(shouting)

AM2R

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ozzy Ment
Resident biologist
First name: A secret to everyone
Pronouns: he/him/his

AM2R

Post by Ozzy Ment »

Two days ago, DoctorM64 released Another Metroid 2 Remake. I was going to post a link to the download site, but Nintendo, being its usual lovely self, ordered it taken down. Thankfully, the game was available for a bit before Nintendo got their filthy hands on it.

The developers spent years on this project, and it shows. It actually feels like an official Nintendo game. Metroid 2 was a very important chapter in the series' timeline, it's nice to see it modernized.
This fits me far too well:
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Re: AM2R

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

weird how nintendo still thinks the key to relevance is to be the only one using their IP at any given time even though sonic has basically remained a media empire for the exact opposite reason
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

I wonder what it is about Nintendo that makes them so hostile to the fans these days. It's not like *they* had any plans to ever remake Metroid 2. The Metroid series is the one they seem to be ignoring the hardest; even a lot of their crappy one-off NES games that everyone pretends to care about due to their cameos in Smash Bros. games seem to get more respect than Metroid these days.

Then a day later, I hear that they've dropped the hammer on a site hosting Nintendo Power magazine scans. You know, a magazine that's been out of print for years, and is impossible to find physical copies of nowadays... at least, if you're not willing to sacrifice an arm and a leg, your soul, *and* your firstborn child. You know, that magazine that they've never seen fit to do digital releases of *themselves*, which would probably sell like crazy if they *did*.

Oh well. Internet takedowns are a losing endeavor, anyhow. They can take down one or two sites, but the internet being what it is, it'll just invariably pop up somewhere else minutes later.

The Metroid 2 remake is fantastic, on topic. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

If they wanted to be total jerks, they could've sent the takedown notice before the game's release like Square has in the past. It's not perfect, but the game exists on the internet now, so enjoy it.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

I played the Demo of this way back in 2011. Gonna have to download the full game once I get a chance.
That crazy voice dude
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

Bean wrote:If they wanted to be total jerks, they could've sent the takedown notice before the game's release like Square has in the past. It's not perfect, but the game exists on the internet now, so enjoy it.
One of the more charitable theories I'd read was that Ninty deliberately waited until after it was released to call foul under DMCA (not under Trademark law, which is more applicable in this case) specifically because they wanted it to get out but couldn't endorse it in any way without running the risk of losing their hold over the trademark.

We'll never know, but I like to believe that. Given they had eight years to shut it down...
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Whimsical Calamari

raekuul wrote:
Bean wrote:If they wanted to be total jerks, they could've sent the takedown notice before the game's release like Square has in the past. It's not perfect, but the game exists on the internet now, so enjoy it.
One of the more charitable theories I'd read was that Ninty deliberately waited until after it was released to call foul under DMCA (not under Trademark law, which is more applicable in this case) specifically because they wanted it to get out but couldn't endorse it in any way without running the risk of losing their hold over the trademark.

We'll never know, but I like to believe that. Given they had eight years to shut it down...
it's plausible, to say the least. i heard about am2r years ago and i don't even follow news about metroid or fangames, so nintendo must have seen the demo videos and exes floating around. that it took a few days after the official release for them to do make the claim also suggests that they wanted to be sure it had a good chance to circulate

i'm still not a fan of the move, but if that's what really happened i can at least show mild appreciation
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Look, they're a corporation, so I think they just shut it down when it gathered some PR steam. But the game is out there, so again, play it. And find me a link that isn't a torrent since I was at work when this whole thing went down. Ha.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

Bean wrote:Look, they're a corporation, so I think they just shut it down when it gathered some PR steam. But the game is out there, so again, play it. And find me a link that isn't a torrent since I was at work when this whole thing went down. Ha.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160807094 ... gspot.com/

Initial impressions: Yeah, this is REALLY good. Better controller support than both Ultimate Alliance games too.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I seem to have found a link to it somewhere as if it were magic. Thank you, random mystery person in the world.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

You're welcome.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Truhan wrote:You're welcome.
Lettin ya know the downloads themselves have been shutdown due to copyright claims so your idea won't work sadly.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

pholtos wrote:
Truhan wrote:You're welcome.
Lettin ya know the downloads themselves have been shutdown due to copyright claims so your idea won't work sadly.
Mirror 1 worked fine for me. You just have to remove the archive stuff from the link.

Edit: Oh ho ho, they done went and removed it. Too late Nintendo, I already have the game you didn't make.
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Post by Juanbro »

I have played for almost 2 hours, and I am enjoying this game A LOT. I missed good ol' Metroid in its finest.

Funny enough, RoahmMythril started a 100% Let's Play of Metroid 2 a couple of days before AM2R was released, and, yeah, from what I saw of that Let's Play, the makers of this fangame managed to catch that atmosphere of loneliness and "creepyness" that Metroid 2 has, while updating the gameplay in every aspect.

And how Nintendo is trying to sue the makers of AM2R...they aren't doing anything wrong...they are trying to protect their IPs. But I really hope that this fangame, and several others that they had "canceled" are the well needed slap that Nintendo needs to receive and rethinks what their followers want: "Hey Nintendo! We are missing those good games that you used to make, and since you don't try to bring those good experiences back, at least we, the gamers that love Nintendo, will try to give our brethren what they desire and you fail to give".
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

Nintendo are a bunch of assholes, and it drives me nuts that everyone just gives them a pass on it.
Ozzy Ment
Resident biologist
First name: A secret to everyone

Post by Ozzy Ment »

Finished the game today. It took me bit to figure out the final boss (doesn't help that I never played the original). There were a few situations where Samus' near lack of mercy invincibility got me caught in some nasty combos, but this was an incredible game.The developers introduced some really neat mechanics and made good use of Samus' abilities.
This fits me far too well:
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Telamon wrote:Nintendo are a bunch of assholes, and it drives me nuts that everyone just gives them a pass on it.
Everyone? My good sir, I most certainly do not! :P

I mean, they still make good games...usually...when they're not bogging them down with crappy gimmick controls... but their behavior of late is just disgusting. It's like they *still*, after all this time, believe the internet is some kind of crazy fad that'll blow over eventually, and have little motivation to embrace it rather than ignore it and hope it goes away.

As an aside, game question: Are there any items hidden in or beyond the dark area with the "bubble" platforms where three Omega Metroids are located? Because if not, I missed some stuff and need to go back and find it. I'm at 97%, and I think I'm missing two Missile Expansions and a Power Bomb Expansion.

Also...
Truhan wrote:Edit: Oh ho ho, they done went and removed it. Too late Nintendo, I already have the game you didn't make.
Like I said, 24 hours in internet time may as well be an eternity, so Nintendo will never, by this point, be able to fully make the game go away. In other words, we win, they lose. Hee hee hee hee hee.
Last edited by YelseyKing 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Telamon wrote:Nintendo are a bunch of assholes, and it drives me nuts that everyone just gives them a pass on it.
Almost everything they do or even don't do nowadays is scrutinized. Sony feels like the company that gets a free pass right now, and hardly anyone gives a spit about Microsoft. The two things I'm annoyed at them at are region locking and not defending their own employees when they were being bothered online constantly.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

YelseyKing wrote:
Everyone? My good sir, I most certainly do not! :P
Glad I'm not the only one. Sometimes it feels that way, but probably the forum of a mario lper is not the best sample though!
Whimsical Calamari

Juanbro wrote:And how Nintendo is trying to sue the makers of AM2R.
not really. as far as i can tell, the dev never received a Cease & Desist order or a lawsuit. just DMCA takedowns on links that host the game.
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Post by Juanbro »

Whimsical Calamari wrote:
Juanbro wrote:And how Nintendo is trying to sue the makers of AM2R.
not really. as far as i can tell, the dev never received a Cease & Desist order or a lawsuit. just DMCA takedowns on links that host the game.
Thanks for the clarification.
Zia Satazaki
Floof Incarnate
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Zia Satazaki »

protip: magnet links are basically takedown-proof if they don't specify a tracker (and thus work fully peer-to-peer via DHT); the only reason one of those would ever cease to function is if nobody cared to seed it anymore.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Man, I remember playing metroid 2 a long time ago and didn't really like it so I didn't care too much for this, but virtually everyone is praising it lately so I'm kind of curious now

raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

If you liked Metroid Fusion, you'll enjoy this. It takes the basic idea of Metroid 2 and applies modern Metroid sensibilities to it.

Hell, if you liked the Metroids that were considered better than Fusion you'll probably enjoy this too. I just find Fusion to be the most apt comparison for this one considering your equipment and technical skill isn't the deciding factor in your exploration/progression.

E: It turns out that, on further reflection, Metroid II is the only game in the series that can only benefit from Modern Metroid Design Philosophy, as it was already rather linear (the only real sequence break in the game is the Acid Dive of Destiny after Ruins 3/Phase 4) due to having to hunt down all the metroids anyway. Why Nintendo hadn't already given it the Zero Mission treatment is beyond me.

I'm still on the fence about Zero Mission itself - I don't have the nostalgias for the original that most have and find it rather confusing at best. In Zero Mission it was at least easier to keep track of where I was.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

AM2R is to Metroid 2 what Zero Mission was to the first Metroid. Like what raekuul says below, it takes the idea of the old Metroid game and applies more modern Metroid stuff to it.

Though that means... ugh, shine spark bs. I have a personal hatred for shine spark. Specifically the mechanic where you conserve the energy and can use it again if you spark onto a slope. AM2R luckily kept that garbo mechanic to only 2 spots. It DID do the Metroid sin that Nintendo has done where they want you to gather enough speed for a shine spark where giving you a single extra tile of running real estate would have meant the difference between, "Okay I got this on the next try." and "I hate all video games. FUCK ALL VIDEO GAMES!"

That aside, if you liked Fusion or Zero Mission, give AM2R a try.