(shouting)

romhack shack 改 (discord on OP, but don't abandon the thread!!!)

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: romhack shack 改 (discord on OP, but don't abandon the thread!!!)

Post by KobaBeach »

five million months later and akagi like reinstated the SMWX or smth???

i regret to announce i've started a new hack. i have no design doc other than like "i'll try to make something funny like yeah (exclamation marks) or brutal"

no real intention of finishing it but im gonna make sure not to take a whole ass decade on it with scope creep like carol did. i dont think i'll put in like a level up system. i could probably make it work at a base level but programming the whole ass logic and figuring out what gets affected by it sounds like a waste of my time, even if its mostly just hijacking invincibility and boss damage.

"<TiKi> but will it have bosses???? this is all i care about i am extremely invested in this" maybe since i'm trying to rip off old kino hacks, they just won't be fun because mario sucks and i also sucks. i'll try not to pull a raks by making everything annoying to play by accident, but i'll rip off the funnier parts of it.

AAT comes first though, gonna try to work on it since i overslept majorly last afternoon, and as a result cannot sleep tonight
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Reading some Brutal Mario code for now to take notes from. It's messy but I'm learning some new stuff, even with the stuff carol shouldn't have done (thank u ASMagician Maks for volunteering to help me with that). Going through the Mirage Palace level's ASM on Geiger's old shitty debugger, slowly but surely. Completely forgot the first area had a cute wave effect on the blood lava, but the Brutal Mario Wiki kids (myself included) never paid attention to that sort of thing.

Right now I'm messing with making some reference analysis material for art purposes, erotic and otherwise (mostly husbands but I'll include some faves I'm not creepy towards in the reference pile, like my fave womz charas like Asellus and Sif from SaGa and idiot children like Kyle from ToD2 and KH Sora).
Image Image
zefennekinfan
Pronouns: He

Post by zefennekinfan »

OMG Brutal mario world was so good Im so sorry but thats true, that hack is my whole childhood and reason I know about romhacks in general today :pal:
zefennekinfan

Post by zefennekinfan »

Also, anyone knew about VIP Mario New Vegas? Im excited to learn about it I just saw it a few days ago.
zefennekinfan

Post by zefennekinfan »

I am thinking of trying to revive a collab hack project from three years ago. Sadly it's about a game few people care about, but the community itself has grown since then! Many new hacks were made, which makes me very happy :catplanet: Zombies ate my neighbors is such an amazing underrated game. It wasnt at the time of it's release, but it's fallen deep deep in the shadows. I encourage everyone reading this to go give it a look, it deserves it.
zefennekinfan

Post by zefennekinfan »

Most of the hacks are in Zophar, and some of them are at romhacking, and the Discord where the community is, is pretty hidden, but we are vibrant on youtube I would like to believe.
https://www.romhacking.net/games/812/ https://www.zophar.net/hacks/snes/zombi ... hbors.html

My dream is to eventually have enough people interested in the game to have a collaboration hack like 4chan did all those years ago, TBH some of the best SMW Hacks out there. The energy and vibe those hacks have are amazing :3
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

zefennekinfan wrote: 1 year ago Also, anyone knew about VIP Mario New Vegas? Im excited to learn about it I just saw it a few days ago.
super mario /v/orld??? that's by 4chan

VIP is by 2channel (now 5channel due to Jim and Hiroyuki's lovers quarrel)
Image Image
zefennekinfan

Post by zefennekinfan »

/v/orld YES !! And yeah sorry, I don't really know the difference between the two, but I did know that, I just confuse the two. And yes, It is very exciting. :catplanet:

I cant do quotes help
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

zefennekinfan wrote: 1 year ago /v/orld YES !! And yeah sorry, I don't really know the difference between the two, but I did know that, I just confuse the two. And yes, It is very exciting. :catplanet:

I cant do quotes help
it's okay you're mad new to forums right, they're also like super outdated so.

VIP and /v/orld have very different design styles due to the differences in age tbh. later /v/orlds are closer to JUMP, I believe.
I hope you enjoy it but the current build is a bit buggy according to the original OP
Image Image
zefennekinfan

Post by zefennekinfan »

Mmmmmh Yeah I played JUMP. Yeah it is different. It doesnt exactly make me sad, Im just very nostalgic for VIP. The pure vanilla man... And some chocolate but barely.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

zefennekinfan wrote: 1 year ago Mmmmmh Yeah I played JUMP. Yeah it is different. It doesnt exactly make me sad, Im just very nostalgic for VIP. The pure vanilla man... And some chocolate but barely.
do look forward for aat anyway. it might not have the same feel either but the same disjointed collab spirit Should be there (question mark)

you can also practice making levels for yourself, and let other people of your skill level play it for feedback too. that's a way i feel, that can combat the yearning for late 2000s style levels. i should start doing that more, but i'd like to amass a good reference folder of tiles to edit and repurpose into tilesets first
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Really bored and felt like doing some SMW stuff, so I'm debugging a boss (currently the Seven ASCII from VIP4) to have reference code to learn how to code some stuff, I was just aiming for figuring out how to draw in V-Blank but it's fine. I'll be debugging recent stuff too.

Conditional Map16 flag is set for now if I ever want to do some jank Map16 swap shit, I've got some Indirect HDMA with double buffering base code from Brutal Mario, and I'm trying to review some general high school math stuff, beyond just trigonometry, to do HDMA and Mode 7 nonsense later.

I'll look through some NES/SNES disassemblies too (Yoshifanatic's, Southbird's SMB3) and keep making a small RAM and ROM Map document and bank 00-0F disassembly on my Lunar Helper folder to help me keep track of stuff, just in case. I'm gonna ask a friend for Lunar Magic patch disassemblies too, just in case, though that may be unnecessary.

I'll have to redownload the SMWCP2 Bitbucket repo's Mode 7 compressor and decompression routine, even if I only do one M7 thing, study Ice Man's Overworld Sprites patch and the sprites made for it, figure out Dynamic Z and dynamic sprites just in case, and practice further with code I study.

Of course I'll also study some level design by checking out neat stages and non-hack platformers (and some other games for ideas on theming and mechanics), for hacks, I'd like to check both Standard and Kaizo, both through savescumming and no-tools runs, though I don't really feel like doing modern Kaizo, something like TAKE is fine, but I'd make it optional. Feedback is essential so I'm gonna ask Valentine, my ex, and maybe some people in the AAT Discord for feedback. I'll try to post them here too.

I'm also listening to Eurobeat megamixes and watching Cardcaptor Sakura as I'm doing this, so it's especially nostalgic.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i coded like a whole bunch of smw asm in a fucking daze based entirely on text i wrote earlier for the intro of a mario boss and it works (not 100% correctly ofc) but the only reason it kept crashing was because i forgot to SEP #$20 in one branch. thank u underway for pointing that otu

i have no sleep in my system

p.s. color math rules and i want to learn more abt it. it looks funny
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

im gonna bump this shitty thread but im not replying to tiki

i backed up my smw folders through github, opened up underway's Stardust program (lunar helper successor), opened up lunar magic and did like next to nothing but still thought of a small bit of a mechanic for a level.

i have two things to say and that is, hammerbrother is a goddamn dipshit for giving people instructions on using sa-1 with the key lock blocks, but not even hybridizing the asm files, which is like a very basic amount of effort to make if you're not doing like multiplication and shit and also know asm. so i have no idea what the fuck he was doing.

so i had to take like 5 minutes out of my life to do that for at least the 16x32 blocks i was using, both the two asm blocks for those and the defines txt file. i'd just make the default settings of the sprite slots (12 or 22) an if/else statement depending on whether sa-1 is detected, along with an option to just customize that for people who know what they're doing but im a retarded NEET with autism so who knows what im talking abt

can some smwc person reading this please add like an sa-1 support needed tag to that submission? i forget if that's a thing or maybe you just deal with it wiht the "needs remoderation" tag? i feel like that'd help people who are asm illiterate to know to stay away from it if using that patch, but i guess so far the comments work? still didn't read them bc im stupid. look, im not jesus, im just a flop who buys jiafei products

anyway i just looked at donkey kong 94 screenshots and had the fucking anikiti smb2 warehouse background i-beam fg tile conversion in my mind from like the vips and luigi's adventure i think and i felt like making a sort of mario vs. donkey kong (+ arcade dk trilogy + dk94 + wrecking crew duology?) subseries inspired level

my sole idea for now is like. i thought of carol's Yoshi's Island Bandits which are basically the grey Klobbers from DKC2, and i was like "yo what if I coded an enemy that just stole your keys and you had to chase it around the small subsections of the level" and i thought that'd be very aggravating but very funny. I might have some invisible custom blocks to act as signposts for its """ai""". i might make it a non-dynamic bandit for now but im very open with just using sonikku's ukikis with a minor edit? i think those already steal shit. i lov monky

I might also try find a way to make platforming challenging with the fact that you're holding something several times through the level but im not doing the bits & pieces way of "haha you were holding this sonic 3d blast cough drop while touching this single block that was everywhere all over this section of the level fucking eat shit fucker" because that's stupid and not fetch. if im making something bullshit it has to be funny.

anyway im probably gonna grind in dragon quest 3 more to turn my wizard into a sage, and then probably level him up some levels to get some healing spells available before turning my pilgrim into a gadabout so i can grind for fifty hours to turn him into a sage too. like yes it's slow and dumb but i've beat this game ages ago there's nothing rushing me.

i still wanna fucking play arcturus and fantasia sango so once some more rpgs get knocked down im making a beeline straight to the former and then the latter
KobaBeach wrote: 11 months ago p.s. color math rules and i want to learn more abt it. it looks funny
why was this april what is my sense of time
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Oh yeah Stardust's icon is the trans flag for now, and because of Stardust being already the name of a hack undy plans to rename it to something else and apply the lesbian (lesbiab lesbiam less bien) flag, and honestly i wish you could customize it with a bunch of pride flags because that's the coolest thing and it wards off fucking weirdo manchildren like Nambona from using it

Personally, I'd like to have mine be the mlm flag bc I'm a cocksucker bara incel who goes to myreadingmanga unironically. kids don't go there pls you might be traumatized by a rokudenashi doujin and i dont wish that on anyone despite thinking those are the best (i miss his work so much)

EDIT: oh yeah i haven't worked on my boss in a *stewie griffin voice* hwile. it's ok i'll work on it when i feel like it, that's what matters in hobbyist gamedev and why i dont want to take commissions or money ever
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Triple post but I think the only thing that's annoying about SA-1 hybridization is like messing with the PPU registers and such bc those aren't visible to the SA-1 processor I believe, along with WRAM. Not sure of the specifics, documentation is complete ass. So you have to loophole it with uberasm or some sort since I think uberasm code runs on the main SNES CPU or something, hybridization is only needed to account for the changes SA-1 does to the ROM code? Not sure how it runs there, again, I'm sorry for being ignorant, documentation on this is terrible garbage.

But my point is for stuff like color math and hdma on sprites I really tend to just use a freeram address or sprite table if i can afford it in the code and use that as a sort of communicator between the SNES CPU code on UberASM and the SA-1 CPU code on the sprite and such, and it tends to work wonders.

I think you have to account for the timing of when the code runs in the game's flowchart of sorts though, for example you also have to use a "communicator" flag to let UberASM know about when to change the physics if it's activated by a block as, IIRC the physics code runs earlier. I'm gonna make a note of that just so I can keep it memorized, unintentional Kingdom Hearts joke (should continue 2FM whenever). Had to do that for an ASPE Mario levelASM extraction and recreation in AAT (no spoilers), major kudos to Lord Ruby for helping me with that, love you babe.

Since non-bitshifting multiplication and division is done with registers I think that's also why it's an issue despite not being part of the PPU registers? Need to refresh my knowledge. The biggest problem is that you have to account for the differences in clock speed, SA-1 is naturally faster. I feel like an if/else statement in PIXI and such usually should work alright? The header can be used to indicate the type of cart and game it is, and the SA-1 patch and LM's expansions update it accordingly ($00FFD5 = $23 is usually what's checked to denote SA-1 status).
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i wanna mess with smw ( ´q`)

might do what im doing on rpg maker 2003 rn and just work on a thing in vanilla terms then redo it later with asm and bullshit. that's probably the best way i can work on a thing. overworld organization will be a fucking mess
Image Image