(shouting)

favorite final fantasy

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!

whats your favorite final fantasy

final fantasy 6
18%
Final fantasy 6
21%
Final Fantasy 6
21%
final Fantas6 6
26%
final VI
15%

Total votes: 34

rena
type 2 invested entity
First name: cat
Pronouns: spider
https://rena.talkhaus.com/

favorite final fantasy

Post by rena »

mine is 6 bcs edgar is hot 😍😍😍😍
Bean
Yep.

Re: favorite final fantasy

Post by Bean »

VIII because you don't have to level up, you've got the best minigame that allows you to quickly break the game in the first 15 minutes, and the music is some of my favorite in the series. Plus, I liked Squall and the world itself outside of a few Disc 3 locations. IV (more if it's the DS version) & VI are pretty high up on the list for me, too, then IX & VII.
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago VIII because you don't have to level up, you've got the best minigame that allows you to quickly break the game in the first 15 minutes, and the music is some of my favorite in the series. Plus, I liked Squall and the world itself outside of a few Disc 3 locations. IV (more if it's the DS version) & VI are pretty high up on the list for me, too, then IX & VII.
VIII was rly cool actually I spent forever doing the card game and junctioning magic and driving my car around, and I'm a sucker for the dumb space scene
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I've only beaten 1, 2, 7, 8, Tactics Advance and Tactics A2. Of those, 2 and 7 are my favorites (2 because OH MAN IT'S DIFFERENT, 7 because OH MAN NOSTALGIA).

I've played 1-9, 12, and all of the Tactics subseries. I've played about half of 3, I'm guessing I'm a quarter of the way through 4 (I'm playing the DS version), a quarter of 5, as far as Doma in 6, I've just barely started 9, and I've just busted out of prison in 12. Tactics I've only played through the first chapter.

I have played none of the side series aside from Tactics. Unless you count Kingdom Hearts as a FF side series, which I've beaten 1, 2, and CoM.

Before you ask, I didn't have a SNES growing up (we had a Sega Genesis instead, and later a Playstation) so I never got the Classic Experience that most of y'all seem to have had.
Last edited by raekuul 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

The one I'd like to experience for the first time again is 7. So much nostalgia.
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

Hey everyone! I am a big big fan of Final Fantasy. First, FF4, I think I am inside the comic book. Theme of Love, Main OW Theme, intro part of Battle 1 and 2. Second, FF5, Job system like FF3J. I love collecting 12 weapons, Ragnarok. Shinryu and Omega, unforgettable battle in my life. Third, FF6, 14 characters Holy moly. Raising favorite 4 characters. It was fun. Decisive Battle ost, Terra ost, Opening scene is really super duper nice! Fourth, FF7, new console. Materia and side-quest are my favourites. I am surprised at new graphic. FF8, hmm... not a big fan.. Last, FF9. IT WAS THE BEST GAME EVER EVER!!!!! Everything is perfect! Graphic, music, plot, enemies, system, characters.. It was too short for me... Yep.
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

FFXIV is probably the only MMO I ever felt like playing for more than 10 hours.

God damn it's such a good game.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
rena
type 2 invested entity

Post by rena »

Sorel wrote: 6 years ago FFXIV is probably the only MMO I ever felt like playing for more than 10 hours.

God damn it's such a good game.
>currently in game FFXIV in signature

:lol:

i played it a bit in the beta and it seemed enjoyable but ive heard it had some major updates after that, is it worth revisiting?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Hey. Final Fantasy opinion time.
-1's too basic, even the PSP remake. It's my least favorite.

-2 (PSP) has an interesting way to make your characters stronger, but it feels like the difficulty curve suffers. The empty rooms with ridiculously high encounter rates got old near the end.

-3 (DS) was okay for introducing the job system, but my goodness, that last dungeon is over an hour long and has no save points. Yikes.

-4 (SNES) added save points to dungeons and the ATB fight system. Big step up from the NES days. The DS game added in Augments which let your characters get special abilities and actually threw a little more challenge into battles. I love this one.

-I only played 5 on the PS1, and the insufferable loading times ruined it for me. Had this game come out over here on the SNES, I'd probably like it more. As it is, it did little for me in a post-SNES world.

-6 was awesome... but it's also highly broken on the SNES. That Vanish/X-Zone thing is too much to ignore. I will say that when my one friend told me certain stats are only raised by having Magicite equipped at level ups was interesting, but you've got so many ways to break the game with weapons that most people will probably ignore this like I did back in the day.

-7's Materia system was awesome, no two ways about it. Plenty of combinations to build offensively and defensively against enemies. I loved the music and the setting of this and the next game a whole lot. Fantasy in the present with some futuristic elements really works well. Use Dazers on the Ruby Weapon, and go to town.

-Already said 8's my favorite. Best minigame ever with Triple Triad which also allowed you to boost stats quickly if you didn't want to do the whole Draw thing early on, and you don't have to level up your characters much at all. Honestly, the moment I get that thunder bird's Card Mod ability, I finish off enemies with that to keep my levels down and stats up. Great time with a ton of sidequests.

-9 is also very good. It goes back to the old school style where characters can't be whatever you want like 4 was. It didn't have as much to it that I liked as 8, but it still had plenty. I did not like this when it first came out due to PS2 hype and liking Chrono Cross more at the time, but nah. This one does a lot right and has a fun cast outside of the thief rival and annoying little kid that I never put in the party unless forced to.

-10 was such a disappointment. My least favorite character type is the stoic person that knows everything but won't tell you, so yeah. Tidus was intentionally annoying, but that still makes him annoying, and the original version hardly had any fights that were tough outside of the arena fights. As bad as 13 gets railed on, 10 was doing "outdoor corridors" before that with a combat system that dropped the ATB for something a little different. It didn't sit well with me, but I did like the ending and Blitzball is second to Triple Triad for my favorite minigame in FF.

-12 was a breath of fresh air because it came out just after I played the unfortunate Phantasy Star Universe. The Gambit system made the AI pretty reliable, and I liked going to places I shouldn't be to get stuff that would break the game. Silly way of getting that Zodiac Spear, but the characters and plot were all right. Still, I took a 1.5 year break once I hit that big dungeon near the end before going back to beat the last few hours in one night, so something was still off. I think Final Fantasy lost something special after 9.

-13 is the most recent main one I beat. It's basically 10 with a cast that's equally unlikable and no Blitzball to save it. The game needed less corridors and more interesting diversions than hunts since the only thing you do in that game is fight or walk to the cutscenes. I platinumed this one because I had nothing better to do. World of Final Fantasy, a game I played right after, was so much more fun.

-Tactics was great on the PS1, but I was never interested in any other spinoffs of the series until World of.

-Never played 11 or 14 because of the online aspects, but 15 looks like another flawed interesting post-FF9 game. Wonder if I'd like it or not.

And there we go.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Brave exvius is the best FF

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago -2 (PSP) has an interesting way to make your characters stronger, but it feels like the difficulty curve suffers. The empty rooms with ridiculously high encounter rates got old near the end.
In the words of Hardcore Gaming 101:
Somehow -- god only knows why -- I'm uncertain how to judge this game. Even if it's tedious, brutal, and probably the weakest entry in the series, the number of mainstay Final Fantasy concepts it introduces is staggering. Final Fantasy II's far-reaching influence is reason enough to give it the benefit of the doubt to some extent, but I cannot in good conscience recommend an RPG that encourages its players to club themselves in the face.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Real talk, the only one I finished was X. I liked it.
I played through the first ~2/3 of Hallways Simulator 2009 FFXIII but gave up at Gran Pulse cause I didn't want to grind. I did think it had a neat battle system, I just don't think I was very good at it.
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

i've only ever beaten the first final fantasy (through dawn of souls) but i like final fantasy 5 a lot and would like to finish that one someday, maybe
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 6 years ago i've only ever beaten the first final fantasy (through dawn of souls) but i like final fantasy 5 a lot and would like to finish that one someday, maybe
What I love in FF5 are FF3 Advanced Job System, You can see ATB Timeline, Two different Worlds, Underwater quest, Great enemies like Gliga____&Ex-D____ , Shinryu and Omega. These are really nice thingy!
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

This poll fails. I don't see Final Fantasy 9 here. I think it may be rigged slightly.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Wait I thought this was final flantasy. Whoops.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

It's OK for there to only be one option in the poll if it happens to be the only right option. ;)

FFVI is tons of fun for challenge runs and hacks and whatnot. There's just so much stuff that can be done with the battle system. Its story and music are also fairly close to the top, although I think IX is better on both of those fronts.

FFIII (DS version, haven't played the original) is probably my least favourite. It has quite a few poor design decisions (like penalizing you for switching job classes, then forcing you to switch job classes) and the only story that felt like it was just wasting my time.
Schmiggety
Special Edition
First name: First name: First name:

Post by Schmiggety »

My favorite is probably 2.

I really like broken games, so it's right up there with oblivion for me. It's probably the most broken rpg I've ever played.
You can be endgame ready before advancing the plot at all just by grinding shields and unarmed for a little bit. Messed around with it recently and it seems to determine turn order by who has the most evasion. So it turns out that shields are even more broken than I thought they were. You don't even need good agility to go first, you just need good shield skill. A few evasion ups, a good shield, and osmose trivialize every single fight in the game. You literally cannot take damage at that point.
Berserk is amazing in this game too, and it's available right from the start if you know where to look. Actually pretty much everything (except for like, osmose) is available after you get the canoe if you're dedicated enough.
My biggest problem with it is that offensive magic is so much worse than physical attacks. The game makes a big deal out of getting the ultima tome, but even that will always be worse than just smacking things. Maxed Ultima rank with max spirit stat hits for like 6k. Good weapons hit harder without buffs. If I remember right, the weakest weapons in the game can hit for max damage if you buff them with haste and berserk. So 9999 twice, since dual wielding is a thing. That takes 3 turns to set up with a single character. You could caste ultima 3 times for 18k damage, or you could spend 2 turns buffing followed by a single attack turn and still outpace ultima by 2k damage with the worst weapons in the game. Not that anything can survive that anyway. That double 9999 kills the final boss by itself. Man I played this game too much.

Anyway, what I guess I'm really trying to say is that FFII right after you get the canoe is my favorite Final Fantasy game. You don't really need to play it anymore after that. The dungeons were pretty bad and the story can be a pain to advance sometimes if you don't know where to go.
Wah
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

I'd say FFX and FFV. For FFX, I think it's a fairly average FF game with overall plot, setup and job/battle system. Perhaps why I like it so much was the time frame I had played it. It was one of first RPGs I had beaten, alongside Chrono Trigger and Wild Arms. The sense of accomplishment of beating a game as a kid was a great feeling and it was a very memorable experience for me. As for FFV, it was game that I found to appreciate after going through all the other FF games. The job system in the game was one of my favorite job systems to put time and experiment with compared to all the other games. It's kinda why I dug Bravely Default when that had came out as well. Also, Bartz being a sorta mellow protagonist with the rest of the FFV crew was cool.

As for another Final Fantasy game that I also like to put in the running, yet don't think I can since it's an MMO, is Final Fantasy XIV. It's got a pretty solid story that expands along with the game. For an MMO, it's probably the best first experience I could get out of it (Thank goodness I did not play FFXIV during it's 1.0 era).
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Of the lot, Tactics, 5, and 12 have always been my favorites, and Final Fantasy Tactics is still my most favorite game of all time. Tactics for dat story and gameplay coupled with one of the best iterations of the job system in the entire FF franchise, Final Fantasy 5 for dat gameplay and yet another stellar example of a well put-together job system, and Final Fantasy 12 for the massive world, seamless gameplay, and huge checklists of things to do that don't involve minigames that take hours and hours and have nothing to do with killing stuff.

Final Fantasy 2 and 3, while not my favorites, are guilty pleasures of mine that I've developed in recent years. They both stomped me back when their rereleased versions were new, but since then, I've had tons of fun finding new ways to break them and/or play them efficiently. In fact, I'm currently running FF3 with a set of so-called sub-par jobs (Red Mage, Thief, Geomancer, Ranger) to see if anything surprises me in effectiveness.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
aka Cthulhu
Totally not a murderous tentacle. You can trust him.

Post by aka Cthulhu »

I reckon Tactics is my favorite. That said, VII has a special place in my heart, since it's the first RPG I played. Amusingly, I hated it when my sister bought it, since we took turns on the Playstation, and she took too long while I wanted to play the game I bought, Skullmonkeys. Still, after my sister got stuck on one point I played the game and I enjoyed it, since it was me playing the game and all that.

Also, back when I played it I was completely and utterly incompetent at a lot of things about the game. It's a miracle that I somehow managed to beat the game. Hell, it was a big miracle that I got past disk 2. Like seriously, no idea how accessories worked, no idea how those purple materia worked... in fact, give Cloud as much summon materia as possible. During the last boss he has like close to less than 1,000 hp.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Final Fantasy XIII is the best one because it's the most incontinent.

PlatinumTriforce
Professional Profanity Practitioner

Post by PlatinumTriforce »

3J
peteyboo wrote:Platinum vs. raocow vs. myself triple battle at the same time

48 hours straight of Hyper VII. Whoever beats it first wins!
I love it.

Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Post by Kapus »