(shouting)

Google Stadia

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Re: Google Stadia

Post by AUS »

i've been told that cyberpunk 2077 runs well on stadia
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Well, as good as Stadia can run.

I'm actually doing a bit of an experiment right now. Like I mentioned earlier, I now have a Stadia Premier Edition, so I'm giving Stadia a true and honest shot, and am committing to playing through a game in full (used another Google account I had and started a new Pro trial)

I started Superhot yesterday, which I found out was perhaps a bit of an odd choice because the game has a bunch of stylistic glitching and weird artifacting and stuff which makes it kinda hard to tell what's weird video compression and what's the game. Latency has been tolerable. I'd like it to be a little lower because precisely aiming with a joystick can be pretty finicky in the first place, and add in a few ms of latency and it gets even more difficult. The bigger issue is that at least a couple times per play session I'll have frame drops, or a few seconds where the game locks up but it's still running on the server. Which is to be expected because the internet is not perfectly reliable, but that alone is enough to make game streaming a no-go for me. Thankfully it's fine for something like Superhot where the game is essentially paused when you're not moving, but if you were playing a demanding platformer like Celeste (which I think is also currently available to play on Pro, maybe I'll have to try that out) it'd be just not worth it. It's like you had a TV where once per half hour you just lost your video signal for a few seconds. Is that something you'd want to game on? I sure wouldn't!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

And then I had my first instance now where I had to stop playing the game because someone else on my network started watching netflix or something. Welcome back to the 90s where you have to get off the computer because someone wants to use the phone
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

So if anyone else has morbid fascination with this whole Stadia thing, Terraria's Stadia port was just cancelled because the developer's Google account was disabled. Which is not a rare occurrence, and they have no way of disputing unless you make enough noise and someone who works at Google happens to stumble upon your complaints and escalate it to someone who can unban you.

Remember to divorce yourself from as many Google services as you can, kids! You may be next!
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

in related news last week

Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Hah yeah they're really setting a good example when not even Google themselves wants to make games for Stadia
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

oops
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The game's since been patched by Google. Still, Journey to the Savage Planet was the one and only game Typhoon Studios completed before it met its end at the hands of its parent company. In 2020 this game was released on other systems but not on Stadia, even though Google already acquired the studio as part of Stadia Games and Entertainment in December 2019. And on the same day it finally came out on Stadia, Google shut down SG&E.

Way to go :gravytea:

So to sum up what's been happening with Google Stadia in the past month:
  • Google closed its first party game development division in just two years (and one year after Stadia premiered) before any games got released. So Stadia isn't getting any in-house games, except for those 'near completion' that maybe will come out in the future according to Google. This happened at a time when it needs to give players a reason to use the fledgling platform.
  • Apparently the team was complimented for its ongoing progress a week before this happened.
  • Google announced that it's going to release over 100 games on Stadia this year, but it can't even get Terraria on its system because the developer cancelled the Stadia version. For some reason Google thought it was a good idea to lock out the dev's Google account from everything (email, cloud drives, etc.) for an alleged Youtube violation on a channel that hasn't uploaded in months, and then not explain what happened for three weeks.
  • Also, Stadia is now facing a class action lawsuit for misleading claims about how good its resolution is.
I seriously wonder if this service will end in the near future with Phil Harrison resigning from Google.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Terraria is back on track for release after Google explained the situation to Re-Logic and restored its Google account access.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago I seriously wonder if this service will end in the near future with Phil Harrison resigning from Google.
I think he'll get a golden parachute soon. Dipshits like him tend to fail upward

Like, the bulk of this is (modern) Google being Google, but still
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago Terraria is back on track for release after Google explained the situation to Re-Logic and restored its Google account access.
Well good for the dev that he has a big enough following to make a PR stink for Google when his account gets deleted so he can get it restored, but for the rest of us normies, if this happens, you're just fucked.

I kinda figured his cancellation of the Stadia Terraria port was more a statement against how horrible Google is about this stuff but I guess it was just tough talk to get his account back. Maybe I'd have done the same in his situation, I'm sure he'll make some money off this release. But this doesn't solve the issue that Google tricks everyone into storing all their data with them just for a robot to delete it all with no dispute process.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

A message about Stadia and our long term streaming strategy
A few years ago, we also launched a consumer gaming service, Stadia. And while Stadia's approach to streaming games for consumers was built on a strong technology foundation, it hasn't gained the traction with users that we expected so we’ve made the difficult decision to begin winding down our Stadia streaming service.

We’re grateful to the dedicated Stadia players that have been with us from the start. We will be refunding all Stadia hardware purchases made through the Google Store, and all game and add-on content purchases made through the Stadia store. Players will continue to have access to their games library and play through January 18, 2023 so they can complete final play sessions. We expect to have the majority of refunds completed by mid-January, 2023. We have more details for players on this process on our Help Center.
It sounds like the strategy of white-labeling the game streaming technology for other companies to use (like Peloton using it to run applicable games on its exercise bikes) under the title Google Stream will stay for now, but the game platforming service Google runs directly for gaming consumers will cease in January.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

lol who could have ever seen this coming except for literally everyone

I've still got the controller I got for free and I'm keeping it forever as a trophy of Google's spectacular failure.