(shouting)

EverQuest

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KTB
Pronouns: he/him/his

EverQuest

Post by KTB »

(Originally posted on SMWC but I figured people here would be more likely to even know what this is.)

I just realized this literally not even one minute ago, but today is the 20th anniversary of a game that used to be massive but is nowadays pretty forgotten despite how influential it was: EverQuest.

I'm normally not a big fan of MMORPGs, but something about this one always resonated with me in a really strange way, probably related to its "classic" gameplay/graphics style that usually strikes a nostalgic chord in me even despite the fact that I didn't play it when it first came out.

This game was pretty quickly overshadowed by World of Warcraft when it came out, but prior to that (for those who don't know) it was pretty much the definitive MMO out there. I haven't played it at all in a few years now, and didn't have much time to play it much even then, but it stuck with me for its brilliant world/atmosphere, along with having some pretty clever raids where you defeat the tough superbosses. <a href="">This</a> video does a really good job of going into more detail on the game and its influence.

One thing I know that people around here will be able to appreciate at least, even today, is its unbelievably amazing soundtrack. I'm working on uploading its soundtrack to Youtube <a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Xvzq-D">on this channel</a>, but a few specific tracks I particularly love are <a href="">these</a> <a href="">ones</a> <a href="">right</a> <a href="">here.</a>

So. Does anyone else remember this/care about it, or am I totally alone here? Is there anyone left from these sites who was ever a fan of this game and/or has any memories and experiences they would like to share?
GamersTavern
Retro Reviewer

Re: EverQuest

Post by GamersTavern »

I played this game pretty obsessively back in the day. It was the only paid MMO that I ever played.
KTB
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: EverQuest

Post by KTB »

GamersTavern wrote: 5 years ago I played this game pretty obsessively back in the day. It was the only paid MMO that I ever played.
I actually didn't realize this when I made this thread, but as some sort of celebration they've started a couple servers where the game has turned back into the same way it was in 1999, and every 12 weeks (on the "Mangler" server) or every 4 weeks (on the "Selo" server) they release the next update to that server, so that people can sort of re-experience the game from the beginning to today.

I think that's absolutely awesome - it's one of their few pay-only servers, so I might not be able to use it, but nostalgia-inducing stuff like this always makes me feel like shedding a tear :mrgreen: