(shouting)

mario odyssey chat, featuring spoilers

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

a fuckin load of black bars (aka the mario odyssey thread(

Post by Slimeman01 »

I finally did it
After slaving away on a bonus stage for like 2 hours so I could grind 9999 coins for my last 107 moons, I finally did it
I beat Mario Odyssey 100%
All outfits, 999 moons, final boss

secret portrait

, difficult final level completed, all souvenirs, all music, all captures.

Man it feels good to be done, but it also feels kinda sad tbh, this game was such a masterpiece, I need more of it
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
freakin whatzit
welcome to th :|
First name: alex
Pronouns: they or she

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by freakin whatzit »

here's my review for super mario odyssey:
they took all the creativity out of the rpgs and put it into the main series.

(p.s. some of you took the ending more seriously than anyone at nintendo ever did)

(p.p.s. the ending song was Good ActuallyTM)
I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO. COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ARE ALL UNPARDONABLE! YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Glad you stuck with it. I knew the gameplay would overcome story/PS1 technical flaws in the end. I personally think they get better over the next two games, but FF7's still a pretty fun time.

And in Super Mario Odyssey, I finally got back to it after five days and beat that level in the post-game.

That freaking woodpecker bird section was the result of every one of my legitimate failures on it. Once I got past that after three tries, I nearly aced the rest of it. Guess I should actually try the Dark Side of the Moon now that I've done Darker Side, huh?

Oh, and for that boring block ride right before the woodpecker part, I found it easier just letting those things that shoot out rings of fire take out those hopping critter enemies than try to deal with them with Cappy. That way, I only had to deal with jumping the rings of fire, and that's easy when you have the cap toss. Nice level, but I liked Galaxy 2 and 3D World's super finale levels more.

Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago

That freaking woodpecker bird section was the result of every one of my legitimate failures on it. Once I got past that after three tries, I nearly aced the rest of it.

Same situation for me. I think the woodpecker part took me 4 or 5 attempts and as soon as I got past that, it was smooth sailing.
Fun fact: you can actually take advantage of the Glydon tornado section to launch him super high into the air and all the way to the Bowser painting, skipping the woodpecker segment as well as a few others. I've never done it myself but I saw it in a video. It seemingly was known by devs too, because you can actually get above the wall holding the painting and there's coins on top of it.

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I tried that, but I kept mistiming it. I did keep landing at the pipe, so I got a free pass past the small bit right before it.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I'm not sure I can actually be bothered to beat that level.

I did use the frog glitch to get to the end for shits, but obviously that doesn't mean anything.

I'm actually finding there's a lot of stuff in Odyssey I can't be bothered to do, such as the races, which is weird because it is a good game. I mean I never liked races anyway. But there is still a lot of stuff I can do even without the stuff I can't be bothered to do, as it were.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Unless you mean you're just not doing them because it doesn't interest you, I don't think the races should be much of a blocker. They're usually pretty easy because the fastest Koopa will usually take the "intended" route and basically every race course has some kind of shortcut if you know how to optimize your jumps with Cappy throws and whatnot.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

The races just don't interest me. I'm not great at the game but I'm pretty sure I could beat them if I actually tried
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

My least favorite ones are the ground pound this spot/these spots (rumble, hint art, enemy attacks, etc.). That's not platforming. That's just dumb. Of course, you have to remember that I like the point-to-point platformers more than the playground ones. 64 never really didn't much for me, but Odyssey at least keeps some of what made the later 3D Marios fun.

I have a little more time to play today. I'll finally try and finish up some of these kingdoms I've been slacking off on. All the purple coins are collected, and yeah, I totally used a guide for what few stragglers I had left.
Mata Hari

Re: a fuckin load of black bars (aka the mario odyssey thread(

Post by Mata Hari »

I probably should have actually made a dedicated marty thread a couple weeks ago but here it is. I wanted to move all the posts but unless I'm being stupid the phpbb interface for splitting topics doesn't let you select posts from multiple pages. I really hope I'm being stupid.

I didn't pick the OP deliberately it's just the earliest post I could be arsed to move.
Bean
Yep.

Re: mario odyssey chat, featuring spoilers

Post by Bean »

All right, so is it okay to talk about this game then without the spoiler boxes now? I wouldn't mind that.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: a fuckin load of black bars (aka the mario odyssey thread(

Post by Alice »

Mata Hari wrote: 6 years agoI probably should have actually made a dedicated marty thread a couple weeks ago but here it is. I wanted to move all the posts but unless I'm being stupid the phpbb interface for splitting topics doesn't let you select posts from multiple pages. I really hope I'm being stupid.

I didn't pick the OP deliberately it's just the earliest post I could be arsed to move.
I think you might've made this one the what're you playing thread according to what the talkhaus' subscription system thinks, lol.

Edit: Also phpBB's thread moderation tools are garbage. There's no options like that.
Ashan

Re: mario dies at the end

Post by Ashan »

It's not like this is a big booming thread, it sometimes goes a day without getting any posts. I don't see a reason to split it up
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Metro Kingdom was definitely the best part of the game. New Donk City had a great mix of platforming and exploration going on, both horizontally and vertically. Honestly, until I hit that point, I kind of felt like the game outside of the Wooded Kingdom before it was going through the motions and was going to be another playground 3D game where a lot of the parts didn't matter. Thankfully, stuff like Seaside and Luncheon came into play after that, so my opinion didn't go right back down. Glad for that.

The Sand Kingdom was the low point for the reason I was just talking about. A lot of that area was so empty. It just existed for the sake of existing. At least the Snow area was nice enough to be smaller in size. The Lost Kingdom also could've stayed lost. It was another existing for the sake of it deal.

Great game where I'm glad they didn't throw out the platforming entirely for exploration, but there were definitely too many goals that felt like they were thrown in for the sake of it. Ground pounding for Power Moons especially got old. I liked a lot of the bonus challenge areas. That's where my kind of 3D Mario's at. The cap gimmick was also great whether it was used on enemies or for extra distance on jumps. Fun times.
Last edited by Bean 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Slimeman01

Post by Slimeman01 »

I know a lot of people have been saying how the music of the game isn't all that great, and that galaxy's is better, while I disagree. I think that almost every single track in this game is a gem, and each are unique in their own way.
-I love the weird and mysterious music of the Cap Kingdom
-I love the extremely memorable and fast paced music of the Cascade Kingdom
-I love the slower paced, but weirdly funky music of the Tostarena Ruins
-I love the fast-paced and funky beat of the Wooded Kingdom
-I love the mysterious and almost jazzy music of the Lost Kingdom
-I love the jazzy and fun music of the Metro Kingdom, and I also really love the Story music of the metro kingdom, that electric guitar is so good
-I love the homey and slower music of the Snow Kingdom village
-I love the funky and bouncy music of the Luncheon kingdom, I especially love how it is almost entirely kitchen noises
-I really love the oriental and intense music of the latter half of Bowser's kingdom, but the first half is still amazing

The only kingdoms I'm not super fond for are the Lake, Sea-side, and Moon kingdoms, mostly because those tracks are too slow for my tastes.
However, the moon cave, and escape sequence music are soooo good.

Also maybe this is just me, but when listening to the background music of the Luncheon kingdom, does anybody else feel like those sounds could be remade into Crash Bandicoot music?
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

I think the Wooded Kingdom is actually better than the Metro Kingdom
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Mata Hari wrote: 6 years ago I think the Wooded Kingdom is actually better than the Metro Kingdom
I can see that take. I just lose a little interest in the dark forest area a bit. It's definitely one of the fun places to go to at the very least, and that enemy with the stretchy legs is fun to mess around with.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Metro is overrated imo
Not bad by any means, but I agree Wooded Kingdom is better. Especially since it has the best track in the game
Slimeman01

Post by Slimeman01 »

I think my personal favourite kingdom(s) are either Luncheon, or Wooded
warpio

Post by warpio »

Bowser's Kingdom is my favorite for sure. It has such a ridiculously cool aesthetic, and the music gets you really pumped, and I find the platforming ontop of rooftops and climbing walls with the bird really fun... plus it has the one Broodals battle that actually isn't laughably dumb.
HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

warpio wrote: Bowser's Kingdom is my favorite for sure. It has such a ridiculously cool aesthetic, and the music gets you really pumped, and I find the platforming ontop of rooftops and climbing walls with the bird really fun... plus it has the one Broodals battle that actually isn't laughably dumb.
You never made it to the Dark Side, did you?

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So, what do any of you guys think of Luigi's Balloon World?

I think it's pretty fun. But to get to rank 50, I think they asked you to find way to many Balloons. All the other star ranks can be maxed out way before then.
My favorite Kingdom to play Balloon World is called Seaside Kingdom, I think. Such a chill place.

Finally, for Bean: what may have been easier for you is if you used motion controls, sounded like you had trouble flicking the bird.
-A shake in the wall will send the bird straight up
-Another shake in midair acts like a Mario Galaxy double jump.
You can also achieve the midair hop by rotating the control stick, but good luck that way.
-Extending the beak and spinning acts like a Zelda spin attack.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000