(shouting)

I am Waifuna

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

I am Waifuna

Post by Truhan »

This is the story of Setsuna; a young woman of incredible inner strength and the sacrifice she must make to save the people of her land.

The Island had a custom.
To maintain peace, once a decade, a sacrifice was offered to a fiend on the island.

However, one year, the fiend grew violent before the next sacrifice was due.
Those living on the island were afraid and tried to calm the fiend by offering a sacrifice; Setsuna, chosen because of her powers of enchantment.

Setsuna must leave with her safeguards for the farthest land, where the ceremony of sacrifice will be held.
This sounds like an incredible premise for a story, though I guess it completely rips off FFX on the surface. I picked it up more for that than for the fact that it's literally Chrono Trigger gameplaywise. Comes out at 10 AM CST tomorrow.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Re: I am Waifuna

Post by Truhan »

Some early impressions:

I can see why the soundtrack is being sold, it may very well be worth it if you like piano music. It's about what you'd expect from a classic SNES JRPG, but in very high quality and completely done in piano. It's refreshing compared to all the orchestral stuff. If I had to pick one word to describe it, it would be somber (though there are a lot of upbeat songs too). Most RPGs these days go for "epic," so it's a nice change of sound.

If you're studying Japanese, this is a good one to pick up. What little voice acting there is is all in Japanese, and is pretty basic stuff they say in battle ("owari, da na?" - "over already/it's finished, huh?" "amai" - "I was overconfident" or something to that effect, "minna, daijoubu?" - "is everyone okay?") and the game gives you the option to play in Japanese text every time you start up. You can't change languages on the fly like most good visual novel localizations, but it's a hell of a lot better than FFIX where they don't let you play in Japanese at all (the only way to play FFIX in Japanese is to buy it from a Japanese IP address, and you run the risk of Valve banning you for that).

Save points are about as sparse as you'd expect from a SNES JRPG. Characters that aren't in your party still gain experience, thank fuck.

Sap (aka poison) is a real shitfucker. It's got the pokemon effect of hurting you outside of battle, but it disappears on its own inside of battle after a while. It can tear you apart if you're not careful because of that.

The equipment system is a bit scaled back. There's a materia system for your techs, you only equip accessories ("talismans") and weapons (which can be upgraded through tempering). Accessories add interesting boosts (faster ATB, reduced mana consumption, higher crit chance, etc.) and materia slots. Weapons act as your entire gear, adding base stat boosts (including defense and evasion) and maybe doing something else once tempered, I don't know yet.

If you have anything resembling good taste in waifus, you'll immediately notice that Aeterna is best girl. She has a tomboyish voice actress and is your dagger-wielding assassin type. She wears a frog hoodie in an obvious nod to the Chrono Trigger character (she's the third PC you pick up).

I'll report in any breaking news as it develops.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Re: I am Waifuna

Post by Truhan »

BREAKING NEWS UPDATE:

I've had a lot more time with the games, so here are some more notes.

Tempering doesn't seem to work. I got some tempering materials that said they raise a weapons stats to half of their max. Logically, this would mean there's some limit on each weapon's stats and you can only use two on each weapon, right? Well, I bought 8 of these to mess around with, and most weapons were only able to take ONE. Another weapon was able to take FOUR. What's even stranger is that on the tempering menu, it shows stats and then points to high numbers or MAX. So this would mean the stats go up, right? Well, after tempering, not only do the stats not go up on the status screen, but I backtracked to a dungeon to fight some old enemies. My characters were doing and receiving the exact same damage as before. I was left scratching my head.

You meet a third waifu named Julienne, she's the dragoon/ice elemental character. This has allowed me to achieve my lifelong dream of having a balanced party consisting entirely of waifus because I can never seem to get around to Chrono Trigger. Anyways, Julienne is OP because she has Chakra, which restores HP AND MP. She can only use it on herself, but it'll also hit allies if they're close enough, making her a good character for party lead.

Grinding is a real pain. You really don't grind for experience, you grind for materials. The reason you grind for materials is because gold doesn't drop in this game. You kill enemies, get loot, most of that loot is ONLY good for being sold for gold. However, killing enemies under certain conditions (overkill/killing within a few hp, using the momentum system to kill, killing with an element) will cause them to drop different and more items. This causes you to feel like you MUST wait around for momentum gauges to fill, you MUST kill enemies with elements, etc. It makes regular battles a real slog and it feels NECESSARY because you're grinding for gold and the amount of materials you get from doing this make a significant difference. Gold is so hard to come by that you don't really want to buy any items when you need it for the weapons, absurdly priced tempering items (that do nothing), and the myriad of new talismans that you can never seem to catch up to.

MP is a very limited resource, at all points of the game. This makes you feel like you need to use characters with elemental-based weapons so you can save your MP by finishing enemies with attack instead of magic. There are no inns in the game, so the only way to restore MP is to use items (which you don't want to because gold) or level up or use Chakra.

I'm skeptical of the fluxuation system (yes, the game spells it that way). It's supposed to be random bonuses that pop up for using momentum a lot, but I can count on one hand the number of times it's happened for me. It's supposed to pop up a lot during longer (see: boss) battles, but I don't think I've EVER seen one during a boss battle.

Overall, gameplaywise, this game keeps leaving me scratching my head. The story is pretty damn good and the soundtrack only gets better, but I can see most people being turned off by the grind. You really can't go through the game just spamming attack over and over, you'd never be able to buy new weapons. Dunno if I'd recommend it unless you're the hardest of hardcore weeb.