(shouting)

Mega Man 11

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Mega Man 11

Post by Ashan »

Just announced by Capcom

No 8-bit art style on this one. Visually it's reminding me a lot of Mighty No. 9 so far, not to jinx it.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Re: Mega Man 11

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Hmm... C-side might take longer than we all expected.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

raocow saved Mega Man
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I see or have multiple problems with this:
  • Inafune left Capcom.
  • Name confusion with X1 (technically there was already a name clash when 10 was made).
  • People are bitter at Capcom for cancelling Legends 3 with no consolation measure or efforts to properly resolve the situation (no release of prototype, blaming fans on Twitter), among other things, although some of this has since been redirected to Inafune and his Mighty No. 9 team for that game and the Red Ash debacle.
  • Other Megaman series are being neglected (like a possible continuation of ZX).
  • Rehashing the same formula 11 times can get stale (not to mention those spinoff games in the C-side right now that Classic in particular got). If the X series was "supposed to end at 5" there's no law saying that reasoning can't apply to Classic.
I personally would not want another Classic sequel unless it makes a decisive climax or progress with the background story settings (like Wily outright dies) or reveals significant new insights that help connect Classic with X.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I think the fact that they're making an entirely new engine with 3D graphics and everything speaks something to the fact that they're not just purely recycling content. They could have easily reused the 9/10 engine for 11 (and I actually might have liked that? We'll see) and got the game done from start to finish in a fairly short amount of time. But they're doing something new-looking, at the very least. And even after what is done now, it's scheduled for release late 2018, so they're taking their time.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

ano0maly wrote: 6 years ago I see or have multiple problems with this:
  • Inafune left Capcom.
  • Name confusion with X1 (technically there was already a name clash when 10 was made).
  • People are bitter at Capcom for cancelling Legends 3 with no consolation measure or efforts to properly resolve the situation (no release of prototype, blaming fans on Twitter), among other things, although some of this has since been redirected to Inafune and his Mighty No. 9 team for that game and the Red Ash debacle.
  • Other Megaman series are being neglected (like a possible continuation of ZX).
  • Rehashing the same formula 11 times can get stale (not to mention those spinoff games in the C-side right now that Classic in particular got). If the X series was "supposed to end at 5" there's no law saying that reasoning can't apply to Classic.
Inafune only took over managing the series around the time of MMX2 in 1995, Legends 3 was canned over six years ago now, I really doubt peeps would get 11 and X1 confused, other Mega Man series didn't sell like ZX and Star Force to warrant a continuation, the art style is definitely different here... and I kind of don't want the series to end.
I personally would not want another Classic sequel unless it makes a decisive climax or progress with the background story settings (like Wily outright dies) or reveals significant new insights that help connect Classic with X.
Wily outright dying is like Bowser going away for good. That should never happen. We all know MMX happens, just let the Classic series keep pumping out games in the meantime!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I'm hoping a lot of this is side-effects of it being early in development, but I have to say I'm not a fan of either the running animation, or the fact that Mega Man has to yell whenever he's doing a charge shot. The music also felt a tad lacklustre.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

Wow, a Megaman game I'll be able to physically play for the first time! I'm really hyped for this, I can't wait for this!
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Post by Kapus »

Ultra hyped. Capcom finally delivered! And they're finally shaking up the paradigm a bit and trying a more fresh direction. So far it's all I ever wanted.
ano0maly wrote: 6 years ago I see or have multiple problems with this:
  • Inafune left Capcom.
  • We don't need Inafune.
  • That hasn't been an issue since they stopped using roman numerals??
  • I mean yeah but this time they're giving the (classic) fans what they want and the reception has been positive. The cancellations in the past were unfortunate but...well, they're in the past.
  • All the Mega Man series have been neglected though. They're reviving classic right now and X collection is coming to the Switch. I don't really see the issue? One thing at a time, right?
  • That's kinda why there hasn't been a classic game in a while. If you watched the stream the developers talked about how they've been trying to evolve mega man past the rather stale formula they've been going with for the past 10 games. They're conscious of the issue and are trying to make things fresher this time around, which is pretty evident of the artstyle alone I'd say.
I wouldn't mind showing hints towards X series or something, but I wouldn't want them to have a direct conclusion to the classic series. The ambiguity of what exactly takes place "inbetween" is what keeps it interesting.
warpio

Post by warpio »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago raocow saved Mega Man
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this huge MM LP series was secretly a crazy esoteric ritual summoning MM11 into existence. that's some sick wizardry skills if true :shock:
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

warpio wrote: 6 years ago
Ashan wrote: 6 years ago raocow saved Mega Man
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this huge MM LP series was secretly a crazy esoteric ritual summoning MM11 into existence. that's some sick wizardry skills if true :shock:
if he saved it does this mean we can blame him if its bad
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

It's very nice that Mega Man is undergoing a revival after nearly 10 years of inactivity. I do want this to retain some of the atmospheric polish 9 and 10 brought to the table, though in a 3D space, it might be difficult to get something quite as good as those Wily Fortresses offered...

Even if this does look quite a bit like Mighty No. 9, I'm hopeful that quality will go directly the other way from the trailer. Which is to say, upwards. May this development cycle not be plagued with conflict, tension, and broken dreams.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
warpio

Post by warpio »

Woah, this new trailer looks really hype.

It's so weird to see a Mega Man game actually has GOOD voice acting.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Hey! Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X had good acting. Ha-ha. But yeah, the game looks cool!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I watched the first bit of the trailer but I'd kinda like the robot masters to be a surprise when I first play it. Already had 2 spoiled.
The bit of gameplay I saw looked fun, although I'm still not a fan of Mega Man's running animation. Hopefully it's good though.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I had an idea for Blast Man that would be a stereotypical cowboy-looking bot that chucked sticks of dynamite at you. This also works.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

So I tried out the demo available on Switch now.

I'm digging it. The footage wasn't exciting me cause... I still thing Mega Man's animations don't look great? But I'll be damned if they didn't make shooting and blowing up robots feel satisfying!
It doesn't feel like just another Mega Man game with a new art style. Or, I should say the controls definitely do feel very familiar. But I think Capcom has really put effort into making this a proper game you'd want to pay money for rather than a downloadable title where MM9 and MM10 fit in perfectly. They've really expanded upon the Mega Man formula.
Levels seem to be much longer, the controls, mechanics, and customization system is much more fleshed out, and bosses are seemingly more than just "regular robot with a few attack patterns." Unless Block Man is the only phased boss in the game and that's why they put him in the demo. Regardless, the boss felt like something I actually had to learn, rather than something I can just tank through to win. I made it all the way through the level in a single life but died to Block Man multiple times and Game Overed once at him.

Learning to use the time slowing and power up mechanics are gonna take some getting used to. I liked that they put those enemies that are in a wheel with a hole in it to make some use out of the time slowing mechanic, and the power up mechanic (I can't remember what it's called so I'm calling it "powered up mode" henceforth) seemed to be pretty effective on the boss. Something I didn't even realize until I was playing the demo for the weapon I got (another so-obvious-but-totally-genius addition -- when you get a weapon it'll show you how to use it and you can press a button to take control of the demo to try out the weapon) is you can use that power up mode with special weapons and they seemingly have a second functionality. Block Man's weapon would drop a whole wall of blocks in powered up mode and I didn't go back and check what the other weapons they gave would do in power up mode. But I'm really loving how much they fleshed out the different ways you can play this game, I think it leaves room for many valid play styles, which isn't a thing in any previous games in the series.

Color me impressed so far!
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

I tried out the demo too, but ended up calling it quits when I got to the vertical corridor where the belts were moving the blocks. I just could not get the timing down to ascend, even with the Speed Gear. Didn't help that I lost most of my lives before that and was afraid of Gaming Over.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Tried the demo last night.

Game looks great (even though MM himself is a little funky). Loved the new Robot Master select screen,which now features a silhouette and a stage icon. Nice touches.

I ignored the new Gear system and played classic style. I was happy to see that the game appears to be built without the Gears in mind, and that they can be used just as a crutch for newer players.

Normal felt like a decent challenge. Lost three lives total - once to the second miniboss, once to a conveyor jump, and once to Block Man.

Block Man himself was pretty jokes, and I perfected him the second time out. Still lots of fun through.

Overall, super excited for this game. I'm hoping they pile on the content as well, though I suspect they'll be dicks and hold the goodies back as DLC (i.e. extra characters or additional difficulties).

EDIT: I just tried the game in handheld mode. The lack of a d-pad was kind of annoying, but the real killer was the right analog stick being so close to the jump button. I kept switch powers by accident. Hope that's a feature you can turn off.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Joseph Staleknight wrote: 5 years ago I tried out the demo too, but ended up calling it quits when I got to the vertical corridor where the belts were moving the blocks. I just could not get the timing down to ascend, even with the Speed Gear. Didn't help that I lost most of my lives before that and was afraid of Gaming Over.
I just used Rush coil

Which by the way I love being mapped to its own button!