(shouting)

Paper Mario 64 Discussion

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Paper Mario 64 Discussion

Post by raekuul »

Though if you're skilled enough with the battles, making Chapter 4 into Slightly Harder Chapter 4 is worth it.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Petzi

Re: Paper Mario 64: Merlon's House

Post by Petzi »

raekuul wrote: 6 years ago Virtual Console is an emu. Nintendo just knows what they're doing and doesn't use the Plugin System that most N64 emulators use (so a lot of the graphical problems don't happen, though there is still slowdown where there shouldn't be).

With that said, there are configurations that can minimize the issues, but I need to know some details about your setup first. What is your operating system (including whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit) and what emulator are you using.

I mean I'm probably going to end up suggesting you switch to BizHawk either way but it helps to know what the starting point is.
I, too, share Noodle's question. What emulator should I use to play Paper Mario? Why'd you scratch out BizHawk?
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.
Noodle
AKA Stingy
Pronouns: I/me/mine

Post by Noodle »

To those of you who say "This is irrelevant", it is still relevant. There were just no posts for a long time. This thread is always relevant for noobs who need help.
raekuul

Re: Paper Mario 64: Merlon's House

Post by raekuul »

Noodle wrote: To those of you who say "This is irrelevant", it is still relevant. There were just no posts for a long time. This thread is always relevant for noobs who need help.
Petzi wrote: 6 years ago I, too, share Noodle's question. What emulator should I use to play Paper Mario? Why'd you scratch out BizHawk?
The reason I scratched out BizHawk is because I'm going to suggest it anyway, but I need to know your setup first in order to know what else to suggest as a low-powered alternative.
If you can do it, run it in Virtual Console since that's not using the Plugin System that virtually all useful N64 emulators use at this time. Anything else will have inaccuracies since the plugins are generally inaccurate (some plugins moreso than others).
BizHawk currently runs (a fork of) Mupen64Plus as its N64 core. You need to be running at least Windows 7, and you need to run the prerequisites installer first. It supports the most recent accurate plugins and should be good to go once set up.

If you insist on playing on mobile, I can't help you with that. Mostly due to unfamiliarity.
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

I'd like to play on Windows 10, so no problem there. My problem with Paper Mario on emulators is the graphical issues and slowdowns. By "setup", you mean my hardware?
Noodle
AKA Stingy
Pronouns: I/me/mine

Post by Noodle »

Petzi wrote: 6 years ago I'd like to play on Windows 10, so no problem there. My problem with Paper Mario on emulators is the graphical issues and slowdowns. By "setup", you mean my hardware?
By setup I think they mean setting up the emulator
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I mean stuff like your operating system.

If you're running on windows 10, grab BizHawk and the BizHawk Prereqs installer, and install those. Then load up Paper Mario like you would in other emulators.
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

Thanks! I really need to get a controller before I play it, though.
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

So I tried Paper Mario using mugen64plus and it runs just great! Maping N64 controls onto a Logitech F310 takes a bit of thinking, but I'm super happy with it. I can finally play it without the graphical glitches of that awful emulator I used to use.
warpio

Post by warpio »

I think when it comes to playing the N64 library, it's much more worth your time to mod a Wii or WiiU and play the games on the virtual console, rather than fiddling with all the godawful emulation issues.

Or you can go all the way and just shell out some dough for an actual HDMI-modded N64 console on ebay and a flash cart, and then you can run every game exactly how it was meant to run with no fuss at all (you should really only do this if there are a number of n64 games you love a lot that never got virtual console releases or a remake/port, ie not Paper Mario)