(shouting)

AM2R

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Re: AM2R

Post by thatguyif »

Bean wrote:Almost everything they do or even don't do nowadays is scrutinized. Sony feels like the company that gets a free pass right now, and hardly anyone gives a spit about Microsoft. The two things I'm annoyed at them at are region locking and not defending their own employees when they were being bothered online constantly.
I saw a lot of people give Sony and Microsoft shit for the Neo/Scorpio nonsense, and there's some flak coming in about UWP (though whether that's sincere or just Sweeney trying to raise hackles is unknown). It's just there's little to criticize from those companies because, from a capitalistic standpoint, Sony and Microsoft are doing well (the former more so) and thus there's no reason to criticize them. Nintendo hasn't been doing well for years, and the human tendency is to never fight anyone unless you're certain they won't hit back.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

I'm kind of confused about the "Ninty's terrible" talk in this thread when I recall folks have already posted elsewhere on the talkhaus -- I think it was in the Twitter thread -- about a copyright troll going around targeting Nintendo fanga-

https://seafoamgaming.com/2016/08/07/no ... -takedown/
https://seafoamgaming.com/2016/08/08/is ... -worrying/

Oh. Well. That's rather depressing.

Well, I happened upon this project a while back and it convinced me to try the original Metroid II on virtual console. Greatly enjoyed it, got hyped for the remake and when I found out it was released last week I grabbed it via torrent and played it for a bit on my laptop. It's been a while since I played the original and I don't recall much in terms of layout and whatnot, but it's been a blast so far.
I got to the industrial facility and got stuck at a part that seemed like it needs precise wall jumps or a shine spark jump? Or whatever it's called, I never got that far in Super Metroid, I just remember it was a thing you could do in that game from a random clip on Youtube.
And then the first video I saw of AM2R after closing the game started with the player getting the Space Jump, so fair enough.

Haven't copied it over to my desktop yet, probably going to do that tonight or tomorrow due to IRL stuff.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Rockythechao wrote:
I got to the industrial facility and got stuck at a part that seemed like it needs precise wall jumps or a shine spark jump? Or whatever it's called, I never got that far in Super Metroid, I just remember it was a thing you could do in that game from a random clip on Youtube. And then the first video I saw of AM2R after closing the game started with the player getting the Space Jump, so fair enough.

Haven't copied it over to my desktop yet, probably going to do that tonight or tomorrow due to IRL stuff.

The Industrial Facility has the Space Jump hidden in it.

As long as you explore the building first, you should be fine.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Speaking of Nintendo, they struck down a Pokemon fangame today. After it had been downloaded 1.5 million times. I'm sure it's gone from the internet forever.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

YelseyKing wrote:Speaking of Nintendo, they struck down a Pokemon fangame today. After it had been downloaded 1.5 million times. I'm sure it's gone from the internet forever.
which one in particular was that?
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Tenlade wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:Speaking of Nintendo, they struck down a Pokemon fangame today. After it had been downloaded 1.5 million times. I'm sure it's gone from the internet forever.
Pokemon Uranium. At least according to the Trending sidebar on Facebook a week or so ago. I assume it's been mirrored approximately everywhere since then, of course.

Moists:

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

YelseyKing wrote:
Tenlade wrote:
Pokemon Uranium. At least according to the Trending sidebar on Facebook a week or so ago. I assume it's been mirrored approximately everywhere since then, of course.
Apparently it wasn't nintendo, they took it down themselves.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Well I just beat the Queen Metroid today. Was really baffled as I just shot missiles into it's mouth and it just died.
I did my victory walk to the door on the left, the game failed to transition and I fell through the world.

In other news! I don't like the Omega metroids or the Queen Metroid fight at all!

But other than that. Game is really good.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Yeah there's broken door transitions all over the place once you get past the Queen.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

I wasn't aware you could kill the Metroid Queen in multiple ways. :o

Also the Omega and the other higher forms of metroid gave me arguably less trouble than the freaking Alpha metroids, because I never learned how to dodge them correctly :/ That room with six of them in it would have given me nightmares if it weren't for the fact that I had enough health to tank through it
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

More bad news.

DoctorM64, the creator of the game, got a DMCA notice directly on the creator's own email. As a result, the creator announced two days ago that there will be no more updates/developments, making the 1.1 update and the original 1.0 the only versions.

Blog Post

I don't think this should have happened. When the initial wave of DMCA hit last month, I thought there was a status quo that mutually benefited: Nintendo can publicly protect its IP while unofficially appreciating the game, and fans can enjoy a very fine Metroid 2 remake. I wondered if striking the game down just after release was a cruel move (ruining things at the high moment for the game) or a grateful one (allowing the game to be completed and circulated before taking action). But this new move by Nintendo just reeks of negative intentions.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

ano0maly wrote:But this new move by Nintendo just reeks of negative intentions.
Bleh. Screw Nintendo and their copyright watchdogs. I hope more people mirror the game just out of pure spite. Hell, I'd upload it myself were it not for the fact that my webspace is owned by a friend, and I don't want Nintendo breathing down *his* neck.

That said... I wasn't even aware the game had been updated. Anywhere I can *get* the v1.1 update?

Moists:

ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Google search AM2R 1.1
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

ano0maly wrote:More bad news.

DoctorM64, the creator of the game, got a DMCA notice directly on the creator's own email. As a result, the creator announced two days ago that there will be no more updates/developments, making the 1.1 update and the original 1.0 the only versions.

Blog Post

I don't think this should have happened. When the initial wave of DMCA hit last month, I thought there was a status quo that mutually benefited: Nintendo can publicly protect its IP while unofficially appreciating the game, and fans can enjoy a very fine Metroid 2 remake. I wondered if striking the game down just after release was a cruel move (ruining things at the high moment for the game) or a grateful one (allowing the game to be completed and circulated before taking action). But this new move by Nintendo just reeks of negative intentions.
I wouldn't take it as negative, Its just nintendo's laywers doing thier job. this thing went on in development for nearly a decade and nintendo did nothing. taking it down at this point, when the game has not only released but had a bugfix, is the most empty and harmless action they could take.

Game's out, and nothing can stop someone other then the author from adding additional bugfixes or hosting the file.
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Maybe it's a bit late, but I will at least mention that a DMCA notice does not exist a cease and desist one. Technically, he was never forced to discontinue the game, just sent a notice which is basically 'take down the update files/any AM2R game files on the site'.

But hey, it's all water under the bridge now.