(shouting)

What are some guilty pleasure games you have?????

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

What are some guilty pleasure games you have?????

Post by KobaBeach »

What the title says.

I have a soft spot for Milon's Secret Castle for some odd reason, it's a perplexing mess of bullshit you need a walkthrough for, but something about exploring Castle Garland just feels nice. I guess it was more designed to be a game where you'd swap advice with your friends, but that doesn't really translate over to the west unless it's like one of the mainstream games.

I also really like Romancing SaGa's SNES version, SaGa Frontier and Sonic Adventure. These games were revolutionary at the time they came out (1992, 1997 and 1999, respectively), but as time went on their jank became more and more exposed. I honestly applaud them for what they tried to do, all the ideas Adventure has, the sheer audacity of not sticking to tradition Romancing has, the combination of both Frontier has...

I also really like Final Fantasy VIII for also trying to shake things up, especially after the juggernauts that were Final Fantasy VI and VII. It's not the most functional game, nor does it have the best story, but I like how off the wall it tried to be (and also its story is a complete shitpost and I love every second of it). The music is also tied with VI and IX for Uematsu's peak (i just dont like ff7's music as much).

I'd add Hydlide (yeah I know), but Hydlide's honestly not a good game, so it's not really a guilty pleasure, more of a slight fascination. I just appreciate it for being a notable example of a pre-Dragon Quest JRPG. Early RPGs are just really interesting to me.

These fuckers are sorta like comfort food to me.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bean
Yep.

Re: What are some guilty pleasure games you have?????

Post by Bean »

Final Fantasy VIII isn't a guilty pleasure because it's one of the best games in the series!

Anyway, Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles (PS1) is definitely not a good game in the slightest, but it's a fun enough hack and slash that I'll go through every now and then. The laughing noise the characters make when they pick up power-ups is silly.

Back when we got it, I'd also add The Bouncer (PS2). Way too short of a game to be anything worthwhile, but it does encourage multiple playthroughs with the three characters. Game needed co-op, and it needed to get out of the way of its own story to have more fighting scenes, but the actual gameplay was fun enough in its pretty basic form.

Some of the Dynasty Warriors spin-offs would also go in this category just because they're just button mashers through and through. Fire Emblem, Warriors Orochi 4, stuff like that. The Zelda one was great as was the first Gundam one, so they don't make the list. The third Gundam one doesn't either since that one was too bland for me to like.

I think that's a good enough start for now. If I think of anything else, I'll add it in. For now, that's good enough.
churine
Pronouns: she/her

Post by churine »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years agoI have a soft spot for Milon's Secret Castle for some odd reason, it's a perplexing mess of bullshit you need a walkthrough for, but something about exploring Castle Garland just feels nice. I guess it was more designed to be a game where you'd swap advice with your friends, but that doesn't really translate over to the west unless it's like one of the mainstream games.
wow this game, I had it as a child and it haunted my nightmares as I tried for years and years to complete it without understanding any of the text
it was an adventure, but one I appreciate a lot

but I love kusoge in general so I can't tell whether I'm just liking garbage or a good game actually
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

Donkey Kong 64: Often cited to be among the games that caused the collect-a-thon genre to die, but I can't help but enjoy it. I admit it went overboard with how the collectibles were handled, but the gameplay itself is totally fine, I think. Also it gave us Diddy's jetpack and e-guitar, orange hand grenades and, most importantly of all, the DK Rap.

Sonic 06: Only when i get friends to play it and see them suffer, because I can be sadistic like that.

K-On!: I can already hear the crowd shouting "WEEB!" but hear me out, it's... ok, it's pretty weeb-y, I plead guilty. But it's a rhythm game made by Sega, something they're pretty good at, having quite a history with them.
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

Taigiry wrote: 5 years ago Sonic 06: Only when i get friends to play it and see them suffer, because I can be sadistic like that.
i was basically gonna come into this thread with almost exactly this. for me, it's not watching friends playing it and enjoying their suffering so much as it's playing the game with friends, passing the controller around, and indulging in the group suffering while laughing at the game's voice acting and plot. it's truly the only way to experience the game if you're ever going to play it, which honestly i recommend
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

sonic 06 is my favorite kusoge and the only 3d sonic game alongside adventure 1 i "care about" (adventure 1 is the only one i like however)

the boost games' twitch gameplay just doesnt grab me sorry
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Sonic 06 gets unfairly ridiculed. When you compare it to the rest of the series, it's equally as terrible as every other Sonic game
agargara

Post by agargara »

Final Fantasy X-2. It has a reputation for being a fan-servicey blatant cash-in on FFX, which is somewhat true. But once you get past that, there's actually a pretty fun game hiding underneath. At least, I enjoyed it much more than I expected. I especially enjoyed the Creature Creator side game in the HD Remaster.
Lazy_
druine
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Lazy_ »

I have a ton of nostalgia for Return of Touhou Mother for some reason. It's probably best described as VIP Mario in RPG form: horribly janky and unbalanced, complete with softlocks that can potentially wipe all of your progress, but has a certain charm to it. I think VGPerson's off-kilter helps a lot with that. I frequently feel like replaying it, despite its many shortcomings (apparently the original was even worse somehow, so I'll pass on that).
I also like Pokemon Snakewood despite actually hating everything about it. I can't justify myself
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Touhou Mother 1 actually had a cameo of a hoax 2hu a bunch of VIPPERs made up, a la Kasane Teto. So you're not off.

Also if we're counting hacks + fangames in this I might as well include some of mine:
I'm a bit of a nerd for Brutal Mario's later demos. They're pretty poorly coded and the level design is butts, but they are also what got me interested in programming, SMW hacking and game design (the latter alongside Sonic fangames).

Super Mario LD is also very jank, and honestly not very good, but the level design isn't too bad, in all honesty. If it got finished I'm sure it would be a pretty memorable hack despite the messy ASM. It's very much inspired by Donkey Kong Country 1, that you can tell. It's also like the only hack alongside VIP4 that prominently features Dragon Quest shit so that's a plus

Brutal Mario has Xenlon (and by technicality, the Ethereal serpent family of monsters) recolored to be Shenron in a small in-game cheat reward carol coded in, but you can't access that without editing the demos

Also Sonic MADventure and When Tails Gets Bored: Special Edition are my favorite bad Sonic fangames from 2000. MADventure is just oddly ambitious for a Sonic game, going for more of a comedic Zeldalike type of gameplay, and When Tails Gets Bored is literally just a shitpost fangame spawned out of Matt the Yak/Estel's shitpost photoshops of Sonic screencaps, or "hoaxes". They are both not very good!

I kinda think ShenSonic was a cool concept but I don't know if it was ever finished, and I never made it very far, it's literally just Shenmue remade in a top down perspective in like Klik n Play with Sonic characters and recolors, like the cat is portrayed as a brown Tails in his swimming animation, but its still treated as a cat.
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

To be honest at this point my enjoyment of every game is highly based on finding them interesting as an artifact, even those I would defend as excellent. So I could probably just talk about any random game in here (and maybe will)

but yeah every game
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Practical
aaaaaahhhHHHH
First name: jay

Post by Practical »

Super Smash Bros Brawl
Tone indicators : /j= joking, /srs= serious, /lh= light-hearted, /s= sarcastic
Get it, Let it roll!
[/b]My main YT: https://www.youtube.com/c/ChicaMario64/featured
krakin.carrd.org
My Switch friend code: SW-1004-3051-8456
http://www.n-masters.com/mariokartlicen ... p?id=11224

selective mutism is a nuisance
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

LatexHydra wrote: 4 years agoSuper Mario World
Practical wrote: 4 years agoSuper Smash Bros Brawl
Y'all. Come on. Those are both very good games at worst. We're talking mediocre stuff here... like Super Mario 64 at the very least! BW
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I'm like halfway through Lufia 1 (yeah 1, 2 will come later) and for a middle of the road RPG that is mostly cribbing from Dragon Quest, it's kinda fun.

Translation is pretty rough (a "dais" instead of a "sacrifical altar", really?), gameplay's so-so and the story and characterization is practically nonexistent, but there's just something in Lufia's (the character, not the game, she's kind of the true protagonist in my eyes) dialogue that sells the game for me, she's just adorable and infectious, kinda like Rinoa. There's also a bit of a challenge factor. Grinded a bit - two-three levels - like three separate times and still had some trouble with the bosses!

It feels a lot like the kind of adventure game you'd see on the Mega Drive. Basic, middle of the road, but has a certain "feel". Only makes sense it was slated for a port before dying from awful management.

Bean wrote: We're talking mediocre stuff here... like Super Mario 64
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I feel like Pepsiman would fit the description - I haven't played it myself but after watching others play it, it seems like something that I would enjoy trying to complete it
Practical
aaaaaahhhHHHH

Post by Practical »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago I feel like Pepsiman would fit the description - I haven't played it myself but after watching others play it, it seems like something that I would enjoy trying to complete it
What the heck is Pepsiman?
Get it, Let it roll!
krakin.carrd.org

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Practical wrote: 4 years agoWhat the heck is Pepsiman?
A Japanese-only PS1 game that's got some Crash Bandicoot elements going for it except you're always on the move.

Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

*cracks open a cold one*
Pepsi for TV-GAME.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Practical
aaaaaahhhHHHH

Post by Practical »

Bean wrote: 4 years ago
Practical wrote: 4 years agoWhat the heck is Pepsiman?
A Japanese-only PS1 game that's got some Crash Bandicoot elements going for it except you're always on the move.

Hmm, sounds kinda fun
Get it, Let it roll!
krakin.carrd.org

Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Practical wrote: 4 years ago Hmm, sounds kinda fun
You could just watch the AVGN review and get the full experience. It's torture to play, apparently.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I would actually recommend ProtonJon's stream video for it as I feel it conveys the game experience more accurately. It's really a treat to watch.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

At first I was thinking ProtonJon was ProJared and I was like "buddy I have some news"
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Speaking of Jared, I'm playing Mystic Quest and it's not as depressing the second time around because you're paying more attention to the shitposty script and translation job, courtesy of Ted Woolsey and the original writers at Square's Osaka devision: Chihiro Fujioka and Yoshihiko Maekawa.

you may have heard of Fujioka before!!!!!!!!

ano0maly wrote: ProtonJon's stream video
didnt he have

a nail fall off

(cw: kinda body horror) while he was playing or was that someone else lol
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago didnt he have

a nail fall off

(cw: kinda body horror) while he was playing or was that someone else lol
38:49