(shouting)

Video Game Commercials 2019 thread

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Video Game Commercials 2019 thread

Post by Ashan »

So, we're currently most of the way through E3 at this point.
It seems like E3 is of becoming less of a thing each year. Nintendo hasn't been doing live presentations for several years now in favor of doing a Direct, and Sony skipped out this year as well. I suppose that's kind of something to be expected in an era where companies can just announce things over the internet at whatever rate works for them instead of going to the one major press event each year to get it all out at once. Not to mention they can save 7 truckloads of money that would otherwise be spent on renting a theatre and paying for a giant light show, staff, booths, etc.

Regardless, it is still a fairly major event and it's happening now!
As I type this, Ubisoft just finished their conference which I found to be as boring and out of touch as ever. The highlight to me was seeing that the new Just Dance is still getting a release on the 13-year-old Wii (and no release on Wii U!).

The other two I watched was Microsoft and Bethesda. Microsoft I thought was pretty alright. I figured ahead of time that it would be Gun Game™ followed by Gun Game™ (which is basically what Ubisoft's was) but it seems like they're doing a heavier push for indie titles, and they cut out a lot of useless talking between games, way too long gameplay demos, etc. They just rapid fired game trailers one after the other which is really all I want from a presentation. No dance routines or orchestras or cringey nonsense-- almost entirely games. I thought it was pretty good!

Bethesda on the other hand I found pretty boring. They started off apologizing for Fallout 76, but then immediately started bragging about how great and large of an online community it has after they fixed it, which... I don't know if that's true or not? I haven't heard anyone say they went back to it or anything about the game being fixed. I heard about some kind of class action lawsuit after they started refusing people refunds. Anyway, they announced a bunch of free updates to that which is good, and really tried to distance themselves from that game's horrible reputation. They're adding actual NPCs into the game now which I understand was one of the big complaints about the game. In general, the conference seemed to focus on their online MMOs like that and Elder Scrolls Online which I still can't say I have any interest in. And some other stuff about their free-to-play mobile games which I can't imagine is something the typical E3 audience members cares about. They actually had some lady come out to announce the new Commander Keen game and proudly say "free to play mobile game" with a grin on her face. I have to assume that these things make money for them which is why they're focusing on it so much but it sure doesn't interest me. Highlight for me would I guess be the new Doom even though I never even played the last one, but it's on my radar since it reviewed pretty well. The gameplay of the new one looked pretty alright too.

Nintendo's conference is tomorrow morning which myself and I'm sure many of you look forward to the most every year. My most realistic announcement I'm hoping for is a new Mario & Luigi RPG since they seem to have been stalling with the remakes the past few years . It seems about time for that series to make its way to Switch, and I'd really love something less vanilla than Paper Jam (I recall reading an interview where someone on the dev team acknowledged the blandness of that game, which gives me hope).

Maybe this thread is a bit late but feel free discuss thoughts so far or hopes/predictions for the remaining 2 conferences (Square Enix and Nintendo).
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Re: Video Game Commercials 2019 thread

Post by Kleetus »

So we got a really out there trailer for No More Heroes 3.
Either nothing in the trailer will be in the final game, or everything will be in the game, show up once, and never be mentioned again.
You can never trust those Suda 51 trailers.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I never played a No More Heroes game before and at this point it's kinda hard to go back and play it since it's exclusive to the Wii. I'm not sure when the next time I'll have a Wii hooked up to anything. Maybe once it's considered "retro." Is 13 old enough to be retro?

Also yeah, Nintendo E3 happened today. As always, it's the most interesting to me just cause those are the games I've been familiar with the most throughout my life. I didn't get my wish of a new Mario & Luigi RPG for Switch, but there was definitely some stuff I liked being shown off.

Biggest thing to me was a new Zelda announcement. I'm not surprised BotW is getting a direct sequel in the same engine; in fact I fully expected it with all the effort they put into that engine. But I am surprised it's being mentioned so early. It looked like a much darker game than BotW, and just being a Zelda game that's a direct sequel to its predecessor gives off serious Majora's Mask vibes. That was the only other time a console Zelda game reused an engine, and the nice thing about that is we shouldn't be waiting like 6 years for it to come out this time. I'd say maybe we could even expect it late 2020?

I loved BotW but I have some changes I'd like to see made in the sequel. For one thing, I'd like weapons to last like 4x longer. I don't necessarily hate that weapons degrade and break, because it got you using all types of weapons. But damn did they break fast. It just got annoying having to switch weapons so much when I just want to play the combat. The other thing is I'd like more traditional Zelda elements brought back into the new Zelda style. I found myself really wanting to explore some dungeons in BotW, cause they're just not there. The divine beasts were something, but there's only a few and they're just not on the same scope as a good ol' Zelda dungeon.

And this actually makes me curious: is this just 3D Zelda now? It was so incredibly successful, I'm almost wondering if Nintendo saw their sales figures and said "okay this is what we're doing from now on." And I mean, BotW deserved most of the credit it got, it really was a fun game. But I don't know how many times they could do it before it got stale. Like, this one was exciting cause it was Nintendo finally doing something of a modern open world game, but now that they've done it once we can't be impressed again. They NEED to add new things to spice things up, cause if it's just more BotW I don't think it'll have the same effect. And also I'd kinda just be disappointed if we never got a strongly narrative-driven 3D Zelda again. They do have plenty of advantages over the "do whatever you want" presentation of BotW. Maybe Nintendo will learn to combine the 2, who knows.

On an unrelated note -- I didn't even see this game mentioned in any of the conferences I watched, but apparently Yacht Club Games has been working on a new game called Cyber Shadow which looks to be doing a similar thing to Shovel Knight by taking inspiration from a bunch of beloved NES games and putting them into a modern 8-bit styled indie game. Only instead of taking primary inspiration from Mega Man, this looks to be a Ninja Gaiden-esque game. And if you keep up with the "what games are you playing" thread, you'll have known I recently played through that game out of the blue! I thought a lot of that game was really fun but could use some modernization, and I also love Shovel Knight (I'm incidentally wearing a Shovel Knight shirt as I type this), so this game looks right up my alley.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Kleetus wrote: 4 years ago So we got a really out there trailer for No More Heroes 3.
Either nothing in the trailer will be in the final game, or everything will be in the game, show up once, and never be mentioned again.
You can never trust those Suda 51 trailers.
It will be, this plot has been heavily choreographed in Travis Strikes Again as well as various interviews. NMH3 is about Travis fighting aliens. It just is.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i couldnt bring myself to watch e3 at all from depression and lack of interest in modern gaming

im very boring so here's all i cared about from twitter osmosis and reading recaps:
psychonauts 2
battletoads
way to the woods
spiritfarer
the xbox indie games all look superb actually
legend of wright
ff7 remake
ff8 remastered
crystal chronicles remastered
octopath pc
kh3 dlc: the sea salt gang's bad fur day
romancing saga 3 & saga scarlet grace (saga never dies)
collection of mana (not for myself since emulation, but for someone looking to experience the first three games for the first time honestly also Trails Of Mana Bitch)
seiken 3/trails of mana remake
dq11 switch
banjo + yuusha in smash (i only wanted erdrick but im really glad banjo's in for the people who wanted him and also this gives me incentive to play the n64 banjos again and finally beat them for the first time)
link's awakening remake
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

dragon quest definitely deserves to be in smash but i'm finding it hard to get excited for it when the hero has eight skins and none of them are female. in particular i'm a huge fan of Sofia from DQ4 and they included Solo but not her.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

I also wanted Girldrick from the remakes of Dragon Quest III as an alt, which is why I wanted DQ3 Hero over everyone else lol

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Nintendo and Square really showed off a lot of neat stuff. I didn't pay too much attention to the other conferences, but yeah, that was a good showing of games from the both of them.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I don't play a ton of Square games but I watched their presentation anyway. I have some thoughts on the FF7 remake. First of all, the fact that it's gonna be a multi-episode thing just seems bad to me. Like, the original game was a short enough story that it could all fit in one game, I don't know how much tweaking they're planning on doing to the story but I don't see a reason the experience needs to be extended out across multiple games like that. It just seems like an excuse to make people pay for a full priced game multiple times if they want the full experience.

And further, they proudly announced that this first game is "so big" that they had to put it on 2 bluray disks. And then the audience cheered. I don't think data size is at all indicative of how much content there is in a game. You can't really measure time spent in unique and fun gameplay experiences with a number of bits. I'm pretty sure the biggest things that will take up that space are just gonna be straight assets. Cutscenes, high res textures, audio clips, etc. So I don't know why I should be impressed you wasted a bunch of space, you'd be better off bragging about how long a typical run of the campaign should take players. Hell, if anything this should just be bad news for people who want to buy the game digitally cause this thing is gonna waste a significant amount of their console's storage space.