counter the fact that all Mario can do without relying on power ups is jumping and throwing.

Most people in the Mario hacking community focus more on the level building side of the art of game making, rather than the boss or enemy designing. The enemies that get made are usually designed to add to the level or be recreations of encounters from other games. A lot of the times, people just don't know how to make a fun boss, or it's too much effort for someone doing it as a hobby, or they fear the end result of people spamming their PM box with "pls relaese bos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ur hakc loko good pls giv dmemo :( :( :(".

As you can see, these are the reasons why custom bosses are very rare in the Super Mario World hacking scene. It's a shame, but without expanding Mario's moveset, which is very hard with a patch based coding environment - I think lx5 refuses to do anything with his powerups other than maintain stability updates - just coming up with bosses is just out of a lot of people's wheelhouses. Even carol had to expand Mario's moveset with some of their bosses, like Meta Knight (Sword Kirby), Ludwig (Ring Boomerang), even the Seven Koopalings (SaGa style techs and magic).
Image Image
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Finished making my first SMW level ever! There are two exits, and it's completely vanilla. No Map16 shenanigans or anything that you would see in a modern VLDC level. Here's the download link in case anyone wants to try it out: Running Shell

I think the level's a bit on the hard side, but not Kaizo difficulty. Also, it might be a little janky, but Talkhaus loves jank, right? There's a glitched graphic somewhere, but I'll let you find out what it is. This is a first version, because I'm sure I'll fix/tweak things later. Here are a couple of screenshots:

Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i actually started work on a mario level a few weeks back but i haven't been feeling the mood to design it further recently, so far i need to code some stuff (i like designing things to my own specifications) as well as rip exgfx myself for the second area (it's a small marathon castle like carol's lategame castles) so i can work without having to take up too many palettes.

music im thinking of making an MSU1 version with the audio i want (mostly rpg stuff and other mood setting stuff, if i make a boss or two i'll probably use the deathsmiles boss theme for the midboss for example since it's in a castle, maybe a falcom track too) and a standard version with smwc ports i like for people who play on console and whatnot

psi ninja's levels on their site and an advice from ages ago courtesy of bebn inspired me to do single levels. name for now is Castle Siege but i'll try to come up with something better once i'm done

ow (graphics from wild arms):

intro area (a few screens of going to the right, graphics from battle arena toshinden and dracula x):

first area concept:
Image Image
zefennekinfan
Pronouns: He

Post by zefennekinfan »

Hellooooo

I am currently making a hack of zombies ate my neighbors that critiques and replicates oldschool-like levels, using elements like cut-offs. Im using a lot of references to old smw hacks in level titles actualy. I was also working on a new color palette for the game but it did not turn out so great x) There is a lot of red when its not supposed to be, Plus, there doesnt seems to be any errors in the hex code so Idk what to fix. And, generally speaking, the colors dont fit really well together, so I am thinking of restarting from scratch.