(shouting)

romhack shack 改 (discord on OP, but don't abandon the thread!!!)

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
zefennekinfan
Pronouns: He

Re: romhack shack 改

Post by zefennekinfan »

admacXx2 wrote: 3 years ago I started playing ASMT recently. Despite it being such an old hack at this point I've still never beaten it.
I've been doing that aswell! I first found the hack when someone im subscribed to played a level (echoing call to be exact) and I had to play it for myself.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

zefennekinfan wrote: 2 years ago
admacXx2 wrote: 3 years ago I started playing ASMT recently. Despite it being such an old hack at this point I've still never beaten it.
I've been doing that aswell! I first found the hack when someone im subscribed to played a level (echoing call to be exact) and I had to play it for myself.
ASMT is a game that has "Aged Poorly" but it has a lot of merit, especially in how raw its amateurishness is. You can really feel the heart that went in a lot of levels, and its a similar feeling that VIP has, though VIP tends to have better levels.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
zefennekinfan

Post by zefennekinfan »

You summed it well, like how you can see the heart and the ''amateurism''. I think this term is what I mean when I say I like oldchool stuff. I think it aged just fine tho, from an outside perspective at least. It didnt need to be perfect back then. I love Vip 1 And Vip 3. Man, I want hack collabs to be popular again, but not like contests and stuff... xD
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

i don't know the term for it but it feels like sort of the same thing that's happening to CVs where once upon a time graduating high school was impressive but then too many people graduated high school and then getting a bachelor's degree was impressive but then too many people got a bachelor's degree and now to stand out you need a master's degree. i think a lot of that type of thing is happening in the romhack and fangame scenes (hell even the "kickstarter indie game" scene too*) where the standards increase disproportionately to how much easier it is to meet those standards. my hypothesis is that it's just like the employer situation where people who get spoiled for choice but have a limited number of slots get arbitrarily high standards, and i don't know how to solve it because how do i tell people to waste their precious time playing things that they don't enjoy as much as something else?

*though that was also partly ruined by what blazehedgehog explains as companies using kickstarter to "prove interest" to investors or get "bonus money" where the kickstarter isn't their entire budget, but these impressive-looking games trick people into thinking "this is what a normal kickstarter game looks like" and the games that are ACTUALLY reliant on kickstarter look worse in comparison because they don't have/aren't spending as if they'll get a professional-size budget
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i just want vip style bullshit to be more of a thing alongside super vanilla world butts and kaizo 2000
Image Image
zefennekinfan

Post by zefennekinfan »

TiKi wrote: 2 years ago i don't know the term for it but it feels like sort of the same thing that's happening to CVs where once upon a time graduating high school was impressive but then too many people graduated high school and then getting a bachelor's degree was impressive [...] i think a lot of that type of thing is happening in the romhack and fangame scenes (hell even the "kickstarter indie game" scene too*) where the standards increase disproportionately to how much easier it is to meet those standards.
That's a very interesting analogy! The more something is done, the less impresive it is, and I guess people over the years has done and played a lot of vanilla stuff and are looking for more, therefore chocolate has become the most optional choice to be the best. In that regard, I might add that any sort of community or people collaboration that involves making the best to be the best has that effect too.

For me, I started to realise this when I played vldc8 and vldc9. (super mario world central vannila level contests) in vldc8, I had legitimate fun, although some levels were hard or terrible, their placement by the points given by judges felt fair. In vldc9 though... ouhlouloulouuuu....
In that game, levels have a higher rating for looking the least vannila! (I even played a level that had a softlock in it and it was showing nowhere in the rating lol). Like this for example, how is this supposed to be vanilla? The tiles are cut in half! :partygator:
''Triangle dimension''.

Like, I get that even if its a vanilla contest, the most impressive should win, but not if the most impressive is also not fun, which vldc9 suffered from a lot.
The winner level felt awful to play, and the judge levels too. I had more fun with the ''worst'' levels than in the ''best'' levels. In a vanilla contest, impressiveness, imo, should not be more important than fun. And, with those titles of hacks, it can be misleading.
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago i just want vip style bullshit to be more of a thing alongside super vanilla world butts and kaizo 2000
I feel you man, I believe the same. As much as the hacking scene for smw has evolved, those type of levels and hacks have a feel to them, they feel genuine and natural, that is what I am looking for.

Many hacks nowadays has a fast retry button when you die, I miss having to go back to the overworld everytime I die, I like having to rewind myself out of situations myself, If I play with tools, too. Plus, this is a little problem I have, why are you hacking smw if its just to make it the more out of the box and impressive you can. I want to play a hack of super mario world because I like super mario world so much, not because I like having stuff blasted on my screen every second that I can't recognise that becomes confusing. If you are too chocolate, it doesnt feel natural to play like super mario world would.

For me, I trace the line when the hack uses code, like fast retry, or fast overworld walk. Custom music, palettes, sprites bosses etc are fine, but it's when you transform smw into something it's not that it bothers me. Text display is almost off limits... complete custom tiles levels are too much.

Hacks like vip mario, brutal mario and such have difficulty, but you can understand it because you know it, its super mario world. Being able to understand it, I think, gives it it's novelty.

Big rant btw sorry, this is a passionate subject of mine. xD
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

zefennekinfan wrote: 2 years ago I feel you man, I believe the same. As much as the hacking scene for smw has evolved, those type of levels and hacks have a feel to them, they feel genuine and natural, that is what I am looking for.

Many hacks nowadays has a fast retry button when you die, I miss having to go back to the overworld everytime I die, I like having to rewind myself out of situations myself, If I play with tools, too. Plus, this is a little problem I have, why are you hacking smw if its just to make it the more out of the box and impressive you can. I want to play a hack of super mario world because I like super mario world so much, not because I like having stuff blasted on my screen every second that I can't recognise that becomes confusing. If you are too chocolate, it doesnt feel natural to play like super mario world would.

For me, I trace the line when the hack uses code, like fast retry, or fast overworld walk. Custom music, palettes, sprites bosses etc are fine, but it's when you transform smw into something it's not that it bothers me. Text display is almost off limits... complete custom tiles levels are too much.

Hacks like vip mario, brutal mario and such have difficulty, but you can understand it because you know it, its super mario world. Being able to understand it, I think, gives it it's novelty.

Big rant btw sorry, this is a passionate subject of mine. xD
I can't believe I'm saying this as a former huge Brutal Mario fan but I Feel This Like Fuck

I don't mind fast retry, fast walk etc because those are conveniences, QoL stuff, and practically needed if you're gonna do Kaizo that's meant to also be played on console where tools don't exist, but when you start to go full on Sicari or whatever (please forgive me Eevee, I still like you and I don't think your hack is bad) I just lose interest entirely because it's just tangentially Mario. Even stuff like Devious Four/Randorland/SMW2+3 is like. Too much. It feels like cheap fanfiction than Mario and that's not really what I'm looking for.

ASMT is just right because it didn't take itself seriously (Demo x Con is literally played for laughs, I'm pretty sure if it was serious it'd be like for reals) and was primarily a Mario fangame with raocowverse elements and a few talkhaus injokes, and when it decided to spin off into more of its own spin on Mario, it stopped being a hack, allowing for it to spread its wings further than be constrained by the SNES and the SMW engine.

If you want to put in random characters as bosses like Brutal Mario having Mammon Machine, ASMT having Rumia, VIP5 having Julius (with a dash of Wario Land: Shake It!'s Shake King, SaGa Frontier 2's Egg, possibly FFX's Seymour Omnis? and MMX8's Lumine) or SMWCP having Undine, hell even Mario Gives Up having Dunce, fine, but when it gets to like actual attempts at storytelling it just feels out of place, which is ironic as I'm a huge RPG slut, and right now I'm getting into WRPGs alongside my main boys JRPGs and I'm digging Fallout's super verbose dialogue and moodsetting.

I've been interested in Ganymede, though, but I feel that's because its attempt at storytelling seems more subdued and less intrusive than most story centric romhacks. Basically I play Mario hacks for Mario, not fanfiction or indie fiction. No offense ofc.
Image Image
zefennekinfan

Post by zefennekinfan »

I like to start and abandon projects on a weekly basis, and here I am: I started making a full smbx2 game. I have already three levels complete, and am working on a fourth, but I have a problem and need help.

So, I have discovered by myself how to use custom music on the levels and overworld, how to make custom tiles, sprites and backgrounds, I have worked arround some easy events triggers and etc, but there is this one thing I can't figure out.

I know how to modify a sprite's size and frames, aswell as many other parameters, but I cannot find how to modify a block's size and frames.
I have tried making a custom npc instance and changing the name to the block I wanna change but It did not detect it. Here's what I want to do:

I want to change this 32x by 32y, 1 frame, hurt block.
block-672g.png
block-672g.png (283 Bytes) Viewed 3895 times
Into this 32x by 32y, 4 frames hurt block
block-672.png
block-672.png (481 Bytes) Viewed 3895 times
The reason there's 4 frames instead of two is because I tried using a lava tile since it has 4 frames, which it worked but did not have the effect I was looking for, that it that npcs die in it and you die one shot, while I want npcs to walk on it and not one-shot you, and I'm too lazy to change it now.
Also, making it so npcs can walk on it did not work well, and I tried using a bone projectile, but that one was go-through and checking the ''npcs and you can walk on it'' make it so it didnt hurt you anymore, FACEPALM.

Can someone make this dream become a reality? x)

---
I also want to make the tilted big pipe from smw level 1, but that I know how to do already, using slide tiles from other tilsets! Plus the magenta rectangle since it's not in smbx2 uwu

EDIT: WAIT NO NEVERMIND, I am a genius, that DOES WORK to change the npc instance as a block instance when it doesnt let you in editor, BUT I HAD MISPELLED IT, from block-672 to blobk-672 nevermind meeeeeee :reimuko:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i tried playing vip1 with a dualshock 4 and Man. playing mario hacks for the first time using a controller is Hell. and man im not shocked mario maker 2 has spinjump on r this control scheme man.

me: man why don't i hack mario more
me after like ten minutes of asm hacking: Image

trying to make a full mario hack including the castle level i was working on. starting with a simple plains level to get my feet wet, but i want to code in goombas and smb2u enemies that are similar to seawar's rendition. i still haven't gotten around to making my shy guy functional, but i did draw the programmer art!!!!!
zefennekinfan wrote: 2 years ago EDIT: WAIT NO NEVERMIND, I am a genius, that DOES WORK to change the npc instance as a block instance when it doesnt let you in editor, BUT I HAD MISPELLED IT, from block-672 to blobk-672 nevermind meeeeeee :reimuko:
i felt that

smbx2 is technically not romhack but it's confluent enough with mario romhack culture that i'll allow it, speaking as the forum's romhack bitch
Image Image
zefennekinfan

Post by zefennekinfan »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago smbx2 is technically not romhack but it's confluent enough with mario romhack culture that i'll allow it, speaking as the forum's romhack bitch
I tried searching smbx and smbx2 in the search bar but it only gave me a smbx vs lunar magic thread, imagine If I had created a new thread just for that LMAO

And man, I feel you on that one too. I once changed from a gamecube usb controller to a pro controller and maaaan I was not having fun the first week.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

zefennekinfan wrote: 2 years ago I tried searching smbx and smbx2 in the search bar but it only gave me a smbx vs lunar magic thread, imagine If I had created a new thread just for that LMAO
The infighting was so dum

SMWC also had some LM vs. SMM threads and man they were really dumb because like, Mario Maker, Lunar Magic, SMBX, they all cater to different audiences, especially with their different physics.

Mario Maker is for super casual audiences who prefer their editors right in the game, Lunar Magic is for those who like the nitty gritty of things and to work in the constraints of the SNES, hell even playing on the SNES using SD2SNES and the like, SMBX2 is for those who want as much freedom as possible, especially with Lua, but even without Lua, there is still a lot of freedom due to being a Windows executable.
zefennekinfan wrote: 2 years ago And man, I feel you on that one too. I once changed from a gamecube usb controller to a pro controller and maaaan I was not having fun the first week.
All the experience I've accumulated in like 10+ years of Mario romhacking playing was on keyboard. I only used my DualShock 4 and Vita to play RPGs (Vay, Lunar 1&2, Terranigma, Legend of Heroes, Momotarou Densetsu, Riviera, Wild Arms, PoPoLoCrois, Arc the Lad). oop

Also Link's Awakening, Jumping Flash (raocow should play this series), the PSX version of Mega Man 1, BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend and Battle Arena Toshinden but details

Fun fact did you know Lunar Magic has like a bunch of references to weird shit in its code like. "Chelsea is cute!" is Tales of Destiny, I think, "Amy is cute!" is Sonic, "ChibiMoon" is Chibi-Usa from Sailor Moon, Chocobo is obvious, every hack has the string "I'm Nall, and I like fiiish" or whatever hidden in it, when edited by Lunar Magic or when locked, which is a character from the Lunar games (which are bomb as fuck, please play them, content warning for a bunch of punch down humor courtesy of the localizers, I hate it too).

I really just wanted to mention Nall, he's the best.
Image Image
zefennekinfan

Post by zefennekinfan »

I am challenging myself to recreate these map16 lunar magic tiles in the smb3 cave tileset for SMBX2
grotte lunarmagic custom tileset.png
grotte lunarmagic custom tileset.png (14.29 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
Making my own SMBX2 game is really fun so far!
-edit-
Finished product! :D
grotte lunarmagic custom tileset.png
grotte lunarmagic custom tileset.png (10.39 KiB) Viewed 3859 times
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i got bored and emailed carol yesterday asking if they're doing alright. don't expect a reply
Image Image
zefennekinfan

Post by zefennekinfan »

I impress myself. Today, I ripped Brutal Mario World's level 138 tileset + customised for a yoshi's island SMBX2 tileset that has overall 127 tiles. I loved making this one, as there is A LOT of opportunities for customisation, hence 127 tiles, like mixing up flowers and fluff placements and drawings in the ground. I could have seriously went more overboard with it.
zefennekinfan yoshis island tileset brutal mario world for smbx2..png
zefennekinfan yoshis island tileset brutal mario world for smbx2..png (51.34 KiB) Viewed 3837 times
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

zefennekinfan wrote: 2 years ago Image
nice
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

yoshi's island flower garden is a really good tileset with a lot of variety. im tilemapping illiterate so thinking about the many variants of one tile you can have isn't really my thing but it's a very underrated tileset for sure.

anyway im making a shyguy and a basic layer 2 boss, asking von fahrenheit for help. figuring out how to do dma uploads is really hard. i'm using a hijack instead of uberasm.

Thought about making a small chat group for the romhacking peoples of the talkhaus, unless codehaus fits that purpose? The romhacking channel on discordhaus is basically dead. We could also use it to talk about contest and collab ideas there to help organize renewed interest in SMW hacking amongst talkhausers, with a little SMBX conversation pit for those who are into both (bi-marial :bi_pride: or pan-marial :pan_pride: if you will). If anyone's interested feel free to post here, though I do want this thread to still have discussion, as I am of the same opinion as Leet that restricting everything to Discord can stifle openness about projects.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Layer 2 boss graphics set up (well the programmer art) and I've learned how to upload to DMA! ^^ Puzzling on what to do next. I feel like I can do anything! Thinking of learning LunaLua on the side.

might turn smw's crash handler (which is none) into a reset, might try to see what i can do with mode 7, whether it's best to use the easy m7 patch on smwc or if i can finagle something for myself. irqs would be nice too for bits where i want one screen mode on one part of the screen and another on another, hdmas can be handled with uberasm. i feel powerful! but very stupid!

might try to draw some shy guy graphics to help myself get ahold of spriting with the help of motorroach teaching me
gonna try to port some songs with the help of bebn legg too
von fahrenheit can help me with asm as much as he can
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

practice sprites done to help teach myself how to sprite for smw and smbx2 development, and possible game maker development down the line.

the shyguy was inspired by smb2 all stars, but the shading method is more mario & wario, i have a fondness for game freak's artstyles (bushi seiryuuden, pokémon gen 3-5, pulseman...).

the wily capsule #7 (the #7 is not part of the name, but i add it just to differentiate it like the wily machines) was a more standard eye to pixel transition, followed by an attempt at redrawing and coloring, the latter being what you see before you. it's a bit too similar to the original that i worry it comes off as a cheap edit, but i promise i actually drew it from scratch in graphics gale!!!!!!! i used the original as a reference.

it's easier to see if you flip between the two, the nose hole is smaller, the pose is a bit different, the definition of the skull's ridges changed a bit...
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i've been using my smw twitter a lot more these past few days and let me tell you it's been Gay

the big Fuck:
ImageImage
So far I've made like three small demos of my main hack, you can find the backlog on my main hacking page. Here's some example screenshots of the two stages
Been practicing Dynamic HDMA (also some subscreen shenanigans, it's imperfect as shit but I don't care), it's still a bit unfinished but I got the sun wiggling fixed thanks to Sonikku. No the sun does not look like that inhack. It is based on Goemon 2's stage 1-2, though.
ImageImageImage
My current baby, the Rat Boye from Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shogun McGuinness. It is very jank and terrible, extremely cursed and poorly coded. I will not lie this piece of shit is extremely spaghetti as all hell and I'm not sure it even controls well like it's barely above carol tier. I'm not planning on doing anything precise with this, the stage it's in is just a linear "mow down all the baddies" style thing. It would be unfair to the player to force them to make this garbage work. If God wills it, maybe Von Fahrenheit can help me fine tune it to feel less like shit to use but I'm not expecting much. So far I'm trying to figure out how to unspaghettify the code and add a jumping mechanic and a proper "stop when the fucking wall is in the way" mechanic. First pic was a shitpost btw
And yet I still have to work on that little Up n' Down there! Inspired by carol's Kaminari Kogoro in the Mega Man stage, but hopefully with more natural movement, kind of like a Piranha Plant than a weird hopping piranha. Puresabe's Up n' Downs in 4MI were also an influence.
ImageImage
*scary movie voice* but wait there's more
I decided to make a more VIP/SMW Gaiden style romp (can you call a VIP stage a romp??? no) hack with mostly SMWC and related assets (I might still code a dumb final boss) to help unwind between coding sessions and to practice level design. For all intents and purposes, its called Proud Mario, after Proud Mode from Kingdom Hearts and the Pride Lands from Lion King (shout outs to my boy kimba tho), but it can also be LGBTQ+ pride why not. It's basically a scrap book of pointless nonsense, expect a bit of dumb shit, but I'll mostly keep the stupider shit as optional as possible, I've thought about a Boon's Trick House inspired Ancient Cave (Lufia 2 yeah) stage that is randomized and is complete bullshit but you don't earn an exit from doing it so it's just for those who want to. So far this first stage, DoDonPachi, is primarily based on Beezo platforms (courtesy of mikeyk) and sprite platforms, it's inspired by xfix's Where No Man Lands from JUMP 1/2, which stuck with me deeper than it should because it felt the closest to a 2D Sunshine bonus stage and I just vibe with that shit super hard /sunshinedefensesquad. there's also bullet bills
the crunk
Image Image
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

there is this one flashing green pixel in the mouse kart's second frame, i would also suggest making the fireball faster so that you can't outrun your own projectile and you don't have to wait as long to get enemies out of the way, which will be especially important if you're using those chucks that I see in the VRAM because they take five hits. excellent work otherwise! and to be fair to you the only other vehicles that i've seen in smw (subpop, rocket barrel, and skull kart) are also extremely jank, and yours has the added bonus of not being deadly jank like those last two. i also have to admit i don't know why the upper left two 16x16 tiles of the mouse kart are duplicated in the VRAM, you could scratch that out and add in the second up n' down frame
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

TiKi wrote: 2 years ago there is this one flashing green pixel in the mouse kart's second frame,
i know *mic drop* i have to fix it
TiKi wrote: 2 years agoi would also suggest making the fireball faster so that you can't outrun your own projectile
you can't i set it to the same speed
TiKi wrote: 2 years agoand you don't have to wait as long to get enemies out of the way, which will be especially important if you're using those chucks that I see in the VRAM because they take five hits.
i'm not
TiKi wrote: 2 years agoexcellent work otherwise! and to be fair to you the only other vehicles that i've seen in smw (subpop, rocket barrel, and skull kart) are also extremely jank, and yours has the added bonus of not being deadly jank like those last two.
only because i set it to stop when mario gets blocked, still need to refine that
TiKi wrote: 2 years agoi also have to admit i don't know why the upper left two 16x16 tiles of the mouse kart are duplicated in the VRAM, you could scratch that out and add in the second up n' down frame
the wheel and i still can add a second up n down frame

thank you anyway im only being bitchy because im a tire and i don't like being told to do things because spoons are constantly low
Image Image
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years agothank you anyway im only being bitchy because im a tire and i don't like being told to do things because spoons are constantly low
you thought this came off as bitchy? you kept a more level head than you seem to realize and you should be proud of yourself if this is how nice you act when you're feeling cranky. i can't say i do as good a job of it
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

TiKi wrote: 2 years ago you thought this came off as bitchy? you kept a more level head than you seem to realize and you should be proud of yourself if this is how nice you act when you're feeling cranky. i can't say i do as good a job of it
no im much bitchier irl especially around my clingy older brother
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

im trying to learn porting

I'm going by midis rn but if I keep transcribing I might be able to make my own midis by ear later on, currently I'm opening the midis in FL Studio and transcribing by hand to MML, they're v unoptimized wrt loops but I'll do that later.

So far 1 Gagharv song, 1 Trails song, 1 Lunar song, 1 Digimon song, 1 Summon Night song, and i also downloaded 3 Arc the Lad songs, the Lost Universe opening and 2 Wild Arms songs; none of them are finished yet because I'm a mess.

I also had La Valse Pour Xanadu from Xanadu: Dragon Slayer 2 but I'm too lazy to try and port it using hoot as a guide instead of a midi at this point.

Sources:
arc3map - Japanese website
arc3theme - Japanese website
feelssogood - Legend of Heroes III Windows version audio files
infinity - rando MIDI website from Web 2.0
kiseki, lunar, resistanceline, westaldia, wildarmsbattle - VGMusic
summon - gbamusripper
tamers - rando Angelfire website from Web 1.0, had to use archive.org
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

A huge battleship "shitty take" is approaching fast

I was speaking to Heraga yesterday and he mentioned being tired of "western styled levels" and that has honestly been my opinion for a long time. I don't know if it's a problematic thing to say in hacking circles because it's all meant to be a hobby but, to me, I feel like western hackers have this issue where they don't really experiment, they just emulate.

You could see this in like the late 00s with people trying to copy item babysitting puzzles and open-ended level design, then you had people trying to emulate worldpeace as closely as possible, and now it's like every Kaizo level is the same or people just do bootleg!JUMP or plain bootleg!Nintendo for Standard, apart from some stuff like Morsel's and other big name authors it's like? The illusion of free choice.

I said some time ago that hacking was like plateauing and I dunno, actually I feel like, there's this invisible hand pushing people to copy instead of giving their own flavor. Now I'm not saying people have to invent things that haven't existed before like, that is impossible in art, and VIP has basically done everything you can in vanilla, I'm pretty sure there's a kaizo meme about that.

I feel like people take the advice of "look at popular hacks for ideas" and go straight to "I'll make everything like this so my hack will be good" and it's a very stifling and self-defeating concept to have. I think a big thing regarding this is people being afraid of the hack submission pipeline which in the old days used to be Quality Assurance, which I'm glad we have mostly gotten past. I even looked at QLDC entries on Kitikuchan's stream and the first few entries on the thread seemed to all go for "weird ASM stage but every bit of ground is a cement block and occasional bad design".

I dunno how to say this without sounding ungrateful or entitled, but I dunno I feel myself and my fellow SMW hackers could try to push people to experiment more, because I feel a lot of the time, people, especially the younger crowd, just see the big names and contest winners and go "oh my level has to be like this to be good" which is a bad brain state to be in.

This also applies to the future MaGL4. Fucking throw bullshit at the wall, I don't care. Just be yourself.

:honk:

EDIT:
Heraga — Hoje às 20:09
yeah i agree with this for the most part
you have western hackers taking inspo from japanese hackers doing the same thing tbh (includes jumpteam top to an extent)
copy gimmick from vip/hyper/la/kouhai/s mario/super/ect with little difference, and then other people copy them, and you start to just all make the same thing
talked about this with the gaiden guys but its like
people like worldpeace, anon, gbreeze, morsel, and lazy are all equally creative imo
however

KobaBeach — Hoje às 20:12
yeah im not saying they're not

Heraga — Hoje às 20:12
some are very creative with pre-existing conventions and gimmicks/ideas
while others are creating those gimmicks and conventions
i think thats a very big difference
motor skills, one of the biggest things in kaizo probably ever, was inspired by what anon was doing
lazy started hacking because he wanted to make levels like wp ect
you can be creative, but a majority of people are creative with ideas that already exist
its rare to create "new" anymore

KobaBeach — Hoje às 20:14
yeah
i'll add this to the post
in honesty i started hacking because i wanted to make things like carol

Heraga — Hoje às 20:16
the point of this is that the reason why a lot of kaizo hacks feel the same is because no one is iterating, you can be creative but youre limited to what people have done already
the most innovative hack ive played in years ironically was nachos
and it was mainly due to the core mechanic, the game itself reminded me more of a polish SUPER
Image Image