(shouting)

Childhood games

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
PikaFlare
The sunlight is harsh....

Childhood games

Post by PikaFlare »

I'm sure we all have that one game we grew up with that we absolutely love despite its flaws. So, what is it? Why is that game so memorable to you?

A game that I hold very close to my heart has to be the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, specifically Blue Rescue team and Explorers of Darkness. Those games helped me through some tough times. Since I was usually picked on throughout my schooling, I always used video games as an escape. The Mystery Dungeon games were probably my most played DS games back then. I finished the story mode, the extra missions, recruiting all of the legendary Pokemon, exploring every dungeon front to back. Going back to those games nowadays, I can definitely point out some very noticeable flaws. However, I have so many fond memories of them thorughout my childhood that I cannot bring myself to put them down.

Any of you guys have any similar experiences?
Ninja Steve
No Bonus!?
Pronouns: They/Them

Re: Childhood games

Post by Ninja Steve »

Not necessarily flaws, but back when I was a kid I remember Super Mario World being a lot harder than it actually is. I remember getting grounded as a kid because I talked about that game way too much. That and Pokémon Blue.
PikaFlare
The sunlight is harsh....

Post by PikaFlare »

Ninja Steve wrote:Not necessarily flaws, but back when I was a kid I remember Super Mario World being a lot harder than it actually is. I remember getting grounded as a kid because I talked about that game way too much. That and Pokémon Blue.
Ha! I remember SMW and Mega Man X being impossible back in the day. Now I can beat both without losing a single life. Good times!
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

I think I have guilty pleasures that include literally every game I owned before I was ten

let's see where I can start...

- Lego Island 2

It's basically your typical fetch quest game, except the gameplay quality's even worse than average. To be honest, even as a little kid I didn't pay attention to the canon game very much. Instead, what really intrigued me was being able to explore everywhere, without any restrictions such as time limits to complete tasks, a life meter, or any unfun restriction I could think of. I was able to take advantage of the game's glitches and do pretty much whatever I wanted with them. I could walk on water, walk up mountains, and deform tons of things in the game, from vehicles to buildings, even my own house. I really liked the freedom it gave me, I haven't felt that sort of freedom from many games since.

- Lego Racers (you can tell what I really liked as a little kid)

This is another huge favorite. While the gameplay's stupidly easy, (save for the impossiburu time attack ghosts) it was one of my favorites and remains one of my favorites BECAUSE it's stupidly easy. I love the brick powerups, even if there's no point in getting any other powerup besides green. I love how almost every track has a shortcut of some sort. Even when I had no real skill, I could still have as much fun as I wanted to. That was important to me as a four-year-old who had a forty minute limit on the computer each day.

- Stunt Rally (also lego)

It's another racing game with the added bonus you can build your own tracks from scratch. But the most noticeable thing about the game is that the despite being a 3D game, the view is restricted to a pseudo-isometric view. It's honestly not that fun, especially if you're zoomed in on the track. But it's totally something easy to cope with as a little kid. The canon tracks are pretty fun too, from what I remember.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

We had the original Rayman on PS1 which is hard as tits even for an adult so for a kid it's like no chance mate. I still remember the code to unlock all levels: NW?WD15!4Q

We also had The Way Things Work: Pinball Science, which I remembered being rad but when I 'acquired' it a few years back it turned out most of the difficulty came from the physics being absolutely atrociously bad.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Keith Courage in Alpha Zone.

I only ever made it halfway when I was 5. Then I had a nightmare about it (I kept stupidly dying in the game over and over again and I couldn't stop!), told my parents (BIG MISTAKE), and then it disappeared. Showed up on a yard sale a couple years later. Why didn't I do anything about it?!?!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Schmiggety
Special Edition
First name: First name: First name:

Post by Schmiggety »

Maaaan, I remember trying to play Chrono Trigger before I learned how to read. Me and my siblings just thought you had to mash the A button faster. We never got past Yakra with that method.
It was like a mind blowing experience trying it again after I could read. I had to go get my brother and be like, yo holy shit I just beat the yellow guy
Wah
Schmiggety
Special Edition
First name: First name: First name:

Post by Schmiggety »

Also did anyone else here play Illusion of Gaia as a kid?
Man that game is creepy. I used to have trouble playing that game if I was the only one at home. The soundtrack alone is creepy enough sometimes, and then there's the moon tribe. The moon tribe still kind of freaks me out.
Wah
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I guess it would be the first TMNT game. It's not that good, but it was fun to take that down first by cheating with a Game Genie and then legitimately a couple of weeks later. Mega Man II on the Game Boy is another one since it's an awful Mega Man game with a terrible soundtrack, but it's so easy that even my childhood didn't like the franchise that much until MMX self was able to enjoy it.
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

Yoshi's Story. It was my first 2D platformer and 3rd game ever. I remember one of the things I always liked to do in each level was find all 4 of the Miss Warps and then jump back and forth between them over and over again. It eventually lead to me wanting to make my own levels in the game so I could come up with neat little areas for them. I used to draw maps of made up levels on paper a lot. Mischief Makers was another game that I got a little later and also took about the same interest in, to the point where I also found myself drawing maps of fictional levels for it. Mario Kart 64 could also probably qualify since it was my first game ever, though I find it a bit harder to go back to now.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

This seems like a fun thread. I remember my first console games were rayman 1 and mickey mania. I also used to play a lot of old dos game on my father's PC. Some break-out and other things. Most of the memories are fairly blurry from back then. Big factor to what I played around the time was the old pc/computer magazine we ordered at the time too. They used to post daily/weekly games, which is how I discovered Pekka Kana 2 for example and a fair bit of other indie games. They did stop doing those when they renewed the magazine though. They also posted a cd once a year, that had a free collection of games and programs as a gift. There were also some educational games and such from the time like the jump start series, and some different ones from Sweden. Pettson and Findus, and Gary Gadget come to mind as having some nicely drawn games.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

My first gaming system was a Game Boy Colour. I never owned more than three games for it: Super Mario Bros. DX, Pokemon Yellow, and Pokemon Silver (saving money to buy new games took forever back then D:) but I have a lot of good memories playing them at school with my friends. Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie also hold a special place in my heart, along with the first Mario Party game.

Also I remember getting to borrow an NES with SMB3 from an acquaintance when I was like 5. I was utterly awful at it and could never get past the infinitely spawning Goombas in 1-2 (and I spent so many hours looking at the maps in the player's guide), but I'm fairly certain that's where my dedication to Nintendo, and later my interest in Mario hacking, comes from.
Jayoshi wrote:Lego Racers
Oh man I remember having this game as well. It took a while until my family got a computer that could handle it properly, though; for the longest time I couldn't get past the first cup because the game would crash on the results cutscene.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

i grew up with the gamecube but had an n64 and i played the shit out of banjo kazooie it and tooie still are so close to my heart to this day. same with pikmin / pikmin 2.

also ribbit king.

edit; also i remember playing pokemon emerald when i was still in elementary and my team for beating the elite four was a level 80 blaziken and rayquaza. i never used anything that wasnt my blaziken until i caught rayquaza.
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

oh man, this is a thread i can get behind.

one of my sisters got me into emulation at a really young age so i ended up playing a LOT of games in my youth, but i was mostly attached to RPGs... none of which i ever finished. we're talkin' Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Star Ocean: Second Story, Super Mario RPG, every Final Fantasy, and a bunch of never-localized-but-got-fan-translations games like Bahamut Lagoon and Treasure of the Rudras/Rudra no Hihou.

i still have strong connections with a lot of those games, but the game that really exemplifies the idea of a "childhood game" for me is Paper Mario. i got it for christmas in 2001 and fell in love with it pretty quickly. it was the first video game i ever beat, and it's still by far one of my favorite games ever, even if several of its concepts and mechanics have been done better in subsequent games.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Money

Post by Money »

The gba port of yoshi's island was my first Mario game ever, and yoshi's island is still my favorite game so.

Fun fact, two parts of the game scared me to the point I stopped playing for extended periods of time: the lunge fish level in world 3, and the text box behind door 3 of the final level that just says "RUN AWAY! HURRY!"
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

hahah, i have a somewhat similar story for yoshi's island. i could never play Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy because the dizzy effect scared me, so i'd always get one of my sisters to do it for me, and then i kept playing from 1-8 onwards.

same thing used to be the case with act 2 of Chemical Plant in sonic 2 because of the rising chemical water section near the end. oh, and all of Aquatic Ruin.

video games were very scary.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Bedlam
mega cool super
First name: [insert word]lam
Pronouns: guy/man/bob.

Post by Bedlam »

The two games I have the most nostalgia for is the Yoshi's Island port for the game boy, and Kirby 64. Such sweet, sweet nostalgia..
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I still play so many of the games I played as a kid that it's hard to pick one that still feels like a childhood game. One that still does feel that way to me is an obscure game called Hype the Time Quest. I remember the silly ghost enemies scared the daylights out of me. I never completed the game because I was too chicken to take on the final dungeon. I haven't played the game in at least a decade, but a lot of it has stuck in my head somehow.
warpio

Post by warpio »

My first video game that I can remember ever playing was Wonder Boy for the Sega Master System. It wasn't until a lot later when I was in my teens that I finally went back to that game and fully completed it... what an awesome nostalgia rush.

Just recently, I decided to get into the rest of the Wonder Boy games, and they are surprisingly really good, even though I don't have any nostalgia for them. While the first game is more of a linear Mario-type platformer, all the sequels are more like non-linear Zelda II style adventure/platformer games. My favorite of them is Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon's Trap.
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

Ape Escape and Spiderman 2000. The Spyro games get an honorable mention for being fantastic as hell, but it didn't leave as big a "nostalgia" impact. Maybe because they're just beyond that threshold where nostalgia has any meaning, not to say anything about Ape Escape's quality being any less. Just a weird sort of feeling.

Also Yoshi's Story and Glover, because I didn't own an N64 and could only play it at my cousin's house.
Death5955

Post by Death5955 »

I really enjoy kirby air ride.

I'm just hopelessly waiting in an ocean of mario karts for the kirby air ride sequel. It was so simplistic. yet so fun.
A general FYI: There's a new malicious discord bot going around known as Death. If you see it on your server or any other server, ban it or ping the server staff and have it banned immediately. If this bot PMs you, DO NOT download or click any of its files, namely "dishrag.exe.zip.rar.7z.png.oj". Spread the word to as many of your servers as you can. But still be careful if user: -Death-#5955 Joins a server you know/own get it banned and do not click ANY links or downloads.
HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

Surprisingly, my childhood games include Tony Hawk's American Wasteland and StarCraft. There's also Mario Party 5 and 6, Pikmin 1 and 2, Super Mario World, Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, SPORE, Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, Pokémon Snap, Sonic Heroes, Pac-Man World, Kirby Super Star, Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3, Duck Hunt, Hamster Ball Gold, Feeding Frenzy, Feeding Frenzy 2: Shipwreck Showdown, I SPY Spooky Mansion, and some M&M's game for the PlayStation.

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

My childhood game is Mario Forever, and man was that game a blast!
I used to play a lot of Mario flash games when I was a tiny child
The first official Mario game I got was Mario World for the GBA
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Omega Metroid
Antimatter made of matter. Do not question this, as therein lies the path to madness.
Pronouns: ghaH

Post by Omega Metroid »

Hmm... the Super Mario Land/Wario Land games always bring back memories, being my first games, but even then... I'd have to say Metroid: Zero Mission would probably be the game I loved the most while growing up, and probably one of the most influential for me as a whole.
aka Cthulhu
Totally not a murderous tentacle. You can trust him.

Post by aka Cthulhu »

Two game consoles I remember playing when I was really young. Well, three.

One was the NES/Family Computer... it's referred to as the latter here and dammit I'll call it that until I die. Anyway, I remember having one of those multiple games in one cartridges. I remember it had a Mario game, tetris, and this tennis game that I hated because my sister made me play it with her, and I was never very good at it.

Also vaguely remember those old gameboys. All I remember about it is the cover for where the batteries are placed is missing. Wait... Dragon Slayer. I remember not knowing what the heck I was supposed to do, and that music.

Then, this one is the one I'm honestly bothered about because I barely remember it and have no idea what it's called. It's some sort of handheld console, bigger than the old gameboy. Maybe pong-like graphics... well at least a little better than it. Just one game, some sort of side-scrolling shooter with maybe aliens. That's all I could remember, and I never found out what it was. Not sure but I think it used batteries that are bigger than the AA ones.

edit: upon making a search again, I realize that it might be the Entex Adventure Vision, and the game Defender. Game seems to fit my description, and the shape of the Adventure Vision is more or less the same shape as I remember it to be.

Not super sure as I remember that there was only one game. And not sure on the red light... I think the color of the light was green.

...maybe I had a bootleg.

But still, shape-wise the Adventure Vision fits my memory, and the premise of Defender is like what I remember.