(shouting)

mario odyssey chat, featuring spoilers

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

mario odyssey chat, featuring spoilers

Post by Slimeman01 »

So I made this

Laugh please
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Bean
Yep.

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Bean »

Slimeman01 wrote: 6 years ago So I made this

Laugh please
This is funny to me because of a glitch I saw in a wrestling game that led to the player just waiting for the game to do something after a match ended.

After I get a bit of stuff done tonight, it's time for the Metro Kingdom.
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

Slimeman01 wrote: Laugh please
Don't worry I laughed
It's beautiful

I started a second playthrough of Dark Witch Brave Dungeon on Lunatic difficulty.
I've beaten the first boss so far with a different team than my first playthrough. It was a bit tedious. It kept on resummoning the Mini Blubbers, and it dealt a bunch of damage.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Metro Kingdom in Mario Odyssey made me a very happy person this morning. That place is definitely my favorite in the game so far.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I had to look up another moon solution today because it's the dumbest thing.
In the Wooded Kingdom

there's a moon called "A Treasure Made From Coins" where you're supposed to jump into deep woods, locate the coin purse guy (who I never even noticed was there before), possess it, and shoot your coins at a plant. I actually did notice the plant in the river and figured it was something to do with that cause there were coins laying next to it, but if you never notice the coin purse guy, you'll never figure this part out.
Also, even once I looked up the solution and knew what to do it still took me like 20 minutes of running around to find the stupid coin purse guy, and to top it all off you have to shoot like 800 coins into the damn thing to get it to spit the moon out.

Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago Metro Kingdom in Mario Odyssey made me a very happy person this morning. That place is definitely my favorite in the game so far.
Yes it is neat. You are right.

You know what isn't neat tho

100 jumps

I'm gonna have a stab at it but if there is one moon I skip in this whole game, it's probably that
Slimeman01

Post by Slimeman01 »

Mata Hari wrote: 6 years ago You know what isn't neat tho

100 jumps

I'm gonna have a stab at it but if there is one moon I skip in this whole game, it's probably that
Oof, good luck with that
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Finished collecting all moons/purple coins in Mario Odyssey. I believe this is technically considered 100%, but I'm gonna keep going and buy all the outfits and cap out on moons too.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I'm at the final checkpoint in Mario Odyssey, but I've played it enough for today that I'll finish it off next time.
Slimeman01

Post by Slimeman01 »

Ok, I just started the Hardest Odyssey level yesterday, and holy crap. That's all I'll say (mostly to keep it a secret from everybody). If anybody else has attempted this, they'll know exactly how I feel
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Slimeman01 wrote: 6 years ago Ok, I just started the Hardest Odyssey level yesterday, and holy crap. That's all I'll say (mostly to keep it a secret from everybody). If anybody else has attempted this, they'll know exactly how I feel
Damn thing took me like an hour.
Honestly the hardest part I found was

the pokey bird section near the end. I already suck at controlling those things as it is, I had no idea how to handle flinging him off of swinging boards. As soon as I got past his section the first time I completed it. But that was the main blockage for me.

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I know I took a picture of the Sand Kingdom artwork, but I can not get the Power Moon to show up for the life of me in the kingdom it's supposed to be in. This is even after looking at a guide, so I'm just going to imagine it's for when I beat the game or something because that was a slight annoyance.

Edit: Decided to stop backtracking and beat the game. I am already enjoying the post-game stuff a lot here.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

I beat the game and dunno how to feel about

them taking a leaf out of Sonic's book for the insanely cheesy finale music.

It's pretty funny but I don't think they could get away with it a second time.

I think there was something else I was gonna say but it has escaped me.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Mata Hari wrote: 6 years ago I beat the game and dunno how to feel about

I swear I was totally thinking the same thing the whole time. The corny music playing as a backing track to the finale felt so Sonic to me, it was really uncomfortable. I had a few issues with the ending. That was a big one, but also like, the way the Mario/Peach/Bowser relationship is presented at the end.

I always figured Peach was Mario's girlfriend. But the ending seemed to present their relationship like Mario and Bowser are both approaching trying to get Peach's returned love with different but equal methods. The fact that Bowser kidnapped Peach and traveled the world, ruining kingdoms 1 at a time and tries to literally force Peach to marry him is suddenly thrown out the window and Peach seemingly has no gratitude to Mario for saving her. I suppose it falls in line with Nintendo's more recent idea behind the Mario gang, that they're not real characters in their own universe, just like a gang of actors that do performances for each of the games. But it felt so wrong at the end when Mario and Bowser are both trying to give Peach flowers and she gets mad at both of them and then just about leaves them both behind stranded on the moon. Since when was being Mario such a thankless job? Has he been in the friend zone this entire time? Does Peach view Mario and Bowser exactly the same? I felt some sort of Mario blue-balls or something, I don't know.

Slimeman01

Post by Slimeman01 »

You had to admit though it was pretty funny
warpio

Post by warpio »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago
Mata Hari wrote: 6 years ago I beat the game and dunno how to feel about

I swear I was totally thinking the same thing the whole time. The corny music playing as a backing track to the finale felt so Sonic to me, it was really uncomfortable. I had a few issues with the ending. That was a big one, but also like, the way the Mario/Peach/Bowser relationship is presented at the end.

I always figured Peach was Mario's girlfriend. But the ending seemed to present their relationship like Mario and Bowser are both approaching trying to get Peach's returned love with different but equal methods. The fact that Bowser kidnapped Peach and traveled the world, ruining kingdoms 1 at a time and tries to literally force Peach to marry him is suddenly thrown out the window and Peach seemingly has no gratitude to Mario for saving her. I suppose it falls in line with Nintendo's more recent idea behind the Mario gang, that they're not real characters in their own universe, just like a gang of actors that do performances for each of the games. But it felt so wrong at the end when Mario and Bowser are both trying to give Peach flowers and she gets mad at both of them and then just about leaves them both behind stranded on the moon. Since when was being Mario such a thankless job? Has he been in the friend zone this entire time? Does Peach view Mario and Bowser exactly the same? I felt some sort of Mario blue-balls or something, I don't know.

I didn't get that impression from the ending at all.

"Peach seemingly has no gratitude to Mario for saving her".
Why? Just because she didn't kiss Mario on the nose like she usually does at the end of these games? I think because of absurd situation they were in at the time, it made more sense to go for a gag scene like that than a sweet "Thank you, Mario! *smooch*" scene.

It's not that she was mad at Mario and was gonna leave him there. Just that she had to take charge and bring Tiara and Cappy home to safety since Mario was acting like a goofball and started copying exactly what Bowser was doing. And obviously she knew Mario could easily jump up to the Odyssey as it was taking off, especially in the lowered moon gravity. There's no way she was thinking of taking off without him.

In fact, in the post-game kingdom revisits, Peach is completely over the whole thing and is still as happy to see Mario as ever whenever you run into her. I actually think this was the best characterization of Peach yet in a mainline Mario game.

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

This was my take on it.

Peach just got done being rescued, and here's Mr. Hero acting like a dope on the level of Bowser with how that scene played out. By the time she got on the ship, Mario (and Bowser since it's a game for everyone) was forgiven, but plumber boy came off in poor form there with how he was acting. You ain't entitled to anything, video game hero. I got a huge laugh at Mario consoling Bowser though. That was great. Ha-ha.

Also, my Power Moon count is getting pretty high up there now as I do my post-game world tour.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

When someone has had a traumatic experience of kidnapping and forced marriage, what you don't do is declare your undying love immediately afterwards. That's just not a winning play.

There is also the fact that, as brave and loyal and talented as Mario is, he's also a weird little malformed runt who probably isn't all there mentally

Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago

I got a huge laugh at Mario consoling Bowser though. That was great. Ha-ha.

This bugged me too for the exact same reasons! Why are Mario and Bowser just pals all of a sudden!? We saw him doing evil things! Suddenly the entire premise of the game is like "hah, yeah Bowser learned his lesson and we're still pals." I didn't run through a dozen or so kingdoms and travel to the moon to reason with Bowser and make up, I came to kick his face in and leave him stranded on the moon!

BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

Holy cow that is the most spoiler text I've seen in one place.

I beat the first bosses of the other dungeons except for Godshill's in Brave Dungeon.
If only the ice place 1st boss didn't attack so much.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I've got an ispoiler box inside a spoiler box on this one. Do not click on them unless you want to see a Super Mario Odyssey post-game spoiler.

Dang woodpecker bird segment ruined a very great first* attempt at Darker Side, and I'm usually good with that thing. *I lost to the very first obstacle on my actual first run since I don't like building Goomba towers to hit that UFO hat thing. Thankfully, I found out after beating it that it's optional. I don't think this is going to have the bite of final levels in 3D Land/World, so I think I'll get it eventually, but they make up for it by being a ten to fifteen-minute level or so.

Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago I've got an ispoiler box inside a spoiler box on this one. Do not click on them unless you want to see a Super Mario Odyssey post-game spoiler.

Dang woodpecker bird segment ruined a very great first* attempt at Darker Side, and I'm usually good with that thing. *I lost to the very first obstacle on my actual first run since I don't like building Goomba towers to hit that UFO hat thing. Thankfully, I found out after beating it that it's optional. I don't think this is going to have the bite of final levels in 3D Land/World, so I think I'll get it eventually, but they make up for it by being a ten to fifteen-minute level or so.

That damn bird section is the main blocker of that final stage. As soon as I got past it my first time I was able to finally finish. I just don't know how to control those things.

Also I don't even know what the UFO is there for. I always just ran past it, haha

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago

Also I don't even know what the UFO is there for. I always just ran past it, haha

Life-Up Heart... which is made irrelevant once you reach the Sphynx.

Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Hah, yeah I have no idea why you'd need one that early.

blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

Super Mario Odyssey

Man some of those bonus moon levels are brutal as hell!

"That's embarrassing"